Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage heating stopped working for the 6th time this year

Options
  • 19-12-2019 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I moved into my current place in march/april

For the 6th time since moving in our storage heaters have stopped working

Its always been the ones in the hall

A little history of the place, it was built as a purpose built holiday home.

Wiring is questionable as we have had countless issues from alarms needing to be disconnected to things tripping/power gone/heating and immersions not working

However from the storage heaters issue this is the 6th time.

We reported it to the agency who has offices (nationwide) on Monday

Its the same old response. our contractor will contact you shortly.

This was monday and I have not heard anything

When following up its the same old, as per our first email he will contact you shortly...

I am at my wits end given the house is literally an ice box, furthermore the guy will fix it for it go again in a month or so time.

The heaters are in the same state as when he leaves them and they just stop working all of a sudden.

I am not one to complain alot and I understand things can break down, but when it comes to things like no heat in the middle of winter in a timberframed house with little or no insulation it becomes to annoy me

especially when left in the dark about when it will be fixed.

Is there any way at all that I can a) request a quicker resolution and b) a more permanent fix

thanks and sorry for the long rant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

skinny90 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I moved into my current place in march/april

t I can a) request a quicker resolution and b) a more permanent fix

thanks and sorry for the long rant
    Write a letter of complaint. Complain to the RTB.

Six times! This sounds like the actual heater is knackered or that the electrics are not up to the demands made by the storage heater. Is the fault in the heater itself (overheating and cutting out I guess) or the fuse board area?

Six callouts would already be making a good dent into the price of a proper repair.

Inform agent that you want a permanent repair this time and that you will be making official complaint to Rtb if not. I suspect the owner will not want rtb involved as the type of house (uninsulated, timber built, ex holiday home) might not meet requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Have you asked the guy fixing it what the fault(s) were? It might be helpful to determine the property course of action to follow permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

skinny90 wrote: »
    Does anything trip on the fusebox?

Offer an extra 50 under the table if the contractor will show you how they fix it? Long term that 50 may save you a lot of hassle!

Advertisement