Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Value of a liquor License

Options
  • 19-12-2019 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi ... does anyone know the current value of a 7day liquor license ? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Assume you mean the cost not the value? No one is going to really be able to tell you the value.

Where are you located and what type of premises is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭thegolfer

Possibly in the region of 50-60k, hard to come by I understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

I was looking at buying a property with a license at auction 2 months ago but wanted to sell it on - spoke to 2 auctioneers that deal in them and the bottom line was, if I was serious to shift the license on - 42k to 45k tops taking their fees into account.
    I then looked at another pub with no license included and the seller wanted 50k for the licence if I was interested in buying it.
    Private sellers are asking 60 to 70k but no idea if they are getting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Chevy RV

Hello All,

I would have thought they were easy to get with all the rural pubs closing down. I do know that there may be tax clearence issues attached to many of them though which means they are not freely available on the open market.

Chevy RV

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

Sold one last year for 50k.

Can fetch up to 60-65k if your willing to hold out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Chevy RV wrote: »
    Hello All,

I would have thought they were easy to get with all the rural pubs closing down. I do know that there may be tax clearence issues attached to many of them though which means they are not freely available on the open market.

Chevy RV

The closing of rural pubs will come to an end at some point.

I am aware of a several long closed pubs and the licence is still attached.

I suppose its a kind of an investment too, if you hold the licence long enough it will probably be worth €100K again some day.

The demand is coming from the supermarkets and they seem to be constantly adding new stores around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Chevy RV

easypazz wrote: »
    The closing of rural pubs will come to an end at some point. When most of the small rural pubs are closed due to increased costs like rates and insurance and falling turnover due to social changes - drink driving, lack of taxis, morning after and risk of losing licence etc etc

I am aware of a several long closed pubs and the licence is still attached. ALL Pub licences expire on 30.09.20XX EVERY YEAR. The owners is very unlikely to keep spending the renewal fees if the pub has closed

I suppose its a kind of an investment too, if you hold the licence long enough it will probably be worth €100K again some day. My lottery numbers are bound to come up sometime?

The demand is coming from the supermarkets and they seem to be constantly adding new stores around the country.
    They must also be getting near saturation level . With the rise of online, home delivery,electric cars - these all point to less shops as we know them in the not too distant future. Why would chains continue opening bricks and mortar stores then?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

Sine of them were in the past and still continue to be left lapse and therefore the pool of licenses is ever decreasing.

Also some can't be renewed because if outstanding monies to the tax man so are left to go dormant.

There are far more licenses left to go dormant than are granted. As supply decreases the prices will hold strong. .

With the cost of setting up and fitting out a new enterprise in urban and suburban locations 50k for the license can be a drop in the ocean.

A new or newly reopened pub needs significant investment if it hopes to survive given the difficulties faced by the industry and the quality of the offering from competitors.

Advertisement