Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you just "don't get"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

People who leave their dog lick their face and leave them into their bed, not for me. Also people getting into fights online over different points of view.

Your from the South ...arn't you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Exhibitionism

I don't care if you are whatever it's not my business to know or care and by telling me about it you are forcing me to be included, **** off with whatever you do in your own private time be that lifestyle or sexualities or giving to charity or whatever I don't want to know about any of it.

If wanting to be recognised for what you chose to do is your point of life I feel very little about you and what you are as the old saying goes I don't want to know you or what you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

Your from the South ...arn't you ?

South of where exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Young ones posting raunchy photos on instagram looking for attention and then complaining about fellas objectifying them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

People who leave their dog lick their face and leave them into their bed, not for me. Also people getting into fights online over different points of view.

I'd keep clear of the Animals and Pet Issues forum then. Its like your perfect storm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

I'd keep clear of the Animals and Pet Issues forum then. Its like your perfect storm.

Duly noted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Hare coursing.
    What a weird "sport" to be still around in the 21st century.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

Cyclists with a helmet hanging off the handlebars, not on their head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

vriesmays wrote: »
    Singer Maria McKee is now a lesbian and a transgender activist.
    Seems to be an attention seeking trend now. Some well known straight actress breaks up with her well known boyfriend and the next thing you know they've tipped off the paparazzi to meet them on a beach to take pictures of them half naked in a skimpy bikini kissing some girl. Actresses, models, whatever, who cares who is kissing/sleeping with who? As long as it doesn't involve animals or kids I don't care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Eastender.

Why in God's name do Irish people watch a soap about east London working class troglodytes?

I love the way in soaps generally the very few educated professionals (doctors, lawyers, accountants, business leaders) that turn up every now and then are invariably always evil psychos.

But you can always rely on good ol Jimmy the mechanic- salt of the earth.

Eastender.

Why in God's name do Irish people watch a soap about east London working class troglodytes?

I love the way in soaps generally the very few educated professionals (doctors, lawyers, accountants, business leaders) that turn up every now and then are invariably always evil psychos.

But you can always rely on good ol Jimmy the mechanic- salt of the earth.
    The same reasons people watch any soaps, boredom and the fact that most of the characters in soaps are having a worse time in life than the viewer. Like the Eastenders Christmas day show, no matter how awful Christmas Day might have been, you can guarantee that EE was worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

. Like the Eastenders Christmas day show, no matter how awful Christmas Day might have been, you can guarantee that EE was worse.

Yeah but....it's not real.

You would think at this stage they would all fcuk off abroad on holiday for Christmas and stay away from each other...

Yeah but....it's not real.

You would think at this stage they would all fcuk off abroad on holiday for Christmas and stay away from each other...
    True, but then what would viewers do with their Christmas Night? By Christmas night I think the Good Will to All has worn very thin and the soaps are a nice distraction. No matter how bad the food might have turned out or how many petty rows there's been in the house at least the odds are that nobody's going to get shot or go on a killing spree or rampage. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Irish graduates working in Dubai as au pairs and coming back after a few years to buy a house and marry Mr Beta. Either the pay is very high for this work or they're servicing the man of the house while his wives mind the kids.

Irish graduates working in Dubai as au pairs and coming back after a few years to buy a house and marry Mr Beta. Either the pay is very high for this work or they're servicing the man of the house while his wives mind the kids.
    I don't get why any woman would want to live in the Middle East, why go live in a country that considers you a second class citizen because of your gender, where you can be arrested and imprisoned for the slightest little thing? I wouldn't consider taking a holiday in the ME let alone move there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

I don't get why any woman would want to live in the Middle East, why go live in a country that considers you a second class citizen because of your gender, where you can be arrested and imprisoned for the slightest little thing? I wouldn't consider taking a holiday in the ME let alone move there.

Dubai is pretty easy going as far as the middle east is concerned
    Saudi Arabia would be completely different

In fairness Dubai is like any western city. I had a female family member living there and they had a ball, you live to a very luxurious standard over there and as a woman you actually get a lot of special treatment like free drink in clubs, free entry etc.

The whole getting arrested for the slightest thing is a bit of a nonsense too, I visited for 4 days and I was barely sober at any point including arriving into the airport after drinking on the plane all the way. It’s a serious place for drinking, it’s basically the pass time over there for westerners.

Don't think you know very much about the M.E.
    It's not one country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I dont get the 100ml limit on planes.

You can bring like 10 of them.

Maybe it's in case it's flammable liquid? But makes no sense because you can bring litres if alcohol on which is very flammable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I don't think it's a strict as some make out within reason.
    People also love money. You'd be amazed at the things people would give up for it if they could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Personally, my main aversion to living in somwhere like Dubai is that I don't want to live in a dictatorship built on slave labour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Personally, my main aversion to living in somwhere like Dubai is that I don't want to live in a dictatorship built on slave labour.

Fair point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Companies using the door to door/cold calling sales model - they know it just annoys people.

Not proof-reading at all (because of big mistakes, not tiny typos).

Companies impressing the forced fun thing on staff. It's forced. So it's not fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

The money is that good for teaching and nursing. Are you sure you're not thinking of those rather than au pairing? And why is he automatically "beta"?

Raconteuse wrote: »
    The money is that good for teaching and nursing. Are you sure you're not thinking of those rather than au pairing? And why is he automatically "beta"?

The money actually isn’t that great in teaching anyway anymore, not much better than it is here and far higher cost of living (aside from petrol). You have a great lifestyle over there but it’s not cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The pay is not high for working as an au pair ,i think its more like women like to travel .
    i think irish nurse,s can make more money by working in america,
    and america is easier to live in than dubai i think.

Dubai seems to me to be a damned safe place. I took a solo holiday there as a female, dropped my wallet on the street when stepping out if a taxi and had it returned to me an hour later. Not too many places that would happen.

Don't think you know very much about the M.E.
    It's not one country.
    I know all I need to know about the M.E. but thanks for jumping in there anyway, I'll avoid the Middle East as I said generally it's a **** hole where women and LGBT people are treated like filth and human rights are pretty much non existent unless you are a Muslim man.

I know all I need to know about the M.E. but thanks for jumping in there anyway, I'll avoid the Middle East as I said generally it's a **** hole where women and LGBT people are treated like filth and human rights are pretty much non existent unless you are a Muslim man.

You be you. There's a good lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Im guessing you’ve never been there

• Advertisement

You be you. There's a good lad.
    I do love a good laugh at your type, screw the human rights abuses, so long as you are seen to be pro Muslim that's all that really matters. ;) Good lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,244 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I do love a good laugh at your type, screw the human rights abuses, so long as you are seen to be pro Muslim that's all that really matters. ;) Good lad.

Ever been to Beirut?
    That's in the Middle East.

It has a big Pride event, loads of gay bars and clubs.

I love the simpleton reasoning that just because someone doesn't agree with your discriminatory sweeping generalisations, they are "pro Muslim", whatever the fcuk that means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

The world cup in Qatar should be fun! :D

We'll see just how much they believe in their traditional muslim values, once the entire world's eyes are watching them... they don't want the negative PR of enforcing their code of ethics during that tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Dubai seems to me to be a damned safe place. I took a solo holiday there as a female, dropped my wallet on the street when stepping out if a taxi and had it returned to me an hour later. Not too many places that would happen.

Was your money still in it ?

I do love a good laugh at an ignoramus who assumes one huge region of different countries can be lumped into one set of stereotypes worthy of a second rate Hollywood movie.

Yep, its ALL Muslim too... no Jews or Christians...

Was your money still in it ?

Crime is non-existent in Dubai, no way would someone risk taking a wallet as they would be strung up for it and rightly so! Its a very western and easy going place but crime is absolutely not tolerated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Crime is non-existent in Dubai, no way would someone risk taking a wallet as they would be strung up for it and rightly so! Its a very western and easy going place but crime is absolutely not tolerated.

There's lots of other things they don't tolerate too... but let's not talk about those things!

Yes it's an easy going place. That is until you're unlucky enough to fall foul of one of their more archaic laws. Then the true belly of the beast will reveal itself. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭mea_k

Irish refusing to pay for water charges, to keep water safe and promote more water saving. But then pay for TV licence to line RTE gravy train.

There was an article in the paper last weekend about Adamstown. One guy said he rents and most of his neighbours are non-nationals. He said - another bonus is that it’s massively diverse here. I don't understand this. Why is this a bonus compared to all native locals there?

Here's the article:

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/election-2020-in-commuterville-they-built-the-houses-and-left-the-people-in-a-vacuum-1.4156681

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Bracken81

Alcohol and the Irish obsession with it............every week in work.........'Where where you the week end?' 'Wheres your local?" "Where you for this wkd?"

Every Thurs/Fri/Sat.........queues in the local shop with fellas/ladies buying cans, vino, etc

I like to enjoy the wkd and not have complete blur all the time
    I'm sure I'm in the minority on this one

KFC, Burger King and others trying to play to the vegan crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

My love for Blake Shelton.It has just popped up out of nowhere.

KFC, Burger King and others trying to play to the vegan crowd.

There a market for it, money to be made. Whats not to get?

They cook in the same oil as the meat/chicken so it's not really vegan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Companies using the door to door/cold calling sales model - they know it just annoys people.

Excuse me Raconteuse, can I share with you a message of hope from the Bible? :)

• Advertisement

They cook in the same oil as the meat/chicken so it's not really vegan.

^^this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Bracken81 wrote: »

I like to enjoy the wkd and not have complete blur all the time

WKD? That's an alcoholic drink I don't get right there.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '25 - Orbital, Supergrass

Famous old rock bands who gig in Ireland with a different lineup.

There a market for it, money to be made. Whats not to get?
    Burger King isn't catering to vegan/vegetarians. Their burgers will be cooked on the same grills as meat products, they've admitted that themselves. I don't eat meat and I don't trust fast food places not to cook veggie stuff separately. Having a meat free day or two per week is a healthy option so fast food outlets are keen to cash in on that market.

Burger King isn't catering to vegan/vegetarians. Their burgers will be cooked on the same grills as meat products, they've admitted that themselves. I don't eat meat and I don't trust fast food places not to cook veggie stuff separately. Having a meat free day or two per week is a healthy option so fast food outlets are keen to cash in on that market.

Nuts. I hadn't heard about that but just read this;
    https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/02/03/business/31reuters-rstrnt-brnd-burger-king-impossible-whopper-lawsuit.html

Is it just BK though or all of the chains?

• Advertisement
Advertisement