Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murphy's chip bar...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Diabhalta wrote: »
    I'm gonna go ahead and share my more than unusual experience.

Decided to order for collection for me and my friends (4 people, order worth around 30 euro approx.). I was in a house close to this chipper, about five minute walk. So the best thing to do is to ring the place, order and then just collect. Seems to be pretty straightforward task right?

This is where it gets somehow complicated and the ending is more than surprising. I ordered before over the phone two-three times and there was never a problem.

I am ringing the chipper but there is no answer. I guess they are busy, that's seems to be obviously the reason they are not answering. I try 4-5 times and still nothing.

So then I try again and still nothing. Seems to be a bit strange at this moment that they are not answering the phone at all in a space of 10 minutes...

At this stage I decide to go there and see for myself what's the situation. I walk in and see the following: one customer at the counter. Three members of staff. One at the back mixing something in a large pot, two women at the fryers. Apparently they have nothing to do.

As I am holding the phone in my hand I can hear their phone ringing at the back. Nobody cares. Woman #1 (with stupid looking fake eyelashes) asks me what I want to order. I told her that I am trying to ring them for like 10 minutes and I am asking her what's the story with that. She said "we are busy" ... I am baffled, I look around and tell her that it's obviously not busy at all and I wanted to order for collection 4 meals... she goes: "yeah, we are busy, do you want to order something"? I said no, at this stage I want to know where seems to be the problem, I don't want to order anything. It's not busy at all so why are you not answering the phone. I hear again: "we are busy" ...

I have one simple question for this woman. If you are reading this, the question is: Do you consider yourself normal?

Murphy's Chip bar
    76 Gerald Griffin street
    Cork city

Telephone number: 021 430 3708

Had a similar experience in Dinos Bishopstown- though not ordering over the phone
    Waiting for at least 15/20 minutes (minimum)last year,3 Fridays in a row,3.55 approximately,not jointed maybe 4 in front of me,all the mon Irish working there are nice,but my God slowwwwwww,haven't got the take 4/5 orders at a time mastered yet( working there at least 3 years )emailed Dinos ,put a Paddy in charge for the next few weeks,all good,,,,,back to normal now,slowwwwwww, these girls though aren't lazy but mismanaged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Had a similar experience in Dinos Bishopstown- though not ordering over the phone
    Waiting for at least 15/20 minutes (minimum)last year,3 Fridays in a row,3.55 approximately,not jointed maybe 4 in front of me,all the mon Irish working there are nice,but my God slowwwwwww,haven't got the take 4/5 orders at a time mastered yet( working there at least 3 years )emailed Dinos ,put a Paddy in charge for the next few weeks,all good,,,,,back to normal now,slowwwwwww, these girls though aren't lazy but mismanaged

So the irish isnt the lazy feckless type in this story - wow!

Usually I find it takes a foreigner to get the work out the paddys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Lads what's the story with all this ordering over the phone? Just stroll down, place your order, interact with real human beings and collect your food. It'll take 10 minutes.
    I'm sure a place like Murphys doesnt need advance notice to feed four people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭Odelay

Lads what's the story with all this ordering over the phone? Just stroll down, place your order, interact with real human beings and collect your food. It'll take 10 minutes.

But then they won’t know you have a phone!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hello! Is there anybody out there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

This thread has actually made me want chips from Murphs now. :o

I'll phone in the order. Actually no I'll just drive there and collect. I hear when their very busy they don't pick up. But sure everyone knows that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Walk past Murphys regularly , only been in there once which was actually last wednesday, lovely food good service

Oh dear, think the thread is coming to an end....

I wanted to know what will happen the op.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Murphy’s food is mighty

Wouldn't know they won't answer the phone.... Hello is it me you're looking for....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

This.
    It was 5 mins away from the OP for godsakes. Was time so precious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

All that stainless steel in the kitchen creates a Faraday cage, phone reception would be very poor.

This tale has movie potential. Maybe even a 6 part series.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Late contender for thread of the year

The suspense, the drama, the twist at the end that nobody got chips, and now even racism which, unsurprisingly for 2019, is filed under 'honesty' , as though those two things are mutually exclusive

Excellent stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

So they "can't be busy because there was only one customer in there",
    and this is after the OP themselves PHONED IN! :rolleyes:
    Did you not stop for a second and think, MAYBE they received a lot of orders via the phone for collection before you tried, and MAYBE that's why 3 of them were working behind the counter not answering the phone? :confused:

This has nothing to do with chips or phones imo,he fancies the girl with the "stupid looking eyelashes ",she wants nothing to do with him...this is meant to be some sort of revenge thread..so transparent tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

This has nothing to do with chips or phones imo,he fancies the girl with the "stupid looking eyelashes ",she wants nothing to do with him...this is meant to be some sort of revenge thread..so transparent tbh.

Maybe the girl fancies him and won't answer the phone so he will have to go down there in person but then she is too shy to talk to him.

Yester wrote: »
    Maybe the girl fancies him and won't answer the phone so he will have to go down there in person but then she is too shy to talk to him.

The plot thickens...do you think they have caller ID in the chipper?Could the clue lie in what was being mixed out back in the bowl?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Sounds like the somebody is running the opposition down

Next time I’m down there I will sample a single of Murphy’s chips out of there

Do you call them singles down there?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Lads lets keep on topic & leave out the racist crap. Please report posts dont feed the troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Do you call them singles down there?

Of course not. A bag of chips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Would devour a sloppy Foley. Must ring one in once they are open and collect on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

bot43 wrote: »
    Would devour a sloppy Foley. Must ring one in once they are open and collect on the way home.

Is a Sloppy Foley something you've go out the back to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭RINO87

The "girl with stupid eyelashes" got me thinking....Wouldn't it be class to go out with a young wan working in a chipper.... She'd come home smelling all lovely and probably bring chips, would batter a good sausage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

FB-IMG-1577270228360.jpg

Diabhalta wrote: »
    FB-IMG-1577270228360.jpg

;-)... Saying it for years. There ain't one..

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

You can walk in to Murphy's and have 12 people ahead of you in the queue and still stroll out with your food in under 10 minutes, they're very efficient in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Kerry25x wrote: »
    You can walk in to Murphy's and have 12 people ahead of you in the queue and still stroll out with your food in under 10 minutes, they're very efficient in fairness.

Same experience here, show up, order, pay and I'm in and out in 10mins or less.

Maybe the OP should have done the same and used the few mins after ordering in person to go outside and take some more photos for their pothole thread.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057877716

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Maybe the OP should have done the same and used the few mins after ordering in person to go outside and take some more photos for their pothole thread.

wow-genius-shutt-so-smart-so-funny-haha-xd-pls-64293514.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

4.5 on google. Impressive.

What's this sloppy thing.

• Advertisement

The OP must have phoned at peak busy time hence why they never picked up. Simples. Most chippers during busy hour aren't always going to pick up. He should have called a few times at least or just walked the 2 minutes to the chipper to begin with.

Advertisement