Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J. K. Rowling is cancelled because she is a T.E.R.F [ADMIN WARNING IN POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I disagree. And of course the title could just be “Women with periods” instead of “Women and girls with periods” because girls are well aware that they will very soon be women and in reproductive terms, they already are women.
    Well, if we're crediting them with that modicum of intellect, then they should also be able to grasp that they are people..

Why would it be limited to people from that geographical location? Transmen are female so naturally they menstruate or at least had the potential to.

I think its to do some.cultural/mythogical thing and kinda looked up to.out there with thousands of years....possibly some god or something like that???

Id be lying if i claimed to know enough to speak with autority on subject,but worked with and used drink with a lot of islanders etc when i younger and that was what i picked up from.them....the drunk lad from hawai explained it best

(Which blows all sorts of holes in general western trans movement debate tbh as it points to cultural/outside influences on people)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

It's funny how we never have this problem when describing men. We don't hear men called people with prostate or testicular cancer, or sperm producers. We also never hear about gay men being pressured into accepting male vaginas into their dating pool, whereas lesbians have to accept penises. Like most things in this debate it is women who have to give up something to accommodate men, and it is men who are at the forefront in the attack against women who speak out. If you look at the replies to J.K. Rowlings tweets last night, there is a very common thread of males abusing and threatening her and wishing her dead. A huge part of this is simple old misogyny dressed up and camouflaged as wokeism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Ficheall wrote: »
    No, the gender was not the point I was making. But fine...
    "An epidural for people who give birth", "A pamphlet for people who play with their testicles", "A support-group for people who have had their prostate removed."
    Would these titles benefit by being assigned to women/men? Not really.

Would you change the ball-playing pamphlet to "A pamphlet for men who play with their testicles?" Or "A pamphlet for boys who play with their testicles?"

Or some sort of amalgamation of the two? "A pamphlet for men and boys who play with their testicles"? That one is not a good title.

"People" is a harmless catch-all. Would you not agree?

When càn the words woman or man be used in this harmless but non specific world you advocate?

In medical school when the professors train the students and the image, model or cadaver has a uterus should the professor say this is a body / image of a person with a uterus, or can they say a woman. If cadaver has a penis, should the professor say the body of the person with the penis or can they say the man?

When little Johnnie wants to know where do babies come from will their parent say Well little Johnnie a person with a penis really loves a person with a vagina and together they make a baby inside the person with a uterus, that is to say if the person with the uterus is fertile and is a person who regularly menstruates. If the person who menstruates is not regular they may have to see a person who helps to regulate people who have problems with menstrual cycles, Johnnie. Also let us not forget, little person with a penis, that the person who ejaculates may have a low sperm count and might have to seek treatment for people with penises who have fertility issues. But all going well, the person who ejaculates may get lucky and then the person with the vagina delivers the baby who is either a new person with a penis or a new person with a vagina. The person with the uterus may also be the person who chestfeeds the new baby person with either the vagina or penis.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Well, if we're crediting them with that modicum of intellect, then they should also be able to grasp that they are people..

It goes without saying that we are all people. Menstruation however is an exclusively female issue and that shouldn’t be obfuscated. Not all females menstruate but NO males do. And receiving a backlash for stating that is ‘through the looking glass’ level stuff.

• Advertisement

Dante7 wrote: »
    It's funny how we never have this problem when describing men. We don't hear men called people with prostate or testicular cancer, or sperm producers. We also never hear about gay men being pressured into accepting male vaginas into their dating pool, whereas lesbians have to accept penises. Like most things in this debate it is women who have to give up something to accommodate men, and it is men who are at the forefront in the attack against women who speak out. If you look at the replies to J.K. Rowlings tweets last night, there is a very common thread of males abusing and threatening her and wishing her dead. A huge part of this is simple old misogyny dressed up and camouflaged as wokeism.

Indeed. And that’s why there seems to be many other, more moderate men in these debates saying “I don’t see what the harm is” and “Can’t we all just be nice to one another?”. They have no skin in the game so it’s easy for them to shrug their shoulders about it.

