Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you just "don't get"?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The WHO doesn't have a bloody clue what it's doing, at the moment it's clear that their main objective is protecting global trade not global health. But feel free to keep going with the sarcastic comments if it makes you feel better.

What qualifies you to judge the WHO's reaction to this?

Just curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

I don't get why the powers that be won't say what day the woman infected with Coronavirus arrived back. It is insane to say that they are trying to contact others who were traveling on the same transport as her. She got on a train with people who won't be known and I don't see why they can't say what day she arrived and what train she was on it's fooking stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

Satisfaction

What qualifies you to judge the WHO's reaction to this?

Just curious.
    Common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I don't get why the powers that be won't say what day the woman infected with Coronavirus arrived back. It is insane to say that they are trying to contact others who were traveling on the same transport as her. She got on a train with people who won't be known and I don't see why they can't say what day she arrived and what train she was on it's fooking stupid.

To stop unnecessary panic?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

The amount of people who justify speeding on Irish roads.

Common sense.

I'd be going with the educated professionals on matters relating to health I'd say.

Or else you wouldn't get out of bed in the morning.

Crock Rock wrote: »
    The amount of people who justify speeding on Irish roads.

Yawn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Penfailed wrote: »

That horse has bolted, P. “Cancelling” the rugby match was the start.

Will see if they are serious about things if they cancel the St. Patrick’s Festival.

Would be great if people just washed their bloody hands and all those “bird flu” hand sanitiser dispensers were refilled.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I always laugh at the guff people have in their houses. Like when things are labelled. For example an elaborate sign above the bath that says “Bath”.

One of my neighbours has such a sign in their window "EMOH"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Aglomerado wrote: »
    One of my neighbours has such a sign in their window "EMOH"

Maybe they are Goths:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Those UCD students protesting about accommodation should transfer to Tralee IT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

When MMA fighters are just laying on the ground getting their head punched in or being choked out. Just stand up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Shops that have to hand write a receipt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Doff wrote: »
    When MMA fighters are just laying on the ground getting their head punched in or being choked out. Just stand up.

Yeah. Like when teams score in football, could the other team just like, stop them?

• Advertisement

Doff wrote: »

Them not doing so might be something to do with the fact that they are lying on the ground getting their head punched in or are being choked out...

Penfailed wrote: »
    Yes, nothing is guaranteed to stop panic in the public more than keeping people in the dark and making it seem like there's something to hide by refusing to say what day, flight or airport the woman traveled. It's common knowledge that she traveled by train from Connoly station yet they refuse to confirm or deny. It's absurd to say that people who might have been infected have been contacted when there's no way of knowing who was on public transport with her. If people knew the flight, the day and the time of the train they could be prepared. This government is a farce and that chap at the conference this morning was ignorance personified with his attitude. Isolation rooms are already at 110% capacity and there were just short of 500 people on trolleys today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Yes, nothing is guaranteed to stop panic in the public more than keeping people in the dark and making it seem like there's something to hide by refusing to say what day, flight or airport the woman traveled. It's common knowledge that she traveled by train from Connoly station yet they refuse to confirm or deny. It's absurd to say that people who might have been infected have been contacted when there's no way of knowing who was on public transport with her. If people knew the flight, the day and the time of the train they could be prepared. This government is a farce and that chap at the conference this morning was ignorance personified with his attitude. Isolation rooms are already at 110% capacity and there were just short of 500 people on trolleys today.

Exactly. If it's GDPR holding back releasing info on the train she was travelling on from Dublin to Belfast, then surely a breach of that law is a small drop in the ocean then the concertina effect of the virus spreading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

Pineapple on a perfectly good pizza, why ruin it?Heh

Isolation rooms are already at 110% capacity and there were just short of 500 people on trolleys today.

If people stopped being idiots and clogging up the hospitals when they have the flu we wouldn’t have a big of a problem.

People should “self isolate” as they have been instructed to do. The only people who should be in hospitals and “isolation rooms” are the elderly.

Hundreds of people, mostly the elderly, die every year from the flu. When this one hits that number will go up by 10, maybe 15.

I’m not sure what you want here.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

I always laugh at the guff people have in their houses. Like when things are labelled. For example an elaborate sign above the bath that says “Bath”.

Ahh! There's a whole generation of these interior sheep. Grey everything, crushed velvet, zoflora, a pug/frenchie/other yappy breed, gin drinking signage - you know who you are...

I don't get low sofas. The type you sit on and whack your knees into your forehead (unless you're 3 feet tall)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

If people stopped being idiots and clogging up the hospitals when they have the flu we wouldn’t have a big of a problem.

People should “self isolate” as they have been instructed to do. The only people who should be in hospitals and “isolation rooms” are the elderly.

Hundreds of people, mostly the elderly, die every year from the flu. When this one hits that number will go up by 10, maybe 15.

I suspect that poster thinks it's all the fault of migrants, while claiming the WHO are only interested in capitalism. For most of us this would be indescernible from a head cold.

I don't get hysteria and conspiracy theories.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Exactly. If it's GDPR holding back releasing info on the train she was travelling on from Dublin to Belfast, then surely a breach of that law is a small drop in the ocean then the concertina effect of the virus spreading

There is no GDPR issue there

Why some horse breeders set a time limit for a horse to be trained. If they don't realize a horse as with other animals, have a mind of their own. So training them depends on the animal's learning curve. And when that time limit isn't met, they write them off for slaughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

BuboBubo wrote: »
    Ahh! There's a whole generation of these interior sheep. Grey everything, crushed velvet, zoflora, a pug/frenchie/other yappy breed, gin drinking signage - you know who you are...

I don't get low sofas. The type you sit on and whack your knees into your forehead (unless you're 3 feet tall)

Yankee candles?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Moomoomacshoe

I don't get where texts go..like do they just fly around us, loads of texts flying by us all day..breathing in texts. Where do they goooo..arggh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I don't get where texts go..like do they just fly around us, loads of texts flying by us all day..breathing in texts. Where do they goooo..arggh!!

Ha...I think of wifi signals as modern ley lines :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

The only people who should be in hospitals and “isolation rooms” are the elderly.

Or the very young, or those with respiratory problems which pretty much potentially means every single age group which means you are talking through your hoop.

Or the very young, or those with respiratory problems which pretty much potentially means every single age group which means you are talking through your hoop.

Listen, chief, this virus has a very low fatality rate, outside of China. Now, I’m not saying that it’s acceptable that people die but if everyone listened to the advice given, wash your hands, use sanitiser and “self isolate” if you have “symptoms” then that number would remain low.

Obviously, anyone with an “underlying” illness or if they are a feeble elderly person they should go to hospital but not before calling ahead to let them not they are coming.

I mean, you can sit there with your stockpile of tinned baked beans, giving out about how the “gubbermint” aren’t doing enough or telling you the “whole story”, that’s fine.

If you want to go around “shrieking” like a madman, while everyone around you complains about the smell of your breath, that is your “business” but the best way to stop this thing spreading remains the same.

Unfortunately, that won’t stop the more simple-minded among us from acting hysterically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Bichon Frises, why are so many women obsessed with them and treat them like accessories? As dogs go they're not even cute and I hate that pink staining they get around their eyes, mouths and holes.

• Advertisement

Listen, chief, this virus has a very low fatality rate, outside of China. Now, I’m not saying that it’s acceptable that people die but if everyone listened to the advice given, wash your hands, use sanitiser and “self isolate” if you have “symptoms” then that number would remain low.

Obviously, anyone with an “underlying” illness or if they are a feeble elderly person they should go to hospital but not before calling ahead to let them not they are coming.

I mean, you can sit there with your stockpile of tinned baked beans, giving out about how the “gubbermint” aren’t doing enough or telling you the “whole story”, that’s fine.

If you want to go around “shrieking” like a madman, while everyone around you complains about the smell of your breath, that is your “business” but the best way to stop this thing spreading remains the same.

Unfortunately, that won’t stop the more simple-minded among us from acting hysterically.

Can we not have at least one thread without the Corona virus?

Actually, many of the isolation rooms in hospitals are occupied by people who acquired MRSA and other superbugs in hospitals who are having surgical procedures now that require them to be treated separately to other patients. You haven't a notion what you are ranting about but you are hell bent on ranting anyway, if it makes you feel better keep at it but it's getting a little bit cringeworthy now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Seamai wrote: »
    Bichon Frises, why are so many women obsessed with them and treat them like accessories? As dogs go they're not even cute and I hate that pink staining they get around their eyes, mouths and holes.

6ft plus bloke built like a rugby player walks a little bischon frise with a coat around our area. Every so often, he bends down and gives the dog a little pet. Everyone knows them and they'd put you in a good mood just to see them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Small dogs in general, esp Jack Russells.

They have inflated sense of their own importance. Yapping and barking at shadows or anything at all that moves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

They have inflated sense of their own importance. Yapping and barking at shadows or anything at all that moves.

Small dogs have small man syndrome.

Great little characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Can we not have at least one thread without the Corona virus?

Or one ''post'' without those obnoxious and ''needless'' quotation marks?

I've never understood the appeal of them and they are a back yard breeder/puppy farmers delight. They're coining it in and the public don't give a crap so long as they have their yappy little white psycho dog. They do tend to be very aggressive due to the over breeding. Loads of lovely dogs and puppies in rescues and pounds needing homes but people still keep handing over hundreds of euro for these dogs. Don't get the appeal at all.

I've never understood the appeal of them and they are a back yard breeder/puppy farmers delight. They're coining it in and the public don't give a crap so long as they have their yappy little white psycho dog. They do tend to be very aggressive due to the over breeding. Loads of lovely dogs and puppies in rescues and pounds needing homes but people still keep handing over hundreds of euro for these dogs. Don't get the appeal at all.

People buying dogs as fashion accessories, ugh.

Every back yard breeder and puppy farm should be shut down by law.

I don’t get the issue with farming dogs. They are animals same as cows or sheep yet people lose their s+it over a farm that produces dogs but sees no issue whatsoever with livestock farms.

Obviously the welfare situation is an issue on a lot of puppy farms but if ran correctly I see it as no different to any other farm. The point of farming to to make money from producing animals and there is a lot of money in dogs.

• Advertisement

I don’t get the issue with farming dogs. They are animals same as cows or sheep yet people lose their s+it over a farm that produces dogs but sees no issue whatsoever with livestock farms.

Obviously the welfare situation is an issue on a lot of puppy farms but if ran correctly I see it as no different to any other farm. The point of farming to to make money from producing animals and there is a lot of money in dogs.

Cattle farms don't tend to produce weird looking cattle for "fashion" reasons with genetic conditions and short lives. And they're strictly controlled. Run foul of the Dept of Ag and they will sh1t you up and close you down.

Here we have a tiny number of dog wardens with limited powers. The public do whatever they like, they're unlikely to get caught. And if they do they can leave the dust settle and carry on as if nothing happened.
    We should do what I think Denmark did, close down dog breeders until the dogs homes are empty.

Cattle farms don't tend to produce weird looking cattle for "fashion" reasons with genetic conditions and short lives. And they're strictly controlled. Run foul of the Dept of Ag and they will sh1t you up and close you down.

Here we have a tiny number of dog wardens with limited powers. The public do whatever they like, they're unlikely to get caught. And if they do they can leave the dust settle and carry on as if nothing happened.
    We should do what I think Denmark did, close down dog breeders until the dogs homes are empty.

We have a farm I know about the regulations but at the same time you are left to work away, cross breed as you wish to get the traits you want etc.

As I did say if ran correctly I see a dog farm as no different, the issue is with the lack of oversight rather than the practice it’s self.

We have a farm I know about the regulations but at the same time you are left to work away, cross breed as you wish to get the traits you want etc.

As I did say if ran correctly I see a dog farm as no different, the issue is with the lack of oversight rather than the practice it’s self.

Let's be honest that sector won't be ever run correctly because all the Irish care about are animals that get into the food chain and perhaps horses but only at a certain level, not the nag/ethnic industry.

Do you have any idea what a puppy farm is? Jesus wept. Google Rape Stands for a start and go from there.

People buying dogs as fashion accessories, ugh.

Every back yard breeder and puppy farm should be shut down by law.
    We are the puppy farming capital of Europe

I won't have a bad word said about Jack Russell's, we had several as family pets growing up, I don't like poncy little dogs but there's nothing precious about Jack Russells.

• Advertisement

I won't have a bad word said about Jack Russell's, we had several as family pets growing up, I don't like poncy little dogs but there's nothing precious about Jack Russells.

I've always had large breeds like Labs,Rotts and once trained they will protect their pack the family. A jack Russell has no hope to defend against an intruder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Agreed, we had a Jack Russell a few years ago and she was better than any cat at catching rats and mice. Very affectionate too, they are great pets.

I've always had large breeds like Labs,Rotts and once trained they will protect their pack the family. A jack Russell has no hope to defend against an intruder.

Well in fairness our JRs were pets though their bark was enough to send quite a few callers packing and they were certainly able to compete with the best of them when some local bitch was in heat. We talk about getting a dog but as the two of are out of the house for over 10 hours a day I don't think it would be fair on the dog, when we do I think it will a bigger dog, I might even consider a greyhound.

There is a massive problem with superbug infections in Irish hospitals. I myself picked up one in an Irish hospital and can't get rid of it, it's endemic in some Dublin hospitals. There was a case in Limerick a year or so ago of a disease from Africa/Middle East that was brought into the hospital and lots of people had to be screened for it. Infection control in our hospitals is a joke.

So tell me, how do you stop a random person walking into a hospital (a place where sick people tend to go for some strange reason) with a completely unseen but contagious illness?

And what is it that Spain, Italy china, the UK and the US did with their medical facilities that make Ireland a 'joke' other than getting the video virus first?

Define 'trained'?

• Advertisement
Advertisement