Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trial witness needs some advice please.

• 17-12-2019 10:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭

Hi hope this is the right place.

Anyway, I was a witness to a crime. Guards took a statement and I managed to be able to give a lot of information.

There may be a court case next year. I am partially deaf, that worries me as I may not be able to hear everything asked of me in the witness box. It is actually making me a bit anxious TBH.

I do not use signing. I can hear great on the phone and with headphones but in company and with any background noise I struggle. I am wondering if there is anything the courts will do to assist my inability to hear proceedings properly?

I have been excused from Jury Service with medical evidence because of my hearing loss.

I will contact the Courts Service in the New Year just in case. But wonder about it. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Mention it before the case to the garda that you are dealing with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭wench

You could contact the accessibility officer here, to see what accommodations can be made.
    http://www.courts.ie/Courts.ie/Library3.nsf/pagecurrent/1C65B6A925A43A4A80257FB8004AEFDB?opendocument

I was on jury duty in the new Central Courts building last year, and all the witnesses, barristers, judge etc all were speaking into microphones, so it was quite clear.
    A couple of people asked the barristers to repeat the question, which wasn't an issue either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Thanks for the reassurance and the information. I actually phoned Courts Service earlier and they could not have been more helpful.

I have nerve damage in the ear and hearing aids do not work for me, so induction loop system won't work, as I thought!

Anyway, they very helpfully said that I should contact the Accessibility officer once the supbpoena arrives and I have a court date, and they would take me into an empty courtroom a week or two beforehand, and replicate the sound systems to see if that will suffice for me. They were so helpful and allayed a lot of my fears.

Kudos to the Courts Service!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

In fairness to the courts system I have always found them to be excellent with accessibility issues. If you can't hear a barristers question the judge will usually give out to them not you, however in the main they are very clear when speaking.

Advertisement