Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTX 1070 upgrade?

Options
  • 18-12-2019 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭

I'm currently using a GTX 1070 on a ryzen 5 3600 build.

It's grand but I'm starting to see it's limitations at 1440p ultra settings in terms of frame rates.

I'm thinking about upgrading now while I can still get a decent price for the 1070 on the second hand market.

What's the logical upgrade that will let me get at least 140 FPS 0.1% lows at 1080p for eSports titles and at least 60fps 0.1% lows at 1440p for AAA titles?

I know the obvious answer is an RTX 2080ti but id like to spend considerably less than that.

Would the 5700, 5700xt, or 2060 super be logical upgrades from what I have, or should I be looking at a 2070 Super or above?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

5700 will give you anywhere from 25% - 50%+ better performance than the 1070 depending on the title.

-edit- Forgot to link video.

Can you not lower the settings? I don't understand why people think they need to run games at Ultra.
    A 1070 is a good card for high refresh 1080p esports titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Can you not lower the settings? I don't understand why people think they need to run games at Ultra.
    A 1070 is a good card for high refresh 1080p esports titles.

I could, but I want the games to look as good as possible. I bought a high end screen for a reason.

You wouldn't even notice the difference between High and Ultra.

You wouldn't even notice the difference between High and Ultra.

Solid input. Cheers.

• Advertisement

No need to be a dick. Was giving an opinion. Good luck finding a card.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I just upgraded a GTX 1070 paired with a Ryzen 5 3600

Went with a RX 5700. I got the XFX brand which had some fiddly problems last night that I got sorted, and the general consensus is its one of the worst 3rd party cards. But I was happy to justify it by its cheaper cost and the potential noise won't bother me too much. Also the higher temps reported in reviews, well it's Ireland, don't overly need to worry about it :D

I've got tangible improvements that are real. CoD Modern Warfare went from around 90fps on the 1070 to 160fps solid with the 5700

I don't do 1440p as I've no interest in it so can't comment there, but at 1080p 144hz, this is smashing it out of the park. Should say I was pretty happy with my 1070 and wasn't feeling it was under pressure, only upgraded as I was changing out other parts and had the money for it.

I only have my new card a week, I did get good feedback from Bloodbath there on it, and so far I'm pretty happy.

I would somewhat echo the above though in terms of this fascination on Ultra, to be honest I don't ever see the difference between Ultra and High. Other then I'm getting much higher FPS going to High, and I notice no difference or "lesser" feel from my games.

I bought Total Warhammer II last night just to really test how the 5700 holds up and while its own ingame benchmark returned 90fps average for battles on Ultra, it wen't to 130fps on high, and I can't tell the difference. So it is a worthy consideration to make.

Especially when you mention e-sports titles, there is a reason you never play those games on ultra settings :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I jumped ship from a 1070 to 5700XT for your reasons OP. I wasn't satisfied dropping quality for my 1440p monitor. I did play a lot of esports titles, Apex was one of the triggers that even on low I couldnt get beyond 120fps on 1440p.

Personally very happy with the upgrade. You can still get good money for a GTX1070 so a 5700/5700XT can be upgraded for as little as 100 euro after selling the 1070.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I just upgraded a GTX 1070 paired with a Ryzen 5 3600

Went with a RX 5700. I got the XFX brand which had some fiddly problems last night that I got sorted, and the general consensus is its one of the worst 3rd party cards. But I was happy to justify it by its cheaper cost and the potential noise won't bother me too much. Also the higher temps reported in reviews, well it's Ireland, don't overly need to worry about it :D

I've got tangible improvements that are real. CoD Modern Warfare went from around 90fps on the 1070 to 160fps solid with the 5700

I don't do 1440p as I've no interest in it so can't comment there, but at 1080p 144hz, this is smashing it out of the park. Should say I was pretty happy with my 1070 and wasn't feeling it was under pressure, only upgraded as I was changing out other parts and had the money for it.

I only have my new card a week, I did get good feedback from Bloodbath there on it, and so far I'm pretty happy.

I would somewhat echo the above though in terms of this fascination on Ultra, to be honest I don't ever see the difference between Ultra and High. Other then I'm getting much higher FPS going to High, and I notice no difference or "lesser" feel from my games.

I bought Total Warhammer II last night just to really test how the 5700 holds up and while its own ingame benchmark returned 90fps average for battles on Ultra, it wen't to 130fps on high, and I can't tell the difference. So it is a worthy consideration to make.

Especially when you mention e-sports titles, there is a reason you never play those games on ultra settings :D

Went with the XFX 5700 XL DB boost for £290 on amazon.

If I get 200 for the 1070 it's a cheap upgrade.

thanks for the feedback lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Was thinking the same but with a gtx 1080, worth the effort?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I have a 1070 as well and looking for an upgrade - I think I'm gonna go with an 2070 Super or a 2080, the 2080 Ti prices being criminally insane.

I'd like to try out a Radeon again, it's been probably 10 years since I last had one, but I use a few CUDA-based tools so I'm pretty much locked in with nVidia.

The thing about gaming at the highest detail settings...I can understand it and it depends a lot on the specific games. Some are well optimized to scale without loosing too much visual fidelty - the difference between the lowest and highest setting in The Outer Worlds, for example, is minimal; Although it can be argued the game is hardly the pinnacle of graphics anyway.

Other games however...they look incredible at High/Ultra, only to seem like something out of 1999 when you drop them down to "Medium" or lower. It's almost like the devs put in no effort to keep a decent visual quality at lower details because "people can get faster cards anyway!" :rolleyes:

KilOit wrote: »
    Was thinking the same but with a gtx 1080, worth the effort?

There isn't too much difference between a "plain" 1080 and a 1070, at least not enough to justify an upgrade - especially considering people haven't realized the cryptomining fad is over AND there is a new generation of cards, still asking stupid amount of money for an old battered 1080 from 2016. I've seen a few for 400-450 on Adverts, you can get a brand new 2070 like 50 euro more.

EDIT (from the response below): I take it you're thinking about going from a 1070 to a 1080?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

1080 -> 2070 Super is like upgrading to a 1080 Ti with less VRAM.

Went with the XFX 5700 XL DB boost for £290 on amazon.

If I get 200 for the 1070 it's a cheap upgrade.

thanks for the feedback lads.

You’ll see most on adverts for 300 but I took 250 for mine as there was a good buyer ready to go so I was pretty happy in the end.

Big performance bump for like 130 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

You’ll see most on adverts for 300 but I took 250 for mine as there was a good buyer ready to go so I was pretty happy in the end.

Big performance bump for like 130 euro

Is that the list price, or the selling price? I picked one up couple of years ago for €250 (still going strong, won't be changing anytime soon).

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Is that the list price, or the selling price? I picked one up couple of years ago for €250 (still going strong, won't be changing anytime soon).

Most people list at 300. Like I said I let mine go last week for 250

Good bargain you got. Card only came out two years ago ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Most people list at 300. Like I said I let mine go last week for 250

Sorry, a year ago

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I cannot understand why anyone would even pay 250 for a 2nd hand, aged 1070! For €100 more you can get a 5700 that's not only brand new with warranty, but generally 50 percent faster and even comes with free games. Worst case scenario a GTX1660 Super brand can be had for that.

the 1070 is out about 3 and a half years? I upgraded to one for Battlfield 1 which came out in later 2016 but the card had been out a few months by that point.

Update here.

I orignally bought and returned an XFX DB Ultra 5700 which I retunrned a day later as it ran hotter than the core of the sun and sounded like a jet engine.

At the start of this month I pulled the trigger and bought a 5700 (non XT) from Amazon.de as it was at a price I felt was worth it and had a dual bios so was going to try flash it with the XT bios for ****s and giggles.

Installed new card, booted to sfemode, used DDU to remove the 1070 drivers, installed the newest radeon Adrenalin drivers and thought I was in for some solid FPS boosts.

To keep it simple I throw on CSGO to start, I know it's not GPU intensive but it should at least give me a fair bump from the 300ish fps I was getting on th 1070s.

First problem I couldn't, no matter what I tried, figure out how to get CSGO to work at 4:3 Stretched at 1280x960 resolution, which is my prefered resolution for CSGO.

So I settle for 4:3 Stretched at 1024X768 resolution as I have that option.

My fps dropped from 350 average to 160-200 max.

I decide to try at native (1440p) and get the sameish result.

I try a few more games, all similar to my previous FPS or somtimes lower.

Card is now sitting in it's box with a return lable taped to it and is going back to Amazon.de Monday.

