Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday with 6 y/o kid in Abu Dhabi or Dubai

Options
  • 18-12-2019 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭

Hi,

You advice is highly appreciated! I am thinking about a week/10 day holiday somewhere warm in February. My 6 year old likes water parks, playing on a beach and eating at McDonalds.

It seems like Abu Dhabi / Dubai would be a good choice for these requirements. Any experiences holidaying there with kids? Any recommendations for locations, things to look out for?

The budget is €1500-2000. Is it reasonable?

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

McDonalds? why just go for the culture?

florida would be the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭victor8600

why just go for the culture?

Thank you for your answer. Have you ever been to UAE? Any cultural sights that could be of interest to a 6 year old that you would recommend?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

victor8600 wrote: »
    Hi,

You advice is highly appreciated! I am thinking about a week/10 day holiday somewhere warm in February. My 6 year old likes water parks, playing on a beach and eating at McDonalds.

It seems like Abu Dhabi / Dubai would be a good choice for these requirements. Any experiences holidaying there with kids? Any recommendations for locations, things to look out for?

Thank you!

Abu Dhabi for me. Better bang for your buck with regards hotels too i find especially around the Yas island region. Maybe look to go all inclusive? That would cater for the likes of your little one with ice creams and burgers and nuggets and the likes

Temperature will be perfect in February, around 26 or 27. Pretty much 0% chance of rain

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Thank you for your answer. Have you ever been to UAE? Any cultural sights that could be of interest to a 6 year old that you would recommend?

Yes, I've been there a few times. I don't think it would make a good holiday for a 6 year old.

I certainly wouldn't be going somewhere based on eating in mcdonalds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Theres loads for kids to do in dubai . We've been twice. We went on the first leg of our honeymoon, then the following year we went again with our daughter who was 9 at the time.

I would definitely go back again, we stayed in the hilton jumeirah beach. It's on the beach, next to a splash park, and one of those inflatable aqua parks just by the hotel too. Loads of family friendly restaurants and fast food places just outside on the walk. Close to the marina, and a cheap taxi journey to the mall and Lego land. We went in june and august, heat pretty unbearable in August, February should be much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Your money will go further in Abu Dhabi. Looks at the corniche for hotels near the beach. There is a waterpark near the grand prix circuit. Can't comment on the availability of McDonalds, but the shopping centers all had large food courts with brands you would recognise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Op if you want beach, water parks and McD the Canaries would do the same job and probably cheaper and half the flying time with a 6 year old.

We were in Florida a few years ago and met a guy who was there with his wife and little girl - all the little girl wanted was to be in the pool - wasn't interested in the parks etc. Could have saved himself a fortune by going to Spain!

Dovies wrote: »
    Op if you want beach, water parks and McD the Canaries would do the same job and probably cheaper and half the flying time with a 6 year old...

Thank you, Canaries are definitely more convenient. In my experience though, the water in the ocean around Canaries in February is too cool for a kid to splash around for more than 1/2 hour.
    I certainly wouldn't be going somewhere based on eating in mcdonalds

Of course, if I take you on holidays, we'd be eating the authentic local food and going for long hikes in the dunes with the sun and stars as our compass.
    I don't think it would make a good holiday for a 6 year old.

Why not? Please share your concerns.
    Abu Dhabi for me. Better bang for your buck with regards hotels too i find especially around the Yas island region. Maybe look to go all inclusive? That would cater for the likes of your little one with ice creams and burgers and nuggets and the likes.
    michellie wrote: »
    I would definitely go back again, we stayed in the hilton jumeirah beach. It's on the beach, next to a splash park, and one of those inflatable aqua parks just by the hotel too.

Thank you, this is very helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Dovies wrote: »
    Op if you want beach, water parks and McD the Canaries would do the same job and probably cheaper and half the flying time with a 6 year old.

One thing to bear in mind is that although an Abu Dhabi flight might be longer than a Canaries one, the planes going to the Canaries wouldn't typically have IFE screens, so you'd have to bring your own entertainment/distractions.

We were in Australia a year ago and our 6-year-old (as he was at the time) was in his element because the usual screen-time restrictions were lifted for the duration of the flight! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,956 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Sounds great, you could get him some Flintstones gear, although they don't sell that in Dubai, but Abu Dhabi Do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,851 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Hi! I live in Abu Dhabi

If you book in to a hotel on YAS Island you will get access to Yas Waterworld, Ferrari World and Warner Brothers. I'm not sure if it's discounted or free. The Waterworld will be fairly quiet in February as it's too cool for those of us who have acclimatised to the heat. You'll only get tourists on holidays!

There is now the Clymb climbing wall that caters for children in Yas Mall.

You'd be located very close to the motorway to Dubai where you can do the rides at Motiongate or go to the Dubai Parks and Resorts

Of course, you should visit the Grand Mosque which is only 20 minutes drive from Yas.

There is Yas beach, admittedly, I have never been to.

You can do a cycle around the F1 track at Yas Marina Circuit.

You'll be close to the motorway to the top of the city to Saadiyat which has beautiful beaches and it's worth doing a brunch and pool access at Saadiyat Beach Club. Your child should be occupied enough with the pool.

I also forgot you could go to the family beach on the Corniche. It has a pretty good playground for children.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Am I the only one seeing this?
    Hi,

Thank you!

2k max for a week in dubai incl hotels and flights? Is it really doable?

You're welcome, I will never forget walking into the water at the beach there. It was like getting into a warm bath.

What an experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,493 ✭✭✭✭ted1

fricatus wrote: »
    One thing to bear in mind is that although an Abu Dhabi flight might be longer than a Canaries one, the planes going to the Canaries wouldn't typically have IFE screens, so you'd have to bring your own entertainment/distractions.

We were in Australia a year ago and our 6-year-old (as he was at the time) was in his element because the usual screen-time restrictions were lifted for the duration of the flight! :D

You could the kid a top end tablet with the money you’d save in their flight!!!

But being deadly serious , you can download from Netflix and load the tablet up with kids programs.

I fly to Abu Dhabi at least once a month and it’s not a flight I’d like to bring my kids on, the return is grand because it’s a night flight but leaving Dublin in the morning they’ll be awake and bored for most of it.

Mike3549 wrote: »
    Am I the only one seeing this?

2k max for a week in dubai incl hotels and flights? Is it really doable?

I didn't see that.

2k for 3 people? Not a chance.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    You can do a cycle around the F1 track at Yas Marina Circuit.

OK, Abu Dhabi it is! :D

ted1 wrote: »
    You could the kid a top end tablet with the money you’d save in their flight!!!

Yes of course you're right - I suppose the point is that it's one more thing to consider if it's a close-run decision. All the same, don't underestimate the cost of flights to the Canaries. I did happen to look them up for New Year's a few weeks back and my eyes were watering! :eek:

ted1 wrote: »
    But being deadly serious , you can download from Netflix and load the tablet up with kids programs.

That's an excellent suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,898 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Was in Dubai June for honeymoon. Won't be back various reasons. But for me it's somewhere to see once and not a holiday destination tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,680 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I didn't see that.

2k for 3 people? Not a chance.

Don't know about that.

Click and Go have Holiday Inn Express in Dubai for 7 nights from 10 Feb for €2,079, €464 extra for full board, flights with Turkish Airlines.

Hilton Dubai Creek is another 2-300 extra.

• Advertisement

Update: for convenience, we went with Emirates (€700 pp) and got a hotel (€1700 for 8 nights). But as the previous poster said, we could have saved a lot with slightly less convenient flights and a different accommodation. There are apartment hotels just off the Jumeirah beach that are €1000 a week and which can be used by a whole family.

But in general, things are expensive in Dubai, so it would be difficult to not overspend.

Update: for convenience, we went with Emirates (€700 pp) and got a hotel (€1700 for 8 nights). But as the previous poster said, we could have saved a lot with slightly less convenient flights and a different accommodation. There are apartment hotels just off the Jumeirah beach that are €1000 a week and which can be used by a whole family.

But in general, things are expensive in Dubai, so it would be difficult to not overspend.

Excellent, what hotel did you go for?

michellie wrote: »
    Excellent, what hotel did you go for?

Jebel Ali Resort
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/fKee5wqyHXcBoh2e9

Hotel itself is fine and it has 800 m of a private beach. But it's on the outskirts of the city, so you can't just nip out to a shop or stroll along Dubai streets. There is a free bus few times a day to the city centre.

You can get to Dubai in an hour from Abu Dhabi, plenty of transport. Nice beaches in Abu Dhabi. Very warm water, very hot sun, you would need to bring tons and tons of factor 50 water resistant sun protection, and be prepared to spend plenty of time’s in the air-conditioned indoors. There are some interesting things for kiddies, I know as a child I would have been fascinated with viewing the fish through glass from various locations. It is a very safe place overall, children are valued, you can drink the tap water etc. There are tons of ultra clean toilet & washing facilities, so it’s easy for parents. Plenty of places for refreshments.

Overall, though, it’s probably more of an adult’s playground. Eg, dune bashing jeep rides, balloon flights, seaplane flights, parachuting over the beach, doing the shops; but is is a nice safe place to bring the family. I dropped my wallet there, and had it returned to me with all its contents an hour later.

I would absolutely not be drinking the tap water here

Any cultural sights that could be of interest to a 6 year old

Are there any cultural sights that are of interest to a 6 year old anywhere? ??
    They are 6! A holiday with a pool, slides etc would be grand, why would a 6 year old need cultural sights?
    And they won't find them in Dubai anyway, there are very few cultural interests for adults there...... Unless their cultural interests involves shopping in high end shopping centres!

bubblypop wrote: »
    Are there any cultural sights that are of interest to a 6 year old anywhere? ??
    They are 6! A holiday with a pool, slides etc would be grand, why would a 6 year old need cultural sights?
    And they won't find them in Dubai anyway, there are very few cultural interests for adults there...... Unless their cultural interests involves shopping in high end shopping centres!

Thank you for your insightful input.

Some more observations of Dubai:
    - You can buy a 10gb SIM with Virgin media for 189 dirhams (€45) in the arrival area of T3 of the Dubai airport . Activated within 30 minutes, good 4g
    - Roblox is banned in UAE
    - Water in the ocean is pleasant, but not warm right now

Advertisement