Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you just "don't get"?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Yes, they are the only two options.

Two options?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Two options?

Yes

Yes

Haha ok so, whatever you say chief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Haha ok so, whatever you say chief.

Indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Greyfox wrote: »
    Your first paragraph is talking about things that make a significant difference.
    So, it has to make a huge difference, or else its a gimmick.

And, the point is, when cars first came, there would certainly have been people saying they are no good, they need roads etc.

I seen a few on here say the same about electric cars, saying they are gimmicks etc.
    Your 2nd paragraph is talking about a completely unnecessary gimmick so I take it you accept the poster your quoting is correct.
    I guess posting that was more necessary than a timer which is easily setup and monitored.
    New tech is cool but a lot of the industr is inventing solutions to things that didn't really need to be solved and are there just to save a lazy person a few minutes
    So what do you think should happen, no progress unless we can come up with something as revolutionary as the wheel? Perhaps we should have went straight from the abacus to windows 10, as all the small improvement steps were not needed. (although they were, to make progress, im sure you understand)

And, an immersion timer is a crude device in many cases. Where as the wifi controlled ones can be just as cheap, and hugely more versatile. So yes, get the wall mounted one because having the phone controlled one is lazy:pac:

• Advertisement

Wilfuler. wrote: »
    I'm in the electrical business but still..

Why would u need to turn on an immersion heater at random times?

I have full smart heating system controls not the immersion and it is an absolutely brilliant system. You simply don’t realise how good it is if you think it’s not useful.

We are always arriving home at random times and can turn the heat on 20 mins before home to have the house heated, or turn on the hot water when showers or hot water is needed for other reasons.

On top of that the scheduling etc can all be done from an app and you can set as many on/off timers as you wish, set all different target temperatures, do it all from the app which is so much handier than leaning into a poorly layout timer in the back hall. You can also monitor everything when away and never worry “did I turn off the heat”?

Then on top of that you can just ask Alexa to boost the heat from bed with just even opening your eyes so you arrive down stairs and it’s nice and warm or similar for boosting the water. In short it’s an absolutely fantastic system to have.

Anyone comparing about smart home stuff are just doing it out of ignorance, they are anti-progress/tech or simply want to stir things.

Anyone comparing about smart home stuff are just doing it out of ignorance imo, they are anti-progress/tech or simply want to stir things.

One or both I`d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Haha I've heard all that before.

Maybe that's the case if you go out in a city for new year's but I don't, I stick to the local pubs (do about 2 or 3, maybe 4 at a push). Good crowds but never uncomfortably packed, no admittance charges at all, you just walk straight in, get a taxi home handy enough and have a good night out.

Or sit at home depressed trying to convince yourself you made the correct decision, while drawing up all the 'new year, new me' plans :-)

House parties and street parties have been the best ways to spend NYE in my experience.
    Not sure why you think, local pub or home alone are the only 2 viable options.

Jamsiek wrote: »
    House parties and street parties have been the best ways to spend NYE in my experience.
    Not sure why you think, local pub or home alone are the only 2 viable options.

I don't think they're the only 2 options, I've celebrated new year's eve in plenty of different ways, the locals happen to be personal favourites though.

I have full smart heating system controls not the immersion and it is an absolutely brilliant system. You simply don’t realise how good it is if you think it’s not useful.

We are always arriving home at random times and can turn the heat on 20 mins before home to have the house heated, or turn on the hot water when showers or hot water is needed for other reasons.

On top of that the scheduling etc can all be done from an app and you can set as many on/off timers as you wish, set all different target temperatures, do it all from the app which is so much handier than leaning into a poorly layout timer in the back hall. You can also monitor everything when away and never worry “did I turn off the heat”?

Then on top of that you can just ask Alexa to boost the heat from bed with just even opening your eyes so you arrive down stairs and it’s nice and warm or similar for boosting the water. In short it’s an absolutely fantastic system to have.

Anyone comparing about smart home stuff are just doing it out of ignorance, they are anti-progress/tech or simply want to stir things.

ye, when we buy a house, i'm gona smart home the **** out of it
    no point installing the heat where we are now but at least we've smart plugs for the fan heater and electric blanket

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    ye, when we buy a house, i'm gona smart home the **** out of it
    no point installing the heat where we are now but at least we've smart plugs for the fan heater and electric blanket

We got the smart heating installed for free, fully covered by the seai smart heating grant. Worth looking into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Bruthal wrote: »
    Who needs cars when we had horses. Or electricity. Or mobiles when we already had phone boxes everywhere. Or email when we had postal services.

One regularly asked question is about immersion timers. Add in a sonoff WiFi switch and you now have a programmable timer and status viewable setup with phone. No more wondering has someone left the immersion on.

Electricity and email literally transformed almost all aspects of society for the better when they were invented and you think its comparable to an immersion timer?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

wakka12 wrote: »
    Electricity and email literally transformed almost all aspects of society for the better when they were invented and you think its comparable to an immersion timer?

I think the point was that electricity and email were not invented in a vacuum. There was a thousand immersion timer sized steps involved in the development of both.

wakka12 wrote: »

Well we did not jump from the cave to the email and electrified house over a weekend. People who dismiss home automation as unnecessary gimmicks are likely the ones who would have said the same about the big "inventions" you mention, when they were just being discovered.

So it is not about comparing the immersion timer to the national grid, it is a point that there will always be people who dismiss progress when they can only visualize great leaps from a century later.

Im guessing you think an immersion timer is useless then.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I think the point was that electricity and email were not invented in a vacuum. There was a thousand immersion timer sized steps involved in the development of both.

Exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Bruthal wrote: »
    Well we did not jump from the cave to the email and electrified house over a weekend. People who dismiss home automation as unnecessary gimmicks are likely the ones who would have said the same about the big "inventions" you mention, when they were just being discovered.

So it is not about comparing the immersion timer to the national grid, it is a point that there will always be people who dismiss progress when they can only visualize great leaps from a century later.

Im guessing you think an immersion timer is useless then.

Technology has pros and cons. There is a debate to be had as to whether the intrusion of barely accountable mega corporations into your home and private life is a fair exchange for sightly greater convenience. That's not to mention the risk of this intrusion being hijacked by other parties, whether foreign intelligence services or criminals.

Adoption of a new technology is not a zero sum game either, as one may adopt it in a safer or more cautious manner. Eg French Nuclear Power as opposed to Soviet Nuclear Power. European mixed transport models with cars and excellent public transport as opposed to the US model of ripping up good streetcar and rail networks and replacing them with superhighways and dispersed suburbs.

I mean right now one of the biggest political issues in the developed world is how over the last 100 years we sleep walked into potential environmental disaster by adopting unsustainable ways of living driven by new technologies. Surely it behoves us to act with a little caution rather than shouting down any naysayers as conspiracy theory freaks and luddites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

People in the UK going on about the NHS. It's rubbish.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    I mean right now one of the biggest political issues in the developed world is how over the last 100 years we sleep walked into potential environmental disaster by adopting unsustainable ways of living driven by new technologies. Surely it behoves us to act with a little caution rather than shouting down any naysayers as conspiracy theory freaks and luddites.

If someone says a convenient timer is just for lazy people, i don`t think the CO2 count was their worry really. If everyone had easy monitored and controlled timers on their immersions, home heating etc, it might reduce wastage.

I love all the smart home stuff, absolutely game-changing in terms of convenience. Plus I never have to spend a day in work wondering if I really did switch on the slow cooker or if I just think I did. My OH turns on the coffee machine before he opens his eyes. I get notified when the dryer is finished so I can go fold things (and avoid ironing, most importantly) as soon as it's finished instead of getting distracted when I'm working from home.

One thing I really don't get is the fashion for 'Rose Gold'. Anything metal seems to come in a rose gold option now, not just jewellery. I hate it. I saw a side table with rose gold legs the other day, it just looks tacky. It's a hideous color, makes things look cheap and nasty, and when the fashion inevitably dies out people will be wondering what on earth they were thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Candie wrote: »
    One thing I really don't get is the fashion for 'Rose Gold'. Anything metal seems to come in a rose gold option now, not just jewellery. I hate it. I saw a side table with rose gold legs the other day, it just looks tacky. It's a hideous color, makes things look cheap and nasty, and when the fashion inevitably dies out people will be wondering what on earth they were thinking.
    I work in the jewellery industry and while I don't know about tables, decorations etc.. I can tell you that we have in our job sold a hell of a lot more rose gold items in the last 2 years than ever before. It is basically just gold and copper whereas gold itself is made up of gold, copper and silver to prevent the colour changing. It think it costs less to manufacture rose gold than standard gold but it gets sold for quite a lot more. I don't think the trend is going anywhere yet in the jewellery industry at least. May I suggest you do a 180 and embrace it all full on? Get yourself a rose gold kitchen table or some such? It may just grow on you Candie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I genuinely don’t get inconsiderate people . Do all people not actually realise that if we were all considerate to each other that life would be much nicer ?

