Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Dog is wheezing/coughing/clearing Throat

• 19-12-2019 12:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, my elderly dog of 15 years and less than 3 weeks away from 15 years and 9 months old is wheezing or clearing his throat.

It started about two weeks ago and he used to do it once and then a couple of days later do it again but started to do it at least 3 times today.

When he done it first I thought something was stuck in his throat so I helped him with a dog hynic maneuver.

It's as if hair is stuck in his throat but there is none. He doesn't cough up anything like phlegm or blood or anything but due to his age I am a bit worried this will be the end of him.

He is still healthy apart of that.

Anyone know what is wrong with him from description.

I know if it gets worse I will bring him to the vet but it's not that bad yet so I said I will post here.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

You need to bring him to the vet op. A cough, particularly in an elderly dog, is indicative of several significant health problems. Even if it's kennel cough, which isn't too big a deal for many dogs, is a potential big problem for elderly dogs and must be addressed asap.
    You need to find out what's causing it op. It is 100% a sign of an underlying problem that, in a dog of such an age, must be identified and treated.

Hi, my elderly dog of 15 years and less than 3 weeks away from 15 years and 9 months old is wheezing or clearing his throat.

It started about two weeks ago and he used to do it once and then a couple of days later do it again but started to do it at least 3 times today.

When he done it first I thought something was stuck in his throat so I helped him with a dog hynic maneuver.

It's as if hair is stuck in his throat but there is none. He doesn't cough up anything like phlegm or blood or anything but due to his age I am a bit worried this will be the end of him.

He is still healthy apart of that.

Anyone know what is wrong with him from description.

I know if it gets worse I will bring him to the vet but it's not that bad yet so I said I will post here.

It sounds like a collapsing trachea, our jrt experienced the same symptoms around the same age, but go to your vet to have a check up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

As the above posters have said bring to your vet ASAP. It could also be related to the heart.

My own dog does the same as u described and he was diagnosed with a heart murmur.

Good luck hope all will be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Sounds like heart problems. Our beloved fat sausage Heinz 57 will be 15 in Feb and is similar. A cough with a choke at the end usually after exercise or exertion. VET said heart trouble and put her on beta blockers. She's doing fine...just like an OAP going that bit slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭gooseygander

Heart I’d say. Our elderly dog is on two heart tablets a day after the same symptoms, is it like the dog is about to puke at end of cough ?, I’d say deffo the heart. Tablets will give more quality time hopefully. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

DubInMeath wrote: »
    It sounds like a collapsing trachea, our jrt experienced the same symptoms around the same age, but go to your vet to have a check up.

Cheers for that. I googled it and it does seem like that is what he has.

Hopefully I get a couple of more months out of him before it get so bad I have to put him to sleep.

Out of curiosity how long did your dog last once he started doing the wheezing/coughing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Hopefully I get a couple of more months out of him before it get so bad I have to put him to sleep.

Out of curiosity how long did your dog last once he started doing the wheezing/coughing?

I Would say more like heart trouble , bring him to a vet asap , and please stop speculating with google searches.

Collapsing trachea can be a symptom of other issues including heart issues, so as stated previous, you need to go to your vet, my other half is a RVN and it's not something that you can guess at, you need tests.

My dog didn't have any heart issues when checked, she lived for another two years and didn't die due to her trachea issues, but developed a brain tumor and we had to have her put to sleep the day she started having transient ischemic clusters.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

With all due respect op, you can't use Dr. Google to diagnose an illness. I deliberately did not list potential diagnoses because there are a number of potential conditions your dog may have, based on the cough you describe. All of them, every one of them, requires for an elderly dog to be seen by the vet. Not left for a while to see what happens.
    You came here looking for advice. Every response that people have kindly given up their time to offer you, has advised that you get him checked by your vet. Don't ignore this. Please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Go to the vet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I will go to the vet. I was just asking for guidance more than anything. I will be very sad when he is gone so the longer he stays the better.

Thanks everyone for advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I will go to the vet. I was just asking for guidance more than anything. I will be very sad when he is gone so the longer he stays the better.

Thanks everyone for advice.

Same as me, I cant comprehend life without my ittle woman.

It's not the end yet, OP, so enjoy every moment.

Advertisement