Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you just "don't get"?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Maybe he fears he might have something and didn't want to pass it on.

Might be very considerate, even if less intelligent than yourself.

Definitely less intelligent, I have no doubt. If he had something he would surely have worn a mask if he was as intelligent as I. Scarf ain't keeping sh*t in or out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

You need to be close to someone for 15 minutes to be at risk, no need to dramatically walk out into the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Definitely less intelligent, I have no doubt. If he had something he would surely have worn a mask if he was as intelligent as I. Scarf ain't keeping sh*t in or out.
    Maybe, like a lot if us, he can't get a mask. I've seen news reports of health workers using scarves in lieu of proper masks.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Maybe, like a lot if us, he can't get a mask. I've seen news reports of health workers using scarves in lieu of proper masks.

Yeah, me too, they don't work though. My point being if the guy had something he should stay indoors, if he didn't, whats the point in the scarf?

Also, folks, don't buy masks unless you are infected/high risk. It takes them away from people who actually need them, doctors etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Yeah, me too, they don't work though. My point being if the guy had something he should stay indoors, if he didn't, whats the point in the scarf?

Also, folks, don't buy masks unless you are infected/high risk. It takes them away from people who actually need them, doctors etc.

Fair enough. I wanted masks for the home helps coming into my dad who obviously couldn't practice social distancing while doing their work. Couldn't get any so cancelled the service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Bad advice there, imo.

Firstly, even a dust mask (DIY type) can prevent or reduce dispersal of droplets of the wearer coughs or sneezes. The advice is to behave as if you are infected, even if you have no symptoms. A mask will also make it more difficult to inadvertently touch your mouth or nose. Look at the results of their 100% use in Asian countries in reducing transmission.

Secondly, not buying or using a mask should have no real affect on their availability to health workers. I would hazard a guess that not many retailers sell the type of masks required by health professionals.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Bad advice there, imo.

Firstly, even a dust mask (DIY type) can prevent or reduce dispersal of droplets of the wearer coughs or sneezes. The advice is to behave as if you are infected, even if you have no symptoms. A mask will also make it more difficult to inadvertently touch your mouth or nose. Look at the results of their 100% use in Asian countries in reducing transmission.

Secondly, not buying or using a mask should have no real affect on their availability to health workers. I would hazard a guess that not many retailers sell the type of masks required by health professionals.

While it may be of some small use, it will not prevent anything, very much a last chance resort as outlined below. The advice is also for the public not to wear masks. We do not have enough in the Western world to cover our healthcare staff, so they need to be prioritised. Instead, its almost becoming a fashion accessory.

Hazarding a guess isn't really good enough.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks
    • If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with suspected 2019-nCoV infection.
    • Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.
    There is limited guidance and clinical research to inform on the use of reusable cloth face masks for protection against respiratory viruses. Available evidence shows that they are less protective than surgical masks and may even increase the risk of infection due to moisture, liquid diffusion and retention of the virus.Penetration of particles through cloth is reported to be high. In one study, 40–90% of particles penetrated the mask. In a cluster randomised controlled trial,cases of influenza-like illness and laboratory-confirmed viral illness were significantly higher among healthcare workers using cloth masks compared to the ones using surgical masks[1,2] Altogether, common fabric cloth masks are not considered protective against respiratory viruses and their use should not be encouraged.In the context of severe personal protective equipment (PPE) shortages, and only if surgical masks or respirators are not available, home-made cloth masks (e.g. scarves) are proposed as a last-resort interim solution by the US CDC until availability of standard PPE is restored

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/kidspost/face-mask-shortage-causes-governments-to-step-in-to-help-medical-workers/2020/03/03/852755fe-5400-11ea-b119-4faabac6674f_story.html
    Governments are taking emergency steps to ease shortages of face masks for front-line doctors and nurses dealing with the spread of the new coronavirus.
    The French government announced it would claim supplies of protective masks, while the United States relaxed rules on the kind of masks health-care workers can use.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/ppe-strategy/face-masks.html

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2020-03-25/coronavirus-covid-19-face-mask-surgical-mask-protection/12088314
    While protecting yourself from coronavirus is key to helping slow its spread, face masks are not recommended for healthy members of the general public.
    They are, however, essential for people who are suspected or confirmed of having COVID-19, or looking after someone who is unwell.
    That includes frontline health workers, who are facing major shortages of masks, with some hospitals reportedly days away from running out.
    While masks can help to prevent transmission of disease from infected people to others, they are not recommended for healthy people for the prevention of infections like COVID-19.
    That's because there is limited evidence to support the widespread use of surgical masks in healthy people to prevent community transmission.
    Bruce Thompson, dean of health at Swinburne University, said the Federal Government was right to discourage healthy people from wearing face masks, since "panic buying" of masks was limiting supply to those that needed them most.
    "We don't have the supply chain for everyone to have them, and the hospitals need them," he said.

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/31/21198132/coronavirus-covid-face-masks-n95-respirator-ppe-shortage
    The shift in expert guidance has come in the past couple of weeks — as the coronavirus has spread throughout the US. A recent report by public health experts for the conservative-leaning American Enterprise Institute (AEI) was unequivocal: “everyone, including people without symptoms, should be encouraged to wear nonmedical fabric face masks while in public.”
    You should note who conducted that study^^^
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Enterprise_Institute

Before going on to read:
    This all comes with a big caveat: When it comes to traditional medical masks, we still need to address a supply shortage for doctors, nurses, and other health care workers before people buy their own masks. A big public run on masks could make an already critical shortage of masks and other personal protective equipment (PPE) for doctors and nurses even worse. The shortage doesn’t just hurt health care workers, but all of us — because we need as many doctors and nurses as possible to stay healthy so they can treat and save people who are sick, not just with Covid-19 but with other illnesses too.

“I am worried that telling people to wear masks will strain already weak supplies that are needed by doctors and nurses,” Jennifer Nuzzo, an epidemiologist at Johns Hopkins University, told me. “If we are able to fix that supply chain, I’d feel less worried about this. But some of the shortages initially were due to members of public and medical staff raiding medical offices’ and hospitals’ supplies for home use.”
    There’s also a concern that public masks could give people an exaggerated sense of security. Masks don’t make you invincible, and they absolutely can’t replace good hygiene — Wash your hands! Don’t touch your face! — and social distancing. Even in Asian countries where widespread mask use is common, good hygiene and social distancing have been necessary to combat Covid-19. Epidemiological models also suggest coronavirus cases will rise if social distancing measures are relaxed, potentially causing hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of deaths in the US alone.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-covid-19-ppe-face-mask-shortages-creative-solutions
    As COVID-19 sweeps across the United States, hospitals are running out of masks, gowns and eye protection. New supplies aren’t being made fast enough to keep up with demand, and stockpiles seem insufficient.
    Proposals have flooded in with predominant themes emerging on how to reuse the face masks called N95s, thick, tight-fitting masks that can block tiny virus particles, and how to make alternatives to commercial ones. The innovation on display convinced surgeon Ed Livingston, a coauthor of the editorial and an editor at JAMA, that “this is the biomedical engineering community’s Apollo 13 moment.”
    In this fast-moving emergency, it’s unclear which homespun efforts will help the most.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s new crisis guidelines to health care workers says that where no face masks are available, homemade masks, made of bandannas or scarves, for instance, can be used as a last resort.“That’s how desperate they are, that they said that,” Livingston says.
    Cloth masks aren’t ideal. A 2015 study of over 1,000 healthcare workers in Hanoi, Vietnam, found that those who were assigned to wear cloth masks were more likely to get a respiratory virus than those who wore medical masks, made of thick fibers that catch a range of particles.

Thus concludes my longest post on Boards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

people who wear masks while driving their car, and its just themselves in the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

pgj2015 wrote: »
    people who wear masks while driving their car, and its just themselves in the car.

Surely it is better to leave it on rather than remove it every time you get in and out of the car. Less chance of contamination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Arguments where people are so single minded about something ...or just get mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Humans.

I don't get humans.

There I said it.

I don't get sex either.. .. .. literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

People who buy their kids dirt bikes when they have no where to go on. Other then up and down streets. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

jaxxx wrote: »
    Humans.

I don't get humans.

There I said it.

I don't get sex either.. .. .. literally.

Solving the first problem would likely solve the second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Shady Grady

Arguments where people are so single minded about something ...or just get mad.

MOD: Deleted - Watch your tone please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

MOD: Deleted - Watch your tone please

Oh dear I have a nutter following me around.

This because of the bible thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭RCSATELLITES

What do irish people spend their money on? Everybody seems to be broke or pretend to be. I suppose no one had a rainy day fund for this pandemic. And now that everything is closed will everybody be loaded with cash or?

Also please bear in mind that 611,877 houses are owned outright.
    Almost half of all rural houses are owned outright.

What do irish people spend their money on? Everybody seems to be broke or pretend to be. I suppose no one had a rainy day fund for this pandemic. And now that everything is closed will everybody be loaded with cash or?

Also please bear in mind that 611,877 houses are owned outright.
    Almost half of all rural houses are owned outright.

How many people have you actual detailed knowledge of their finances?

Your probably experiencing confirmation bias where you focus on the people who say that the 3 people out of a group of 6 who say that they are broke and ignore that the other 3 (or 2 if not counting yourself) didn't say anything.

What do irish people spend their money on?

Alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Big kick ass Jeeps that they can drive two miles to the Shopping Mall and at the weekend clog up the narrow roads in our natural beauty spots.

They also buy sunglasses which they carry on the top of their heads.

White trousers (females) a must have garment for a girls nite out in restaurent / pub.

Stuff like that........

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

While it may be of some small use, it will not prevent anything, very much a last chance resort as outlined below. The advice is also for the public not to wear masks. We do not have enough in the Western world to cover our healthcare staff, so they need to be prioritised. Instead, its almost becoming a fashion accessory.

Hazarding a guess isn't really good enough.
    All those links are promoting non use of masks among the public almost entirely because of supply issues in the health services. A few of them are quite clear on this. That's it. End of. Full stop. Period, if you're American.

Their efficacy was demonstrated in numerous studies into the spread of SARS, where they were found and I quote "strongly protective" in lessening the spread among the community. The Czech Republic have mandated their use in public settings, homemade as well as shop bought and a grassroots campaign on social media is helping to make and distribute them and their community R0 number has notably dropped since their introduction. In Austria you can't enter a shop or supermarket or enclosed public space without one. In Korea and Taiwan you have to wear one outdoors or suffer a fine and Taiwan spent government monies to distribute them to every household. When the WHO first showed up in Wuhan among the first things the local doctors and scientists asked was why aren't you wearing masks and promptly issued them.

I will lay bets now that in six months time the masks are no use in community settings will be considered bad advice worldwide.

Things I don't get? How people can read HSE missives on a subject like the above where they state in plain english two contradictory statements that fly in the face of the most basic logic, but people continue to swallow it and repeat it as gospel. Though it does amply demonstrate how "marketing" and "propaganda" can short circuit logical thinking in the public psyche, even when it's coming from an overall positive angle.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Banana bread

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Alcohol.
    Lately we rub it on our hands more than pour it down our throat ;)

Wibbs wrote: »
    All those links are promoting non use of masks among the public almost entirely because of supply issues in the health services. A few of them are quite clear on this. That's it. End of. Full stop. Period, if you're American.

Their efficacy was demonstrated in numerous studies into the spread of SARS, where they were found and I quote "strongly protective" in lessening the spread among the community. The Czech Republic have mandated their use in public settings, homemade as well as shop bought and a grassroots campaign on social media is helping to make and distribute them and their community R0 number has notably dropped since their introduction. In Austria you can't enter a shop or supermarket or enclosed public space without one. In Korea and Taiwan you have to wear one outdoors or suffer a fine and Taiwan spent government monies to distribute them to every household. When the WHO first showed up in Wuhan among the first things the local doctors and scientists asked was why aren't you wearing masks and promptly issued them.

I will lay bets now that in six months time the masks are no use in community settings will be considered bad advice worldwide.

Things I don't get? How people can read HSE missives on a subject like the above where they state in plain english two contradictory statements that fly in the face of the most basic logic, but people continue to swallow it and repeat it as gospel. Though it does amply demonstrate how "marketing" and "propaganda" can short circuit logical thinking in the public psyche, even when it's coming from an overall positive angle.

I agree with you on some of that Wibbs (some of it is referenced in my post) and while I'm not going over the whole thing again I will say the shortage is a worldwide problem (as referenced in my post), not just American. I also didn't quote the HSE at any point, if that part was aimed at me.

I would rather take what WHO and others have to say into account than lay bets about it but of course proper masks are of some use (not scarves as was being discussed earlier), when and only when they are used properly and with other measures. Homemade masks are used as a last resort (also part of my post). The problem is these homemade versions are being used by healthcare staff because there is a shortage, while people do not need them are wearing them.

Edit: I think I went on too much last night and I think I might be doing it again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I would rather take what WHO and others have to say into account than lay bets about it
    Actually D I would increasingly take with a large pinch of salt what the WHO has to say on many things. They're woefully underfunded, take ages to pull their finger out and are all too keen to kow tow politically when and where it suits. Their performance during the current crisis has been at times woefully and dangerously incompetent. They're not fit for purpose in their current incarnation and need a total rejig and a tonne of cash and resources thrown at them. Hopefully they'll get it now. But that's off topic so.. :o:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I don't get why WHO are underfunded :pac:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

I don’t get why people keep voting for the same **** in every country over and over again. Do people not want society to improve? Scandinavian countries have the correct approach but that needs to be taken further.

Can’t understand why anyone wants to live in a society where people are able to go around without education, without the ability to critically think, read statistics, etc. A society where people are able to walk the streets with their Adidas tracksuits without even knowing what Dáil Éireann is or how anything works. Why are we as a society accepting this? Why do we keep voting for Fine Gael/Fianna Fail neoliberal free market capitalism? It doesn’t work in the UK, it doesn’t work in the USA and it certainly doesn’t work here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Wibbs wrote: »
    Actually D I would increasingly take with a large pinch of salt what the WHO has to say on many things.

They made mugs of all when “this” all started.

We were all laughing at the mouth breathers, oddballs, SF voters and other “cranks” who were banging on about the ‘5G Black Death’ that would rival the Spanish Flu coming our way.

We’re not laughing now.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

They made mugs of all when “this” all started.

We were all laughing at the mouth breathers, oddballs, SF voters and other “cranks” who were banging on about the ‘5G Black Death’ that would rival the Spanish Flu coming our way.

We’re not laughing now.

Yes but a stopped clock is correct once a day.

Or in this case a raving idiot is correct once a century.

Tomrota wrote: »
    I don’t get why people keep voting for the same **** in every country over and over again. Do people not want society to improve? Scandinavian countries have the correct approach but that needs to be taken further.

Can’t understand why anyone wants to live in a society where people are able to go around without education, without the ability to critically think, read statistics, etc. A society where people are able to walk the streets with their Adidas tracksuits without even knowing what Dáil Éireann is or how anything works. Why are we as a society accepting this? Why do we keep voting for Fine Gael/Fianna Fail neoliberal free market capitalism? It doesn’t work in the UK, it doesn’t work in the USA and it certainly doesn’t work here.

Ireland is, per capita, one of the most highly educated countries in the world.
    Proportionally speaking, we also rate highly in access to healthcare and accommodation even though both of these areas have significant room for improvement.
    We recovered faster than most countries after the financial crash of 08 and are projected to be one of the more secure economies by the OECD in terms of resilience to the impact of Covid-19.

And before you say that I am just another FF/FG shill or capitalist pig, I am aligned with neither and spend a good portion of my time here advocating for real significant action on practices relating to the climate and also defending myself from accusations of being some sort of liberal or SJW on various other topics.

We have massive room for improvement, but, we need to find a way to work at this without throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭bonny!

Posters on this site who give out about social media referring to Facebook, Instagram etc. This is social media. As if being anonymous makes it honorable or something :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Those horrible looking white SUVs that seem to be almost exclusively driven by women.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

bonny! wrote: »
    Posters on this site who give out about social media referring to Facebook, Instagram etc. This is social media. As if being anonymous makes it honorable or something :pac:

I knew someone who sneered at Facebook but was on about 7 messaging apps, instagram and other sites like boards. "Facebook is for sharing with strangers" he said. :D

Facebook can be a good resource and it can be fun. It is what you make it, and who you choose to interact with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Fad diets.
    Atkins, Paleo, Blood type, etc.
    They all boil down to the one thing; calories in Vs calories out.
    Burn off more than you consume and you'll lose weight.
    That
    Is
    It.

The witch hunting of perceived pandemic rule breakers.
    I read an article describing *every single person* at an *outdoor food market* as a "selfish piece of sh1t".

Wtf are people like that writer thinking? What's the real reason for dehumanising people for legally buying food ,as "pieces of sh1t" ? This sort of thing is usually followed by gleeful comments about the punishments that should be served.

I know for a fact some of the most vociferous denunciations have been made by people who flouted every bit of advice and protocol until the last minute. The " it's just the flu" crew. So why the scapegoating...It's weirdly fascinating.

I don't get Terry Prachett. Everyone tells me I'll love his books.

I read an article describing *every single person* at an *outdoor food market* as a "selfish piece of sh1t".

Wtf are people like that writer thinking? What's the real reason for dehumanising people for legally buying food ,as "pieces of sh1t" ? This sort of thing is usually followed by gleeful comments about the punishments that should be served.

I know for a fact some of the most vociferous denunciations have been made by people who flouted every bit of advice and protocol until the last minute. The " it's just the flu" crew. So why the scapegoating...It's weirdly fascinating.

its the usual story, angry people taking out frustrations because of their $hit life on others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There was a poster on a regional forum here castigating people for not wearing gloves and facemasks, like he was.

You couldn't make it up - giving out about people following official guidelines.
    The public are being asked to leave face masks for people who really need them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

fussyonion wrote: »
    Fad diets.
    Atkins, Paleo, Blood type, etc.
    They all boil down to the one thing; calories in Vs calories out.
    Burn off more than you consume and you'll lose weight.
    That
    Is
    It.

I agree that dieting for a period of time doesn't work but it's not as simple as calories in v calories out, theirs also fighting the urge for unhealthy food and staying motivated with exercise which take a considerable amount of effort to maintain.

:eek: I always thought you got your username from his Discworld books.

• Advertisement

:eek: I always thought you got your username from his Discworld books.

I didn't know it was in them until someone else said the same :)

Maybe I need to givd them another go, as I only glanced through about 10 years ago.

I didnt "get" the pillars of the earth, another one people tell me I would love. Just didn't grab me.

People, and there are a lot of them out there, who throw their disposable gloves on the ground. Put them in the bin or take them home 'disposable' does not meen you can just throw them at your arse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I love Terry Pratchett's books but I don't think they are for everyone. You would need at least a passing interest in fantasy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Watches

We have a forum even here about watches which I read but I am so completely uninformed I never post

I see google ads for watches and some look nice to me

What I don't get is the massive cost. I've seen 300 euro watches which look super and 30,000 euro watches which are godawful ugly

I think the most expensive watch I bought from a jeweller was 60 euro and I liked it and was happy. Some can pay tens of thousands!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Read one of his books awhile back, based on the recommendation of a geek cousin. Was called ‘Moving Pictures’.

He said I’d enjoy it based on the fact that he knew I liked Monty Python. I actually had high hopes for the book, it had a rather “heavy chested” cartoon woman on the cover.

Not sure if they do grown up covers for adults too ashamed to be reading kid’s books, as they did with the Harry Porter ones.

The cover was a bluff, anyway. There was no “bawdy” element to this pseudo-parody of the early Hollywood film era. Just trolls, wizards, little gremlins, dwarves, and a talking dog, you know, the usual fantasy “parade”. Or is it magical realism?

Anyway, I’d suggest one of Tom Holt’s books if you’re looking for “comic” re-telling of historical/mythical events.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Direct line ads. A travesty to the movies. Why on earth do some ad folks think its a great idea?

Dan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Don't get why people buy scarves, they are one of the most useless items in existence

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Watches

We have a forum even here about watches which I read but I am so completely uninformed I never post

I see google ads for watches and some look nice to me

What I don't get is the massive cost. I've seen 300 euro watches which look super and 30,000 euro watches which are godawful ugly

I think the most expensive watch I bought from a jeweller was 60 euro and I liked it and was happy. Some can pay tens of thousands!
    Banned. Fcuk! Wrong forum.

634d442facebc75116f03c1a88b04fecf563e74ca966a37fb999b20055586135.jpg

:D

Yeah MM a large part of the cost with many brands is down to marketing and the luxury aspect and perceptions of rarity and authenticity. Like anything buy what you like. I've a few that cost me little enough but would be expensive now, but my fave watches I wear most? Cost me 200 quid or under and even with the mad "values" more latterly wouldn't be much more these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The Watch Wan*ers Forum, I know it well!

* = t

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Esel wrote: »
    The Watch Wan*ers Forum, I know it well!

* = t

You are so lucky I had to scroll down to card you:D

The amount of casual drink driving shown on tv shows and films.
    Keep an eye out for it and you will notice it loads.

In Friday Night Dinner on C4 for instance, every time Auntie Val calls over she goes straight for the wine, then she drives back home.

• Advertisement
Advertisement