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I genuinely don’t get inconsiderate people . Do all people not actually realise that if we were all considerate to each other that life would be much nicer ?

I think most people realise that if you’re considerate to everyone and you see what way people are back to you that you’re basically a doormat.

Guy Person wrote: »
    I work in the jewellery industry and while I don't know about tables, decorations etc.. I can tell you that we have in our job sold a hell of a lot more rose gold items in the last 2 years than ever before. It is basically just gold and copper whereas gold itself is made up of gold, copper and silver to prevent the colour changing. It think it costs less to manufacture rose gold than standard gold but it gets sold for quite a lot more. I don't think the trend is going anywhere yet in the jewellery industry at least. May I suggest you do a 180 and embrace it all full on? Get yourself a rose gold kitchen table or some such? It may just grow on you Candie!

How dare you suggest such a thing! :D

I'm fine with another year of rose gold saturation, it just means there'll be ever more of it around and people will tire of it sooner. And hopefully at that point, it'll retreat into the depths of Lucifers bowels, from whence it surely came!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I think most people realise that if you’re considerate to everyone and you see what way people are back to you that you’re basically a doormat.

Which is my point . If all people were nice to each other it would make life so much nicer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Candie wrote: »
    I love all the smart home stuff, absolutely game-changing in terms of convenience. Plus I never have to spend a day in work wondering if I really did switch on the slow cooker or if I just think I did. My OH turns on the coffee machine before he opens his eyes. I get notified when the dryer is finished so I can go fold things (and avoid ironing, most importantly) as soon as it's finished instead of getting distracted when I'm working from home.

It depends on the hue. Some rose gold looks very gaudy but it can be very delicate too and look beautiful. It most definitely doesn’t always look cheap. My friend’s engagement ring is rose gold with a pearl as the stone and it’s by far the nicest engagement ring I’ve seen. Rose gold that veers towards coppery in colour is also lovely, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I don't hate rose-gold as a colour at all, but I find the level of saturation it has hit to be pretty insane - for the last couple of years everything in both jewellery and fashion seems to be some variation on it. I just worry that in a couple of years it'll be like avocado bathrooms - they seems like a really good and cool idea at the time, but we all know how well they aged. :p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

The "Interview the person below you" thread. And it's the second one! Pointless drivel IMHO.

Happy new misers, hope yous enjoyed the miserable (I hate new years just cause) night at home, hehe :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Fancy baking.
    All these home cooks baking really complicated, decorated cakes. Swiss merangue butter cream, Russian butter cream, ganache, glazes, rolled fondant.
    Amateur bake offs and Instagram obsession.

I just don't get it.

And popular desserts.
    Malteesers are a cheap crappy sweet - they don't make high end desserts - same goes for crunches and marathons.

I just don't get these desserts.

Also, Bailey's cheesecake seemed innovative and fancy in the 80s. Can it please fcuk off now!

• Advertisement

If the alternative to baileys cheesecake is any kind of citrus then the liqueur can stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Why the fcuk is Heineken zero the same price as normal Heineken. Was designated driver last night...cost me the same as a normal night out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

SeaFields wrote: »
    Why the fcuk is Heineken zero the same price as normal Heineken. Was designated driver last night...cost me the same as a normal night out.

Yeah paying €5 for a bottle if Heineken is a bit rich alright, it's better value if you can get it on draught, still overpriced though.
    On the plus side I bet you had a clear head this morning.

With all the nanny stating, you think they’d subsidise the alcohol free drinks and cap the price of them. You know, seeing as all the minimum pricing stuff is all purely for our health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

When people believe long range panic weather forecasts to a level where they are actually making changes in their lives to accommodate like installing new windows and buying realy heavy clothing when some clown/clowness predicted that this January would be the coldest for 30 years. Meanwhile it's started out as one of the mildest ever.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

For the same reason a flat white coffee is the same price as a normal cappucino/latte, and it often turns out to be a smaller sized drink?I don't get them often but I feel a bit ripped off paying 3eur+ for them when I do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Why do all the supermarkets try to give us dietary whiplash on the 1st of january?

Up until december 31st, we live on quality street, on the last unpopular bars in the selection boxes and guinness, with a side of christmas leftovers as the 'healthy option', then as soon as the clock ticks over midnight that night it's BAM - Yoga pants, quinoa, protein shakes and heart rate monitors as far as the eye can see.

I mean, I know why they do it but it's just so cruel :(

B0jangles wrote: »
    Why do all the supermarkets try to give us dietary whiplash on the 1st of january?

