Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you just "don't get"?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i can't understand how an irish person can post the "word" "yous" on a public forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why Motorola are bringing back the flip phone, do they like burning money or what?

https://mashable.com/review/motorola-razr-review/?europe=true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Why Motorola are bringing back the flip phone, do they like burning money or what?

I'd forgotten all about them until I saw one of the characters on the recent re run of This Life from 1996 using one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

I miss my Motorala Razor, best phone ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

You'd be surprised :D

Not just surprised more mystified :pac:

Lots to be said for a mature nicely rounded Persea. Preferably one that leaves a taste of chocolate on the lips.

@A.D. Robust and secure. ( I still use a candybar as my main mobile :) ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

dubstarr wrote: »
    I give you egg mayonaise.Vile stuff.looks and smells like vomit

I'm not a fan of egg mayonnaise, but I've always thought coleslaw looks more like vomit, what with the diced carrots and everything. I'm quite fond of it, all the same (coleslaw, not vomit).

Goat's cheese. Now there's something I don't get.

I'm not a fan of egg mayonnaise, but I've always thought coleslaw looks more like vomit, what with the diced carrots and everything. I'm quite fond of it, all the same (coleslaw, not vomit).

I love goat's cheese, I don't think it's particularly strong, though I did have a hard mature one recently that was quite pungent. I often wonder is it the idea that it's from a goat that puts people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

People who like pineapple on their pizza...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Charity bag packers in supermarkets (Usually a local GAA team) getting in the way and making shoppers feel obliged to give a donation for their 'efforts'.
    Why should the public be funding your team/hobby? Most people would rather pack their own bags to suit themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

They're not the only one, I'm fairly sure I saw a Samsung flip yoke in the last few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

''Omelette Maker''

What sort of idiot would buy an omelette maker. Just buy a frying pan ffs.

Pancake maker also. WTF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Jamsiek wrote: »
    I would say if you don’t vote, don’t complain about politics.
    Im sure nobody would have a problem if you complained about other things.

It was more so the ignorant presumption that I complain about things that politicians have the power to change if I complained hard enough, so because I don't vote, I'm "warned" not to complain, when I never have, and never will.

thejuggler wrote: »
    Charity bag packers in supermarkets (Usually a local GAA team) getting in the way and making shoppers feel obliged to give a donation for their 'efforts'.
    Why should the public be funding your team/hobby? Most people would rather pack their own bags to suit themselves.

This is real pet hate of my better half, he's really particular about how bags are packed and tells them so, he even gives out to me when I do it.
    I myself have an issue with being pressurised into making a donation. The GAA is not a charity, they're not strapped for cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It was more so the ignorant presumption that I complain about things that politicians have the power to change if I complained hard enough, so because I don't vote, I'm "warned" not to complain, when I never have, and never will.

You should complain, as much as you like. It’s your democratic right to do so.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Yes it is really annoying g when people put no thought into packing their shopping.

Like putting the potatoes on top and the bread on the bottom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

A proper spicy sauce shouldn't contain vinegar.

There’s a few generations of McElhinneys (tabasco) that would disagree with you. And a lot of Portuguese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Seamai wrote: »
    The GAA is not a charity, they're not strapped for cash.

Esp when they don't even pay their top players, you know, like you'd expect in other sports. Goes against the ethos.
    No problem about selling broadcasting rights off to the top bidder though. It's a joke, kids and adults going around begging for their local club.

People who use hash and say it doesn't harm anyone, completely safe drug etc.

Thousands of people in Central America have been killed and often tortured horribly first so that you can buy your hash.

Thousands of people in Central America have been killed and often tortured horribly first so that you can buy your hash.

Think you’ve got your “wires” crossed there, P. Don’t think there’s much hash coming out of Central America.

As far as I’m aware, it’s Morocco and Afghanistan where the bulk of it comes from. Don’t think the hash “trade” is as brutal as the cocaine, or heroin, one. Open to correction on that though.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

Think you’ve got your “wires” crossed there, P. Don’t think there’s much hash coming out of Central America.

As far as I’m aware, it’s Morocco and Afghanistan where the bulk of it comes from. Don’t think the hash “trade” is as brutal as the cocaine, or heroin, one. Open to correction on that though.
    Whoops, you're right I should have said cocaine.

Whoops, you're right I should have said cocaine.

I was thinking that. But, that’s not to say that people aren’t getting hurt by the hash “trade” as well.

The term "WOKE" really gets on my wick. Why does crap like this make it's way into mainstream parlance.

I was in Italy last September and saw a lot of kids (and I mean kids, not even teenagers) wearing tee shirts that had the word "PYREX" printed across the chest, I thought this was strange and wondered if Pyrex had branched out into clothing, a little digging revealed that the label Pyrex takes it's name from the term "Pyrex Vision" which is related to the production of crack cocaine. Why would anyone let alone kids walk around with this on them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Why would anyone let alone kids walk around with this on them?

Clueless adults buying them for their kids who don't grasp the other meaning of the word, possibly understandable in Italy obviously as English isn't their first or most familiar language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

There's a particular smell from goat's cheese that reminds me of school when I was 6/7 and I can never put my finger on what it is.
    I think it might be the fact the school was part of a convent and the kitchens were still working but why were they always cooking goat's cheese!

I had an aversion to caraway seeds until recently, when I was for 4 or 5 my grandmother took to to visit a friend of hers (Mrs K) and the woman had a tomcat so there was a smell in the house, to this day I can remember asking my Gran what the smell was and her putting her finger to her lip. A plate of seed cake was produced so I always associated caraway seeds with the smell of Mrs K's tomcat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Tony the Pony

Several things,

The continued success and popularity of the Beatles. I really don't understand what sets them apart. As musicians they're no better than average. McCartney and Lennon were good songwriters but again I don't understand what sets them apart from other songwriters.

I also fail to understand the popularity of Rugby Union. Unfortunately I had to sit through that game yesterday and I thought my skull was going to explode through sheer boredom. To add to this all the armchair experts in the room with me all talked a good game but had no idea what was actually happening and couldnt explain the game to me.

I also don't get why RTE employ Tommy Tiernan as a TV presenter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I also don't get why RTE employ Tommy Tiernan as a TV presenter.

He is pretty good imo.
    That said his show was interesting midweek tv but its not Saturday night stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Tony the Pony

mickdw wrote: »
    He is pretty good imo.
    That said his show was interesting midweek tv but its not Saturday night stuff.

I think he's brutal.

He's inarticulate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

I don't get why my job promotes diversity when the office has no attractive women or intelligent men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

“Smashed it”
    It’s everywhere, anyone that achieves anyone anything remotely mediocre has ‘smashed it’, especially on reality tv shows. It was mentioned at least 3 times on a cookery programme recently, where it could be applicable if they were making omelettes but they weren’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

So you don't believe in democracy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Piers Morgan!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Shuhada Davitt

I was thinking that. But, that’s not to say that people aren’t getting hurt by the hash “trade” as well.

the only reason people get hurt in that industry is BECAUSE it's illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The term "WOKE" really gets on my wick.

Anyone who describes themselves as woke is an absolute wankpuffin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Omackeral wrote: »
    Anyone who describes themselves as woke is an absolute wankpuffin.

I don't think I've ever seen someone in real life describe them selves as woke. I've only ever seen it used as an insult

I don't think I've ever seen someone in real life describe them selves as woke. I've only ever seen it used as an insult
    Nah, there's less of it around now but there were Tshirts and all sorts with wokeness slogans etc etc. Maybe the lack of it is because there's less coverage of BLM and Antifa and more coverage of Climate Change Slacktivism.

Maybe it's like SJW which I believe is what they used to call themselves before it turned into an insult.

Nah, there's less of it around now but there were Tshirts and all sorts with wokeness slogans etc etc. Maybe the lack of it is because there's less coverage of BLM and Antifa and more coverage of Climate Change Slacktivism.

And did they actually call themselves woke? Have to say I've never seen it in real life. But I've never seen a BLM t-shirt in real life either so Maybe its just the people I knock about with.

And did they actually call themselves woke? Have to say I've never seen it in real life. But I've never seen a BLM t-shirt in real life either so Maybe its just the people I knock about with.
    I think it's more of an American thing tbh. Some BBC guy is complaining about being described as woke for 're imagining' classics. Apparently substituting women to play the part of a male character and using characters from ethnic minorities in the roles of white characters is important now, for some reason. So if in the next re imagining on the BBC of say Mr Darcy, is a strong black woman who identifies as a man, well that's not woke apparently it's aiming old stories at a contemporary audience.

I think it's more of an American thing tbh. Some BBC guy is complaining about being described as woke for 're imagining' classics. Apparently substituting women to play the part of a male character and using characters from ethnic minorities in the roles of white characters is important now, for some reason. So if in the next re imagining on the BBC of say Mr Darcy, is a strong black woman who identifies as a man, well that's not woke apparently it's aiming old stories at a contemporary audience.

So the guy called himself woke or, as I said earlier, other people called him woke as an insult?

• Advertisement

So the guy called himself woke or, as I said earlier, other people called him woke as an insult?
    He took it as an insult, it used to be seen as a positive thing but there's been a bit of a backlash against it and now being seen as woke is a bit of a negative thing. Take Gillette's American ad that massively backfired and cost them a fortune, the term 'get woke go broke' is very apt there.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/shortcuts/2020/jan/21/how-the-word-woke-was-weaponised-by-the-right

The article is a good example. I think it comes down to some people thinking that being white means we should be lectured to by non white people on how privileged we are, whatever that means, somehow all the problems faced by women and minorities are because they don't have white skin or penises.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I dont understand the point of modern colloquialisms like cockwomble and, sorry OMackerel, Wankpuffin.

He took it as an insult, it used to be seen as a positive thing but there's been a bit of a backlash against it and now being seen as woke is a bit of a negative thing. Take Gillette's American ad that massively backfired and cost them a fortune, the term 'get woke go broke' is very apt there.

Right, so he didn't call himself woke. Someone else called him woke as an insult - exactly like I said to begin with.

Yeah, I don't see people calling themselves woke in real life.

no they haven't

I dont understand the point of modern colloquialisms like cockwomble and, sorry OMackerel, Wankpuffin.

you don;t need to understand them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

you don;t need to understand them

I'm posting on a thread that asks what kind of things people don't understand.

You don't need to tell me what or how to think.

Right, so he didn't call himself woke. Someone else called him woke as an insult - exactly like I said to begin with.

Yeah, I don't see people calling themselves woke in real life.
    Did you read the link? At one point calling oneself woke was considered a good thing, it then backfired and is now rarely used as anything more than an insult. Like seeing BLM and Antifa graffitied around Ireland seems to have stopped thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

That’s because you’re a pisswallet.

Omackeral wrote: »
    That’s because you’re a pisswallet.

You think you are funny but you aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Brooklyn 99 and Curb your Enthusiasm.

Absolute muck. Just don't get them.

Advertisement