Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lager Snobbery

• 19-12-2019 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

A lot of Lager connoisseurs out there lately.

Heineken's piss, Carlsberg's piss, Budweiser's piss etc.

Great craic on a night out so they are.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Budweiser is piss though.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

yeah i couldnt be arsed with the 9.5% triple hopped chocolate imperial stout lark anymore.

Everyone should drink what they like to drink and not worry about what anyone else likes to drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Budweiser is piss though.

I'd rather drink perineum-filtered scutter.

Anyone who doesn't like Carlsberg is a c*nt though. Fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I like tuborg and even tennents when i want a crisp refreshing lager, but budweiser is awful.
    I still can't get my head around the fact that grown men drink coors light in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Why the universal hate for Budweiser? I think it's just part of the lager snobbery. It's not my beer of choice but I'd happily drink it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

You need to stop drinking that pish and move to German WiessBier, its phenomenal - Paulaner, Franciskaner, Schneider...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'd rather drink perineum-filtered scutter.

Anyone who doesn't like Carlsberg is a c*nt though. Fact.

It's all just marketing. Carlsberg is the lowest of the low over here (so much so they've changed the recipe!), Tuborg is more premium which Irish people think I'm taking the piss when relay that nugget. It's all grand afaic, I've even been known to drink Carling if no better option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

iamtony wrote: »
    Why the universal hate for Budweiser? I think it's just part of the lager snobbery. It's not my beer of choice but I'd happily drink it.

Weak taste, no body or bite, very watery. Which I suppose are all the same thing?

Keyzer wrote: »
    You need to stop drinking that pish and move to German WiessBier, its phenomenal - Paulaner, Franciskaner, Schneider...

German beer is great, especially in Germany from the tap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

elfy4eva wrote: »

Only lately? It's been going on a while now.

I've no problem with Heineken or Carlsberg but I would draw the line at Bud as it looks and tastes like what you would get from this....

IMG-20190827-133653.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Look you can drink what you want but those lager's taste like dishwater. German lager for example (not the hoppy kind) is fantastic, tastes great and you have way less of a hangover that that muck that you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

I like tuborg and even tennents when i want a crisp refreshing lager, but budweiser is awful.
    I still can't get my head around the fact that grown men drink coors light in this country.

I'm not a drinker of bud, too bitter for my taste but some probably like that. I don't understand those who make it their mission to denounce somebody else's drink. It's just bleedin' lager lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Beer snobs are only second to music snobs in the wankery index.

Feck off with your aprons, beards and lumberjack shirts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I know it's not considered a craft beer but when I used to drink I really liked Hoegaarden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

a pint of plain is yer only man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

theteal wrote: »
    It's all just marketing. Carlsberg is the lowest of the low over here (so much so they've changed the recipe!), Tuborg is more premium which Irish people think I'm taking the piss when relay that nugget. It's all grand afaic, I've even been known to drink Carling if no better option.

Fact. Tuborg is a lovely, crisp lager. I like Carlsberg when Tuborg isn't available, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

If you were to rate everything you could possibly drink from 1 being the best to 1,000,000 being the worst. Piss would be a hell of a lot closer to 1 than Budweiser.

I've have drank weiss beer it's nice but it's a different drink to lager. I do think it's funny though you laud these commercial brands of weiss beer, while mocking commercial lagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I find lager in general cuts the stomach off me and gives me terrible flatulence the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Guinness rock shore is nice larger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

A nice auld pint of pißß wässer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

never really drank Dutch Gold, but Tennents, Bavaria, Tuborg, any of them, are all good beers

never really drank Dutch Gold, but Tennents, Bavaria, Tuborg, any of them, are all good beers

All just lagers, 4 ingredients same as the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

I wouldn't feed Weissbier to my dog.

Weak taste, no body, very watery.

Very similar to heineken, carlsberg, Coors etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭mrpdap

mariaalice wrote: »

That rock shore lager is terrible, got a pint once, took a mouthful and left the rest. Hop13 is similar dross.

But, each to his/her own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Pilsner Urquel is very nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

mariaalice wrote: »

Have you tried it smaller?

(sorry)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Not a fan in Lager in general, find it a bit boring.

That said, some of the German and Eastern European (Esp Czech) lagers can be tasty enough.

Tuborg is my cheap can of choice when the situation demands it. Better than a lot of the "premium" lagers as mentioned.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

mrpdap wrote: »
    That rock shore lager is terrible, got a pint once, took a mouthful and left the rest. Hop13 is similar dross.

But, each to his/her own

Those are both quite "hoppy", the sort of thing that's all the rage now with the Beardy Young Things. I had two pints of Hophouse 13 a while back, it was nice enough at the time, but I wouldn't drink any more of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Last two years or so any lager gives me hideous stomach acid. Can be the most expensive perfectly crafted Czech pilsner and it'll still do me in after a few pints; whereas ales and stouts don't. So I'm off all of them; but used to drink most of them.

However, Budweiser is particularly awful as its manufactured using the cheapest possible ingredients including the use of rice as an adjunct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Fair play, it's probably not good to give your dog alcohol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Not if you've any kind of a dodgy stomach. I love wheat beers but if I had even one I'd be absolutely crippled :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Weak taste, no body or bite, very watery. Which I suppose are all the same thing?

This ^^^, weak, watery, flat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Equium

Budweiser, and indeed a lot of American lagers, are indeed made with poorer quality ingredients than most European beers. The use of adjuncts such as rice as cheaper alternatives to barley is a result of a shortage of grain in the US upon the end of Prohibition in the 1930s. I have to say that I really struggled to enjoy beer whilst in the US over the last few summers. The lagers there in particular are either sickly sweet or devoid of any taste. In Europe, meanwhile, and particularly Central Europe, the availability of quality, locally produced lagers/pilseners in every city and region is staggering. That's not even to mention weissbiers, witbiers, dunkels, helles... I'm happy that more and more of these beers are becoming available on tap in Ireland. The likes of Heineken and Carsberg are palatable, but not nearly as tasty.

As someone who has brewed several styles of beer in the past, I also find it very strange that those who are snobs towards lager are often fans of IPAs. Lagers and pilseners are some of the most technically challenging beers to produce as any faults with the brew is obvious at once to the consumer. With an IPA, on the other hand, any issue with the taste can be hidden behind copious amounts of hops. For being the so-called poster-child style of the craft brewing revolution, they also all taste very similar in my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'd happily drink Tuborg if it's on offer. Budweiser is the only beer I genuinely dislike: it's bland and really, really gassy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I do like nice beers.I don't really hold with this craft designation. There's just nice beers and beers I don't like.

I lean more toward stout and ales but like lager, especially in summer. I like a lot of the so called high end ones but happily drink anything I like.

I think Heineken, Budweiser and Carlsberg are piss. That's not snobbery, I just think they are. I happily drink Carlsberg Unfiltered, Peroni, Praga (Dunnes own brand), Rossini (Aldi brand), Budvar, Moreti etc so it's hardly a case of being against popular lagers.

When it comes to beer snobbery, I think it goes far more the other way. People being far too concerned with what so called craft other people drink than anything else. It's a particularly strange thing in Ireland, hence all the usual tedious wolfs knob IPA type jokes as if a merely different beer to other people is somehow sacrilegious. Get over it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I happily drink Carlsberg Unfiltered

Was pleasantly surprised to find this is quite tasty, and I'd rate regular Carlsberg very lowly.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Was pleasantly surprised to find this is quite tasty, and I'd rate regular Carlsberg very lowly.

Yeah same here. Nice summer drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Drank every lager and enjoyed most of them but I just love Tuborg. Great bite to it. AND it’s cheap too, €3.70 a pint in my local.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

To me Paulaner tastes and smell like someone shoved the open bottle up their **** and farted in to it before giving it to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I hear more talk of beer snobbery than actual beer snobbery. I also hear far more sneering about people who like trying the "non standard" beers out than sneering from them.

I genuinely think Bud and Carling are terrible but I like Heineken and Carlsberg. It shouldn't matter whether it's Dutch Gold or whatever IPA. If you like you like, if you don't you don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

L1011 wrote: »
    Last two years or so any lager gives me hideous stomach acid. Can be the most expensive perfectly crafted Czech pilsner and it'll still do me in after a few pints; whereas ales and stouts don't. So I'm off all of them; but used to drink most of them.

However, Budweiser is particularly awful as its manufactured using the cheapest possible ingredients including the use of rice as an adjunct.

That's not why.
    https://www.thespruceeats.com/why-do-some-brewers-use-rice-or-corn-in-their-beer-353284

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Raconteuse wrote: »
    I hear more talk of beer snobbery than actual beer snobbery. I also hear far more sneering about people who like trying the "non standard" beers out than sneering from them.

I genuinely think Bud and Carling are terrible but I like Heineken and Carlsberg. It shouldn't matter whether it's Dutch Gold or whatever IPA. If you like you like, if you don't you don't.
    Pretty much. Seems more people are upset at others having different tastes than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Budweiser is awful, Carlsberg gives me a bad hangover. Heineken and Tuborg are fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

You just can’t beat a few Harp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Wish they sold Prazsky in bottles here, they tease us with those trucks that go around advertising them on the side.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Isn't Heineken made from the waste pish out of the Tuborg factory then??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

KungPao wrote: »
    You just can’t beat a few Harp.

Harp is grand from a large bottle. Don't see them too often.

• Advertisement
Advertisement