Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you just "don't get"?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

The incandescent rage some have over veganism/vegetarianism, and talk of an agenda and brainwashing and the like. Wtf? It's a dietary choice by other people - not compulsory.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Raconteuse wrote: »
    The incandescent rage some have over veganism/vegetarianism, and talk of an agenda and brainwashing and the like. Wtf? It's a dietary choice by other people - not compulsory.

You know those kids in shops when told they can't have those sweets and they throw themselves to the ground bubbling tears...

When people go to spend a night in a hotel a few minutes away from there house!

Do many do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

B0jangles wrote: »
    Those pod coffee machines

what the hell are they about? - like, why would you spend a fortune on a machine so's you can spend a fortune on little pots of crap coffee? Little pots that are apparently a pain in the ass to recycle.

Buy decent beans, a grinder and an aeropress.

There, now you have good coffee and you're not knee-deep in stupid little pots!
    I bought mine for €40. You can get 16 pods for a fiver which works out a lot cheaper than buying coffee in cafes. They taste a lot better than instant coffee. Grinders are too noisy. I'd wake everyone up in the house with one of those.

B0jangles wrote: »
    Those pod coffee machines

what the hell are they about? - like, why would you spend a fortune on a machine so's you can spend a fortune on little pots of crap coffee? Little pots that are apparently a pain in the ass to recycle.

Buy decent beans, a grinder and an aeropress.

There, now you have good coffee and you're not knee-deep in stupid little pots!

Clean and handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Do many do that?

Two of my work colleagues did for NYE, in both cases taxis to and from would have costed them quarter the cost of the hotel. One of the couples had to be home to the kids early the next morning so were up at 8.00. I don't get it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I bought mine for €40. You can get 16 pods for a fiver which works out a lot cheaper than buying coffee in cafes. They taste a lot better than instant coffee. Grinders are too noisy. I'd wake everyone up in the house with one of those.

If you're making me coffee I don't mind if you wake me

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Antares35 wrote: »
    This one baffles me too. I think pod coffee is an elitist thing or something. People think it gives them status. In all my years the best coffee I've ever had has been from dads percolator which takes ground beans and usually lasts about ten years before needing replacing. My bitch of an aunt was over at Christmas... think Hyacinth from keeping up appearances. Blabbing on and on about carbon footprints and recycling etc. Then five minutes later sh#teing on about her coffee pod machine. I felt like asking her if those pods are recyclable. Preaching to us about carbon footprints while she guzzles red meat and drives an SUV. Grr!

I feel your pain Bro...so I do...next time you meet her ...give her a shoe in the snatch ....from me !

Uppity fcukin mare....GRRR...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Seamai wrote: »
    Two of my work colleagues did for NYE, in both cases taxis to and from would have costed them quarter the cost of the hotel. One of the couples had to be home to the kids early the next morning so were up at 8.00. I don't get it.
    Maybe they wanted to have a good shag in peace? I've heard of couples living in busy households who would occasionally go to a hotel so they can go at it hammer and tongs without the fear of the kids hearing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I think vegan bashing is a national pastime in Ireland. I was vegan for a while and it was insane the number of people who assumed I was judging them for not being vegan or who suddenly developed a grave concern for my protein levels.
    That and the "oh but bacon" comments. Salty fat arse meat that leaves an inch of solid fat on the pan, no thanks. I'll take the fillet steak and mash though :) and the ones declaring "oh I couldn't" er... nobody asked you to! :)

I think vegan bashing is a national pastime in Ireland. I was vegan for a while and it was insane the number of people who assumed I was judging them for not being vegan or who suddenly developed a grave concern for my protein levels.

An awful lot of vegans do judge though. Nobody would have an issue if they all just did it without the walking talking campaign.
    The saturation it on television is nauseating to normal people too.

This is not remotely related to a thing I dont get but it just reminded me of my 70 year old dad fumbling through the presses yesterday declaring that he couldn't "find his grinder". I nearly doubled over thinking about him swiping left or right :)

An awful lot of vegans do judge though. Nobody would have an issue if they all just did it without the walking talking campaign.
    The saturation it on television is nauseating to normal people too.

Agree a lot of them do judge (the palm oil arguments for example, years of lives wasted arguing the toss about whether it is vegan) however I don't believe nobody would have an issue if they didn't do it. Some people want to be offended... vegan and non vegan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I never encounter judgmental vegans at all. Now they're bound to exist but I think there's more talk of it than reality. Same as beer snobs - far more moaning about people who enjoy craft beers than beer snobs.

Sometimes being vegan by itself is what's considered the judgement. And it probably makes people feel uncomfortable that they're eating animals, hence the defensiveness.

I have never been vegan or vegetarian btw.

Agree a lot of them do judge (the palm oil arguments for example, years of lives wasted arguing the toss about whether it is vegan) however I don't believe nobody would have an issue if they didn't do it. Some people want to be offended... vegan and non vegan.

You’re probably right. There’s a lot of people just don’t think anyone should be doing different to them, vegan or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

None of the married women who present the news on RTE ever wear their wedding ring, I find that strange, I wonder is it some silly rule?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

None of the married women who present the news on RTE ever wear their wedding ring, I find that strange, I wonder is it some silly rule?
    I never noticed that. The same, probably, for the men? Some silly rules I'm guessing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I had somebody on one of my groups complai nobody liked her post for being Vegan for 6 years.
    Cue all teh they are jealous ****e.
    Me and another poster pointed out maybe they just dont care.That didnt go down well:D

Is that you Mammy?

Seriously though, my mum is obsessed by this, when I'm in her house and the news is on she's always saying things like "I wonder is Eileen Dunne gone from the husband" or "Do you think Ingrid Miley is lesbian? she doesn't hear any wedding ring and she's quite frumpy" I keep telling her that she needs to find a new hobby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Seamai wrote: »
    Is that you Mammy?

Seriously though, my mum is obsessed by this, when I'm in her house and the news is on she's always saying things like "I wonder is Eileen Dunne gone from the husband" or "Do you think Ingrid Miley is lesbian? she doesn't hear any wedding ring and she's quite frumpy" I keep telling her that she needs to find a new hobby.

Its just something I noticed as I watch the news a lot, and the men do have their wedding rings on. cant see why they don't wear the rings, seems odd to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I don’t get contemporary dance . It all looks the same to me , wafty , arty farty , barefoot sameness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Its just something I noticed as I watch the news a lot, and the men do have their wedding rings on. cant see why they don't wear the rings, seems odd to me.

interesting observation if true.

bright studio lights reflecting off diamonds an issue? total guess.

I know this has been a thing for a while now but spotted it twice this afternoon. What's the story with young fellas shoving their hand down the front of their track pants for what looks like a fumble with their crown jewels in full public view? Does it make you look cool? Not in the slightest, it makes you look like you've crabs or jock itch.

Probably the cheap Guiney's skiddies that they have on inside their cheap Sport Direct Trakkies are giving them an itch...or they not great on personal hygiene and the butt of their prong and sac are covered in stale jizz. ?

I would say the second scenario is the most probable......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Skinny jean,s , no one looks good in them,
    they are just weird looking,
    phones with no headphone socket,
    i don,t want to buy wireless headphones that i have to charge,
    I charge my phone and a tablet.
    i,m never gonna charge earphones even if they give them away for nothing
    there,s not much chance of losing wired earphones .
    i don,t believe a 5 inch phone has no space for a 3.5mm socket.
    8k console,s ,yeah i,m Sure the ps5 will be able play games in 8k,
    i just want consoles to play games in 1080p , with no dropped frames .
    8k tv cost 4grand plus.
    Millions of people will not be buying 8k tv,s to play ps4 games
    it makes no sense .

The "arra shure it will be grand" mentality. Arra shure John Delaney is a dacent skin, what harm in him. He bought me a pint once, lave the poor man alone.

riclad wrote: »
    8k tv cost 4grand plus.
    it makes no sense .

Wired headphones are a pain in the hole, gave up on them long before my phone stopped having a headphone socket.

And as below you can still plug in headphones with a lightening connector if you really feel the need.

No 3.5mm port doesn’t mean you can’t plug in headphones.

No 3.5mm port doesn’t mean you can’t plug in headphones.

Give bro......let the second shoe drop.....

Give bro......let the second shoe drop.....

Try again??

• Advertisement

Try again??

You sound as if you have information which might be useful to the denizens of this here place.

Share your knowledge o wise one .....

You sound as if you have information which might be useful to the denizens of this here place.

Most phones that don’t have a 3.5mm generic headphone port will come with a set in the box with the plug for the port that is on the phone (type C or lightning).
    A lot of them will also come with a type C to 3.5mm adapter so you can use whatever set you want.

Most phones that don’t have a 3.5mm generic headphone port will come with a set in the box with the plug for the port that is on the phone (type C or lightning).
    A lot of them will also come with a type C to 3.5mm adapter so you can use whatever set you want.

Ah ! Thank you my friend !

Now why couldn't you have included that wisdom in your first post ?

Took me two additional posts to get that out of you !

Jeeze....:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I, m aware some phones use other interface,s to connect headphone,s .
    i don,t want to use a dongle.
    i don,t want to use any type of wireless earphones.
    I only buy phones that have a 3.5mm audio socket.
    I think usb c is useful for charging, i,m not against new tech as long as its easy to use and has some advantage over the older design.
    i can see no advantage in using usb c or lightning headphones vs 3.5mm earphones
    my phone has usb c charging socket.
    i don,t want to be using a dongle, if i can avoid it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Couldn't agree more. I can't wait for the skinny jeans fad to end.
    8k tv cost 4grand plus.
    it makes no sense .
    TA the rest of your post. Sorry I tried to read it but it was more annoying than trying to find a pair of skinny jeans that look good on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The apparent taboo at going for a drink in a pub by yourself.

It can sometimes be the perfect way to switch off and forget about your worries. Not everyone wants to be social in every single walk of life either.

Some of the best pints I have ever had were quiet ones on my own not having forced conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Beau Bennett

Drivers of cars/SUV's who,for example, when turning right at a junction swing out to the left before turning as if they are driving a bus.

Sometimes dangerously veering into the next lane. It's the most pathetic looking thing.

the thing I don't get with Vegans, is what do they think the end game is?

I followed a bus with the "Dairy takes a baby from its mother advert on the side. Have they considered that without dairy the calf would not have been born n the first place?

do they expect that come the glorious day that we no longer use animal products, there will be masses of cattle, chickens and pigs roaming across open fields?

Will there bollocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

When people go to spend a night in a hotel a few minutes away from there house!

Visitor they don't want the kids / neighbours to see:eek:

Kiddies, these are your uncles Jamal and DeShaun, they are staying with us tonight. Now off to bed with you and do not come into mammies bedroom no matter how fúcking bad the dream was...understand!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Aegir wrote: »
    the thing I don't get with Vegans, is what do they think the end game is?

I followed a bus with the "Dairy takes a baby from its mother advert on the side. Have they considered that without dairy the calf would not have been born n the first place?

do they expect that come the glorious day that we no longer use animal products, there will be masses of cattle, chickens and pigs roaming across open fields?

Will there bollocks.

Some might argue they would be better off not being born.
    A lot of animal species are artificially created now anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

The retailer Next.

I just do not get it- it is just samey beige and brown low end mass produced tat you can get in any number of High Street stores. Then you will have idiots losing their freakin mind when there is a sale. People queuing up St Stephens Days at 3am.

The retailer Next.

I just do not get it- it is just samey beige and brown low end mass produced tat you can get in any number of High Street stores. Then you will have idiots losing their freakin mind when there is a sale. People queuing up St Stephens Days at 3am.

only for the kids clothing.

why, I do not know, but parents seem to go nuts over the kids sale

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

The retailer Next.

i hate shopping and having to buy clothes. But I have noted that Next clothes for kids are far better than dunnes or penneys. though they grown out of them anyway, so not sure how important it is that they last. but a i agree, getting up at 3am for the sales is madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The retailer Next.

If your shopping and your a guy who want something more simple. Then Next is generally your best option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Next Oxford shirts are class though.
    ~ €25 and they fitter better (and wear better) than any of the designers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

The apparent taboo at going for a drink in a pub by yourself.

It can sometimes be the perfect way to switch off and forget about your worries. Not everyone wants to be social in every single walk of life either.

Some of the best pints I have ever had were quiet ones on my own not having forced conversation.
    I knew a girl who just couldn't wrap her head around the idea of me going to the cinema on my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I knew a girl who just couldn't wrap her head around the idea of me going to the cinema on my own.

Big fan of this.
    I have never tried to talk to myself during a film in the cinema.

Love solo pints, too.
    You can still get to chat, usually.
    Drink completely at your own pace.
    Leave whenever you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Zombies. I love anything horror related but people walking around dead is just a step too far for me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Rubberlegs wrote: »
    Zombies. I love anything horror related but people walking around dead is just a step too far for me :(

But they're not dead... They're undead!

• Advertisement
Advertisement