Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This is a thread about the 2020 Six Nations, formerly the Five Nations

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Fantastic game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

They won’t show it again but Biggar went for a cheap shot on whomever kicked out for the French, Serin or the replacement 10

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Tackler didn’t release Tompkins which allowed that Jackal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

What a result. Vivé Lé France.

AWJ still complaining about the scrum.

This really is unbecoming even for the Welsh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Delighted to see the Welsh get stuffed!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

razorblunt wrote: »
    They won’t show it again but Biggar went for a cheap shot on whomever kicked out for the French, Serin or the replacement 10
    Looking back, it was more of a push than a cheap shot
    None the less, game was over he should be nowhere near him.

Looking back, it was more of a push than a cheap shot
    None the less, game was over he should be nowhere near him.

Yeah, he went straight at him though. Cheap push more than a cheap shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

What a result. Vivé Lé France.

A great result for France certainly, and I think anyone who loves this game will love to see that team playing like the French of old.

However for me Wales should have won that. They created more than enough chances but they butchered them. I also believe they were robbed of a penalty try at the end. But even so, they were the architects of their own downfall.

I think this is a terrible result for Ireland in just about every way. Even assuming we get through England (who are clear favourites imo) we will have to travel to Paris to play a resurgent French team who now have serious momentum and are playing with confidence and panache.

I don't like our chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

mangobob wrote: »
    A great result for France certainly, and I think anyone who loves this game will love to see that team playing like the French of old.

However for me Wales should have won that. They created more than enough chances but they butchered them. I also believe they were robbed of a penalty try - or a try at the very least - at the end. But even so, they were the architects of their own downfall.

I think this is a terrible result for Ireland in just about every way. Even assuming we get through England (who are clear favourites imo) we will have to travel to Paris to play a resurgent French team who now have serious momentum and are playing with confidence and panache.

I don't like our chances.

Could be epic though. Gotta win tomorrow first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Even though France won this match today. It is not a BP win. Ireland could have a chance here to overtake them on the table when they play England tomorrow. It could be a great advantage for AF because his Ireland side is playing against a under-performing England side from Jones.

But still Le Bleu have won today. And it was the sweetest result you could ask for. Well done France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Welsh coach in the post match interview continuing with the Welsh coach tradition of whinging about the on field decisions to blame towards their loss.

Cheka is a good analyst though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

Pivac winging about the scrum. Sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

I think Ireland can suffocate them with some discipline. A lot of silly offloads from Wales, and some suicidal passing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

OldRio wrote: »
    Pivac winging about the scrum. Sweet.

It's very telling that this is the second game they've openly complained about the refereeing of the scrum. Makes you think they know it's a big area of weakness for them and are trying to creative a different narrative.

Wales are in trouble.

They weren't able to physically match France, they weren't able to outwork them over the 80.

France definitely better but I'm not sure whether it's their improvement or just how abject Wales were that is the story here.

Wales had a lot of experience on the pitch but couldn't adapt to the French game plan. That's an older team and I question what they have coming up to fill in the obvious gaps in quality across their 23.

Pivac on the back foot now, needs to put Scotland away and have a good showing against England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Wales are a good side with absolutely no depth if a few names are missing. With awful regional sides and poor underage teams of late it’ll be interesting to see how Pivac goes about widening his player base

Clegg wrote: »
    It's very telling that this is the second game they've openly complained about the refereeing of the scrum. Makes you think they know it's a big area of weakness for them and are trying to creative a different narrative.

Agree and it looks as though they have shot themselves in the foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Pivac on the back foot now, needs to put Scotland away and have a good showing against England.

They would have to have their worst performance to allow that dreadful Scottish side beat them.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Fair play to France! A total reboot for the squad and going with youth. Not perfect , but certainly going in the right direction. Ntamak is bloody good! He's been the best 10 this far. Aldritt is also class. France are unearthing some gems!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Teddy tomas could be the new French mascot. A prancing cock

Lol

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

mangobob wrote: »

Surely it's better that they play clear favourites and resurgent teams than not?

It might not win them the tournament but they'll be under no illusions about where they are in the pecking order.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I always find games involving Wales brings out the hypocrisy in this forum. All the barbs thrown Wales way, I have no doubt Welsh fans think the same of Ireland. Petulant Biggar => stroppy sexton. Blaming the ref => joe Schmidt and RWC loss to japan. And so on. Just saying, but there is no doubt the Celtic cousins are the most detested. I suppose like Aussie and NZ.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    I always find games involving Wales brings out the hypocrisy in this forum. All the barbs thrown Wales way, I have no doubt Welsh fans think the same of Ireland. Petulant Biggar => stroppy sexton. Blaming the ref => joe Schmidt and RWC loss to japan. And so on. Just saying, but there is no doubt the Celtic cousins are the most detested. I suppose like Aussie and NZ.

Hypocrisy on a sports forum - OH THE HUMANITY

Pick a country. Go to the most popular rugby forum. Observe hypocrisy.

Feeling the need to point out the obvious is the bigger story here swiwi, I thought we were friends!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

I always shout for Wales in any game, bar against us.... most people used to do so ...
    But I think that all changed when Gatland went to Wales, there was a definite cooling in relations then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Wales were particularly bad yesterday though. Forgetting Biggar moaning at the ref etc, as the game wore on the players were getting salty at the breakdown and there was petulant moments all over the place - seemed to be a scuffle with a French player every minute or two that the ref and his touch judges failed to address - because they were losing their heads. What you are saying is true in the abstract, but in a vacuum that was particularly bad.

Do you think any reasonable number of people on this forum agree with Schmidt that the ref was responsible for the loss against Japan?

They’ve become our biggest rival. We always want to beat England and want them to lose but when we play Wales things seem to ramp up on the competitive side. Reckon it started with Gatland taking over after getting “shafted” by the IRFU.

I actually thought Biggar had a point complaining about the french lad blocking his “drop out”. The guy moved in front of him and put his hands in the air.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Do you think any reasonable number of people on this forum agree with Schmidt that the ref was responsible for the loss against Japan?

No not Schmidt just a poor rugby team. Irl has never gotten past 8th place in a 9 team "world cup" tournament. So what's the excuse for all the other failures.
    I watched Italy v Scotland yesterday and the standard of rugby was atrocious. It's not a 6 nations tournament. At best 4 teams should be competing, the other two are 2nd rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

TCM wrote: »
    I watched Italy v Scotland yesterday and the standard of rugby was atrocious. It's not a 6 nations tournament. At best 4 teams should be competing, the other two are 2nd rate.

Yes two very poor teams playing for nothing. Surely relegation has to be introduced. The current closed shop format is very tired. I am not suggesting things would automatically get better with promotion/relegation but it would at least add another interesting dimension to the tournament. Given the state of the Scottish team im sure it would make them very nervous about the prospect of going down. Adds some edge to the games at the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

There's no point bringing in relegation because there's no one to promote.

(Georgia are significantly worse than Italy)

True but if they could get a decent second “tier” with Romania and Georgia heading it up then bring South Africa into the 6 nations, or even 5, and possibly get a “clean” Russian side it could be done.

The problem is that it would take years to sort out. Plus, no one takes the non-6 nations teams seriously. Look at the farce, and corruption, with the last World Cup qualifiers. Spain, Germany, Portugal, and Belgium are decades off “competing” with Italy.

Would it help Italy to be demoted and get the chance to start winning some games at the lower level?
    I can't imagine endless loses in this tournament is doing them any good.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Would it help Italy to be demoted and get the chance to start winning some games at the lower level?

Who gets promoted?
    Or are you suggesting only a 5 team competition?
    If so money will and always will be the issue.

• Advertisement

OldRio wrote: »
    Who gets promoted?
    Or are you suggesting only a 5 team competion?
    If so money will and always will be the issue.

I hadn't thought it out that far to be honest.
    Just thinking of Italy's endless losing streak and what that must do for morale.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Not really. If Italy are kicked out of the 6 Nations they'll lose out on sponsorship money as well as revenue from the TV package and attendances etc. That combined with playing a much lower standard of rugby would be a huge blow and would probably start to filter down to the club teams too.

The loss of revenue would destroy them and the public would lose interest pretty quickly.

The IRFU missed out on the gate receipt money when Scotland and Wales refused to play over here in 72. Had England, and France, not turned up in 73 it would have had serious financial repercussions.

I know things are different now but if it happened again even missing one, or two, tournaments would equally as devastating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Not really. If Italy are kicked out of the 6 Nations they'll lose out on sponsorship money as well as revenue from the TV package and attendances etc. That combined with playing a much lower standard of rugby would be a huge blow and would probably start to filter down to the club teams too.

It would also make it almost certain that any half decent player they had would play outside Italy. Lowering the standard even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

But surely this is part of the problem...the attitude suggesting there is no point?

Improve the second tier. Put money into it and help it grow. Plenty of lower tier competitions have lesser team who when promoted make a good stab at staying up and there is no reason why such a format could not work in the 6N.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I hadn't thought it out that far to be honest.
    Just thinking of Italy's endless losing streak and what that must do for morale.

It must be tough on the players. I imagine they are all extremely competitive and proud and losing so often must hurt. Sergio Parisse was a fantastic player but he lost over 100 test matches. 100 games!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    It must be tough on the players. I imagine they are all extremely competitive and proud and losing so often must hurt. Sergio Parisse was a fantastic player but he lost over 100 test matches. 100 games!!
    I think it was Shane Horgan who said that the big problem for Italy (and Scotland) is that they have only two professional teams feeding into the national squad. He has a point.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I think it was Shane Horgan who said that the big problem for Italy (and Scotland) is that they have only two professional teams feeding into the national squad. He has a point.

Are Wales not similar in that they only have scarlets, ospreys and the blues?

Stheno wrote: »
    Are Wales not similar in that they only have scarlets, ospreys and the blues?

Everyone forgets about the Dragons.

Scotland would be a better comparison, but they’re as poor as Italy these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

TCM wrote: »
    No not Schmidt just a poor rugby team. Irl has never gotten past 8th place in a 9 team "world cup" tournament. So what's the excuse for all the other failures.

Ireland have failed to crack top 4, so how have they never gotten past 8th place? So everyone from 4-8 is the exact same?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Another frustrating afternoon following on from two weeks ago ..... just as then we hand the opponent 7 points immediately after getting back into it.

A very eventful game played out in front of an incredible atmosphere ...... one that no other rugby ground in the world can generate.

Loads of talking points .... affecting both sides ..... overall I think France benefitted more than Wales .... but that's sport ..... we've had them in the past.

In general don't think we were bad ..... granted we made some very poor decisions during the game ...... but we were still in there at the death. Some referees may even have called the penalty at the end the other way for not releasing the tackled player ......

Onwards and upwards .... Twickers next ..... I reckon well give them a good game ....... loads of comments here about the death of Welsh rugby post WG ..... I don't see it that way .... there are plenty of good youngsters coming through. As Mark Twain said rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated .....

Well done France ..... not easy to beat us in Cardiff .... deserved win ....

I think it's shocking it's not on RTE. Also is there not an interest conflict with Farrell snr a d jr??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I think it's shocking it's not on RTE. Also is there not an interest conflict with Farrell snr a d jr??

It’s on tv3, no no conflict

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

alta stare wrote: »
    But surely this is part of the problem...the attitude suggesting there is no point?

Improve the second tier. Put money into it and help it grow. Plenty of lower tier competitions have lesser team who when promoted make a good stab at staying up and there is no reason why such a format could not work in the 6N.
    next tier of sides fo need more games against best world wide. Promotion relegation shouldn't happen yet but all sides need to play Georgia, Romania, Russia etc more often. Even travel to these countries to play sometimes. Problem with promotion and relegation is that 6nations is so vital for unions income and without it a lot of unions would be fecked.
    rte couldnt outbid the others. The game is still on free to air.
    No conflict with Farrell. No issue at all.

Murray and Sexton not having good days!

• Advertisement
Advertisement