Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Insurance lapsed - No notification+ now claiming

Options
  • 18-12-2019 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Hi there

I lost my phone and rang my insurance company today. They said that my insurance policy was cancelled in May as my DD bounced and they emailed in June saying payment was due. I thought ****, my fault and hung up.

I couldn't remember receiving the email so said I would have a look. Searched my emails by keywords and the date they said the email was sent. I rang them again and they said it was definitely sent and they got no bounce notification.

I had a look online for the insurance ombudsman and it seems to be the FSPO. There website said you first have to let the company know what your complaint is and how you think they should rectify it. These are the steps from before you can make a complaint.

I emailed them on two points. First of all, I didn't receive an email. Secondly, one email should not be sufficent notification of my policy being cancelled. I believe multiple attempts should have been made to contact me to retrieve payment instead of a single solitary email when my DD bounced.

I am not denying that the DD bounced. I had little money in my account over the summer but whenever I got a notifcation of a bounced DD or overdue payments I contacted the companies directly and paid.

Anyone have any experience or advice?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Seven months later?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

You didn't notice in that time that your DD wasn't going to go through?
    In any case as you let it lapse by not keeping up payments, there's no hope that you can get around this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Most companies will resubmit a refused direct debit a week or two after the initial refusal.

Does your bank statement show any refused direct debits (and probably also the associated bank charge).

Were no direct debit requests presented since the initial refused direct debit in June?

If no payments have been made on the policy in the last six or seven months I can't see you having much joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭DonnieCorko

Thanks for the replies.

Not sure if they tried again to take payment. I presume they did but I cant check now as my bank use my phone to verify it is me trying to log in.

Regarding checking DD etc, tbh I never do. If I get notification that one didnt go through I sort it out but I wouldnt typically check my bank statement for payments going in or out unless there is something very obvious that is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

As soon as you missed your first payment you broke the contract.

After that you are splitting hairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Regarding checking DD etc, tbh I never do. If I get notification that one didnt go through I sort it out but I wouldnt typically check my bank statement for payments going in or out unless there is something very obvious that is wrong.

As an aside on this, everyone should regularly check what's going through their account. I've had instances where I had assumed that subs were only for a month and cancelled only to discover they were still going, also missing DDs where I was getting a service but not being charged.
    And stuff like switching gas suppliers only to end up paying both the old and new.

Advertisement