I wanted to go all "team red" but my upgrade, whenever I make it after returning this, will be to an Nvidia GPU. Might just wait till the end of the year for the new 3000 series RTX cards though.

AMD's GPU division need to sort their drivers out, the control software is garbage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

I returned the 5700xt earlier in the year for similar reasons.
    People here thought i was making it up but my room turned into a loud hot oven after an hour of gaming, coupled with driver issues and game crashes. week later i had a RTX 2070 super and my god the user experience is ten fold, totally worth the extra money for similar performance on paper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I'm pretty much planning the same thing at this stage. Wait until the end of the year for 3000 series then return the 5700 while it's still under warranty.

Can't say I've had any performance issues though. Performance has been great. Just damn driver related black screens.

Yeah I sorted out all my issues in the end and been really happy with how things are going. But there was monsterous stress and more then once I'd had phonecalls with the shop I bought from to organise a return and cost diff payment to get an NVIDIA.

I'm in a really good place now with the build, AMD sorted out a lot of issues with some driver updates. There was definitely a driver issue causing the fans to spin at crazy speeds.

If I went back in time knowing what I know now, I'd buy an RTX 2070 Super no question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

To keep it simple I throw on CSGO to start, I know it's not GPU intensive but it should at least give me a fair bump from the 300ish fps I was getting on th 1070s.

First problem I couldn't, no matter what I tried, figure out how to get CSGO to work at 4:3 Stretched at 1280x960 resolution, which is my prefered resolution for CSGO.

So I settle for 4:3 Stretched at 1024X768 resolution as I have that option.

My fps dropped from 350 average to 160-200 max.

A game running on essentially a 16 year old engine at an incredibly niche, but similarly old school, resolution is certainly an unusual way to test a piece of new tech in 2020 :confused:

2ndcoming wrote: »
    A game running on essentially a 16 year old engine at an incredibly niche, but similarly old school, resolution is certainly an unusual way to test a piece of new tech in 2020 :confused:

Making sure the upgrade I want is compatible with the games I play most and gives at least acceptable performance is pretty much the best way to test something is what I need.

I also ran the outer worlds and got not much imporvement compared to my 1070.

On paper it's a solid upgrade, in reality it's definitely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

The 5700XT, for all of its driver problems, is a massive upgrade on a 1070 from a general FPS point of view. I think most reviews across a range of games put it somewhere in region of 30-40%.

Obviously you will get games that prefer Nvidia and the gap will be smaller, just as you will get certain other games that it will be significantly faster on AMD.

The Outer Worlds heavily prefers Nvidia cards for example.

If I can't play the games I play most with the settings I prefer without atleast a small upgrade it's not worth upgrading for me.

On paper it should have been a decent upgrade, in practice it was a side step at best, and at worst meant I couldn't play the games I like in the settings I prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

On a title like CS:GO where can you go from 300 fps really though?

The 1070 is still a great card, especially at 1080p (or less). The RX 5700 is way newer tech and seems to trounce it at 1440 or 4K as you would expect.

I suppose it depends what you need. There aren't any great leaps in GPUs anymore really, it's really about newer tech making the older cards uneconomical purchases at their price point at the time of release. If you already have one it doesn't really matter.

The only truly major upgrade over a 1070 is prob the 2080 Ti, of course Nvidia know this, hence the $$$$

2ndcoming wrote: »
    On a title like CS:GO where can you go from 300 fps really though?

The 1070 is still a great card, especially at 1080p (or less). The RX 5700 is way newer tech and seems to trounce it at 1440 or 4K as you would expect.

I suppose it depends what you need. There aren't any great leaps in GPUs anymore really, it's really about newer tech making the older cards uneconomical purchases at their price point at the time of release. If you already have one it doesn't really matter.

The only truly major upgrade over a 1070 is prob the 2080 Ti, of course Nvidia know this, hence the $$$$

With CS:GO I don't care that the FPS didn't increase, I care that I couldn't play on the resolution I prefer. The fact that the FPS halved annoyed me though.

On other games I wanted a decent increase and just didn't see it.

As you say can be horses for courses in terms of games.

I know myself the main driver is World of Warcraft. The FPS bump there was nice, I run a constant 144fps. The added benefit though was things like RDR2, GTAV and all these back catalog games I had, even things like Witcher and others. They look incredible and play incredible for me.

There is that nice part of a new GPU where I go back to some games I havn't played in years, crank em to max and the PC just breezes through them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement