Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you just "don't get"?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I think it’s brilliant, can’t understand the dislike (from a very small minority) at all.

You think only a small minority of people dislike Mrs. Brown’s Boys? You do live in your own little world, don’t you? :D:D:D

It gets decent ratings because it’s lowest common denominator junk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

I think it’s brilliant, can’t understand the dislike (from a very small minority) at all.
    It's crude vulgar trash. The fact that it's shown abroad makes me visibly cringe with embarrassment. It's not funny, it's a midget in drag acting like some dirty old harpie. I can't even bear to watch the adverts and reach for the remote as soon as I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Notoldorwise

Designer clothes. You're only paying for the logo. I buy most of my clothes in Dunnes Stores. Not only are they a fraction of the cost but they're generally a lot more comfortable too.

Great post, considering your username.😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Buying kids bucket loads of presents, far as i see it only makes them stressed as they think they need to use them all immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Monkey2019

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Buying kids bucket loads of presents, far as i see it only makes them stressed as they think they need to use them all immediately

Yep discovered that this year.
    Next year he's getting one present 😬😅

• Advertisement

Designer clothes. You're only paying for the logo. I buy most of my clothes in Dunnes Stores. Not only are they a fraction of the cost but they're generally a lot more comfortable too.

Couldn’t disagree more, designer clothes look better, fit better and last vastly longer than cheap crap.

I don’t go around buying heaps of clothes but when I buy I only buy good quality designer clothes and they just last and last and stand up to washing etc far longer than cheap stuff along with looking far better.

I even have lots of designer socks and boy are they comfy compared to the usual cheap stuff.

Monkey2019 wrote: »
    Yep discovered that this year.
    Next year he's getting one present 😬😅

My other half believes in buying all in the shop, her family are the same, buying presents for each other several times per year, i buy my sisters nothing and they get me nothing, i also buy my mother nothing bar a Christmas card, she gets me nothing

No pressure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    My other half believes in buying all in the shop, her family are the same, buying presents for each other several times per year, i buy my sisters nothing and they get me nothing

Thank Jesus there's another person out there thinks the same as me.

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    Thank Jesus there's another person out there thinks the same as me.

I can't walk across the sitting room without breaking a train set, the fifteen month old got an elmo who talks and she's afraid of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Sex. I understand the need and desire for it , I just don't/ can't get it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Couldn’t disagree more, designer clothes look better, fit better and last vastly longer than cheap crap.

I don’t go around buying heaps of clothes but when I buy I only buy good quality designer clothes and they just last and last and stand up to washing etc far longer than cheap stuff along with looking far better.

I even have lots of designer socks and boy are they comfy compared to the usual cheap stuff.
    I would agree that expensive shoes/runners last longer. I've had the same pair of Nike runners over 7 years now and they're still in great condition. But I haven't noticed a difference in expensive clothes generally. Not all cheap clothes are poor quality. They can last just as long as the more expensive clothes once you look after them. In most cases you're really just paying for the logo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I would agree that expensive shoes/runners last longer. I've had the same pair of Nike runners over 7 years now and they're still in great condition. But I haven't noticed a difference in expensive clothes generally. Not all cheap clothes are poor quality. They can last just as long as the more expensive clothes once you look after them. In most cases you're really just paying for the logo.
    I agree with this up to a point. Some of the designer gear is crap and nearly anything you buy in Penneys is crap. I used to work for a "Cash for Clothes" outlet and within reason, I was allowed take clothes home. I got a brand new Nike track suit bottoms (still with the label on) and within a few washes they looked like I had been washing them for months. I would have been p!ssed if I had actually paid for them. On the other hand, I got a Hollister hoodie that I wore for months and it never looked old until my parrot got hold of it and ruined the zip, rendering it unwearable :( I've bought the cheap hoodies in Penneys for €8 and after a few washes they are all bally and look old and tatty. The lesson I learned is that cheap clothes don't pretend to be anything other than cheap. Designer are hit and miss.

I spelt it out quite clearly I thought. If lots of the clergy are gay, and a percentage of those are pedophiles, then it leads to boys being raped.

You're the one bringing up the association between being gay and being a pedophile.
    It wasn't you.
    It was two other posters.
    You explained yourself quite well.
    That doesn't explain why you are defending people equating homosexuality with pedophilia.
    Can we stop with this shyte please? I know it's not just you two and it started a few pages ago with some stupid comment from someone but lets all agree that homosexuality and paedophilia are two different things.

Yes if someone seemed to be homosexual they were probably sent to the priesthood but that didn't make them anymore likely to be a child abuser than their heterosexual counterparts. Priests raped boys because they were sexually frustrated and the boys were more easily available as alter boys or in the Christian Brother schools. Priests weren't above abusing girls but generally Nuns were put in charge of torturing girls, so Priest had less access to them but a lot of abuse still went on in the laundaries.

I read somewhere once that said priests raped boys because it was less sinful. I don't remember where I read that so can't post a link but if it's true, it's still sick. Let's all just remember that what priests did was disgusting and unforgivable and homosexuality and paedophilia are two different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

A lot of child abusers wouldn't necessarily come across as or self-identify as gay, I'd say they're more sexually incontinent and immoral, the ones in the recent English football scandals would initially present themselves as 'normal blokes' to the youngsters they were meant to be in care of to gain their confidence. F***ing scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

It's crude vulgar trash. The fact that it's shown abroad makes me visibly cringe with embarrassment.

It’s actually filmed abroad too. Filmed live at BBC Scotland studios in Glasgow. Even more embarrassing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Paddy Cow wrote: »

Yes if someone seemed to be homosexual they were probably sent to the priesthood but that didn't make them anymore likely to be a child abuser than their heterosexual counterparts. Priests raped boys because they were sexually frustrated and the boys were more easily available as alter boys or in the Christian Brother schools. Priests weren't above abusing girls but generally Nuns were put in charge of torturing girls, so Priest had less access to them but a lot of abuse still went on in the laundaries.

Sorry but that sounds like what youre saying is the only reason there were/are paedophile priests is because they were celibate and sexually frustrated men?
    That is wrong, they were paedophile priests because they were paedophiles, some of them happened to be gay and raped boys some of them weren't and raped girls but they were all paedophiles.
    I agree that homosexuality and paedophilia are two separate things FWIW

Sorry but that sounds like what youre saying is the only reason there were/are paedophile priests is because they were celibate and sexually frustrated men?
    That is wrong, they were paedophile priests because they were paedophiles, some of them happened to be gay and raped boys some of them weren't and raped girls but they were all paedophiles.
    I agree that homosexuality and paedophilia are two separate things FWIW
    We can only speculate on why they did what they did because it's not like they will ever actually open an investigation into it but yes, I do think there were a lot of non paedo, non gay priests who wanted their jollies and ended up raping boys/girls/whoever was most vulnerable. We know that men will rape other men in prisons just to get sex because they are sexually frustrated and they would never have sex with a man if they had the choice of a woman, so is it really that hard to believe that sexually repressed men took it out on kids?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

We can only speculate on why they did what they did because it's not like they will ever actually open an investigation into it but yes, I do think there were a lot of non paedo, non gay priests who wanted their jollies and ended up raping boys/girls/whoever was most vulnerable. We know that men will rape other men in prisons just to get sex because they are sexually frustrated and they would never have sex with a man if they had the choice of a woman, so is it really that hard to believe that sexually repressed men took it out on kids?
    I think you couldn't be more wrong tbh, there were plenty of outlets for sexually repressed priests, parishioners housekeepers etc for the heterosexual priests while there were many gay priests who would visit gay saunas when they could.
    According to your logic anyone can find themselves in a situation where sex with a boy or girl is inevitable if one is forced to forego sex for long enough.
    That idea is abhorrent to me and I assume to right minded people
    Regarding the assertion about prisons it's more of a subjugation exercise rather than a sexual act, it goes on more in the states where there's more tension between the different ethnicities, it is frowned upon here by any other prisoners.

I agree with this up to a point. Some of the designer gear is crap and nearly anything you buy in Penneys is crap. I used to work for a "Cash for Clothes" outlet and within reason, I was allowed take clothes home. I got a brand new Nike track suit bottoms (still with the label on) and within a few washes they looked like I had been washing them for months. I would have been p!ssed if I had actually paid for them. On the other hand, I got a Hollister hoodie that I wore for months and it never looked old until my parrot got hold of it and ruined the zip, rendering it unwearable :( I've bought the cheap hoodies in Penneys for €8 and after a few washes they are all bally and look old and tatty. The lesson I learned is that cheap clothes don't pretend to be anything other than cheap. Designer are hit and miss.
    Yeah the stuff in Penny's is muck. You can tell just by holding the clothes that they will last no length. Light hoodies with flimsy zippers that break easily. I got some hoodies and sweaters in Dunnes that have lasted a few years. It's a bit more expensive than Penny's but still a lot cheaper than what you'd pay to have a designer logo. For casual/work wear it does the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Jeans last for years where ever you buy them,a lot of fashion is based on the brand, people pay 5 times more for brand x versus penny,s jean,s .
    i don,t get people walking around in ripped jeans in winter .
    are they not cold .
    My jeans fit me fine, i buy jeans in pennys or dunnes stores.yes designer cloth,s may use certain high quality material,s that cheaper cloth,s do not use.
    I don,t get spending 1000 on an iphone , when the same apps are avaidable on android for 2-300 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Channing TATUM,I just dnt get why women find him attractive.

riclad wrote: »
    Jeans last for years where ever you buy them,a lot of fashion is based on the brand, people pay 5 times more for brand x versus penny,s jean,s .
    are they not cold .
    My jeans fit me fine, i buy jeans in pennys or dunnes stores.yes designer cloth,s may use certain high quality material,s that cheaper cloth,s do not use.
    I don,t get spending 1000 on an iphone , when the same apps are avaidable on android for 2-300 euro.
    Why is is impossible to buy a pair of jeans/trousers/tracksuit bottoms that aren't skinny and can cover ankles? It's winter and fcuking cold. I don't want my ankles/socks on display. And skinny anything looks terrible on me.

Why is is impossible to buy a pair of jeans/trousers/tracksuit bottoms that aren't skinny and can cover ankles? It's winter and fcuking cold. I don't want my ankles/socks on display. And skinny anything looks terrible on me.
    It's easy to get chinos and tracksuit bottoms that aren't skinny, but jeans is a different story. I've tried everywhere. They're a pain in the balls, literally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

riclad wrote: »
    are they not cold .

Twenty years ago a pair Levi's would have lasted me several years now I'm lucky to get eight or nine months out of them before the crotch becomes threadbare and splits, so obviously the durability is no longer there, built in obsolescence, kerching!

They were predators who had unlimited access to children and usually chose children that would be too terrified to tell their parents. Most parents of children they abused would have been too frightened to report it and if they did report it to the Police it would have been swept under the carpet. The child would have been called a liar or mentally ill and the parents would have been gradually forced out of town. The rest of the parish would make life hell for them.

It's easy to forget what an iron grip the church had all over the world. I think a lot of it was a power trip, being gay doesn't make a man a pedophile. Some of them raped both girls and boys. It was opportunistic a lot of the time, just as nuns beat the living hell out of children in schools and institutions, again a case of predators preying on the vulnerable who couldn't fight back. Take a look at what's been happening in places like Haiti where the NGO's were raping women and children and forcing other to have sex with them in return for food and medicine. Abuses of power happen when people have the means to prey on the vulnerable. I've no doubt it's going on in all areas where NGO agencies are operating in disaster zones etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

They were predators who had unlimited access to children and usually chose children that would be too terrified to tell their parents. Most parents of children they abused would have been too frightened to report it and if they did report it to the Police it would have been swept under the carpet. The child would have been called a liar or mentally ill and the parents would have been gradually forced out of town. The rest of the parish would make life hell for them.

It's easy to forget what an iron grip the church had all over the world. I think a lot of it was a power trip, being gay doesn't make a man a pedophile. Some of them raped both girls and boys. It was opportunistic a lot of the time, just as nuns beat the living hell out of children in schools and institutions, again a case of predators preying on the vulnerable who couldn't fight back. Take a look at what's been happening in places like Haiti where the NGO's were raping women and children and forcing other to have sex with them in return for food and medicine. Abuses of power happen when people have the means to prey on the vulnerable. I've no doubt it's going on in all areas where NGO agencies are operating in disaster zones etc.

Years ago Priests where worshipped by the congregation.You groomed the parents by going to the house.And getting your face in basically.Its about power,not sex.They went for the weakest.Knowing they would get away with it.Even if the kids told their parents,the parents would believe the priests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

so is it really that hard to believe that sexually repressed men took it out on kids?

eh, wow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

People who end a question with "will you?" As in "Turn off the TV will you?" No please or thank you, just "will you?" It's the f**king height of rudeness and poor manners.

I actually don't get gambling. Even the Lotto. Like I have ten euro and I could risk not having that ten euro anymore for a load more money? I'd rather just have my ten euro.

That said I have bet on sporting events twice and played the Lotto a handful of times. I once won 9 euro. But probably spent about 100 over the years for that return. I just don't understand it at all.

• Advertisement

It's easy to get chinos and tracksuit bottoms that aren't skinny, but jeans is a different story. I've tried everywhere. They're a pain in the balls, literally.

I've been on holidays in Italy several times in the last few years, I'm not the trendiest dresser but I find the selection of casual clothes for middle aged men in Cork woeful so when I'm abroad I usually take a look around, for the last 10 years or more the trend has been to cut clothes very tightly which flatters few. In Italy it tends to be even more extreme with guys in their 60's stitched into suits and bare ankles. I can't even get into a trousers that they class "relaxed" or "casual" fit.

Seamai wrote: »
    I've been on holidays in Italy several times in the last few years, I'm not the trendiest dresser but I find the selection of casual clothes for middle aged men in Cork woeful so when I'm abroad I usually take a look around, for the last 10 years or more the trend has been to cut clothes very tightly which flatters few. In Italy it tends to be even more extreme with guys in their 60's stitched into suits and bare ankles. I can't even get into a trousers that they class "relaxed" or "casual" fit.
    Very true. We were on holiday in Florence a couple of years ago and staying on the main shopping street with all the really high end shops. We used to laugh at the men's outfits they were ridiculous. Like a lot of what models show on the catwalks couldn't possibly be worn in normal life. I remember one men's outfit in particular, it was skintight pink trousers that ended above the ankles with a bizarre top and a straw boater hat. It didn't have a price tag, none of the shops on that street showed price tags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Very true. We were on holiday in Florence a couple of years ago and staying on the main shopping street with all the really high end shops. We used to laugh at the men's outfits they were ridiculous. Like a lot of what models show on the catwalks couldn't possibly be worn in normal life. I remember one men's outfit in particular, it was skintight pink trousers that ended above the ankles with a bizarre top and a straw boater hat. It didn't have a price tag, none of the shops on that street showed price tags.

Must've been the same street where Philly went shopping for his wedding suit

h-Lacey-Wedding-001.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I actually don't get gambling. Even the Lotto. Like I have ten euro and I could risk not having that ten euro anymore for a load more money? I'd rather just have my ten euro.

That said I have bet on sporting events twice and played the Lotto a handful of times. I once won 9 euro. But probably spent about 100 over the years for that return. I just don't understand it at all.
    It's good for fun, not financial gain.

I usually bet on the world cup and sometimes the euros. This makes me take an interest in trying to pick a winner, and then being invested in their progress. It makes it much more fun to watch. I've done well enough too, won lots of money when Greece won. Won smaller amounts backing Germany and maybe the Netherlands.

So I get betting on sporting events where you can base your choice on an opinion/inaight and not just an arbitrary guess. The lotto is silly though alright, just about fantasy really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

^^^ Wedding suit: facepalm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

boombang wrote: »
    ^^^ Wedding suit: facepalm.

Seriously disgusting suit alright. Gonna feel like a right twat in 20 years when his kids are laughing at the state of him. Is he someone famous?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Seriously disgusting suit alright. Gonna feel like a right twat in 20 years when his kids are laughing at the state of him. Is he someone famous?

she should have ran when she saw him dressed like that in the church.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

pgj2015 wrote: »
    she should have ran when she saw him dressed like that in the church.

She'd trip over that net curtain she's wearing.

The suit is like something you'd wear for a bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Who is he ? Her dress is stunning and he looks like a right eejit beside her . His jacket is too tight and as far as I can see he is wearing black shoes with a navy jacket .

Is that yer one out of Love Island?

Must've been the same street where Philly went shopping for his wedding suit

h-Lacey-Wedding-001.jpg
    :eek: It looks like it shrank in the wash, not sure which is worse, the trouser length or the phone wedged into his pocket. Then again, her dress is awful too.

• Advertisement

She'd trip over that net curtain she's wearing.

The suit is like something you'd wear for a bet.
    I pity her father, no man should have to see that much of his daughters cleavage.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

who the **** is that guy would anyone care to share ffs biaches

I don't know who either of them are, but it looks like their kids are going to be all teeth and nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

I don't know who either of them are, but it looks like their kids are going to be all teeth and nose.

:D:D:D harsh but did LOL

Dunno, if most are taking the piss not knowing but its Philly McMahon, Dublin team. Decent fella by all accounts but clearly notions get the better of some of us.

Thing about all that kind of skinny pant ankle getup is that some very few can pull it off and look well, most can't, me being one. Big chunky white ankles in the middle of winter in Ireland rules you out immediately, or to narrow it down, being Irish in general. Some few semi-anorexic bronzed Fabio off the beaches of Taormina can perhaps in the right setting. The f*cking undersized velvet morning coat blazer type of thing...nah.

It's probably been said already, but I don't get the appeal of Ed Sheeran. Music that is bland and cliched from a guy that without his fame and money, most females wouldn't look twice at. Goes over my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Thing about all that kind of skinny pant ankle getup is that some very few can pull it off and look well, most can't, me being one. Big chunky white ankles in the middle of winter in Ireland rules you out immediately, or to narrow it down, being Irish in general.

I think that's part of the problem.
    If he was going for wedding in a sunny destination he might be able to get away with the look.
    However if it's a wet Winter wedding in Ireland chances are you won't be able to pull it off.

I know of this guy and he runs a men clothes shop. Does lots of wedding and some suits are made to measure.
    For the grooms sake and for his business he likes people looking their best. He's to deal with guys now who think they are fashionable but they simple can't pull off certain looks and there no talking to them.
    People of course should wear what they want, etc.

The dress is a bit to tarty for a wedding, not classy. Not only are his trousers to tight, his jacket is also, look at the creases around his elbow, they're in it together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I don't get the stress of Christmas. If you find I of the best times of years stressfulz what hope have you got. My sister was all worked up running around buying presents. In one way it's so generous of her and I get it but it just ruins the fun of it

Sorry ladies, I know I'm going to offend a lot of ye but what's the story with leopard print? Why are you all drawn to it at the moment? It's beyond hideous, and makes you look like a sex worker (I'm being way too polite here). Doesn't matter how expensive the item is, it always looks cheap and nasty.

:D:D:D harsh but did LOL

Dunno, if most are taking the piss not knowing but its Philly McMahon, Dublin team. Decent fella by all accounts but clearly notions get the better of some of us.

Thing about all that kind of skinny pant ankle getup is that some very few can pull it off and look well, most can't, me being one. Big chunky white ankles in the middle of winter in Ireland rules you out immediately, or to narrow it down, being Irish in general. Some few semi-anorexic bronzed Fabio off the beaches of Taormina can perhaps in the right setting. The f*cking undersized velvet morning coat blazer type of thing...nah.
    I genuinely have no idea who either of them are. What he's wearing looks awful and it would look awful on some 6 foot tall bronze lithe Adonis. Her dress reminds me of one of those toilet roll covers some people used to put over the spare loo roll in the bathroom. I shouldn't make personal remarks about their appearance though. You'd wonder how she or the people around him wouldn't have pointed out how awful his outfit was when he was thinking of buying it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement