Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J. K. Rowling is cancelled because she is a T.E.R.F [ADMIN WARNING IN POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Gruffalux wrote: »
    Check out Debbie Hayton. She is a transwoman. As an example. Lovely person. She covers some relevant areas in this thread but you can look at her timeline generally. This idea that telling the truth is hate or hurt is incorrect
    https://twitter.com/DebbieHayton/status/1267915388983169027?s=19

She is an inspiration. Amazing to read her stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Still waiting for LLMMLL to explain in what sense trans women ARE women.

What definition of "woman" are you using?
    It shouldn't matter. It's disrespectful to women to even entertain the notion that "woman" is an intangible fluid entity rather than an adult female human. And the intangible, fluid stuff is what those who argue trans women are women use. That biology is subjective.

I find it upsetting. I can't even begin to fathom what it must be like for a regular contributor here who has terminal breast cancer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Still waiting for LLMMLL to explain in what sense trans women ARE women.

What definition of "woman" are you using?

you might be waiting a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

It's disrespectful to women to even entertain the notion that "woman" is an intangible fluid entity rather than an adult female human.

Becoming a "woman" requires being born female, plus 18 years of socialization and acculturation throughout girlhood that shape a distinctly female view of the world.

The notion that someone who grows up male can take hormones, change the way he dresses and behaves, and achieve the same outcome of becoming a woman is faintly ridiculous.

Invidious wrote: »
    Becoming a "woman" requires being born female, plus 18 years of socialization and acculturation throughout girlhood that shape a distinctly female view of the world.

The notion that someone who grows up male can take hormones, change the way he dresses and behaves, and achieve the same outcome of becoming a woman is faintly ridiculous.

Completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

you might be waiting a while

He's obviously just a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Rothko wrote: »
    He's obviously just a troll.

This thread is seen a few the last week or so

It shouldn't matter. It's disrespectful to women to even entertain the notion that "woman" is an intangible fluid entity rather than an adult female human. And the intangible, fluid stuff is what those who argue trans women are women use. That biology is subjective.

I find it upsetting. I can't even begin to fathom what it must be like for a regular contributor here who has terminal breast cancer.

No it shouldn't.

But I want to hear him explain how he arrives at this belief, and how he defines "woman".

He seems very sure of himself so this should be easy.

No it shouldn't.

But I want to hear him explain how he arrives at this belief, and how he defines "woman".

Personally as one of said wimmins, I’m a big fan of “adult human female”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

No it shouldn't.

I've had that debate probably at least 3 times and responded extensively. If you search under my username for keywords such as "definition" you'll find probably 100+ posts I've made on the issue.

I don't have the time these days to have the exact same debate a 4th or 5th time. But feel free to read my older posts.

• Advertisement

No it shouldn't.

Their definition though is to erase adult human female (seen it already) and shouldn't be given oxygen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Their definition though is to erase adult human female (seen it already) and shouldn't be given oxygen.

LLMMLL coined the phrase transfemale. And stands by it. That says enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Well, weirdly I have a cancer that men can also get. :D

Women are far, far more likely to get breast cancer though. We are the ones who get the recommendations to go for the yearly mammograms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

I’m sorry to hear that and I hope you are doing Ok.

very sorry to hear, hope things go well for you.

lost my mum to it in june, horrible disease.

My best wishes to you, I’ve a colleague o think the world of battling it now.

Horrible disease, horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

LLMMLL wrote: »
    TERF describes people with a certain set of opinions. I do not call everyone who disagrees with me a TERF.

For example OEJ clearly disagrees with me and I do not for a second think he's a TERF.

As I said it's a PR campaign.

I'm not going to engage on this subject anymore as I recognise the tactic is to cause such a fuss about it that mods will have to intervene.

I will continue to use it as a non derogatory convenient descriptor of people who hold certain beliefs And that's the last I will say on it.

He's not a TERF because he isn't a feminist. It's funny how the only people you've labelled a TERF in this thread have been the women... I wonder why that is!

You still never answered my question btw!

He's not a TERF because he isn't a feminist. It's funny how the only people you've labelled a TERF in this thread have been the women... I wonder why that is!

You still never answered my question btw!

I get the impression he hates "real "women, whilst trying to tell us transwomen are real women.....the same real women he attacks.

you could not make this up....it would be funny if it were not so disturbingly wrong and evil.

Sorry to read about your mother, JCD, and your colleague G08.

And just thinking about the reverse situation too - what kind of language are medics supposed to use in relation to a trans woman with prostate or testicular cancer if the patient insists on being identified as a woman and female?

• Advertisement

And just thinking about the reverse situation too - what kind of language are medics supposed to use in relation to a trans woman with prostate or testicular cancer if the patient insists on being identified as a woman and female?

Thank you Errashareesh

It is a frightening thought though, a doctor who could use a slip of the tongue or the wrong comment could end up being vilified for their "ignorance"...in regards to both trans women and trans men.

Its like everyone has to adapt to their philosophy or be branded some sort of transphobe or some other derogatory name.

LLMMLL wrote: »
    I've had that debate probably at least 3 times and responded extensively. If you search under my username for keywords such as "definition" you'll find probably 100+ posts I've made on the issue.

I don't have the time these days to have the exact same debate a 4th or 5th time. But feel free to read my older posts.

Near 99% of those posts will be you refusing to define the term, stating that you don't use 'exclusionary' definitions (which rather misses the point of what a definition is supposed to be).

Or talking of 'tables of exemplars' which likewise is not a definition.

Or stating 'transwomen are women' which is also not a definition.

Gruffalux wrote: »
    LLMMLL coined the phrase transfemale. And stands by it. That says enough.

I still laugh every time I read it. 'Trans-female'. It's actually gas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I’m sorry to hear that and I hope you are doing Ok.

Hanging in there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

I get the impression he hates "real "women, whilst trying to tell us transwomen are real women.....the same real women he attacks.

you could not make this up....it would be funny if it were not so disturbingly wrong and evil.

I've blocked that poster so only see his messages when you quote him.

Of course it's completely untrue. Graham Linehan is clearly a TERF and I've no idea what gender most posters identify as apart from a small few.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

It is an conundrum that has yet to be ironed out.
    The simple fact is that a persons gender/sex with respect to their health is only, and will only, ever be Male or female - if it’s pertinent. In most health conditions; there is a female male divide that would need to be noted. Even those who want to transition and go to a gender clinic will be assessed on the basis of what their current sex is and what it is they want to be if they want to be given hormones - you couldn’t do it any other way.

You’ll address a patient in any respectful fashion that they wish to be addressed as. Any mistakes will be acknowledged and an apology given.

Male female wards however is another kettle of fish.

I dare say someone who receives the horrendous news that they have cancer would probably stop caring so much about being referred to as though their biological sex is not actually what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

I dare say someone who receives the horrendous news that they have cancer would probably stop caring so much about being referred to as though their biological sex is not actually what it is.

I wouldn’t be so sure about that. But then what would I know - I’m not someone with gender dysphoria who was diagnosed with a cancer somewhat specific to the gender that they don’t want to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Please don't turn into a peeing contest

• Advertisement

karlitob wrote: »
    I wouldn’t be so sure about that. But then what would I know - I’m not someone with gender dysphoria who was diagnosed with a cancer somewhat specific to the gender that they don’t want to be.
    No doubt they'd continue to identify as the gender they identify as - fair enough - but maybe realise that there are far worse things than the "obscenity" of people saying trans women are trans women but not women.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement