Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JS8Call

• 19-12-2019 2:22pm

I have to say I've been having a lot of fun using JS8Call.

JS8Call is based on FT8 except JS8 allows keyboard to keyboard communication and it works amazingly well.

There are 3 modes, Normal, Fast and turbo, normal mode is quite slow but allows communication down to -24 db Signal which is amazing.

I've had qso's with people in Turbo mode down to -15.

It has a "HB" heart beat function that will announce your callsign so others can pick you up but if you set it to 1 watt you can go to pskreporter to see how far you're getting out and it can be real fun seeing how far you can get with just 1 watt !

I have been using the Xiegu G90 and xggomms audio interface and the supplied usb for CAT/PTT. It works well , the 20 watts can make Dx difficult when conditions are poor but I have got to North, Central and South America with only 20 watts.

A common misconception is that JS8 is a low power mode, it isn't , it's a low signal meaning the software can decode extremely weak signals so use the power you need only to make that contact.

Digital also needs a clean signal so watch your audio levels and if using the IC-7300 don't have ALC lit up on the meter at all.

Anyway, give it a go and if you've used digital before it should be easy to get JS8 Call going, it is fun.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I downloaded the software and set it up working, but never went any further. Looking on You tube I think the software may be changed now.

haven't grasped the full nitty gritty of it yet. Was hoping to play a lot of radio over the holidays but a lot happening otherwise.

orm0nd wrote: »
    I downloaded the software and set it up working, but never went any further. Looking on You tube I think the software may be changed now.

haven't grasped the full nitty gritty of it yet. Was hoping to play a lot of radio over the holidays but a lot happening otherwise.

There's always time for some radio lol.

It's good, I like it. A key point for me is to be able to make contacts when the XYL is beside me reading or watching TV and JS8 call ticks that box and then some !

I have a hyendfed.nl 5 band MK III antenna wired to the sitting room and I can work there without disturbing the XYL because I don't want to go up to the shack all the time leaving here there alone. A great antenna only 20 Meters long and can work 80 meters, it has a coil, tuner needed above 3.6 Mhz and obviously a compromise antenna for 80M but it's working well on 80M , it would suit someone with a small garden, it's easily mounted, it's an end fed half wave, no radials needed as it uses a 49:1 UNUN.

Anyway, yes, it's a fun mode and I like it a lot. In normal mode it's slow to send messages but it's remarkable to make contacts with such weak signals. Fast mode is better and turbo is great, obviously Turbo needs a decent signal but I have had successful QSO at -15 with one person, probably depends a lot on conditions whether or not there is a lot of QSB or not.

If you click "HB" this will let other stations know you are there and if they have their station set to automatic and if they have "not" got a callsign highlighted their station will reply with an "ACK" and you signal report. Likewise , if you have your station set to Automatic it will reply to this "HB" and your station can send out this HB at set intervals.

Some stations are automatic and it can be difficult to know who will and won't respond so best wait until someone calls CQ which will be highlighted in green.

If someone doesn't reply could also mean they are having QSO have a look at the message window and you might see this QSO taking place and when they are finished give them a shout.

Best watch some JS8Call videos on youtube, latest version is 2.0.1 for Windows.

It's also amazing to see the software decode signals that are right in the middle of digital QRM probably from Military.

Definitely worth while, I like this mode and allows me make many more contacts than I otherwise could and I'm working over Xmas on night shift so I might remote into the laptop and make some contacts on JS8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭orm0nd

almost sure we just worked on 40m. didnt want to mention on air, & I type pick and peck , thanks again

orm0nd wrote: »
    almost sure we just worked on 40m. didnt want to mention on air, & I type pick and peck , thanks again

Ah was that you ? you were actually my first EI JS8Call contact, cheers ! :D

So it was your first time on JS8 you said ? it's a fun mode.

JS8 Call 2.1 now available.

From the developer....

JS8Call 2.1 is now available.

From the developer.

What's new? A bunch of bug fixes, of course. But also:

A new slow speed with a 30 second transmission for decoding down to -28dB. Fire up those milliwatts!

A software filter to limit the frequencies that the decoder will try to decode. Useful in crowded bands or for slow CPUs.

Some tweaks to the decoder to allow it to be slightly more sensitive.

Hope to QSO with you over the holidays. Cheers!

Best,
    Jordan / KN4CRD

• Advertisement

I'm having a lot of fun with JS8 Call.

I got it working with the Xiegu X5105 QRP Rig and here's how far I was getting out with only 5 Watts, see PSKreporter below. For those who might not know, the markers with mins are the ones who heard me.

k3qAwPi.png

Just got V31AE in Belize 7,800 Kms , with 5 Watts , that's nice , this is into my hyendfed.nl 5 Band MK III Antenna. :D

gavxy5s.jpg

According to his info he was transmitting @100 watts and I only 5. he was -15 and I -17

https://imgur.com/DF2A6VQ

uzZ7vZP.png

Has anyone else tried JS8 Call yet ?

Advertisement