Controlling language is a very important part of ideological power grabs. Language and the proper meaning of words is essential for personal freedom. Take away the true meaning of words and you start to exercise social control over individuals. 2 + 2 = 5.

Perhaps we should make the progressive ideological leap into the obliteration of true meaning and not use the word people at all. Comrades, I suggest, has always been a favourite term, historically. Our comrades with wombs providing reproductive service. Why fcuk around with a lengthy deconstruction?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

I love how the same people that called a trans group grooming paedophiles in a previous thread now think JK Rowling is being "bullied" when people imply children would be unsafe with her.

Do ye have any self awareness?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Yes, they would. Public health information and journalism in relation to it should be clear, concise and factual. Sex-specific public health information especially should be in order to reach the people who need to see it. It matters a lot. So no, I would not agree.

The arguments in favour of this obfuscating language tend to be along the lines of “Ah sure, what’s the harm?”. And often from people with no skin in the game.

The HSE web page for cervical cancer has not a single use of the words "woman" or "female". We are "people with a cervix". The page for prostate cancer has no problem using "men". Its only woman thats a dirty word these days. Women and their bodily functions being seen as shameful, and women chastised (and threatened with violence, rape and murder, with a particular penchant for talking about setting us on fire, witch!) for talking about them in a non approved manner, nothing new there. Clearly we haven't moved on as much as we thought.

LLMMLL wrote: »
    I love how the same people that called a trans group grooming paedophiles in a previous thread now think JK Rowling is being "bullied" when people imply children would be unsafe with her.

Name those people directly LLMMLL and link to their posts or else stop telling lies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,510 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'm sure they do and are able to distinguish between both as they are not really comparable.

is JK Rowling organising swim sessions for 8-25 year olds now with tops optional for female participants?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,510 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It goes without saying that we are all people. Menstruation however is an exclusively female issue and that shouldn’t be obfuscated. Not all females menstruate but NO males do. And receiving a backlash for stating that is ‘through the looking glass’ level stuff.

Well, if a male thinks he is menstruating, he should urgently see a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,174 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    The HSE web page for cervical cancer has not a single use of the words "woman" or "female".

I think you made that up.
    Every year in Ireland about 300 people get cervical cancer. 90 women die from it.

In women aged 25 to 39 years, cervical cancer is the second most common cause of death due to cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Yes, they would. Public health information and journalism in relation to it should be clear, concise and factual. Sex-specific public health information especially should be in order to reach the people who need to see it. It matters a lot. So no, I would not agree.

The article wasn’t portraying itself as sex specific public health information though? It clarifies who it is referring to right there in the article, indeed as you suggest, the people who need to see it, and now thanks to JK’s latest shooting herself in the foot, the organisation has the kind of publicity for their message that no amount of money could buy -

An estimated 1.8 billion girls, women, and gender non-binary persons menstruate, and this has not stopped because of the pandemic. They still require menstrual materials, safe access to toilets, soap, water, and private spaces in the face of lockdown living conditions that have eliminated privacy for many populations.

You of course may well refer to them as women, but then you’re missing the point that those people themselves, do not. It’s still an absolute priority that they are able to practice proper menstrual health and safety and have access to hygiene products and facilities. It matters a lot, except when JK decides to take the piss out of it, undermining the efforts of the organisation.

The arguments in favour of this obfuscating language tend to be along the lines of “Ah sure, what’s the harm?”. And often from people with no skin in the game.

I’m with you on that one, but the article JK cites as an example of it just isn’t a very good one. If she had however cited the example of inviting biological males for smear tests, then that’s an example of wasting public resources irresponsibly. The NHS site btw refers to -

All women and people with a cervix aged 25 to 64 should be invited by letter.

By way of acknowledging as an issue of public health, the cohort of biological females who identify themselves as men. The understanding of course is that there are people who do not identify themselves as women or female, who still must have cervical tests done. An example of the obfuscation of language would be the claim that women have a prostate, and therefore it could be argued that providing prostate screening for women should be a priority -

Can women get prostate cancer?

Doesn’t matter that even if it is accepted that women can develop prostate cancer, it’s extremely rare -

Researchers have discovered that the Skene glands share some of the same properties as the male prostate, which is located between the bladder and the penis. For example, both the prostate and the Skene glands contain prostate-specific antigen (PSA) and PSA phosphatase (PSAP), which are enzymes that can indicate the health of the prostate in males.

The discovery that these glands have similarities has led to the use of the term “female prostate.”

So, in a sense, females do have prostates, and female prostate cancer is technically possible. It is, however, extremely rare.

Another good example of an attempt to obfuscate language is the case of the Guardian journalist Freddie McConnell, who gave birth and lost his latest appeal to be named as his child’s father on the birth certificate -

Trans man who gave birth loses latest appeal to be known as his child's father

JK’s latest effort to gain notoriety on social media? She isn’t even at the races when it comes to this stuff, but luckily for anyone else, I do not assume JK represents anyone else’s interests but her own. If she was asked for permission to read her books at a drag story hour event I’ve no doubt she’d jump at the chance for some publicity.

Pherekydes wrote: »

Lol, I was sure last time I looked at it there weren't any. OK, those are the only 2 incidents of the word. The rest is people, people who have a cervix. How many times is "men" mentioned in the prostate cancer page?

Well, if a male thinks he is menstruating, he should urgently see a doctor.

Indeed.

Good, they’ve updated it so. Sense prevails.

Rowling was called unsafe around children because of her support of Maya Forstater. (Her typo tweet came later).

In that other thread, people were pointing out obvious red flags in a swimming club advertisement.

If you can’t see the difference, I wouldn’t be lecturing anyone else about awareness, self or otherwise, there LLMMLL.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    is JK Rowling organising swim sessions for 8-25 year olds now with tops optional for female participants?

Oh you can always justify your own reasons for calling people paedophiles ( I mean you had to pretend parents were told to drop their children off and we're forbidden from attending to do so). Just as those implying children are unsafe around JKR have theirs. I think you are now seeing the effect of your own hysteria when it's directed at people you support.

I'd like to think youd learn a lesson from this but I won't hold my breath.

Ceadoin makes a lot of stuff up. She never lets the truth get in the way of a good lie. Apparently meeting point and drop off point are the same thing too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

No, the gender was not the point I was making. But fine...
    "An epidural for people who give birth", "A pamphlet for people who play with their testicles", "A support-group for people who have had their prostate removed."
    Would these titles benefit by being assigned to women/men? Not really.

Would you change the ball-playing pamphlet to "A pamphlet for men who play with their testicles?" Or "A pamphlet for boys who play with their testicles?"

Or some sort of amalgamation of the two? "A pamphlet for men and boys who play with their testicles"? That one is not a good title.

"People" is a harmless catch-all. Would you not agree?

No.

I think the issue about menstruation is that for so long it was seen as a taboo, something for men to make crude locker-room references to.

Attaching the word strongly to 'women', rather than 'people' was a way of empowering women - the only ones who experience it - to reject those sh1tty attitudes towards that aspect of their bodies and lives. And for it to be considered as something natural, normal, and something experienced by everyone's mother, sister, daughter.

'People' is a dismissal of that truth. A diminution of the progress that has been made in terms of those perceptions.

'People' is not a harmless catch-call, nor is it intended to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Moghead

Gruffalox wrote: »
    One of my kids expressed gender differently for most of their childhood. We said and did nothing about it. No rainbow swathed shoots for Instagram or tearful interviews to the Daily Mail, no "So Proud" facebook posts cuddling them in tutus for the likes, no reinforcement, no neurosis, no making it in anyway anything out of the ordinary. It was normal human expression of a normal facet of human nature. To be honest we never batted an eyelid nor even mentioned it beyond in domestic terms of endearment and then very rarely. It simply was a non issue. Puberty roared in and the ducks were lined up in their natural row. Result -Intact healthy child, no meds, no obsession, happy in their skin, a kid who never gave a second thought to deconstructionist ideologies like " gender identity". The fcuking amount of young lives being ruined by the present sh1tshow is highly disturbing to me. A barbaric regressive tragedy.

What if your child didn't grow out of it? Would you be support them and stand by them if they wanted to change gender?

I asked this earlier today in response to your quoted post, you may not have seen it. Any chance you'd reply please?

Moghead wrote: »
    What if your child didn't grow out of it? Would you be support them and stand by them if they wanted to change gender?

I asked this earlier today in response to your quoted post, you may not have seen it. Any chance you'd reply please?

At the stage of maturity a person can do what they wish.
    As long as they do not compromise another or others to do it.

Honing in on boyish girls or girlish boys and not only making it a neurotic issue for them but using experimental treatments on them is barbaric. Full stop.

No.

I think the issue about menstruation is that for so long it was seen as a taboo, something for men to make crude locker-room references to.

Attaching the word strongly to 'women', rather than 'people' was a way of empowering women - the only ones who experience it - to reject those sh1tty attitudes towards that aspect of their bodies and lives. And for it to be considered as something natural, normal, and something experienced by everyone's mother, sister, daughter.

'People' is a dismissal of that truth. A diminution of the progress that has been made in terms of those perceptions.

'People' is not a harmless catch-call, nor is it intended to be.

Well that’s a crock of... look, the latest advertising campaign in the UK for a particular feminine hygiene product has been described by many women as vulgar, and all sorts of other terms that indicate that no, it’s not just men who consider this stuff vulgar, just as many, if not more women do too. This is the particular campaign in question -

The most popular comment sums it up really -

This is easily one of the worst adverts I have ever seen. It’s cringe from start to finish, tacky and feels out of touch. Dire

I cannot for the life of me see how “attaching the word strongly to women” is the least bit “empowering”. People are no doubt familiar with the process, it’s being taught to young boys in classrooms now too as part of SPHE. Sure, it’s a natural and normal biological process, but the taboo exists for good reason - because not everyone wants to talk about their normal and natural biological processes, and certainly not too many people want to hear about them.

It’s nothing to do with women feeling ashamed of their own bodies or anything else (Jesus the irony that you would even use that as an argument), it’s simply that it’s one of the many things people simply don’t want to talk about, and don’t want other people knowing about either, and more to the point they simply have no interest in talking or hearing about it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Ceadoin makes a lot of stuff up. She never lets the truth get in the way of a good lie. Apparently meeting point and drop off point are the same thing too.

Mod: If you can't argue the point without getting a dig in, don't post.

Well that’s a crock of... look, the latest advertising campaign in the UK for a particular feminine hygiene product has been described by many women as vulgar, and all sorts of other terms that indicate that no, it’s not just men who consider this stuff vulgar, just as many, if not more women do too. This is the particular campaign in question -

The most popular comment sums it up really -

This is easily one of the worst adverts I have ever seen. It’s cringe from start to finish, tacky and feels out of touch. Dire

I cannot for the life of me see how “attaching the word strongly to women” is the least bit “empowering”. People are no doubt familiar with the process, it’s being taught to young boys in classrooms now too as part of SPHE. Sure, it’s a natural and normal biological process, but the taboo exists for good reason - because not everyone wants to talk about their normal and natural biological processes, and certainly not too many people want to hear about them.

It’s nothing to do with women feeling ashamed of their own bodies or anything else (Jesus the irony that you would even use that as an argument), it’s simply that it’s one of the many things people simply don’t want to talk about, and don’t want other people knowing about either, and more to the point they simply have no interest in talking or hearing about it themselves.

So a silly contemporary advert somehow invalidates a long social movement away from the idea of menstrual blood as unclean or taboo and means women don't talk about icky things? Are you a long jumper by profession or is it just a hobby, Jack? ;)

So a silly contemporary advert somehow invalidates a long social movement away from the idea of menstrual blood as unclean or taboo and means women don't talk about icky things? Are you a long jumper by profession or is it just a hobby, Jack? ;)

More of a hobby, not that I’d be wanting to compete in the women’s long jumping events in any case, you’re fairly safe on that score Gruffalox :p

No, my point was simply that contrary to that posters opinion that mensuration was something women were ashamed of or anything else as the reason it’s not something they talk about in normal conversation, is nonsense. Women don’t talk about mensuration for the same reason they don’t talk about plenty of bodily functions - because it’s simply considered vulgar and inappropriate to do so.

I genuinely can’t see how associating bodily functions like mensuration with women is the least bit “empowering”, or encouraging women to talk about their hygiene practices is empowering. I’m certainly not alone in that view, and it’s certainly not because I’m a man that I don’t understand it either. I know of only a handful of women who have tried to bring up the discussion with me, precisely because they were aware I was uncomfortable with the topic, and they found my discomfort amusing. They sure as hell weren’t doing it as part of any long standing social movement. They knew I was about as interested in hearing about it as I was their perfectly normal and natural bowel movements.

Describing anything as normal and natural doesn’t immediately validate it as an acceptable topic of conversation.

More of a hobby, not that I’d be wanting to compete in the women’s long jumping events in any case, you’re fairly safe on that score Gruffalox :p

No, my point was simply that contrary to that posters opinion that mensuration was something women were ashamed of or anything else as the reason it’s not something they talk about in normal conversation, is nonsense. Women don’t talk about mensuration for the same reason they don’t talk about plenty of bodily functions - because it’s simply considered vulgar and inappropriate to do so.

I genuinely can’t see how associating bodily functions like mensuration with women is the least bit “empowering”, or encouraging women to talk about their hygiene practices is empowering. I’m certainly not alone in that view, and it’s certainly not because I’m a man that I don’t understand it either. I know of only a handful of women who have tried to bring up the discussion with me, precisely because they were aware I was uncomfortable with the topic, and they found my discomfort amusing. They sure as hell weren’t doing it as part of any long standing social movement. They knew I was about as interested in hearing about it as I was their perfectly normal and natural bowel movements.

Describing anything as normal and natural doesn’t immediately validate it as an acceptable topic of conversation.

In my experience, women do talk about menstruation amongst themselves and it generally isn't considered "vulgar". Not sure where you're getting the idea from that we dont.

It's menstruation. And we do talk about it. In hoarse whispers. By the flicker of campfires. Hunched over with our witch hair trailing down our faces. Gory battle tales of profuse rivers of blood, soft furnishings ruined and the passage of huge clots that would kill a man stone dead. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Controlling language is a very important part of ideological power grabs. Language and the proper meaning of words is essential for personal freedom. Take away the true meaning of words and you start to exercise social control over individuals. 2 + 2 = 5.

Perhaps we should make the progressive ideological leap into the obliteration of true meaning and not use the word people at all. Comrades, I suggest, has always been a favourite term, historically. Our comrades with wombs providing reproductive service. Why fcuk around with a lengthy deconstruction?

You seem concerned about words and their true meaning. Are you suggesting below, had they continued to express gender differently, past puberty, and into adulthood, it would be unnatural?
    One of my kids expressed gender differently for most of their childhood. We said and did nothing about it. No rainbow swathed shoots for Instagram or tearful interviews to the Daily Mail, no "So Proud" facebook posts cuddling them in tutus for the likes, no reinforcement, no neurosis, no making it in anyway anything out of the ordinary. It was normal human expression of a normal facet of human nature. To be honest we never batted an eyelid nor even mentioned it beyond in domestic terms of endearment and then very rarely. It simply was a non issue. Puberty roared in and the ducks were lined up in their natural row. Result -Intact healthy child, no meds, no obsession, happy in their skin, a kid who never gave a second thought to deconstructionist ideologies like " gender identity". The fcuking amount of young lives being ruined by the present sh1tshow is highly disturbing to me. A barbaric regressive tragedy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement