Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J. K. Rowling is cancelled because she is a T.E.R.F [ADMIN WARNING IN POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Boyce is very erudite on the whole dangerous bull behind everything!
    This is his complete focus - the inherent pending current authoritarianism wrapping itself in easy labels.

Who'd have thunk history would repeat itself?

Her point re circular definitions circa starting ~8 mins 30 is so pertinent. We'd many pages trying to show why it is so ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Seems to have been removed now (tweet deleted). Did anyone get a copy of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 paddar

volchitsa wrote: »
    Seems to have been removed now (tweet deleted). Did anyone get a copy of it?

Here ya go. I think there is quite a few different ones with the same content ( i.e. gloating about smacking women on JKs Twitter).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

paddar wrote: »
    Helen Joyce is very interesting to listen to. If you have a spare hour her video on Gender, Journalism & Justice with Benjamin Boyce is well worth the time.

https://youtu.be/xaBzGoBfcOQ

Helen Joyce is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,955 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Debbie Hatton video clip

A perfect example of the respectability politics I mentioned earlier - saying everything that’s acceptable to their peers, seeking their approval and assimilation into their fold, but anyone outside of that fold is “quasi religious” apparently?

Debbie isn’t doing anything different to the founders of the women’s liberation movement, only that the Virgin Mary didn’t feature at all in their literature appealing to the ultimate moral authority of God, a distinctly male figure of authority, while they campaigned against the imaginary idea of the Patriarchy. Debbie has simply replaced one moral authority for another in the hopes of being accepted as less than, but only slightly better than nothing, never equal.

Debbie claiming that if the thought police want to come and get her they can, while they’re standing in front of a “Labour Women’s Declaration” banner, having signed the declaration openly in their own name, and giving it welly with the same old irony laden rhetoric -

“Trans women are male”, while less than a minute later, speaking of the term non-binary - “it’s not liberating, it’s restrictive, it creates new categories to constrain us, let people be for goodness sake...”

Let people be, as long as they conform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,815 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Gruffalox wrote: »
    Joey, I have 2 degrees in Law so for future reference do not accuse me on a public forum in a defamatory way.

Where’d you get them, were they giving them out with cornflake “tokens”?

Not sure you’d get anywhere with a defamation case to do with an “anonymous” message board, anyway.

Also, I’m not 100% sure, but I do believe legal “threats” are against the site rules. Or, if they aren’t addressed specifically, they’re certainly frowned upon.

Might be an idea to “withdraw” that one. Safety first, and all that.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

complete with phallic reference

Not sure you’d get anywhere with a defamation case to do with an “anonymous” message board, anyway.

Also, I’m not 100% sure, but I do believe legal “threats” are against the site rules. Or, if they aren’t addressed specifically, they’re certainly frowned upon.

Another fantastic contribution. Tbh I preferred you when you were whore liking other people's posts whilst contributing nothing yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

I stand by my statement to Joey the Parrot not to continue to casually defame me with accusations of homophobia. Joey is very casual in doling out the slander - calling a perfectly respectable widely supported rights group for lesbians, gays and bisexuals a "hate group". Joey should not be allowed get away with his regular and casual maligning of others - individuals or organisations - and if it means that I would be banned by rightfully standing up to his bullying so be it.
    You don't frighten me either, Emmet, with your bullying.

Another fantastic contribution. Tbh I preferred you when you were whore liking other people's posts whilst contributing nothing yourself.

Sure, let him off. The lashing out and contributing precisely nothing of value to the thread neatly demonstrates his scanty knowledge on this topic and the weakness of his position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

ah now, calling it "bullying" is going a bit far, and its not something the mods take lightly, either the bullying or the accusation ...

ah now, calling it "bullying" is going a bit far, and its not something the mods take lightly, either the bullying or the accusation ...

So Joey can call me a homophobe. And I can not stand up for myself ?
    And another warning by a passerby?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,815 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I stand by my statement to Joey the Parrot not to continue to casually defame me with accusations of homophobia. Joey is very casual in doling out the slander - calling a perfectly respectable widely supported rights group for lesbians, gays and bisexuals a "hate group". Joey should not be allowed get away with his regular and casual maligning of others - individuals or organisations - and if it means that I would be banned by rightfully standing up to his bullying so be it.

Listen, G, I can see that you’re new to the site so I’ll put you wise, there’s a thing called the “report button” there under posts.

Before you got threatening legal “proceedings” on any other users you should, if you feel abused, or unjustly maligned, click on that and let the mods know.

It’s not a practice I engage myself, I did once early on and didn’t hear back so felt it was, somewhat, “fruitless” but you should give it a go. It does work for others.

All that happens if you retaliate with things, like legal “threats”, is that you end up being the one who gets “punished”. It may not by fair but that’s the way it’s done.

I’ll leave off any defamation “cases” for that bully remark, I can tell it was something said in the heat of anger and, as such, not really meant.

Might be an idea to “chill out” a bit, turn off the pc, stretch your legs and maybe enjoy the soccer. It’s back on and “free to air”.

That goes for some of the rest of you too. What is it now, day 4 or 5, of day and night “trans bashing”? Your stamina is commendable but I do worry that there’ll be some “burnout” coming. That level of, prolonged, hate can’t be good for you.

Stay safe, amigos. And remember what a great philosopher once said ‘it’s nice to be important, but it’s more important to be nice’.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Listen, G, I can see that you’re new to the site so I’ll put you wise, there’s a thing called the “report button” there under posts.

Before you got threatening legal “proceedings” on any other users you should, if you feel abused, or unjustly maligned, click on that and let the mods know.

It’s not a practice I engage myself, I did once early on and didn’t hear back so felt it was, somewhat, “fruitless” but you should give it a go. It does work for others.

All that happens if you retaliate with things, like legal “threats”, is that you end up being the one who gets “punished”. It may not by fair but that’s the way it’s done.

I’ll leave off any defamation “cases” for that bully remark, I can tell it was something said in the heat of anger and, as such, not really meant.

Might be an idea to “chill out” a bit, turn off the pc, stretch your legs and maybe enjoy the soccer. It’s back on and “free to air”.

That goes for some of the rest of you too. What is it now, day 4 or 5, of day and night “trans bashing”? Your stamina is commendable but I do worry that there’ll be some “burnout” coming. That level of, prolonged, hate can’t be good for you.

Stay safe, amigos. And remember what a great philosopher once said ‘it’s nice to be important, but it’s more important to be nice’.

There is no "trans-bashing" going on.

He knows that

Gosh, you use commas so beautifully, Emmet. Really lovely construction there. Tears to the eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Scooter, wasn't it?

Yes because saying women can menustrate is equivalent to the abuse she's received online. You clearly have a stong dislike of the women, I don't really understand why, but you do. Again only women can menustrate. That is a simple fact, it is not hateful.

I’m still trying to figure out if you mean I have a strong dislike of women, including those women who don’t menstruate, or do you mean people who do not refer to themselves as women, who also menstruate?

Is it only JK that you’ll allow say whatever she likes about whoever she likes, or are you including yourself on that list too à la Debbie Hayton, the useful idiot who will be reminded of their place during lunchtime at that conference where they were given a platform? All the ladies will be congregating for their own meeting in the ladies, Debbie will be reminded that they must use the gents.

“Special guest” appearance by Graham Linehan.

He knows that

Indeed. Because this thread would have been long since closed if there was.

And he’s only getting the same few paltry ‘Thanks’ from the usual punters. LOL.

I’m still trying to figure out if you mean I have a strong dislike of women, including those women who don’t menstruate, or do you mean people who do not refer to themselves as women, who also menstruate?

I said 'the woman', in reference to JK.
    Is it only JK that you’ll allow say whatever she likes about whoever she likes, or are you including yourself on that list too à la Debbie Hayton, the useful idiot who will be reminded of their place during lunchtime at that conference where they were given a platform? All the ladies will be congregating for their own meeting in the ladies, Debbie will be reminded that they must use the gents.

“Special guest” appearance by Graham Linehan.

I've literally no idea why you have brought up Debbie Hayton. I suggest you set up a blog and moan about all the people you hate on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 paddar

If you want to depress yourself. Remember these are comments under kids drawings. But it's open season on TERFs right? And she is evil and probably asking for it or something.
    https://medium.com/@hatpinwoman/one-more-boundary-refused-5052a180fd62

If you want to depress yourself. Remember these are comments under kids drawings. But it's open season on TERFs right? And she is evil and probably asking for it or something.

I have seen some of the comments posted during the day. One was under a photo posted by a little girl who had made iced novelty biscuits and the reply was I bet they tasted like piles of sh1t. The children posting their drawings are from 3 upwards and the replies to JKs admiration of their art are vile. The comments are absolutely unbelievable - and all supposedly in honour of a rights movement. I do not know how Rowling does not feel scared, sickened, anxious, depressed, hurt etc by the wicked malevolence being literally heaped upon her. I know I get quite hurt by the accusations posted to me like terf, transphobe, homophobe, hater, bigot, irrelevant etc but it is miniscule compared to what Rowling is being forced to endure on a public platform. It is abominable.

I have seem some of the comments posted during the day. One was under a photo posted by a little girl who had made iced novelty biscuits and the reply was I bet they tasted like piles of sh1t. The children posting their drawings are from 3 upwards and the replies to JKs admiration of their art are vile. The comments are absolutely unbelievable - and all supposedly in honour of a rights movement. I do not know how Rowling does not feel scared, sickened, anxious, depressed, hurt etc by the wicked malevolence being literally heaped upon her. I know I get quite hurt by the accusations posted to me like terf, transphobe, homophobe, hater, bigot, irrelevant etc but it is miniscule compared to what Rowling is being forced to endure on a piblic platform. It is abominable.

And this is apparently from people on #therightsideofhistory.

Rowling has done a great job of exposing such ugliness.

And this is apparently from people on #therightsideofhistory.

Rowling has done a great job of exposing such ugliness.

I know, yeah, hopefully. But to be honest it is depressing to see the volume of awfulness. I dont know how she stays so perky and genuinely warm and engaged with the children posting.

I said 'the woman', in reference to JK.

I wasn’t imagining it you know -

Yes because saying women can menustrate is equivalent to the abuse she's received online. You clearly have a stong dislike of the women, I don't really understand why, but you do. Again only women can menustrate. That is a simple fact, it is not hateful.

I've literally no idea why you have brought up Debbie Hayton. I suggest you set up a blog and moan about all the people you hate on that.

‘Twas posted by suicide circus earlier, video dump essentially, no opinion attached. I wasn’t entirely sure of the point suicide circus was making but from the context of their posts in this thread, I figured they were presenting Debbie Hayton as an authority on the matter who supports their point of view. That could only work if we were both agreed that Debbie is indeed an objective authority on the matter.

By their own standards, Debbies opinions carry as much weight as anyone else’s, seeing as they make the point that was obvious to anyone already that people disagree with each other, even among themselves, and people agree on some things, and disagree on others. Their presentation as some sort of a definitive authority is about as useful to their political cause as Paddy Manning was to anyone during the marriage equality referendum.

As it happens, I’m watching Horrible Histories right now, and the attached image made me think of this thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Honestly I am just glad the insipid worship of JK is over.

Honestly I am just glad the insipid worship of JK is over.

Personally wasn’t a fan myself but she has gained much admiration from me in the last few weeks. So she may have lost fans but she has gained others. And what is driving her lost fans so mad is that she IS so popular. This wasn’t in the script. She was supposed to support them 100%. Hurt fee fees all round.

‘‘Twas posted by suicide circus earlier, video dump essentially, no opinion attached. I wasn’t entirely sure of the point suicide circus was making but from the context of their posts in this thread, I figured they were presenting Debbie Hayton as an authority on the matter who supports their point of view. That could only work if we were both agreed that Debbie is indeed an objective authority on the matter.

By their own standards, Debbies opinions carry as much weight as anyone else’s, seeing as they make the point that was obvious to anyone already that people disagree with each other, even among themselves, and people agree on some things, and disagree on others. Their presentation as some sort of a definitive authority is about as useful to their political cause as Paddy Manning was to anyone during the marriage equality referendum.

As it happens, I’m watching Horrible Histories right now, and the attached image made me think of this thread :D

are you "an objective authority on the matter"? Posting walls of text in a vain attempting to hide a lack of substance or insight behind dross and verbiage is frankly tedious.

are you "an objective authority on the matter"? Posting walls of text in a vain attempting to hide a lack of substance or insight behind dross and verbiage is frankly tedious.

Of course not, nor did I ever claim any authority over other people either. I say people are perfectly free to use whatever terms they like to refer to whatever they want, and I’ll still understand what they mean. I may not agree with them, but I would never set out to humiliate people I disagree with either, because I’m fully aware that never in the history of humankind has attempting to humiliate people ever been a productive use of anyone’s time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

https://janeclarejones.com/2018/11/13/the-annals-of-the-terf-wars/

Long.
    Good format.
    Recognisable.
    Undeniable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement