Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J. K. Rowling is cancelled because she is a T.E.R.F [ADMIN WARNING IN POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Thats great. Good for you. Some other people, male and female, might feel differently, especially in situations that involve being unclothed or vulnerable. Is that not ok too?

Also here is the article again where rowling explains the pen name back in 2013. 3 years before the actions of Robert galbraith heath came to light. I think this proves that she didn't pick the name out of homophobic intentions. Just in case you missed it.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/jul/24/jk-rowling-robert-galbraith-harry-potter

Oh, snap. :D

ODB what if this doctor was a trans person, has trained in medical school for umpteen years. What makes that doctor any less qualifed than any other doctor? And, in that case, would you be against like male midwives?

No, if some women are comfortable with male midwives, that's great. Not every woman will be though.

I had an instance of asking a male nurse not to be present at an intimate wound-dressing before. It was heeded immediately. Would that still be the case if it was a transgender woman who I could see was male? Why should my comfort in a very vulnerable situation not be of utmost importance in that scenario? Why are somebody else's feeling more important?
    Gruffalox wrote: »
    Maybe that particular woman - who is by no means unusual - has chosen not to be in a room with any man for a long time. And not because they are predators. But because she has PTSD. Your sympathy for real life situations that women may find themselves in is overwhelming.

The lack of empathy for women is staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

People have to make a conscious decision to believe that someone saying they are a woman means that they are really and literally a woman.

It's a metaphysical claim and brings us back to the idea of a soul - this intangible essence totally seperate from the realities of the body - one's feelings trumping one's genes.

It is, in a post Enlightenment world, a radical theory and those who cannot bring themselves to believe it because it is completely at odds with their understanding of the world are not evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

So apparently that reviewer for the telegraph was telling porkies:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/j-k-rowling-s-latest-novel-isn-t-transphobic-

1 passing reference in 900 pages. I'm sure JK's inbox will be flooded with apologies for overeach and jumping to conclusions tonight.

So apparently that reviewer for the telegraph was telling porkies:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/j-k-rowling-s-latest-novel-isn-t-transphobic-

1 passing reference in 900 pages. I'm sure JK's inbox will be flooded with apologies for overeach and jumping to conclusions tonight.

I. Am. Shocked. That. The. Mountain. Was. Nothing. But. A. Molehill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

And yet even if somebody has gender reassignment surgery anbd legally changes their gender you don't recognise their gender?

Standing in a garage doesn’t maketh the mechanic.

Most people are courteous enough to use the name and pronoun that trans people wish. Does it mean in their heart and soul they equate a trans woman with a natural woman ( or trans man with a natural man)? no, I’d wager they don’t. Because that would be ridiculously stupid and denying human biology.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,309 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I. Am. Shocked. That. The. Mountain. Was. Nothing. But. A. Molehill.

Poor JK Rowling. She has a target on her back now. Everything she says or does will be scrutinized and the twitter mob will pile on at any opportunity. They dont care if they are proven wrong time and time again, once their objectives of attacking and humiliating this woman are achieved. They want to bully her into submission but I dont think that will work here. I hope it doesnt escalate.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Poor JK Rowling. She has a target on her back now. Everything she says or does will be scrutinized and the twitter mob will pile on at any opportunity. They dont care if they are proven wrong time and time again, once their objectives of attacking and humiliating this woman are achieved. They want to bully her into submission but I dont think that will work here. I hope it doesnt escalate.

It’s truly disturbing at this point. A modern day witch-hunt. So progressive.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,675 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

LLMMLL threadban lifted

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

I know someone who has has gender reassignment surgery, lovely woman. She’s happy with who she is now - generally speaking.

What bothers her is that she went through three years living as a woman; extensive therapy and at least five painful surgeries. She calls herself a transsexual woman.

Yet some kid threw on less eyeliner than Boy George on a casual Friday, said they were non binary and called her a bigot!!! Apparently “transsexual” is a bad word!

For a generation that want to preach acceptance and tolerance they don’t show much of either!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

I don't think you have to look far for J Ks trabsphobia:

"In the scene, a trans woman, Pippa, follows and tries to stab the protagonist, Cormoran Strike, before getting trapped in Strike’s office. After demanding Pippa’s ID, her trans status is revealed and her visible Adam’s apple is noted, while it's noted that her hands were jammed in her pockets. Pippa tries several times to escape the office before Strike finally says, “‘If you go for that door one more time I’m calling the police and I’ll testify and be glad to watch you go down for attempted murder. And it won’t be fun for you Pippa,’ he added. ‘Not pre-op.’”"

I mean I don't expect her to support putting trans women in women's prisons or anything but would expect more than making fun of the experiences of trans women in male prisons.

It's basically "haha while you desperately try to hide your shameful mannish hands I'm gonna joke about you getting beaten/raped/murdered in prison".

Charming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭raclle

Sounds like you're trying to get banned again

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I read something yesterday that Rowling coming out as a TERF was pre-publicity for her book. If you look at it that way it starts to make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I read something yesterday that Rowling coming out as a TERF was pre-publicity for her book. If you look at it that way it starts to make sense.

How does it make sense? In theory she's alienated a section of her audience, who won't buy her new book. How does this make sense in your head? Do you really think that people who have a problem with the trans lobby are going to rush to buy her new book now? Even if so, why would you risk one market group for another, especially when you consider the fact that there's no certainty of outcome?

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

While I'm on this roll. Who are you to say somebody is not a male? That somebody is not a female?

And of course, ultimately your defence of Rowling is a defence of yourself. You want to hold views that would be labelled as transphobic by any transgender person, but you don't want that label. Unfortunately you don't get to decide whether you are transphobic or not, it's the people whose views your words and actions would hurt who decide that.

Cani be a female if i wish ? Whats the criteria ? Genuinely curious, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

While I'm on this roll. Who are you to say somebody is not a male? That somebody is not a female?

And of course, ultimately your defence of Rowling is a defence of yourself. You want to hold views that would be labelled as transphobic by any transgender person, but you don't want that label. Unfortunately you don't get to decide whether you are transphobic or not, it's the people whose views your words and actions would hurt who decide that.

This is demonstrably not true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 sheepskin1234

I see RTE have Jedward on their homepage again, some response to JK.

Can this dweebs piss off? The money must be running out, they've come alive the last few weeks.

They're even messaging fans of theirs from years ago who messaged them to say thanks. I have seen screenshots from Jedward replying to messages sent 6 ir 7 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Cani be a female if i wish ? Whats the criteria ? Genuinely curious, thanks.

Criteria is fairly simple. You have to feel like it. It gets better as the next day or even the same day you can feel like you want to be a man again. Fluidity is an amazing gift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Can this dweebs piss off? The money must be running out, they've come alive the last few weeks.

They're even messaging fans of theirs from years ago who messaged them to say thanks. I have seen screenshots from Jedward replying to messages sent 6 ir 7 years ago.

Ah good ol' RTE - 'national broadcaster'

I wonder have the zelebrity twins anything to sell? (Yes - they have):D
    Have they read the crime thriller book in question? (No, no they haven't):cool:
    Have they received an opinion that they think will work for them? (Why yes, yes they have):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,815 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

That’s some Ringo Starr level dedication right there. Fair play to them!

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

It's like all the bland, standard responses from Radcliffe et al a few months back. Reminds me of:

https://youtu.be/oWeS0M2L5Ok

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

The FNG wrote: »
    If I were a multi millionaire like JK Rowling I'd spend my days flying around the world indulging in high quality coke and hookers, not getting into fights with trannies on twitter.

Mod: Choose your words more carefully, or at least take the time to educate yourself on what terms are offensive and that aren't, before posting again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

They're cropping up all over twitter to hyperactively admonish everybody from JKR and Ian Brown to Noel Gallagher.

Always seemed like nice lads but wouldn't know if sudden flurry of conscience signals a new album or what
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭AllForIt

This is worth a watch for the giggles of it. Benjamin Butterworth does it again. Trans activist doesn't even agree with him.

Just goes to show that all these racism/transphobic/whatever controversies are given oxygen by not the supposedly oppressed but by middle class white loons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Disseminating a hash tag called RIPJKRowling is actually a nuanced comment on her commercial viability as opposed to a veiled threat.

Well, that's cleared that up, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

They are right on the fact that this really going to help book sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭JoannaJag

AllForIt wrote: »
    This is worth a watch for the giggles of it. Benjamin Butterworth does it again. Trans activist doesn't even agree with him.

Just goes to show that all these racism/transphobic/whatever controversies are given oxygen by not the supposedly oppressed but by middle class white loons.

Rose of Dawn is hilarious - and spot on. Loved her laughing in the corner when the others were talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Jedward leading the charge toward farenheit 451 book burning sessions, 2020 has it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

They're cropping up all over twitter to hyperactively admonish everybody from JKR and Ian Brown to Noel Gallagher.

Always seemed like nice lads but wouldn't know if sudden flurry of conscience signals a new album or what
    :D
    People are lapping it up. I disagree with Brown of course (nothing wrong with asking questions but there is with heralding conspiracy theories as truth) but no need for the hero worship of those two who are frankly like the children (even though they're pushing 30) in Village of the Damned on speed.

Just because they have the right-on opinion. They're a kids act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

People are lapping it up. I disagree with Brown of course (nothing wrong with asking questions but there is with heralding conspiracy theories as truth) but no need for the hero worship of those two who are frankly like the children (even though they're pushing 30) in Village of the Damned on speed.

Just because they have the right-on opinion. They're a kids act.

so Brown is wrong but Jedward are also wrong for saying that Brown is wrong. gotcha

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement