Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

double socket to single

Options
  • 17-12-2019 3:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have an external double socket fitted.

I want to replace the external double socket

Does it have to be replaced with another double socket or can a single socket be used?

(from the point of view of wiring, spare wires, dimensions etc)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

You could expect that a single socket of the same type would be approximately half the size. It would be wired exactly the same. The question is, why not have a double socket ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

^
    +1
    Anywhere you need one socket you could always do with 2.
    The only reason to use a single is for aesthetics, which really doesnt matter when talking about weatherproof boxes IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

2011 wrote: »
    You could expect that a single socket of the same type would be approximately half the size. It would be wired exactly the same. The question is, why not have a double socket ?

hi, to be honest, I dont need a double socket

hi, to be honest, I dont need a double socket

Are you trying to save money by only buying a single or whats the reason for not replacing like with like?

In fact, why are you replacing it, is it broken?

GreeBo wrote: »
    Are you trying to save money by only buying a single or whats the reason for not replacing like with like?

In fact, why are you replacing it, is it broken?

I just prefer the look of the single one and its just neater, I have never even used the other socket in the double setup.

all I am asking is if the single will work on the double socket wiring etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I just prefer the look of the single one and its just neater, I have never even used the other socket in the double setup.

That's fair enough. Just be aware that you may find that the wall is discoloured behind the double socket which will no longer be fully covered by the single socket. There may also be holes drilled to fix the double socket in place that will also now be exposed. These minor issues can of course be resolved, but it is better to be aware of them before proceeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

What is the socket screwed to at the minute...straight to the wall or to a box?

What is the socket screwed to at the minute...straight to the wall or to a box?

Hi. Straight to the wall. Why?

Hi. Straight to the wall. Why?

A double socket is around 146mm in length. A single socket is around 86 mm in length so there is roughly a 60mm difference in length. This is your problem, not the wiring. The wiring is the same for a single or a double socket.
    If you were to do a straight swap then you will have a 60mm gap. As you have said the socket is screwed directly to the wall this means the box for the socket has been chased into the wall. It's possible to replace the double box with a single box and then fill the 30mm either side of it with cement and paint it(or whatever finish is on the wall at present) but to be honest is it really worth the hassle?

I'd save myself the hassle and just buy a nicer looking double socket tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

GreeBo wrote: »
    I'd save myself the hassle and just buy a nicer looking double socket tbh.
    I'd save myself the hassle and expense and just leave the existing double socket where it is. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

A double socket is around 146mm in length. A single socket is around 86 mm in length so there is roughly a 60mm difference in length. This is your problem, not the wiring. The wiring is the same for a single or a double socket.
    If you were to do a straight swap then you will have a 60mm gap. As you have said the socket is screwed directly to the wall this means the box for the socket has been chased into the wall. It's possible to replace the double box with a single box and then fill the 30mm either side of it with cement and paint it(or whatever finish is on the wall at present) but to be honest is it really worth the hassle?

Hi. Not sure what you mean by filling the wall and all this. Attached is what it looks like.
    Just screwed in to the wall.

Hi. Not sure what you mean by filling the wall with cement and all this. Attached is what it looks like.

Hi.
    Not sure what you mean by filling the wall with cement and chasing and all this. Attached is what it looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

It is an exterior socket, so there won't be a box chased into the wall, although I can't see the picture the OP attached.

To answer the original question, which has already been answered a few times, wiring is the exact same.

I won't answer the questions which you didn't ask but if you did ask, I would answer as per previous posters and leave well enough alone or replace double with a new double.
    Just realised that I have now also answered questions which you didn't ask :rolleyes:

sorry for the repeat posts, was trying to post a picture and keep it under size

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

Seriously, you must have a very short 'To Do List'?
    Leave well enough alone, you may find yourself needing a second socket in the future.

Hi.
    Not sure what you mean by filling the wall with cement and chasing and all this. Attached is what it looks like.

This is why I asked how it's fixed to the wall. You said it's screwed straight to the wall but in the picture it is screwed to a box. Ignore what I said.

Based on the picture you can replace it with any size you want, but it's a total waste of time and money as that looks perfect to me already.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,461 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Put the effort into pressure washing instead :D

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Put the effort into pressure washing instead :D

The socket is definitely not the worst looking thing in the picture ðŸ˜

i Think this thread has run its course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement