Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J. K. Rowling is cancelled because she is a T.E.R.F [ADMIN WARNING IN POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

In spite of the fact that it's now been revealed that he engaged in manipulating the site?

But no, of course not, it was Graham who was the real victim all along!

Oh well, I think it's clear at this point that abuse against the right kind of people is acceptable to some here. Nice to see that "civility" apparently includes insulting trans people but after what I've seen over the last couple of pages, I'm not really surprised that the transphobes here have to lie about what they're doing.

''homophobes and transphobes are often very violent people who enjoy beating and murdering those they dislike.'' - BarnardsLoop's definition of transphobe from the Linehan thread.

Just in case anyone thinks it is a casual insult word that means nothing to the poster. The implication is astonishing. Often. Very Violent. Enjoy beating. And murdering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭BarnardsLoop

Well, I don't know what you would call using a phrase like "makey up gender" but to me it quite clearly appears designed to insult trans people. Look, being gay I've heard practically every homophobic insult you can imagine (and probably some you can't) and the similarity between homophobic and transphobic insults, in some cases, can be surprising.

People used to say we were "confused" or that it "wasn't natural". Some thought we were lying or "making it up".

And I'll just put this here for Gruffalox:
    Oooh, sorry! That's not the gotcha you seem to think it is. I did say they "often are" not "always" or just "are".

Oh and I'd hardly call three instances, "throwing around" but I suppose that's just what I get for being reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,955 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

A biro and a pen are two words for what is essentially the same non sentient item with the same function.

Woman and transwoman/man and trans man are not interchangeable because they are not two words for the same thing.

You and I might see it that way (hence why I just don’t use terms like “trans” before I refer to either a woman or a man), but other people who do not share our opinions don’t see it the same way we do. Trying to stop them from doing so is only more likely to encourage them.

Well, I don't know what you would call using a phrase like "makey up gender" but to me it quite clearly appears designed to insult trans people. Look, being gay I've heard practically every homophobic insult you can imagine (and probably some you can't) and the similarity between homophobic and transphobic insults, in some cases, can be surprising.

People used to say we were "confused" or that it "wasn't natural". Some thought we were lying or "making it up".

And I'll just put this here for Gruffalox:

For being called out for calling people transphobes which you described as people who ''often are violent and enjoy beating up and murdering people they dislike'' you are going to try and fall back as an excuse on the poor me tales?

For deliberately misinterpreting what someone said so you can score some cheap points you're going to lecture me? Pull the other one.

• Advertisement

For deliberately misinterpreting what someone said so you can score some cheap points you're going to lecture me? Pull the other one.

I directly quoted you. That's all.

And you attached your own, twisted, interpretation of what I said. Because I dared to go against the "trans people BAD" circlejerk you lot have going on here and you needed some ammunition to use against me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Look, being gay I've heard practically every homophobic insult you can imagine (and probably some you can't) and the similarity between homophobic and transphobic insults, in some cases, can be surprising.

:

Being gay is not the same thing as a biological man claiming he is a woman.

Indeed, correct me if I am wrong but was not a main insult directed at gay men the imputation that they really were female?

I'm sure there are gay men who identify for the reasons you claim with transmen. Just as I know gay men who find the whole conflation to be irritating or embarrassing. Quite a lot of conservative gay men you know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

More incredibly dangerous stuff.
    Many people dismissed the warnings from years ago.
    This is happening in our lifetimes.

https://cfe.ryerson.ca/blog/2020/06/academic-freedom-and-perceptions-harm

"Something very wrong has happened at the University of Alberta. A professor has been fired from part of her academic job for views on sex and gender that break with current orthodoxy.

In late March, Kathleen Lowrey, an associate professor at the University of Alberta, was asked to resign from her role as the Department of Anthropology’s associate chair, undergraduate programs, on the basis that one or more students had gone to the University’s Office of Safe Disclosure and Human Rights and the Dean of Students, André Costopolous, to complain about her without filing formal complaints. All Professor Lowrey has been told is that she is somehow making the learning environment “unsafe” for these students because she is a feminist who holds “gender critical” views. "

A crowdjustice funder to help take her employer and stonewalluk to an employment tribunal which had broken records for donations in a few hours - has been suspended due to mass co-ordinated complaints (from who??):
    https://twitter.com/BluskyeAllison/status/1276866769488052227?s=20

And you attached your own, twisted, interpretation of what I said. Because I dared to go against the "trans people BAD" circlejerk you lot have going on here and you needed some ammunition to use against me.

If you took the time to read the thread you will never find a place where I have said trans people BAD. Ever. You are the one who has come in here and called people transphobes. You are not the first. But you also gave an incredibly bizarre description of transphobes often being very violent and enjoying beating and murdering. I mean, come on. If I called you a bubblephobe here now and then went to a different thread and said bubblephobes are often very violent and enjoy murdering and beating, wouldn't you be a bit...
    hmmmm.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 paddar

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Meanwhile, real life continues in the many examples of peoples jobs and reputations being manipulated by 'charities'
    Here is more evidence stonewalluk (and counterparts in the West) are not the benign charity many think it is but rather a political queer theory lobby group as far away from it's actual purpose as can be.

The Little Red Book lobby and the fools who follow them - light is being shone on you.

https://twitter.com/BluskyeAllison/status/1276777523544801280
    https://www.crowdjustice.com/case/allison-baileys-case/

Unfortunately Alison Baileys crowdfounder to sue Stonewall has been taken down by the Crowdjustice site after reaching nearly £50 000 in under 6 hours.
    There were ''complaints''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Who here has said trans people are bad?

Are we reading the same thread?

For the most part here people have been debating in a very civil manner, even the ones on opposing sides.

Oh please, spare me the faux outrage. You know damn well that you're implying I meant everyone here I called transphobic I was calling violent when I obviously wasn't.

And yes, homophobes and transphobes are often violent people, as the many news stories of gay people, bi people, lesbians, and trans people being beaten and killed demonstrates. So cut out the ****ing sanctimony because you're not half as smart as you think you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Just seen Graham Linnehan has been banned off Twitter

He had gone a bit mad so not hugely surprising, I guess.

He highlighted a lot of worrying stuff and that was good but was very obsessed.

Oh please, spare me the faux outrage. You know damn well that you're implying I meant everyone here I called transphobic I was calling violent when I obviously wasn't.

And yes, homophobes and transphobes are often violent people, as the many news stories of gay people, bi people, lesbians, and trans people being beaten and killed demonstrates. So cut out the ****ing sanctimony because you're not half as smart as you think you are.

Arseholes are violent people, owing to the fact they are arseholes they can also be homophobic/transphobic. Anyone that beats and kills anyone simply because of their sexuality/gender is a violent asshole criminal and belongs behind bars.

Refusing to equate biological men/women with their trans counterparts is not transphobic.

I’m certainly not transphobic, homophobic, an arsehole or violent :)

Having a different opinion is important, you can’t just name call anyone who disagrees with your POV.

Oh sorry! We are the nice pretty polite transphobes, not the very violent ones who enjoy murdering people they dislike. Gosh, I was mixed up there for a minute. Thought you were casting aspersions. No, no. Please continue to call us trasnphobes, we should be delighted.

Oh, I'm sorry! Am I in the wrong thread? Is this not the one that has a warning on the first post against "labelling trans people as having mental issues / are paedophiles etc"? Well golly gee, I wonder why that had to be put there!

And of course, it's not like the pages since aren't filled with people pushing the envelope as far as they can within those constraints. Nope! All a nice, polite, respectful thread not full of people insulting trans people and anyone who supports them!

did all the people who told jk rowling to go die and choke on a dick get banned too?

This charming tweet remains:

https://twitter.com/benjaminokeefe/status/1269407681611280386?s=21

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    What's very interesting is that advertising boycotts was one of the major means of media control listed by Noam Chomsky in his excellent Manufacturing Consent. Of course at the time corporate interests were pushing a more traditional right message; whereas now it's more complex, but the fundamental truth of corporate power over the media is completely unchanged.

It’s interesting, 30 years ago, the right was more interested in curtailment of speech. Now it’s the left. The crazy left, mind. I lean left but feel totally alienated from that part of the spectrum.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    The good thing - finally the childish shouts of 'he's their leader' :rolleyes: crap is over.
    Because, no.

He never was.

Good point. There are actually many people on Twitter talking about this topic sensibly. Twitter will find it hard to ban them all.

• Advertisement

It will be the avalanche of claims from young people who as children were directly coached into using the right words to secure cross sex hormonal treatment which has irreversibly and adversely affected them that will be the undoing of this madness. The coaching is why some people use the word grooming.
    Groom - to prepare someone for a special job or activity: Cambridge Dictionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 paddar

Gruffalox wrote: »
    It will be the avalanche of claims from young people who as children were directly coached into using the right words to secure cross sex hormonal treatment which has irreversibly and adversely affected them that will be the undoing of this madness. The coaching is why some people use the word grooming.

This, unfortunately this! Sadly it will mean the effective sterilization of many Lesbian, Gay and gender non conforming kids in the mean time.

Off topic but was listening to Lisa Littman, the researcher who coined the term rapid onset gender dysphoria and who has been through the vilification mill as a result. Its obvious from listening to her that there is not a phobic bone in her body, she just cares about kids and realizes the potential damage the current climate is causing.

