Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting fees

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

I think many people are missing the point. The amount of the fee isn't the issue, it's the amount of the increase and the lack of prior warning.

I daresay that if the accountant had contacted the OP and mentioned that there was an additional filing to do this year (once off, mind you) and that the fee hadn't increased for several years, so they proposed to charge an extra €100, then it gives the OP the opprtunity to (a) agree to the increase, (b) decide to find another accountant, or (c) haggle.

I think the accountant SHOULD have contacted the OP beforehand as a matter of courtesy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭D3V!L

exaisle wrote: »
    I think many people are missing the point. The amount of the fee isn't the issue, it's the amount of the increase and the lack of prior warning.

I daresay that if the accountant had contacted the OP and mentioned that there was an additional filing to do this year (once off, mind you) and that the fee hadn't increased for several years, so they proposed to charge an extra €100, then it gives the OP the opprtunity to (a) agree to the increase, (b) decide to find another accountant, or (c) haggle.

I think the accountant SHOULD have contacted the OP beforehand as a matter of courtesy.

Nail on the head, thank you.

D3V!L wrote: »
    Nail on the head, thank you.

So, if you believe that what are you going to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭D3V!L

So, if you believe that what are you going to do?

In post #20 I said I got it sorted.

I was sitting back watching how this thread got a life of its own so didn't feel like derailing your ranting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Dealing specifically with the OP, you'd have a point if he was overcharged. I think even the OP has got the message at this stage he wasn't.

It's disturbing that after all that's been said you think this is about over charging, or may not know the difference.

• Advertisement

Actually, another question. Do you think €300 was an overcharge?

Not true.

It's is true unless INFORMED why it's increased.

beauf wrote: »
    It's disturbing that after all that's been said you think this is about over charging, or may not know the difference.

You're easily disturbed. Oh, it's the Principal is it?

I've said above that IF the accountant did the work, even for the nominal amount, without informing the OP he acted poorly. That it was a nominal account is no excuse and technically the OP has a grievance. It's complicated by the likelihood that the fee was very reasonable. So, does the OP make an issue on a technicality when he is already getting a very good service. I would say no, but KBWs being what they are I'd not expect this to be a universal opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

You are not going to down tools at the €200 worth of hours mark and contact the client, that’s not how it works in the real world. You finish the job, there was obviously additional work this year.

The OP needs to pay the guy and if they believe they can find a new accountant to do the same work for less then do so, but I’m guessing the new place will quote €200 to get a client in the door then it’ll be raised next year, which means the OP will have to find another accountant and so on.

It's is true unless INFORMED why it's increased.

Are you being obtuse on purpose? He knows there was extra work completed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

I can only guess there are a few annoyed accountants here sticking up for other members of the profession as if it was any other service everyone would be in agreement that you inform the customer before doing additional work.

For the record 300 still seems cheap to me (not sure why that keeps coming up as this isn't an query on overcharging from what I can tell)

D3v!l Glad it was resolved but do you mind informing us how this was resolved?

Are you being obtuse on purpose? He knows there was extra work completed.

He's does now.

In post #20 I said I got it sorted.

I was sitting back watching how this thread got a life of its own so didn't feel like derailing your ranting.

I'm in bed with the flu, and have nothing else to amuse myself with :p

He's does now.

He knew at the time of his OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

This accountant isn't much of an accountant if that's what's being charged. Absolute clown.

I'd check what type of "accountant" this is OP, as sometimes the cheapest accountant will turn out to be the most expensive if you get me.

You should have been charged minimum 750 and that is on the basis they get a junior person to do the majority of the donkey work. Something way, way off here with what you are being charged. I'd look in to it.

He knew at the time of his OP.

Where does he say that?
    They have been my accountants for several years. They did the work this year and increased their charges without telling me by 50%.

myshirt wrote: »
    This accountant isn't much of an accountant if that's what's being charged. Absolute clown.

I'd check what type of "accountant" this is OP, as sometimes the cheapest accountant will turn out to be the most expensive if you get me.

You should have been charged minimum 750 and that is on the basis they get a junior person to do the majority of the donkey work. Something way, way off here with what you are being charged. I'd look in to it.

This crossed my mind, but as a dormant company there's little benefit in getting a more experienced accountant. Not that I can think of anyway.

Definitely get a quote with a detailed breakdown anyway. Least then you know what's been done and what hasn't.

Where does he say that?

He had discussed the fee with the accountant - if the accountant didn't mention the extra work then I'd question if he's not some 16 year old chinese slave labour administrator.

The extra beneficial ownership filing probably took up more than 50% of the accountant's time I'd imagine. There's only so far we can go along with thinking the OP's accountant is a complete idiot before we get into Hans Christian Andersen territory.

He had discussed the fee with the accountant - if the accountant didn't mention the extra work then I'd question if he's not some 16 year old chinese slave labour administrator.

The extra beneficial ownership filing probably took up more than 50% of the accountant's time I'd imagine. There's only so far we can go along with thinking the OP's accountant is a complete idiot before we get into Hans Christian Andersen territory.

He discussed the fee because he was surprised by the increase. Not that he was aware of it in advance.

You seem to have no issue with not informing people of charges in advance.

• Advertisement

He discussed the fee because he was surprised by the increase. Not that he was aware of it in advance.

You seem to have no issue with not informing people of charges in advance.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharp_practice

LOL this accountant is undertaking sharp practice. Do a bit of research, find anyone cheaper come back to us.

Yes, he was surprised by the fee, talked to the accountant, and then posted on boards.ie.

So if it's done cheap it's doesn't matter if it doesn't follow good business practice. Very professional.

Their argument is that no other client complained. ?

For context, when they argued no other client complained, was that specifically the €100 increase for the extra work for the beneficial ownership filing? Go on, tell the truth and shame the... er,

So if it's done cheap it's doesn't matter if it doesn't follow good business practice. Very professional.

I've already said the accountant should have informed the OP in advance, but I defer to someone who most likely knows more about an accountancy practice than either of us #70.

And, lets not forget, the work carried out was MANDATORY, not elective.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Dormant job. No client meeting.

Roll forward the software. No need for 750. €300+vat sounds reasonable.

I've already said the accountant should have informed the OP in advance, but I defer to someone who most likely knows more about an accountancy practice than either of us #70.

And, lets not forget, the work carried out was MANDATORY, not elective.

This is not about accountancy. This is about transparency and good business practice. But who cares about that.

But the "I'm a professional ""you wouldn't understand" and "they made me do it" have always been very convincing arguments.

This is not about accountancy. This is about transparency and good business practice. But who cares about that.

Good business practice would likely be to let the client go. Way too much effort.

Good business practice would likely be to let the client go. Way too much effort.

There's another one. Way too much effort to follow good practise. Breakdown on an invoice very unprofessional, only cowboys Ted.

There's another one. Way too much effort to follow good practise. Breakdown on an invoice very unprofessional, only cowboys Ted.

I actually agree with you. The client is too much effort to keep. If this accountant has any decent sized clients you'd hope he does a better job itemising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

It seems to me that very few people here know how much time is involved in preparing accounts, doing ct tax return, annual return to the companies office and this year only, return of beneficial ownership.

Any guesses?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement