Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J. K. Rowling is cancelled because she is a T.E.R.F [ADMIN WARNING IN POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

I dont understand how people tie so much time up in this subject of trans as it like <1% population and personally feel just let em live life,whatever way they want??

But i felt this was a reasonable response (3rd part),but 100K responses is nuts like:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1269389298664701952

I wish it were that simple. It's nice to have a reasoned debate with colleagues and friends about things in politics, societal issues and such. I first entered the workforce in 1990 and never until sometime last year have I been told that 'you can't say things like that' when I said how lubricous I thought it was that there are apparently 60 or 70 or more genders that people say they identify themselves with. I was even told that I was not not as I think I am, ie: male, but only a person who identifies as a male, it got pretty heated but still I felt it remained within reason and overall respectful.

But what I realised almost immediately after that was I could just as easily get fired for openly saying I disagree.
    So I have to suppress my ideas and desire to discuss things and show humility when a small monitory of society are given the green light to ensure that suppression continues and show the opposite of humility.

Dante7 wrote: »
    It would be illegal for a business to refuse entry to a man who declared himself a woman. That's the point. You seem to understand that there is an issue with this. That's why we are fighting.

I was under impression management have right to refuse admission to any business (pubs at least)

Just extend this to gyms/swimming pools and your issue is sorted then surely,and no need for anyone to be fighting either way?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Moghead

Gruffalox wrote: »
    One of my kids expressed gender differently for most of their childhood. We said and did nothing about it. No rainbow swathed shoots for Instagram or tearful interviews to the Daily Mail, no "So Proud" facebook posts cuddling them in tutus for the likes, no reinforcement, no neurosis, no making it in anyway anything out of the ordinary. It was normal human expression of a normal facet of human nature. To be honest we never batted an eyelid nor even mentioned it beyond in domestic terms of endearment and then very rarely. It simply was a non issue. Puberty roared in and the ducks were lined up in their natural row. Result -Intact healthy child, no meds, no obsession, happy in their skin, a kid who never gave a second thought to deconstructionist ideologies like " gender identity". The fcuking amount of young lives being ruined by the present sh1tshow is highly disturbing to me. A barbaric regressive tragedy.

What of your child didn't grow out of it? Would you be support them and stand by them if they wanted to change gender?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The madness of the left just keeps on giving.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

This really smells more like a “Current Affairs” thread. Smell really bad.

Mod:

I think they have enough to deal with currently. Thread closed for review

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Admin: Thread moved to CA at AH mods request.

CA forum rules apply, of which can be summed up concisely as "don't be a dick". You're welcome to discuss the topic, but any thinly veiled rants at the trans community, broad brush strokes of labelling trans people as having mental issues / are paedophiles etc, or any other attempts at being blatantly offensive will earn a threadban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Like, how can this be considered in any way a normal response to any of what Rowling tweeted last night? It’s from somebody with a decent enough platform and who used to work for Elizabeth Warren. The amount of aggression in the tweet is astounding. But it enjoys a lot of support.

https://twitter.com/benjaminokeefe/status/1269407681611280386?s=21

That tweet is in response to this one:

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1269389298664701952?s=21

Also, the overdramatic “ThAnKs fOr rUiNiNg mY cHiLdHoOd”-style nonsense is cringeworthy. You can’t retrospectively ruin a childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Like, how can this be considered in any way a normal response to any of what Rowling tweeted last night? It’s from somebody with a decent enough platform and who used to work for Elizabeth Warren. The amount of aggression in the tweet is astounding. But it enjoys a lot of support.

Also, the overdramatic “ThAnKs fOr rUiNiNg mY cHiLdHoOd”-style nonsense is cringeworthy. You can’t retrospectively ruin a childhood.

Some good replies too. I like the one by a man who is enjoying (sarcastically) the narcissistic rage aimed at JK, a womanwho cant be bullied, silenced or shamed. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Ugh thats rotten. And from someone who is not anonymous, which is weird. I notice with the sex based sexual attraction bullying or call outs, it is never or hardly ever gay men being bullied for being bigots and not fancying male fanny. That is odd.

Gruffalox wrote: »
    Ugh thats rotten. And from someone who is not anonymous, which is weird. I notice with the sex based sexual attraction bullying or call outs, it is never or hardly ever gay men being bullied for being bigots and not fancying male fanny. That is odd.

Totally brazen. Totally thinks he is in the right. And with the support he has received, why not, I guess? Depressing to witness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,174 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

spurious wrote: »
    Are you a guy? If not and you think it stops at 45, I'm afraid I have news for you.

I will spare you the details regarding 'stops', which isn't an entirely accurate description.

I'm married to a 62 year old woman. It stops. When varies from woman to woman. You don't have to take everything literally.

My point was that many people who don't menstruate are women.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,427 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I don’t really follow this debate, can someone please give me a quick explainer of what the Trans Rights movement expect from the rest of society.

It would be nice if the explanation is given in a ‘steelman’ context (the opposite of straw man, where you try to give the other person’s view the absolute benefit of the doubt wherever there is ambiguity over their position)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

I just had a look at that guy's Twitter account Ben O'Keefe, he describes himself as Creative Producer. Strategist. Speaker. Activist. Trans-inclusive Intersectional Feminist

The word hypocrisy cannot even begin to describe this. This person is openly displaying his confusion, he uses the work inclusive to describe himself yet shows vile intolerance when a respected author expresses a completely valid point backed up by science.

Akrasia wrote: »
    I don’t really follow this debate, can someone please give me a quick explainer of what the Trans Rights movement expect from the rest of society.

It would be nice if the explanation is given in a ‘steelman’ context (the opposite of straw man, where you try to give the other person’s view the absolute benefit of the doubt wherever there is ambiguity over their position)

Trans people want to be treated as their preferred gender and given the sex-specific rights afforded to their preferred identity.

This includes access to sex specific changing rooms, prisons and other usually sex segregated places.

They also are calling for this to be afforded to anyone who claims to be transgender. There is no need for body altercation, just the proclamation of their gender identity should and must give them rights to be treated as they feel.

If children feel gender confused, it should also be ok in circumstances to chemically block their puberty.

Not doing any or all of the above should be a hate crime.

Am I missing anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Couple Q

What are Twitter blue ticks?

What is the Scottish GRA?

Twitter blue ticks are verified accounts, the person/organisation tweeting from that account actually IS the person/organisation that they say they are. A blue tick appears after their name on their twitter account.

The Scottish GRA is the Scottish Gender Recognition Act, I'm assuming?

https://www.stonewallscotland.org.uk/get-involved/get-involved-campaign-us/gender-recognition-act

Am I missing anything?

You forgot that Lesbians are transphobic because they won't have sex with someone who has a penis but identifies themselves as female.

the mind boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I find it ironic that many of the people who spoke so passionately about biology in the 8th amendment referendum seem to be offended by its existence on other matters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Jesus it can't be said enough times but Twitter is such a cesspit.

There's enough kool aid, of all stripes, on Twitter to wipe out half the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

why does this issue not focus on intersex? People with actual observable variations in physical make up and at a chromosomal level?

Trans people want to be treated as their preferred gender and given the sex-specific rights afforded to their preferred identity.

This includes access to sex specific changing rooms, prisons and other usually sex segregated places.

They also are calling for this to be afforded to anyone who claims to be transgender. There is no need for body altercation, just the proclamation of their gender identity should and must give them rights to be treated as they feel.

If children feel gender confused, it should also be ok in circumstances to chemically block their puberty.

Not doing any or all of the above should be a hate crime.

Am I missing anything?

Also, that at first transgender rights activists campaigned on the grounds that gender was different was sex. I actually think most people were broadly okay with this. If somebody wants to be the opposite gender, what harm?

But then the narrative seemed to change when a realisation came about that there were rights based on sex, not gender. Then the idea that sex was not set in stone began to creep in and where the mantra ‘Transwomen are women!’ gained purchase. This is what is causing a lot of contention.

• Advertisement

why does this issue not focus on intersex? People with actual observable variations in physical make up and at a chromosomal level?

Intersex people are used by TRAs as proof that sex isn’t binary or immutable even though intersex people can’t change their karyotypes either and generally are either male or female phenotypically. Women like me, who can’t menstruate, are also used along the lines of “So you’re saying that women who don’t have periods aren’t women, JK?”. It’s so dishonest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Because Disorders of Sexual development have nothing to do with someone believing that they have some sort of magical, inner feeling that makes them a member of the opposite sex. People with DSDs also don't appreciate being dragged into this debate and being used as some sort of gotcha by trans activists. Anyway, even if DSDs were relevant and sex was a spectrum (which it's not), the existence of green doesn't mean that yellow can become blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Intersex people are used by TRAs as proof that sex isn’t binary or immutable even though intersex people can’t change their karyotypes either and generally are either male or female phenotypically. Women like me, who can’t menstruate, are also used along the lines of “So you’re saying that women who don’t have periods aren’t women, JK?”. It’s so dishonest.

What do you mean by change their karyotypes?

And by generally male or female phenotypically what is the other option? Is it just indeterminate or there is a term for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

storker wrote: »
    I don't disagree with Ms Rowling, but she does seem to have become a bit of a rent-a-quote, making pronunciations as if they carry additional weight because they come from her. Perhaps I'm being unfair; she may just see herself as a just another Twitter user giving her opinion, to which she's certainly entitled, and the "weight" is attributed to her her statements not by her but by others (I'm looking at lazy mainstream hack "journalists") She's an author, that's it. Anyone who thinks this makes her more right about something needs to read up on the Appeal to Unqualified Authority fallacy. As it happens I agree with her, but I agreed with her before she said anything, not because of it.

Well, just recently she was libelled in a tweet (likened to Savile and she was 'not safe' to be around children)
    She has been labelled a 'transphobe', a 'homophobe', a 'fascist', a 'misogynist and plenty of more ists and phobes for in reality not being a transphobe, a homphobe, a fascist, a misogynist and plenty of more ists and phobes because she has her own point of view and states it civily and quite compassionately.

I agree blue ticks are hung onto like the seers of all knowledge when quite patently the vast majority have less actual intellectual weight than a silly meme.

All people should think critically about what they are being taught in schools, colleges and universities - and the dangers of one think, authoritarianism and purity politics.

It’s about time she wrote something that wasn’t rubbish.

Really though, she’s 100% correct and hopefully more follow suit so we can finally begin to put this embarrassing section of our history behind us.

blergh wrote: »
    That fighting on twitter is still better than Count Arthur Strong.
    [I assume; I don't remember reading any of it.]
    Count Arthur Strong was very bad though. Made me wonder if Father Ted and the IT Crowd would have been **** without their strong casts too.

Anyway, back on topic. JK Rowling is kinda hot, in spite of being 54.
    I see her tweet followed a tweet about an article referring to "people who menstruate".
    Well yeah that's just silly. Anyone who takes offence to saying women menstruate is definitely looking for something to take offence to.
    Indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Biological Male Biological Female that is all! Fair play to JK for not cowering away like other cowardly public figures!

Indeed... feelings and ideology do not trump biology and historical fact.

Getting increasingly tired of being told what I should think and that the Emperor really is wearing clothes :rolleyes: It was OK when this nonsense was confined to Twitter but it's increasingly leaking into the Real World now too.

This is not America! FFS Newstalk are banging on about slavery in Ireland here at the moment :rolleyes:

Less than half a percent of people identify as transgender - how does this generate such a strong debate (one way or the other)?

- Stupidlikeafox (himself/yer man)

People have to remember, there is a catchall 'umbrella' which is now in traction with 'no debate' allowed.

Capture the elites, redefine the language, never allow debate, point many fingers is the modus operandi of not just identity politics but also cults.

This authoritarian stuff camouflaged by 'kindness' and 'openness' is rife amongst the graduates in employ now - HR, govt bodies, tech companies, political parties - the hurdle which is insurmountable for them is reality & compassion and individual thought.

In my opinion, it's wise to never go along blindly with such altruistic sounding soundbytes - it's all so capturing (with zero debate guaranteed) and it's meant to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

This Trans activist sums up their argument. This is what the fight is about. Choose you sides wisely.

https://twitter.com/biggaypaul92/status/1269593417480310784?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: Threads merged.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement