Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murphy's chip bar...

Options
  • 19-12-2019 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

I'm gonna go ahead and share my more than unusual experience.

Decided to order for collection for me and my friends (4 people, order worth around 30 euro approx.). I was in a house close to this chipper, about five minute walk. So the best thing to do is to ring the place, order and then just collect. Seems to be pretty straightforward task right?

This is where it gets somehow complicated and the ending is more than surprising. I ordered before over the phone two-three times and there was never a problem.

I am ringing the chipper but there is no answer. I guess they are busy, that's seems to be obviously the reason they are not answering. I try 4-5 times and still nothing.

So then I try again and still nothing. Seems to be a bit strange at this moment that they are not answering the phone at all in a space of 10 minutes...

At this stage I decide to go there and see for myself what's the situation. I walk in and see the following: one customer at the counter. Three members of staff. One at the back mixing something in a large pot, two women at the fryers. Apparently they have nothing to do.

As I am holding the phone in my hand I can hear their phone ringing at the back. Nobody cares. Woman #1 (with stupid looking fake eyelashes) asks me what I want to order. I told her that I am trying to ring them for like 10 minutes and I am asking her what's the story with that. She said "we are busy" ... I am baffled, I look around and tell her that it's obviously not busy at all and I wanted to order for collection 4 meals... she goes: "yeah, we are busy, do you want to order something"? I said no, at this stage I want to know where seems to be the problem, I don't want to order anything. It's not busy at all so why are you not answering the phone. I hear again: "we are busy" ...

I have one simple question for this woman. If you are reading this, the question is: Do you consider yourself normal?

Murphy's Chip bar
    76 Gerald Griffin street
    Cork city

Telephone number: 021 430 3708

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭paska

Nice rant. Did yo get your chips? Or just make a ham sambo?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Cool story bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

paska wrote: »
    Nice rant. Did yo get your chips? Or just make a ham sambo?

Thanks, glad you like it.

mean gene wrote: »
    Cool story bro.

Thanks, glad you like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Do they offer a 'ring-in' service?

Is it possible they have received phantom orders and therefore don't bother answering the phone anymore?

You seem very upset by this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Drugs are great

blindsider wrote: »
    Do they offer a 'ring-in' service?

Is it possible they have received phantom orders and therefore don't bother answering the phone anymore?

You seem very upset by this...

I ordered before like this, there was no problem.

It doesn't matter what they received before, you don't act stupid like this. If there was such an issue they can explain it to me. I simply asked why are they not picking up the phone and came across this monumental stupidity.

Stupidity and ignorance like this upsets me, yes. I really don't want to share this planet with idiots, but it's not like I have a choice do I? I mean if there's an option to move to another planet which isn't inhabited by degenerate imbeciles I'm definitely moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Diabhalta wrote: »

This is where it gets somehow complicated and the ending is more than surprising.

Still waiting for the surprise...you gonna share it soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Seriously you were offended because they didn't answer the phone.....

Why didn't you use justeat or Marvin or if so unhappy try another and get delivered.....

So what they weren't answering the phone they could have just finished up a busy period for a few minutes.

Just because not many are in doesn't mean they aren't busy with online orders and maybe possible they were short drivers....

Your attitude stank the minute you came in so I'd side with her and be glad to see you walk out....

• Advertisement

I was there, you weren't. They obviously weren't busy.

I don't have to convince anybody on the internet about anything. Like I said I SIMPLY asked what's seems to be the problem and they decided to act stupid. End of story. There's no more to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Just don't go back there again, seems like you'll miss them more than they you.

Diabhalta wrote: »
    I was there, you weren't. They obviously weren't busy.

I don't have to convince anybody on the internet about anything. Like I said I SIMPLY asked what's seems to be the problem and they decided to act stupid. End of story. There's no more to it.

Glad I wasn't....

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dubbrin

Nice chips in Murphy's

Don't know why you'd call it a 'chip bar' though.....

Is a chip bar where you can get a pint....

Is a chip bar where you can get a pint....

No. That's a pint bar

dubbrin wrote: »
    No. That's a pint bar

Ah now that makes a lot of sense.... Was just about to go to my local chip bar and ask for a pint with my chips and plain sausage....

Ah now that makes a lot of sense.... Was just about to go to my local chip bar and ask for a pint with my chips and plain sausage....

You'd have to ring in that size of an order in advance. There was a lad on earlier with some tips on how to approach that social nightmare

dubbrin wrote: »
    You'd have to ring in that size of an order in advance. There was a lad on earlier with some tips on how to approach that social nightmare

They won't answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

They won't answer.

Call in and give them an earful, that'll learn em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Is a chip bar somewhere we where get craft chips ?

You know small grown batch’s of spuds that are only picked when they say so, the chips are then cut by hand useing only cork steel and then the chips are frayed in oil from sun flowers that only cry on a Tuesday.

Then your food gets wrapped in newspaper and you get asked do you won’t pink salt as you know have to keep it hipster or rice vinger

Ohh and the guy makeing and frying your chips wears a paddy cap

This is what I think Murphy’s chip is

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

There's this eejit going around ringing chippers from the queue OP. They probably just didn't want to risk having to talk to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

I tried ringing them there, but no answer. They must be busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

I think the surprise is that OP didn't once mention the quality of the road/footpath surface during his journey to and from Murphys

xFROSTY Gx wrote: »
    I think the surprise is that OP didn't once mention the quality of the road/footpath surface during his journey to and from Murphys

Quite frosty I would expect a little like the answer he got.... Ba doom tish.....

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

What a thread :D

Reminds me of an old thread here about a Tesco trolley.

bot43 wrote: »
    What a thread :D

Reminds me of an old thread here about a Tesco trolley.

Oh I'm intrigued....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Yes, tell us the tale of the Tesco trolley.

Did it have a wonky wheel.... Or was there no coin in it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Basically some guy started a thread that a Tesco trolley was abandoned in his front yard. He didn’t know what to do as he felt if he returned it he would be accused of stealing it. Some youths tried to take it (thereby removing his problem) but he told them it wasn’t their property and to hop it.

He was roundly ridiculed and he closed his account. Boards fun police locked it because boards mods are, well, you know.

I’m only using my phone here so can’t find it as boards search function is rubbish.

Edit found it but won’t link for some reason.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057273083/1/#post91807902

Advertisement