Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Germanwings crash

Options
  • 17-12-2019 5:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

I remember the deliberate crash by Andreas Lubitz on Germanwings back in 2015 and was wondering if European airlines have any protocols to prevent it from happening again.

I've heard that most airlines even at the tine implement a "2 crew members" in the cockpit at all times but since most flight attendants are female, wouldn't a suicidal pilot just overpower the flight attendant and crash the plane?

What about installing a loo in the cockpit?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Are you suggesting a female flight attendant wouldn’t be capable of simply unlocking the flight deck door as she’d be trained to do!? And then allowing the second pilot back in, who may also be female anyway! The purpose of the flight attendant in the flight deck isn’t to wrestle a Rogue suicidal pilot, it’s simply to re open the flight deck door.
    And yes most* airlines still implement the 2 persons in the flight deck rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Yep! In the summer on a Ryanair flight from Lanzerote the seat belt sign came on and a Female cabin crew went into the flight deck as either the Captain or the FO came out to go to the loo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Locker10a wrote: »
    Are you suggesting a female flight attendant wouldn’t be capable of simply unlocking the flight deck door as she’d be trained to do!? And then allowing the second pilot back in, who may also be female anyway! The purpose of the flight attendant in the flight deck isn’t to wrestle a Rogue suicidal pilot, it’s simply to re open the flight deck door.
    And yes most* airlines still implement the 2 persons in the flight deck rule.

Bingo. Ryanair do not have CCTV installed on their aircraft hence this requirement. With airlines that have CCTV then the 2 person in the flight deck rule is optional and down to the airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭wench

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Bingo. Ryanair do not have CCTV installed on their aircraft hence this requirement. With airlines that have CCTV then the 2 person in the flight deck rule is optional and down to the airline.
    How does having cctv help with regaining access to the flightdeck?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

wench wrote: »
    How does having cctv help with regaining access to the flightdeck?

There is a requirement to see who is trying to enter the flight deck and to make sure there isn't someone else with them. So you can either look at the cctv or get out of your seat and look through the spy glass. Of course the latter would require the pilot to vacate their seat which of course would not be allowed.

That's only 1 of a number of security measures which I'm not going to discuss here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭franglan

Oh discuss away. Why wouldn't you discuss it ~here.
    ������

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭wench

IngazZagni wrote: »
    There is a requirement to see who is trying to enter the flight deck and to make sure there isn't someone else with them. So you can either look at the cctv or get out of your seat and look through the spy glass. Of course the latter would require the pilot to vacate their seat which of course would not be allowed.

That's only 1 of a number of security measures which I'm not going to discuss here.
    ok, but the issue being discussed wasn't how to keep out unwanted intruders, but how to keep a pilot from locking everyone else out of the cockpit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

wench wrote: »
    ok, but the issue being discussed wasn't how to keep out unwanted intruders, but how to keep a pilot from locking everyone else out of the cockpit.

And the answer is, a second crew member in the flight deck who can open the door if/when needs be. Which is the current procedure at all Irish airlines and most elsewhere that I’m aware of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Many airlines dropped the EASA recommendation to have a CCM or additional pilot in the flight deck a few months after the Germanwings accident - just not in Ireland.

This is the result of the survey which highlighted that this knee jerk type or reaction does little to improve safety.

https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/default/files/dfu/Summary%20of%20survey%20results%20SIB%202015-04.pdf

As a result there is an updated SIB.

I would be more worried about electronic cigarettes, disruptive passengers and lithium batteries than flight crew going for a leak to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Oh god. He’s found A&A.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Oh god. He’s found A&A.

LOL

I shuddered also when i saw who the OP was.

Brace yourselves A&A, This lad is a real beaut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Best ignored IMO.

Advertisement