Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish political parties - Election 2020

Options
  • 18-12-2019 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

With election 2020 looming can you help me identify which political party is closest to my belief system below?
    It seems we have a different shades of the same party across the board.
    What are the political parties positions on below issues?

Against minimum alcohol pricing.
    Against abuse of ‘compensation culture, insurance gouging.
    Against Hate speech legislation, restrictions on freedom of speech
    Against ‘Dole culture’ , rewarding + incentivising people
    Against waste of public resources
    Against pandering to RTE - more public funding, Against TV licence in general.
    Against pandering to Pavee point, traveler culture.

In favour of infrastructure projects that will long term help country.
    In favour of increased funding to Gardai, increased prison spaces, tougher sentencing.
    In favour of releasing church grip on irish institutions – health service, schools.
    In favour of ‘’making work pay’’, supports for working families - childcare etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭TwoMonthsOff

The National Party

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

The National Party

Are they anti immegration party ?

It might sound like i am right wing but i have no problem with immigration, liberal on many social issues, gay marriage / abortion etc, but would be be against a lot of the nanny state / pc nonsence this govt seems hell bent on introducing.

Is there a centre party where they are not anti immigration but tough on internal social issues and encourage ersonal freedoms ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,009 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The national party are a bunch of irexit supporting women hating morons.

I've a similar belief system to you, OP, right wing fiscally but socially liberal, and pro work.
    In the absence of anything better, I'm a FG voter awaiting something further to the right

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Are you seriously asking this question, OP, or just letting off steam? Surely someone capable of drawing up an articulate manifesto like your post would be able to visit this page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_political_parties_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland and figuring out which of the parties is closest to, or least far from, your ideal.

I suspect most people with broadly similar beliefs would, like ELM327, regard FG as the best of a bad lot at present.

Are you seriously asking this question, OP, or just letting off steam? Surely someone capable of drawing up an articulate manifesto like your post would be able to visit this page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_political_parties_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland and figuring out which of the parties is closest to, or least far from, your ideal.

I suspect most people with broadly similar beliefs would, like ELM327, regard FG as the best of a bad lot at present.

Genuine question
    If FG are closest to my points above then i am in trouble.
    I find it hard to separate the parties on these issues, find information on what their policies are.
    Is there no centre party in Ireland ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

carq wrote: »
    With election 2020 looming can you help me identify which political party is closest to my belief system below?
    It seems we have a different shades of the same party across the board.
    What are the political parties positions on below issues?

Against minimum alcohol pricing.
    Against abuse of ‘compensation culture, insurance gouging.
    Against Hate speech legislation, restrictions on freedom of speech
    Against ‘Dole culture’ , rewarding + incentivising people
    Against waste of public resources
    Against pandering to RTE - more public funding, Against TV licence in general.
    Against pandering to Pavee point, traveler culture.

In favour of infrastructure projects that will long term help country.
    In favour of increased funding to Gardai, increased prison spaces, tougher sentencing.
    In favour of releasing church grip on irish institutions – health service, schools.
    In favour of ‘’making work pay’’, supports for working families - childcare etc.

thats all a bit right of centre , sadly theres literally nobody to represent you, im in the same boat here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's very strange. In the UK Elections, at least parties were coming out with manifestos.
    Opposing parties to FG aren't going to come out and say things that they'll actually do, do they ever do that in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭mikemac2

It's very strange. In the UK Elections, at least parties were coming out with manifestos.
    Opposing parties to FG aren't going to come out and say things that they'll actually do, do they ever do that in Ireland?

Every Irish party has a manifesto before elections and they try to cost it all

You will find these available to read and download on their websites

Seriously it’s not hidden away, they want people to read them

Same is also done each year with their alternative budgets.

If that is what you want it’s already available

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Every Irish party has a manifesto before elections and they try to cost it all

You will find these available to read and download on their websites

Seriously it’s not hidden away, they want people to read them

Same is also done each year with their alternative budgets.

If that is what you want it’s already available

I have never been living in Ireland of voting age during a GE, so the next one will be my first. I may be wrong but they don't seem to drive home the main points of what they'll do if they get in power, actual tangible points like we'll build a metro, we'll build a new high rise quarter of apartments for workers, we'll build segregated bike lanes etc. etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,998 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Fine Gael promised a lot of what you're asking for last time round. Don't think they've delivered on most of it though.

I have never been living in Ireland of voting age during a GE, so the next one will be my first. I may be wrong but they don't seem to drive home the main points of what they'll do if they get in power, actual tangible points like we'll build a metro, we'll build a new high rise quarter of apartments for workers, we'll build segregated bike lanes etc. etc.

Maybe they've learned not to after Labour made a litany of such specific commitments ahead of the 2011 election and, after it got into government, felt obliged to renege on most/all of them.

Maybe they've learned not to after Labour made a litany of such specific commitments ahead of the 2011 election and, after it got into government, felt obliged to renege on most/all of them.

So how are you supposed to know who to vote for?

Loits of strange questions in that quiz. none really dealing with what i mentioned in OP.

Results

FG - 82%
    FF - 79%
    SF - 78%
    Green - 75%
    SD - 71%
    Labour - 69%

The fact that there is 4% difference between the top 3 parties says it all i suppose

Well how much detail do you need? Surely you have a general idea where they stand ideologically?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

but that is the key issue

unless the party has a majority it must agree a programme with coalition partners (or in the current case with a number of partners as well as an agreement with the main opposition party)

Unless it has a majority it simply cannot just bring in its own policies

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

ELM327 wrote: »
    The national party are a bunch of irexit supporting women hating morons.

I've a similar belief system to you, OP, right wing fiscally but socially liberal, and pro work.
    In the absence of anything better, I'm a FG voter awaiting something further to the right

The National Party are not in favour of Ireland leaving the Eu, you might be mixing them up with the Irish Freedom Party.

They have plenty of Women members too.

here is an example

https://www.finegael.ie/our-policies/

all parties have similar and will have more literature nearer election

carq wrote: »
    Loits of strange questions in that quiz. none really dealing with what i mentioned in OP.

I would have said it was impossible to be both 82% FG and 78% SF to be honest

not sure how you could do that

• Advertisement

The National Party are not in favour of Ireland leaving the Eu, you might be mixing them up with the Irish Freedom Party.

Ah sorry, yes they arent the irexit loons, they are the anti capitalist loons.
    And still anti women as they are anti choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Discounting the usual loopers, and you know who they are, I'd say the best the OP could do at the moment around here is FG.

Riskymove wrote: »
    but that is the key issue

unless the party has a majority it must agree a programme with coalition partners (or in the current case with a number of partners as well as an agreement with the main opposition party)

Unless it has a majority it simply cannot just bring in its own policies

Parties shouldn't make red-line commitments on policy then.

If Gilmore had said Labour will 'resist Fine Gael plans to cut child benefit' or somesuch people who have got the message. By saying emphatically that Labour would 'not agree' to further cuts in child benefit and the going and agreeing to them they were treating their voters with contempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Yeah plenty women are anti women though.

The National Party are plain old racist God Bothers whose "leader" is a Cosplay Neo Nazi Wannabe.

Little Justin. Bless is bigoted little socks.

Do you know how many candidates they are running?

Parties shouldn't make red-line commitments on policy then.

If Gilmore had said Labour will 'resist Fine Gael plans to cut child benefit' or somesuch people who have got the message. By saying emphatically that Labour would 'not agree' to further cuts in child benefit and the going and agreeing to them they were treating their voters with contempt.

certainly but that example is a bit different to what I was talking about in terms of manifestos

I still think they will all produce manifestos but they may well learn from last minute redlines like that and student fees etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Boggles wrote: »
    Yeah plenty women are anti women though.

The National Party are plain old racist God Bothers whose "leader" is a Cosplay Neo Nazi Wannabe.

Little Justin. Bless is bigoted little socks.

Do you know how many candidates they are running?

Are you just having a laugh or is there credence to this? I've been hearing more about this party the last while but haven't done any research on them yet. Is he a "nazi" like everyone these days is a nazi or is he genuinely a racist ?

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Are you just having a laugh or is there credence to this? I've been hearing more about this party the last while but haven't done any research on them yet. Is he a "nazi" like everyone these days is a nazi or is he genuinely a racist ?

https://www.thejournal.ie/justin-barrett-national-party-3089289-Nov2016/

"Barrett also admitted attending rallies held by Nazi-sympathiser group the NDP and Italian fascist organisation Forza Nuova."

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

WrenBoy wrote: »

Where have you been hearing about them out of interest?

The last I heard on here by a member is they have to meet in secret.

they have a website you know with articles and their policies etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

I saw chatter on twitter about them in relation to the DP centres a while ago and had youtube suggest videos of speeches they gave when I was searching/watching politicians discussing the immigration crisis and brexit. I'd never heard of them before so I said I'd look into them, went out of my head until I saw them mentioned here.

Advertisement