Up until december 31st, we live on quality street, on the last unpopular bars in the selection boxes and guinness, with a side of christmas leftovers as the 'healthy option', then as soon as the clock ticks over midnight that night it's BAM - Yoga pants, quinoa, protein shakes and heart rate monitors as far as the eye can see.

I mean, I know why they do it but it's just so cruel :(

Gyms will be rammed for the next fortnight too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

... and treadmills on sale in Argos etc.

3 months later they will be expensive clothes horses.

NIMAN wrote: »
    ... and treadmills on sale in Argos etc.

3 months later they will be expensive clothes horses.

I have one of my very own in the house. Great for airing tea towels.

And your favourite running routes will be jammed up with groups of red-faced people in tight fitting "activewear" being bellowed at to feel the burn in between posting #fitfam #bootcamp Insta posts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Would it not cost almost similar, if not more to make than the alcohol versions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

razorblunt wrote: »
    Would it not cost almost similar, if not more to make than the alcohol versions?
    Sure, but don't forget excise.

Now, if you were to believe the VFI, then nearly all of the cost of your pints is tax, but really it's about 50c.

So in theory a 0.0 should be about 50c cheaper. But when you consider economies of scale and the fact that a zero-alcohol version requires more post-processing than your normal pint, then there's your 50c disappeared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When people go to spend a night in a hotel a few minutes away from there house!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Barry Keoghan, that cat killer from Love/Hate gets acting roles from expensive productions and top directors. Dunkirk, Chernobyl and that Black 47 are just some examples

How??

He has one mode, a sour puss look. I’ve seen better actors in the Gaeity Theatre yet young Barry is living in Los Angelas and getting all this work other more talented actors would kill for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Barry Keoghan, that cat killer from Love/Hate gets acting roles from expensive productions and top directors. Dunkirk, Chernobyl and that Black 47 are just some examples

How??

He has one mode, a sour puss look. I’ve seen better actors in the Gaeity Theatre yet young Barry is living in Los Angelas and getting all this work other more talented actors would kill for.

I think he has a sob story up bringing which may help. He sort of ticks all the boxes.
    He was on Living with Lucy in 2019 and he came across as a little dozy but he was loved for being so down to Earth.

I think he has a sob story up bringing which may help. He sort of ticks all the boxes.
    He was on Living with Lucy in 2019 and he came across as a little dozy but he was loved for being so down to Earth.

I'd say he's a talented actor. I can't think of any performance where he was phoning it in. While a slightly pedestrian film, American Animals showed him expanding his range somewhat.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    And your favourite running routes will be jammed up with groups of red-faced people in tight fitting "activewear" being bellowed at to feel the burn in between posting #fitfam #bootcamp Insta posts

I noticed every second clothes shop had this sort of gear in their windows on the way top work this morning, I'm sure it fools people into thinking they're doing something about their fitness levels. Saw this one yesterday in a supermarket in a sports bra type top and "sporty" leggings with a big flabby white spare tyre and ar ar*e the size of a small country, not a good look but I'm sure she thought she was the bee's knees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Seamai wrote: »
    I noticed every second clothes shop had this sort of gear in their windows on the way top work this morning, I'm sure it fools people into thinking they're doing something about their fitness levels. Saw this one yesterday in a supermarket in a sports bra type top and "sporty" leggings with a big flabby white spare tyre and ar ar*e the size of a small country, not a good look but I'm sure she thought she was the bee's knees.

Your post just reminded me to play National Express,by Divine Comedy.Great song.

Your post just reminded me to play National Express,by Divine Comedy.Great song.

It's one of my favourites, love that line :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

B0jangles wrote: »
    Those pod coffee machines

what the hell are they about? - like, why would you spend a fortune on a machine so's you can spend a fortune on little pots of crap coffee? Little pots that are apparently a pain in the ass to recycle.

Buy decent beans, a grinder and an aeropress.

There, now you have good coffee and you're not knee-deep in stupid little pots!
    This one baffles me too. I think pod coffee is an elitist thing or something. People think it gives them status. In all my years the best coffee I've ever had has been from dads percolator which takes ground beans and usually lasts about ten years before needing replacing. My bitch of an aunt was over at Christmas... think Hyacinth from keeping up appearances. Blabbing on and on about carbon footprints and recycling etc. Then five minutes later sh#teing on about her coffee pod machine. I felt like asking her if those pods are recyclable. Preaching to us about carbon footprints while she guzzles red meat and drives an SUV. Grr!

• Advertisement
Advertisement