Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

phone signal poor even with wifi calling enabled?

• 18-12-2019 7:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

signed up to eir contract yesterday, came home, set phone up, enabled wifi calling, however, on calls, still sounds like it would if I had patchy ' mobile ' coverage. I have a number in the process of porting over, and just wondering, could this be causing an issue? No way I can put up with this for 24 months, no point in having unlimited data, calls, etc, if you can't use them? any help/advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

afterglow wrote: »
    signed up to eir contract yesterday, came home, set phone up, enabled wifi calling, however, on calls, still sounds like it would if I had patchy ' mobile ' coverage. I have a number in the process of porting over, and just wondering, could this be causing an issue? No way I can put up with this for 24 months, no point in having unlimited data, calls, etc, if you can't use them? any help/advice appreciated

WiFi calling needs strong WiFi with good uncongested up and dowlink capacity. When it works it is great, but it is quite unforgiving if your WiGi is poor. Do you have good eir fibre Broadband or are you getting your broadband from an inferior technology such as wireless?

Porting would have nothing to do with it. WiFi calling will work with any bill-pay number on eir, whether ported or not. What handset are you using? Some handsets may be better than others at implementing WiFi calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭afterglow

WiFi calling needs strong WiFi with good uncongested up and dowlink capacity. When it works it is great, but it is quite unforgiving if your WiGi is poor. Do you have good eir fibre Broadband or are you getting your broadband from an inferior technology such as wireless?

Porting would have nothing to do with it. WiFi calling will work with any bill-pay number on eir, whether ported or not. What handset are you using? Some handsets may be better than others at implementing WiFi calling.

Hi
    thx for the response
    the wifi is virgin media. The phone is iphone 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

afterglow wrote: »
    Hi
    thx for the response
    the wifi is virgin media. The phone is iphone 8.

iPhone 8 should be fine - I doubt the phone is your problem. Have you tried it on any other WiFi? How close are you to the WiFi router when you arr experiencing problems? Are the problems at peak evening hours, or throughout the day? The VM router has a reputation for poor range. If you are too far from it, your WiFi may not be strong enough for calling. If you are using WiFi extenders, the phone will not automatically switch to them - you need a mesh system to ensure automatic switching. If is mainly an evening problem, it could indicate congestion on the local VM network. Worth trying in a different house with other Broadband to rule out your broadband as the source of the issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭afterglow

iPhone 8 should be fine - I doubt the phone is your problem. Have you tried it on any other WiFi? How close are you to the WiFi router when you arr experiencing problems? Are the problems at peak evening hours, or throughout the day? The VM router has a reputation for poor range. If you are too far from it, your WiFi may not be strong enough for calling. If you are using WiFi extenders, the phone will not automatically switch to them - you need a mesh system to ensure automatic switching. If is mainly an evening problem, it could indicate congestion on the local VM network. Worth trying in a different house with other Broadband to rule out your broadband as the source of the issues.

hi again
    Firstly, I didn't know this, re virgin, you learn something new every day..... :)
    honestly, the amount of ' calls ' I make, are minimal, most things are done through whatsapp, fb messenger, i-message facetime,
    If its really a problem I can turn wifi off for the times when I really need to make a call. But I should be ok
    Thank you so much, you've been really helpful' its appreciated

Advertisement