Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a 32 rear sprocked on 105 10-speed?

Options
  • 18-12-2019 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

I want to get a 32 rear sprocket at least on a 105 ten-speed setup. I believe an MTB casette and deraileur are my best bet to work well.
    I don't know anything about that stuff; can someone tell me what I need (105 quality approx) or, better still, if you have them to sell second-hand in good condition.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There's a Tiagra cassette that's 11-32 I think. And a 4601 5701 medium cage rear derailleur would work too. Or Ultegra 6701 if feeling like spending.

I had a similar set up, then went to a 34 at the back when I got a sub compact chainset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Is getting derailleur hanger extender a cheaper way of going about this or are they unreliable?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

I had a 11/36 mtb cassette on my cx bike last year. Medium cage 10 speed ultegra, no issues.

Edit, I was running 1x so the derailleur only had to deal with a 38 chairing to 11/36. Not sure a M cage could do 50/34 to 11/36 too much slack to take up id guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

TGD wrote: »
    I want to get a 32 rear sprocket at least on a 105 ten-speed setup. I believe an MTB casette and deraileur are my best bet to work well.
    I don't know anything about that stuff; can someone tell me what I need (105 quality approx) or, better still, if you have them to sell second-hand in good condition.

A nine speed mtb rear deraileur will work perfectly with your 10 speed 105.

I have a 34 sprocket as lowest gear with 42/34 up front on a cx bike.

Works very well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

tuxy wrote: »
    Is getting derailleur hanger extender a cheaper way of going about this or are they unreliable?

There are two issues with going for larger sprockets. The first is that a road derailleur wont travel sufficiently low enough below the cassette and will crash into the side of the largest sprockets. This is what the extender does - it re-positions the derailleur lower so it won't clash when moving across.

The other issue is that typically, the chain needs to be longer for such a cassette and the difference in length between shortest (small chainring, small sprockets) and longest (large chainring large sprockets) may be greater than in a road set-up. The swing arm in the derailleur takes up the slack but only has a certain capacity. Once that's exceeded, an hanger extender will do nothing to improve this. You'd need to go for a medium / long cage road mech or a MTB mech in that case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭crosswords

I am running a 34 tooth cassette on a 10 speed tiagra 4700 medium cage derailleur.

No extenders. No problems.

My front ring is a 46 and I'm using 114 links on the chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I'm running 11-32 10spd cassette with an Ultegra long cage rear mech. Zero issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

TGD wrote: »

Really only suitable for the really steep stuff. My bike came with a 11/32 (compact front) and I never used it even on 20% plus gradients. Changed down to a 28.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

tigerboon wrote: »
    Really only suitable for the really steep stuff. My bike came with a 11/32 (compact front) and I never used it even on 20% plus gradients. Changed down to a 28.

What's suitable for you is not the same for everyone though.

I've a 48/32 with an 11-34 on the back. Happily spin away on that during the winter. Summer I go back to an 11-28, and compact

Advertisement