Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options re: defective PCP vehicle

Options
  • 17-12-2019 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭

Hello all.

Looking for some advice please.

I'm forking out a hefty monthly chunk for a vehicle that's developed a problem. The exhaust is shaking violently at idle and low revs and it's getting worse over time. I don't want to make it worse by continuing to drive it.

The dealer in Naas has taken it back and confirmed the issue and are waiting for JLR to come back with technical assistance. In the meantime, they have given the car back to me. I have advised them that it is getting worse over time and therefore don't want to drive it. I appreciate that this is my decision but it is possible that damage is being done to the vehicle that might impact it's value and/or only come to light after the warranty has expired.

I have asked the dealer for a replacement vehicle of similar size/value while they keep my vehicle until it is fully repaired OR for a statement from them that my vehicle is not being damaged by continuing to drive it while the problem persists.

The dealer has stopped responding to my emails and calls despite my driving the 2 hour round trip on Saturday to talk to them in person.

Now I have a vehicle that as far as I am concerned I cannot drive yet I am forking out a substantial monthly sum for it.

I am researching my options with the dealer and SIMI etc and have also started to look into the financing side of it. The PCP is effectively a loan from BOI. I understand that in the UK there is redress for situations like this through the financial services route whereby a defective vehicle van render the contract void. However, all the terms that I read on the BOI T&C covered only the conditions imposed on the borrower.

Does anyone know what my options are re: the bank please ?

Also, if anyone has experience dealing with a dealer in these circumstances then please let me know any lessons learnt etc.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

It's a warranty issue, nothing to do with the bank. I doubt the dealer is ignoring you, they will get paid to fix the issue, they are likely just waiting for instructions from the distributor.

Give them a call for an update.

Fyi you can go to any dealer and not just the one you bought the car from

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

If they give the car back to you pending repair then it's safe to drive as under warranty, they'd give you a replacement and keep the car pending repair

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭bmc58

TheDriver wrote: »
    If they give the car back to you pending repair then it's safe to drive as under warranty, they'd give you a replacement and keep the car pending repair

Sensible reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I think the issue here is the op wanting a replacement the same type as his own. I completely understand this, I have a RR which developed a fault in the electric handbrake, 3 weeks from new. JLR took it back, they gave me a focus while it was being repaired, I’m pretty sure JLR outsource the replacement to hire companies.

I realise I'm probably gonna drag the thread off topic a little here, so my apologies OP, but why do people insist on a similar/same car when being given a replacement?

I could understand needing something like 'it has to be a 7 seater' or it has to have wheelchair access etc. but as above for example, why would you care about getting a Focus?

• Advertisement

I realise I'm probably gonna drag the thread off topic a little here, so my apologies OP, but why do people insist on a similar/same car when being given a replacement?

I could understand needing something like 'it has to be a 7 seater' or it has to have wheelchair access etc. but as above for example, why would you care about getting a Focus?

I had no problem at all with the focus, except I kept stalling it when I stopped, hadn’t driven a manual for 20 years.

Dav010 wrote: »
    I had no problem at all with the focus, except I kept stalling it when I stopped, hadn’t driven a manual for 20 years.

Ah that's a pretty valid point then, really. I'd be annoyed if i was given a car with a different transmission than what I was used to driving, too, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭scwazrh

If I bought a RR that broke down after 3 wks there is no way I would be happy with a focus as a replacement car

scwazrh wrote: »
    If I bought a RR that broke down after 3 wks there is no way I would be happy with a focus as a replacement car

But WHY not?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

But WHY not?

Public image :pac:

• Advertisement

Public image :pac:

Actually I had no problem with image, I do use the boot and tow bar a lot for carrying/towing equipment/machines, which I couldn’t do, but as it was only a few days, I didn’t mind. JLRs are not the cheapest cars on the road, personally I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask for replacement which at allows you to do what you bought your jeep for.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

OP how far into the finance agreement are you?

The only option you have is the “Half rule” but to be honest you could end up losing a fortune that route.

To be very honest, a Main dealer will not let a car out unless it’s roadworthy. They just can’t. Sometimes these problems can be soemtbing they’ve never seen before and they have to report the issue to the factory and wait for them to come back.

Again, it’s under warranty so they’ll be getting paid to fix it, it’s no skin off their teeth.

What don’t you bring it to a different LR garage? They may have seen the problem before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

But WHY not?

You're trying to make the point that all cars are the same.

But you wouldn't expect the courtesy car for a 6 star hotel to be 1.0 tiny car. Or turn up to a business meeting for closing a huge deal in knackered old rust bucket.

That said in many cases a focus would be perfectly fine. But not in every case.

beauf wrote: »
    You're trying to make the point that all cars are the same.

I'm really not. I get that some people are brand orientated, be it with cars, or shoes, or type of milk they buy, etc, etc.

The 'point I'm making' is more that it's a car that you'll be lumped with for a couple of days, maybe a week. Assuming the car they give you meets basic criteria you require (ie be an automatic, able to tow certain things, etc. if needed) I don't really see what the issue is otherwise?

Even if you think it's a heap of sh/te, you'll be back in your own car in a week anyway?

I'm really not. I get that some people are brand orientated, be it with cars, or shoes, or type of milk they buy, etc, etc....

You seem to making a sweeping generalization trivializing the importance of image as narcissism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭scwazrh

But WHY not?

If you buy a luxury suv that’s what you should be given as a replacement if the vehicle requires warranty repair work. Should be like for like when warranty is valid.
    Can’t expect someone who’s paid a min of €50k for a Range Rover to be happy driving around in a focus and thats without taking into account the fact that a 3wk old vehicle should not break down.

You seem to making a sweeping generalization trivializing the importance of image as narcissism.

I'm not sure if that's a sarcastic comment or not? Image is entirely, 100% narcissistic. It's practically the definition?

Not sure if I'm just missing humour in your post, though.. (I hope I am)?

...Image is entirely, 100% narcissistic. It's practically the definition?...

It has many meanings and interpretations.
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/image

Besides the more crucial word in what I said was "trivialising".

Seems like you're entrenched on narcissism so it's probably futile discussing it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If you buy a luxury suv that’s what you should be given as a replacement if the vehicle requires warranty repair work. Should be like for like when warranty is valid.
    Can’t expect someone who’s paid a min of €50k for a Range Rover to be happy driving around in a focus and thats without taking into account the fact that a 3wk old vehicle should not break down.
    +1
    I bought a 2016 Tesla Model S and it was into Tesla for some warranty work after a month.

What was I given as a replacement, a 103k brand new Model S long range with 500 kilometers on the clock.
    It's pretty standard for dealers of premium cars to give you a better car than your own as a loaner to show you "what you could get when you buy your new one"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Thanks all for the comments. Some valid points. Just a note on some of them: -

"it's safe to drive as under warranty"
    - I've actually asked them to confirm to me that it is no damage is being done to it given the nature of the issue. It's vibrating quite badly. The engine is too. It couldn't be good for it and I don't want to be hit with the ultimate cost down the road. Regardless, I'm paying 600 per month for it and it sounds and drives like a tractor.

"but why do people insist on a similar/same car when being given a replacement"
    You are dragging off topic. See above. I'm paying good money for a luxury vehicle. Why shouldn't I expect the Main Dealer to replace it with a similar vehicle while in to repair a known fault ? Let's drop this one.

"Give them a call for an update."
    I have been calling and emailing. I drove the 2 hour round trip on the weekend to see if I could talk to someone. 'let me send xyz and email and he will respond after the weekend' ... nothing. I've started copying in the owner. They refuse to state in writing that the car is not being damaged. I can understand why but it's not acceptable. If they don't want to make that commitment then give me a loaner and lets take it off the road.

For info - when they did have it in for a few days they gave my wife a Qashqai with crap tyres and she had a blowout on M9. Two kids in the back. Could have happened the Jag I accept but I take a lot of care in mitigating against that.

I'm accepting now that I am at their mercy. Going to another LR dealer isn't really an option given life pressures.

It's a late 172 with 20k miles.

Here's a short vid of the exhaust shaking.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/kVtDhd8JuLlLaqudjOnRNj80NEaXqEpwEuLVtgVmzvK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Christ that’s annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

E39MSport wrote: »
    Thanks all for the comments. Some valid points. Just a note on some of them: -

"it's safe to drive as under warranty"
    - I've actually asked them to confirm to me that it is no damage is being done to it given the nature of the issue. It's vibrating quite badly. The engine is too. It couldn't be good for it and I don't want to be hit with the ultimate cost down the road. Regardless, I'm paying 600 per month for it and it sounds and drives like a tractor.

"but why do people insist on a similar/same car when being given a replacement"
    You are dragging off topic. See above. I'm paying good money for a luxury vehicle. Why shouldn't I expect the Main Dealer to replace it with a similar vehicle while in to repair a known fault ? Let's drop this one.

"Give them a call for an update."
    I have been calling and emailing. I drove the 2 hour round trip on the weekend to see if I could talk to someone. 'let me send xyz and email and he will respond after the weekend' ... nothing. I've started copying in the owner. They refuse to state in writing that the car is not being damaged. I can understand why but it's not acceptable. If they don't want to make that commitment then give me a loaner and lets take it off the road.

For info - when they did have it in for a few days they gave my wife a Qashqai with crap tyres and she had a blowout on M9. Two kids in the back. Could have happened the Jag I accept but I take a lot of care in mitigating against that.

I'm accepting now that I am at their mercy. Going to another LR dealer isn't really an option given life pressures.

It's a late 172 with 20k miles.

Here's a short vid of the exhaust shaking.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/kVtDhd8JuLlLaqudjOnRNj80NEaXqEpwEuLVtgVmzvK

Is there a twitter page/facebook page for the dealer or even lr themselves...id post the video there, a brief synopsis of what is happening and see how quick the dealer will get back to you...
    There hitting peak season for sales so will not want any thing to disrupt that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Father in Law's 190k 3 month old RR developed an issue with PHEV system, he got a Tucson for three days. Didn't bother him, although he did forget that he had to put on the handbrake himself and it went for a small wander out the back out the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

We're still stuck on the topic of replacement vehicle.
    As mentioned, there is no fix for this and I'm looking at an extended period of time. Happy to pay the monthly rate for a cheaper replacement if that's the case.

Happy to get a response from them at this stage tbh.

I'm loath to go near social media but good point also.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

If I had an epic hotel room booked for 3 nights and the first night I was forced into a tiny basement dwelling for some reason, the least I'd expect is the difference in price.

Same with forking out each month on a car but having to drive some less comfortable one. Why would you want a similar car? Why would you not for the same price!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Of nearly every manufacturer Ive worked for the instructions we receive from the top so to speak is to "keep the customer mobile at all costs."
    Its not feasible all the time to give them the same model that they are driving..sometimes its a case of putting them into a smaller car.Dealers dont always have a specific car in stock as a courtesy car or a demo.
    While we try our best to get them into something similar its not always possible.
    And image definately comes into it..the amount of times people have complained that they arent parking a (insert small car here) because of what the neighbours think is ridiculous.

It would be ironic to sell something on image then turn around and suggest image is irrelevant on the cover car. It's a first world issue for sure. But they are your customers in the first place ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

It would be ironic to sell something on image then turn around and suggest image is irrelevant on the cover car. It's a first world issue for sure. But they are your customers in the first place ;)

I get you. But sometimes its only for something as simple as a service or maybe even a few days while waiting on a part.

If its long term say a week or more we do put them into a similar sized vehicle than their own.

Its only practical for sure. But its an interesting thought.

• Advertisement
Advertisement