Long but interesting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7FI6_OKrzc

AFAIK, he was referring to it as a kind of societal grooming and when you see how many institutions have been captured, it’s easy to see where he’s coming from. Why did the NHS, until recently, claim that puberty blockers were fully reversible when they did not have the evidence to make that claim? It seems that they only changed that due to a legal action currently taking place. And that’s the goddamn health service of the UK!

paddar wrote: »
    This, unfortunately this! Sadly it will mean the effective sterilization of many Lesbian, Gay and gender non conforming kids in the mean time.

Off topic but was listening to Lisa Littman, the researcher who coined the term rapid onset gender dysphoria and who has been through the vilification mill as a result. Its obvious from listening to her that there is not a phobic bone in her body, she just cares about kids and realizes the potential damage the current climate is causing.

Long but interesting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7FI6_OKrzc

Any Dr that prescribes hormone blockers for a child is medically inept, negligent of care and warrants removal from any medical body to which they belong.

It is a reprehensible, irreparable abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,955 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

There won’t be any avalanche of claims of anything, just like there’s no avalanche of claims of people demanding reparations and compensation for what were perceived past injustices or injuries as a result of being raised according to their parents values. Grooming might as well then refer to all parents who choose to raise their children according to their own values, beliefs and standards.

Except that it is reasonable to assume when people are referring to grooming in the context of children, it takes on a far more nefarious meaning, more commonly associated with grooming children to commit sexual abuse against them. ‘Brainwashing’ just doesn’t have the same vitriol any more I guess.

AFAIK, he was referring to it as a kind of societal grooming and when you see how many institutions have been captured, it’s easy to see where he’s coming from. Why did the NHS, until recently, claim that puberty blockers were fully reversible when they did not have the evidence to make that claim? It seems that they only changed that due to a legal action currently taking place. And that’s the goddamn health service of the UK!

The use of the word grooming was silly and ill advised. A bit like you I was never into Linehan, I found him a bit off, just on a personal level, I couldn't listen to him. I do appreciate that he took a stand against the tide. The groomer word was a kind of meme evolution from the Ok Boomer meme, people would respond OK Groomer on Twitter to people pushing and coaching radical trans activism because those people were saying OK Boomer as a dismissive to arguments. A bit like how earlier in this thread some said it is an older and irrelevant demographic who oppose this. So the groomer thing grew out of that. Silly. There is the coaching aspect, like Mermaids and Stonewall UK having educational influence in schools on the subject of gender, pushing what is ideology not biology. So the grooming thing, in the sense of preparing or coaching, merged with the meme in opposition to that. This is how I see it, I never thought of the groomer thing as a paedophile reference.

Anyway, there are plenty of people who argue this whole area quite well or who think quietly for themselves without Glinner being supposedly the daddy of them all. He is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It will be the avalanche of claims from young people who as children were directly coached into using the right words to secure cross sex hormonal treatment which has irreversibly and adversely affected them that will be the undoing of this madness
    I foresee the priesthood and "allies" melting into the background when that happens

Anyway, there are plenty of people who argue this whole area quite well or who think quietly for themselves without Glinner being supposedly the daddy of them all. He is not.

Aye, indeed. There are lots of really sensible voices on this topic on Twitter and they will be much harder to ban. Linehan was inflammatory whereas these people are not. Him being gone will leave a bit of a void. Interesting to see how it’s filled. Going after other people as moderate as Rowling? That won’t be a good look.

Any Dr that prescribes hormone blockers for a child is medically inept, negligent of care and warrants removal from any medical body to which they belong.

It is a reprehensible, irreparable abuse.

Think a medical doctor might know more and better about such matters than some rando on Boards but what the hell, apparently that's a controversial thing to say around these parts.

I mean, have ye not stopped at any point to consider the possibility that maybe it's not the medical community that's wrong... it's just you?

• Advertisement

Think a medical doctor might know more and better about such matters than some rando on Boards but what the hell, apparently that's a controversial thing to say around these parts.

I mean, have ye not stopped at any point to consider the possibility that maybe it's not the medical community that's wrong... it's just you?

You know nothing of me or my background or my qualifications.

It’s interesting to note though that the first time you’ve responded to any of my quotes of your posts is to tell me a medical doctor knows more than me and my having an opinion that defends CHILDREN is above my pay grade. There wasn’t hide nor hair of a reply when I asked you who was being transphobic/abusive or when I outlined my reasons for believing that I’m none of those things.

If you think the prescription/administering of hormone blockers to children is ok then we’ll have no further interaction.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement