Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish political parties - Election 2020

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Bitchute the go to site of what could be politely called basement dwellers, and the home of complete c^nts as most would describe the three people in your post.

Charming, tolerant language.

Thanks but you forget accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

And true.

Bitchute is fast becoming the goto site for extreme hateful fascist scum.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

inceltube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I am a left/right of the center voter for a great many a year. I don't at all think far left or far right policies can work in Ireland.
    Populism is the road many an insecure type will follow and become when the fear too much and understand too little. I voted FG last time out and the time before that but if it goes any further to the right I might look again at FF/Lab

Ps, I forgot to add the angry voter... there is quite a lot of anger in the country nowadays and they tend to vote accordingly.

Dan.

• Advertisement

I am a left/right of the center voter for a great many a year. I don't at all think far left or far right policies can work in Ireland.
    Populism is the road many an insecure type will follow and become when the fear too much and understand too little. I voted FG last time out and the time before that but if it goes any further to the right I might look again at FF/Lab

Ps, I forgot to add the angry voter... there is quite a lot of anger in the country nowadays and they tend to vote accordingly.

You really think theres a difference between FF and FG?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,009 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You really think theres a difference between FF and FG?
    Well, the first letter is clearly the same, but F and G are different.
    It's not difficult to understand.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Well, the first letter is clearly the same, but F and G are different.
    It's not difficult to understand.

Can you outline the major differences today between Fianna Fail and Fianna Gael?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Can you outline the major differences today between Fianna Fail and Fianna Gael?

Fianna Fail will take a brown envelope from anyone, Fine Gael are loyal to Denis O'Brien.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Fianna Fail will take a brown envelope from anyone, Fine Gael are loyal to Denis O'Brien.

Fine Gael hate Denis O'Brien because he won't pay tax, and are just as enthusiastic brown-envelope merchants as their counterparts in FF, but they have the common courtesy to be slightly embarrassed about it.

In Elder Days, FF policy was of economic self-sufficiency and opposition to the treaty of 1921 that imposed Partition, but those positions haven't been realistic for decades, and these days FF and FG are two very similar centre-Right "Big Tent" parties. Of course FG also had the Blueshirts, something like the old Sturmabteilung in Germany in the '20s. :D

• Advertisement

I think its clear at this stage that both are prostitutes to Big Capital/Big business.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

You think FG is veering to the right ?

carq wrote: »
    FG is fiscally right and socially left
    FF is less fiscally right than FG and socially right

Do you know who this is:

CDoCZzQWgActMz1.jpg

FG is fiscally right and socially left
    FF is less fiscally right than FG and socially right

On which issues would you regard Fianna Fail as socially to the right?

Social issues.
    Well, lets see, the anti-women's health "old white men" photo comes to mind.

Social issues.
    Well, lets see, the anti-women's health "old white men" photo comes to mind.

Well what were the biggest issues of our day in this regard.
    Fianna Fail (majority of the party) are Pro Abortion, Pro LGBT, Pro SSM, Pro immigration.

FF were traditionally close to the Catholic Church - de Valera, John Charles McQuaid, et al - whereas the average FG type is likely to be that little bit more well-to-do, possibly a landowner and/or Church of Ireland type, both of whom have a natural, healthy tendency to keep clergy of all hues where they should be, i.e. outside the gate.

jimgoose wrote: »
    FF were traditionally close to the Catholic Church - de Valera, John Charles McQuaid, et al - whereas the average FG type is likely to be that little bit more well-to-do, possibly a landowner and/or Church of Ireland type, both of whom have a natural, healthy tendency to keep clergy of all hues where they should be, i.e. outside the gate.

That was then, in the now, Fianna Fail are as socially liberal as Fianna Gael..there's no difference between them whatsoever.
    The days of parties being close to the church are long gone.

The grass roots may have superficial differences but the parties themselves are practically indistinguishable from each other.

Well what were the biggest issues of our day in this regard.
    Fianna Fail (majority of the party) are Pro Abortion, Pro LGBT, Pro SSM, Pro immigration.
    No

• Advertisement

That was then, in the now, Fianna Fail are as socially liberal as Fianna Gael..there's no difference between them whatsoever.
    The days of parties being close to the church are long gone.

The grass roots may have superficial differences but the parties themselves are practically indistinguishable from each other.

Oh yes, agreed - I speak in the historical context, for background.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Fianna Fail (majority of the party) are Pro Abortion

Last year Michael Martin went against his own party members by supporting the Yes vote on the 8th amendment. A huge number of them were subsequently involved in a photo shoot at Leinster House calling for a No vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

With election 2020 looming can you help me identify which political party is closest to my belief system below?
    It seems we have a different shades of the same party across the board.
    What are the political parties positions on below issues?

Against minimum alcohol pricing.
    Against abuse of ‘compensation culture, insurance gouging.
    Against Hate speech legislation, restrictions on freedom of speech
    Against ‘Dole culture’ , rewarding + incentivising people
    Against waste of public resources
    Against pandering to RTE - more public funding, Against TV licence in general.
    Against pandering to Pavee point, traveler culture.

In favour of infrastructure projects that will long term help country.
    In favour of increased funding to Gardai, increased prison spaces, tougher sentencing.
    In favour of releasing church grip on irish institutions – health service, schools.
    In favour of ‘’making work pay’’, supports for working families - childcare etc.

Renua. (if they could get their act together)
    They'd be anti-abortion but I think they'd tick most of those boxes.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Last year Michael Martin went against his own party members by supporting the Yes vote on the 8th amendment. A huge number of them were subsequently involved in a photo shoot at Leinster House calling for a No vote.

But surely it is more relevant that when the abortion legislation came before the Dail for the final time, the great majority of FF TDs voted in favour, signalling they accepted the verdict of the Irish people on the issue. I think it would be verging on paranoia to fear that FF in government would in any way seek to 'roll back the clock' on abortion, when they have no record of doing such a thing on other social issues.

But surely it is more relevant that when the abortion legislation came before the Dail for the final time, the great majority of FF TDs voted in favour, signalling they accepted the verdict of the Irish people on the issue. I think it would be verging on paranoia to fear that FF in government would in any way seek to 'roll back the clock' on abortion, when they have no record of doing such a thing on other social issues.

Two voted against and seven abstained If I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Timely bump given todays announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭TwoMonthsOff

The National Party are not in favour of Ireland leaving the Eu, you might be mixing them up with the Irish Freedom Party.

They have plenty of Women members too.

And 4 of the 11 candidates running are women.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Underground

Put simply, no one party is interested in championing people who work hard, as Leo so infamously put it, the people "who get up early in the morning".

The loudest and laziest are pandered to, there must be about ten left leaning parties at this stage, most of them having splintered from each other at some stage in the past.Pensioners as the largest and most engaged voting bloc are also heavily pandered to, this is the case in pretty much every developed western country.

There are a scattering of good TD's in FG, FF, independents and even SF have one or two who I like. As parties though, none for me at all.

Advertisement