Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club Committee

Options
  • 18-12-2019 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

I know that this is not a work issue but it involves a committee so I'm guessing the same principles apply.

I'm chairperson of a local sports club committee. In the last couple of days I've received a text message from a fellow committee member who has basically called my integrity into question by accusing me of creating falsifications on an intiative I was heading up to promote the club. He has also called me an embarrassment.

I have proof that his accusations are false. I have declined to respond to the message but I have notified the treasurer of my disgust and my intention to defend my integrity.

Can anyone advise the best way to handle this situation. Can I formally record a complaint to the club about this person??

I'd appreciate some advice as this matter really upset me today.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Baoithin66

Check if you have a club constitution -definitely all GAA clubs should have one and I expect most organisations would be the same. The GAA club constitution and the Official Guide provide details for all GAA clubs as regards dealing with such matters. If it was me I would be demanding at least an apology and if not forthcoming a suspension or removal from the committee. That's not even considering the fact that you could go the legal route. First though think of the possible impacts and see if you think the consequences are worthwhile. Good committee members are hard to come by and If it can be resolved by a simple apology and shake of hands which lets everyone retain their dignity that may be the best result.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

You could invite the person to a comity meeting specifically set up to review the allegations. And that you expect that either the person will officially withdraw them or if found against at the meeting that you will put forward a motion that they step down.

If they don’t attend I would keep carrying it over on the addenda to the next meeting until they are present to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

Thank you for the replies.

At the moment no other committee members are aware of the allegations apart from the treasurer. Will airing the matter in front of the remaining committee members make me appear to be a bit of a d*ck?

At the moment no other committee members are aware of the allegations apart from the treasurer. Will airing the matter in front of the remaining committee members make me appear to be a bit of a d*ck?

Nope.
    You want this in the open, get it sorted clarifies and put to bed firmly. Your the Chair, you can’t have clouds hanging over your reputation to run the club.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You need to be very careful with this kind of thing... if all he did was send an objection to you one other person, then there is no real publication and little you can do about it. If you then turn around and make it public, you again will have little cause for complaint, since you are the one doing the publication.

The best course is to get legal advice before you go any further.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    You could invite the person to a comity meeting specifically set up to review the allegations. And that you expect that either the person will officially withdraw them or if found against at the meeting that you will put forward a motion that they step down.

If they don’t attend I would keep carrying it over on the addenda to the next meeting until they are present to discuss.

Dumb idea, since you could well leave yourself open to legal action. Get proper legal advice before doing anything

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Dumb idea, since you could well leave yourself open to legal action. Get proper legal advice before doing anything

How ?
    The complaint was made against OP as chairperson, as chair they have the right to address this and a comity meeting is the perfect place.

Not everything in life needs a solicitor. Stick to the facts and they’re is no reason op can’t just deal with this calmly and rationally.

As for publication of the complaints, I can guarantee you this is a widely known issue. People talk and whisper and rumours spread quickly.

How ?
    The complaint was made against OP as chairperson, as chair they have the right to address this and a comity meeting is the perfect place.

Not everything in life needs a solicitor. Stick to the facts and they’re is no reason op can’t just deal with this calmly and rationally.

As for publication of the complaints, I can guarantee you this is a widely known issue. People talk and whisper and rumours spread quickly.

You clearly don't understand the law on this point, which is precisely why I advised seeking legal advice. Sticking to the facts as you suggest, based on what the OP has said, there was no complaint made against the OP, the OP states he received a text.... if he then publishes it he cannot go around claiming that the other person defamed him in any way since he was the one that published it!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Donutz

Jim2007 wrote:
    You clearly don't understand the law on this point, which is precisely why I advised seeking legal advice. Sticking to the facts as you suggest, based on what the OP has said, there was no complaint made against the OP, the OP states he received a text.... if he then publishes it he cannot go around claiming that the other person defamed him in any way since he was the one that published it!

Where did the OP claim they were defamed?

If this person made these false claims to the OP, then it's quite possible that they may have said it to other people involved in the club or may do so in the future.

Brininging it up in at a meeting is a good idea as it will be on record and will clear the OP of any wrongdoing.

Jim2007 wrote: »

Your imagining things that aren’t being discussed

If the claims are incorrect and OP wants to deal with this then it needs to be dealt with at committee level.

OP could wait until next meeting and then under AOB ask the person directly if they wish to discuss their concerns in the open in front of the committee, this is appropriate as it was his ability to be chairperson that was questioned. OP could give them a chance to discuss it themselves or they would read the texts out and open a discussion.

• Advertisement

No I'm doing what you said from the start - stick to the facts. All you have is that the OP got a text.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

If the claims are incorrect and OP wants to deal with this then it needs to be dealt with at committee level.

OP could wait until next meeting and then under AOB ask the person directly if they wish to discuss their concerns in the open in front of the committee, this is appropriate as it was his ability to be chairperson that was questioned. OP could give them a chance to discuss it themselves or they would read the texts out and open a discussion.

This is how I'd do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭chancer007

agree with last poster, at the next meeting, under AOB, ask for any issues to be brought up....only way to handle it

Advertisement