Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feminist Gifts Limerick?

• 17-12-2019 4:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Hi all. I don't really spend time in Limerick anymore with being away etc. Just wondering if there are any shops in town that would sell feminist gifts, like tshirts, or sweaters, etc.
    I know I can buy online, but I'd rather support local, but can't think of anywhere that might have them.
    I searched online, but to no avail..
    Doing my best to try and get something with a positive message that isn't made in a sweatshop in Bangladesh...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

A white t-shirt in Dunnes and a few markers from Easons.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Feminist gift? WTF? Is this actually a thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Get one of those "I was going to get a you a gift but I gave the money to Yemen instead" cards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

How dare you to presume that this strong, independent and potent woman doesn't already have everything in her life that she needs already without the need for interference, patronisation and monetary contribution from a man.

* Definitely don't get her an apron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Replies just as I expected. :) I now know why I already deleted two previous profiles.
    Yeah, feminist gifts are a thing. Well, maybe not a thing, but they're available. Political slogans, pics of famous powerful women etc.

• Advertisement

Feminist gift? WTF? Is this actually a thing?

Why wouldn't or shouldn't it be a thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Granadino wrote: »
    Replies just as I expected. :) I now know why I already deleted two previous profiles.
    Yeah, feminist gifts are a thing. Well, maybe not a thing, but they're available. Political slogans, pics of famous powerful women etc.

Ahh! Being oppressed by the patriarchy is why you deleted those...
    Damn men!

Maybe tweet ROSA and ask if they have any suggestions?
    And "powerful women" aren't feminist, they are successful and inspirational regardless of their gender, not despite it.

Mango Joe wrote: »
    How dare you to presume that this strong, independent and potent woman doesn't already have everything in her life that she needs already without the need for interference, patronisation and monetary contribution from a man.

She doesn't need anything. Nobody needs any presents at Christmas in reality, but let's go ahead and celebrate capitalism anyway :)

Get her tickets to The Nutcracker in the Bord Gais Energy Theatre in February.

banie01 wrote: »
    Ahh! Being oppressed by the patriarchy is why you deleted those...
    Damn men!

Maybe tweet ROSA and ask if they have any suggestions?
    And "powerful women" aren't feminist, they are successful and inspirational regardless of their gender, not despite it.

Maybe. But if, as a man, I agree in equal pay, equal rights for woman etc, does that make me a feminist? I'll check out Rosa thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,097 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Maybe. But if, as a man, I agree in equal pay, equal rights for woman etc, does that make me a feminist? I'll check out Rosa thanks.

You can be egalitarian without being a feminist, equality for everyone.

Also, the gender pay gap is a myth. If it's not, why don't companies just hire lots of women? Would save them a fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Are cookery books still a thing?

o1s1n wrote: »
    You can be egalitarian without being a feminist, equality for everyone.

Also, the gender pay gap is a myth. If it's not, why don't companies just hire lots of women? Would save them a fortune.

I would agree with you. I wouldn't consider myself a feminist, but an egalitarian. I never march or campaign for womens rights etc.

Anyway, I asked a question in my original post, I'm not interested in the gender pay gap and to suggest it's a myth is bull****, but that's not the question I asked in my original post.

Are cookery books still a thing?

What's the average age of posters on here? :confused::confused:

This forum is gone as bad as Joe.ie. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

What's the average age of posters on here? :confused::confused:

This forum is gone as bad as Joe.ie. :rolleyes:
    Thread title draws them in like flies to shyte, to make the same jaded comments.

osarusan wrote: »
    Thread title draws them in like flies to shyte, to make the same jaded comments.

Yup. To be honest I was half expecting these types of comments but thought I'd try and see if I could get some info anyway. It's an anonymous internet forum, what should have I expected! Constructive comments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

The world is a cruel place.

The world is a cruel place.

It is indeed. That's a pretty pathetic present. Not to mention the waste of plastic and cardboard. But if you try a few more searches, you'll find ones with pics of boys. Sad either way. Suggests that's all girls are interested in or that fellas are incapable of cleaning... though I guess the keyboard warriors here chuck their dominos pizza boxes and milk cartons under the bed along with their semen coated underpants. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

if feminism is about equality, shouldnt it be of famous powerful people, instead of just women?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,243 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

OP, perhaps contact Limerick Feminist Network on Facebook.
    Boards is full of the matriarchy trying to chop poor oppressed willies off - not really a place for sensible replies to your sort of query.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Answer the OP question, Duo have some prints and those small books about Freida Kahlo etc. The Together for Yes book or the She Said book from O Mahony's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Couple of grands worth of a Pendleton, but only if you really love her, and she needs to loose some 'curves', or is a bit 'curvy' (as they call it these days).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Couple of grands worth of a Pendleton, but only if you really love her, and she needs to loose some 'curves', or is a bit 'curvy' (as they call it these days).

I'm going to guess you mean Peleton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

The Cat shop in Petsville...it's on third!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

Duo have sustainable and Irish-made gifts.

Might not have feminist slogans, but at least are not contributing to fast fashion/single use culture.

Thanks for the Duo recommendations. As long as it doesn't contribute to fast fashion etc, I'd be happy enough with that. It doesn't have to be something with a "girl power" slogan, so I'll have a look.
    I'm not on Facebook and Duo don't seem to have their hours updated online Any idea if they are open late this week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Why wouldn't or shouldn't it be a thing?

There just seems to be something sad about a person latching onto feminism so much that their identity revolves around it enough to receive Christmas presents related to it. And I'd absolutely say the same about a lad who's a meninist or whatever they'd be called

Arrival wrote: »
    There just seems to be something sad about a person latching onto feminism so much that their identity revolves around it enough to receive Christmas presents related to it. And I'd absolutely say the same about a lad who's a meninist or whatever they'd be called

Well said.

Get him/her/them a box of those new-fangled Celebrations chocolates in Doonays Boutique. I hear they’re fierce popular with the feminists these days.

Feminist gifts. WTF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Honest answer: there's a book/comic going around called "the mental load". The gf has it at the moment and won't stop bugging me about things in it so it must be a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Honest answer: there's a book/comic going around called "the mental load". The gf has it at the moment and won't stop bugging me about things in it so it must be a good one.

Jesus I can only imagine what that is about...I wouldn't mind but half the feminists on my social media page are living off the wealth of their fathers affording them a lifestyle they could never afford by themselves...and they'd be prattling on about the oppressive patriarchy....you couldn't make it up!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement