Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I entitled to a refund?

Options
  • 17-12-2019 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭

Bought a jersey for my son in Lifestyle Sports yesterday. Turns out someone else has bought him the same jersey. Brought it back today for a refund. Was told because the item was on sale (still cost €50!) that they would only refund to a gift card. This wasn’t mentioned at the time of purchase and there are no signs to this effect in store. It is however printed on the back of the receipt. I’ve refused the gift card but do I have any rights as a consumer to get my money back on to my bank card?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Nope.

Take the gift card, they’ve no obligation to refund you for a change of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

remoteboy wrote: »
    Bought a jersey for my son in Lifestyle Sports yesterday. Turns out someone else has bought him the same jersey. Brought it back today for a refund. Was told because the item was on sale (still cost €50!) that they would only refund to a gift card. This wasn’t mentioned at the time of purchase and there are no signs to this effect in store. It is however printed on the back of the receipt. I’ve refused the gift card but do I have any rights as a consumer to get my money back on to my bank card?

Thanks for reading.

You don't have any rights at all for a refund for a change of mind unfortunately.

If the goods were faulty or not fit for purpose you might be able to push for one (but even then retailer is only obligated to offer a repair, refund or replacement and you'd have to look at a small claims court action to try enforce a refund if that was what you were insisting on)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Absolutely furious with them. Terrible way to treat a customer. Quick google says if I bought it online from them I’d be covered by change of mind policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Absolutely furious with them. Terrible way to treat a customer. Quick google says if I bought it online from them I’d be covered by change of mind policy.

Should’ve bought it online then.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's not a terrible way to treat a customer they are actually exceeding what you are entitled to under consumer law. They could have told you to PFO and while being legal that would be a terrible way to treat a customer.

You should have done a proper Google before you went shopping not after you changed your mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭ratracer

Did the other person buy it online? Could they return it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭remoteboy

ratracer wrote: »
    Did the other person buy it online? Could they return it?

Thanks for the suggestion. Thats what they’re going to do. Cleanest option all round.

Fully accept everyone’s comments above. Just venting. Should have looked into their policies before giving them my custom. I’ll know better next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Quite often the reaction of people when they dont get their way. Take the credit note and get a different jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Thanks for reading.

You hardly expect them to run through terms and conditions with each customer at the point of sale?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

And then you probably would have had to pay for the return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Thanks for reading.

Grab the gift card

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Thanks for the suggestion. Thats what they’re going to do. Cleanest option all round.

Fully accept everyone’s comments above. Just venting. Should have looked into their policies before giving them my custom. I’ll know better next time.
    Most stores would have same policy. Very few stores offer a refund. One of the reasons is some people will wear something for a few hours and then return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

A good reminder of how difficult it must be to work in retail now, op is furious and will know better than to give them his custom, because he couldn’t get a refund on an unwanted gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi OP

jut wanted to point out that they did go above and beyond their statutory obligations by offering you a gift card for the value of your unwanted purchase and surely that is good customer service?

Yeah, in fairness, a gift card isn't too shabby. If you were planning on spending €50 on someone in a sports shop, and it turns out they already have the product you bought them, just gifting them the gift card would still be a pretty decent christmas present, and they can wander in themselves and spend it on whatever they like.

Might still be a better option than returning the other one (although im not sure of that exact shop, but sometimes you can return to stores within the 'cooling off period' you get by buying online, so that may be a workaround for you here, though I still think a voucher to the value of the jersey isn't too shabby a gift at all).

Advertisement