Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil service job - feel i am being taken advantage of

Options
  • 17-12-2019 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi ,

I took a new contract as an EO in ICT after a year on a different EO contract. I don't want to give away too much details in order to remain anonymous. I had a chat with the AP before deciding to take the EO ICT job and i voiced that my main concern was that i would not be treated like an ordinary EO with just 2 or 3 years experience as that was all that was required to qualify for the job.
    The reality is that i have more than 15+ years in the field of IT and there are two other EO's in the team. I assumed that i would be doing what they're doing which is straightforward work such as fixing pc's, infrastructure stuff, printers, emails and all that. But what's happened is that i'm being assigned highly analytical tasks for a software application which is a monster to work with and they're asking me to take care of the complex technical tasks such as interfaces, reports, business analysis, requirements consultation etc .
    Neither of the two other EO's would have a clue what to do and i know these tasks are usually assigned to Senior Application Developers or Senior ICT Analysts roles in the public sector with a salary of €45,000 to €50,000. I turned down a job with DIT for €50,000 as i was assured that i would not be doing tasks expected of a IT person with a lot of experience in the EO role. The current salary for the EO job is €30,000 and yet i feel i'm being used to do the work that contractors do and they're planning to discontinue using them and possibly have me absorb the work in the absence of the contractors.
    Thing is, i really liked working there in the past year and i get on well with all the staff and i would like to stay on but i cannot abide the fact that i'm being taken advantage of and i know they're only doing this because of the experience on my CV. Even just today a contractor just suggested a task that i could do when she's being paid for the exact same work at a much higher scale. This really ticked me off and so i'm just wondering what my options are other than just looking for other jobs. Are there any other EO's out there with this kind of situation? i'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭Augme

Have you discussed this with your AP?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭the14thwarrior

My guess is you took on tasks and now are expected to do them "because you can" and you are feeling put upon. Because you are being put upon.

Only a clear, formal discussion on your expectations coming into the role, with a job description in your hand, and a firm resolution not to take on these tasks will result in a meaningful result.

it should have been crystal clear from the start, and from the onset, laying out what the expectations are. And if you go on with doing the work, and then complain in six months time, it will be too late and despite it all, will reflect badly on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 galaxiban

Apart from the initial discussion that i had with the AP before agreeing to take on the role, i brought up my concerns with my HEO about a week and a half ago. I made it clear that i felt i was being taken advantage of and i wanted to be reasonable and meet him halfway so i said i would do one or two things. But it doesn't really seem to have made a difference as i was asked by the AP to take on board all of the interfaces for the product and then the contractor also suggested more analyst work in a meeting which took me by surprise. I'm only in the role 6 weeks and it's just snowballed so fast that i think i may have no choice but to leave a job that i had hoped would at least be an enjoyable one to work in for a few years. I will attempt one more discussion with the HEO about the recent events and see what the outcome is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

You appear to have the technical ability so why not embrace it, work hard, maintain a good attitude, build up your CV and get promoted or seek work elsewhere where you will be remunerated better.

In my area in the public service it was a couple of very bright and willing Grade 3 people who set up and trouble-shot a very tricky new computer system to be used countrywide, with no support from the overseas company who supplied the bare bones of the software. Sometimes people like these never get promotion and are being used by far less able people at the top of the pyramid. It’s only too common for talented and able people to be taken advantage of.

• Advertisement

McCrack wrote: »
    You appear to have the technical ability so why not embrace it, work hard, maintain a good attitude, build up your CV and get promoted or seek work elsewhere where you will be remunerated better.

Your point is valid, I could very well do the job and reduce the need for them to actually create a proper role for the tasks at a more appropriate salary. Also I've been in this situation a few times before in the belief that hard work would get me promoted and it never materialised despite assurances from managers in previous jobs. I'm just not prepared to get burnt again and would rather do a what's expected of anyone with 2 or 3 years experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

galaxiban wrote: »
    Your point is valid, I could very well do the job and reduce the need for them to actually create a proper role for the tasks at a more appropriate salary. Also I've been in this situation a few times before in the belief that hard work would get me promoted and it never materialised despite assurances from managers in previous jobs. I'm just not prepared to get burnt again and would rather do a what's expected of anyone with 2 or 3 years experience.

It might be time to act dumb and suggest the tasks are too complex for you and ask them for someone more senior to take them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

There's another way to look at this.

Rather than being taken advantage of...your experience is being recognised and you're being tasked with higher profile work because you're capable.

If you look to do just the same as the others you could end up becoming bored and with the higher profile work on your CV your chances of promotion are much better.

Don't be a fool for them but equally look to the future....your future.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

Is there a job evaluation process? I have worked in roles beyond my grade and completed tasks beyond my grade and job description. I completed those tasks unpaid for a couple of years but submitted a job evaluation and got duly promoted. I have seen colleagues go from grade 3/4 to 6 and a few to a 7. The onus is on the employee to apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

galaxiban wrote: »
    ...I turned down a job with DIT for €50,000 as i was assured that i would not be doing tasks expected of a IT person with a lot of experience in the EO role. ...

I assume that means you don't want to do a more advanced role regardless if you have the skillset or experience to do it. I know that some people just dislike this kind of work and that's fair enough. You might make it clear that you are content in the lesser role and to excel in that. But were unhappy in the other work that you are being asked to do.

In that case simply say no when asked to do the more advanced work. That will probably have a negative impact your working relationship. Once you realise this.
    The alternative is to look for a higher role to be created for you. If you like working there. If it doesn't materialize then leave. But you've been here before.
    In either case its up to to negotiate your role. It's the nature of IT to scope creep. You always have to push back on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I had a similar experience in the Public Sector, I was desperate to get out of the Private Sector after two redundancies so I took on an EO position. I worked above and beyond my grade, and when a HEO position came up of the same expertise, I applied and did the interview. I missed out by a couple of points and wasn't offered the job, and then they had the cheek to ask me to train the new hire. I could never understand why people refused to take on extra responsibility in the PS, but I know now that they're so underresourced that they work the good people to the bone and the wasters are left to coast by. I left that place 2.5 years ago and even though I joined another Public Sector organisation, I refused to take on more than what was appropriate at my level.

I just got promoted, and I genuinely think in addition to my competence, saying no when it got too much was a factor in my progression.

Lux23 wrote: »
    I had a similar experience in the Public Sector, I was desperate to get out of the Private Sector after two redundancies so I took on an EO position. I worked above and beyond my grade, and when a HEO position came up of the same expertise, I applied and did the interview. I missed out by a couple of points and wasn't offered the job, and then they had the cheek to ask me to train the new hire. I could never understand why people refused to take on extra responsibility in the PS, but I know now that they're so underresourced that they work the good people to the bone and the wasters are left to coast by. I left that place 2.5 years ago and even though I joined another Public Sector organisation, I refused to take on more than what was appropriate at my level.

I just got promoted, and I genuinely think in addition to my competence, saying no when it got too much was a factor in my progression.

Your experience is exactly what i'm trying to avoid falling into and it seems that it's better to be assertive and somewhat play hard to get. In some sad way, this probably gets you more respect as opposed to being eager to prove yourself and working beyond your grade.
    I had a chat today with the HEO and made my position clear on the duties of the role and we agreed that it would be more infrastructure based and then only a light/casual approach to looking at the interfaces only but no responsibility for that in managing it or implementing them and no business analysis stuff. Time will tell if this chat achieved anything.

Also congratulations on your promotion, glad to see that it worked out well in the end for you

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭midlands1

Sound familiar all right. They have us complete role profiles every year and midterm reviews. But the goalposts could change the day after your submit your forms ,and no reference is made back to your role profile, your just expected to with the flow

• Registered Users Posts: 32,917 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

You really need to talk to your manager, what is your job spec and what is in your PMDs?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Ask to be put on the EO Higher scale. I think you need to be two years in though but perhaps a case could be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If you're interested in going for promotions, being able to show that you've been operating at higher level already is very important. Many candidates for HEO posts would be able to point to particular roles or projects where they already carried out the team and project management functions of a HEO.

So you could jump in to the more advanced projects with gusto, and use the experience to help you climb the path. You can still have a hard discussion with your line manager and your HR to look for recognition, but one possible outcome of this is that you get stuck back down doing the lower level work. Be careful what you wish for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

He deliberately turned down a job at a higher level and on more money. Why would he do a u-turn on it now.

Advertisement