Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CC3 -- Why I believe that a third option is needed for climate change

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Except it doesn't, does it?

No it actually does. Completely ignoring data and science to fit your own narrative.

It can be hard to grasp for some people but the weather data hasn't changed. It's still the same data. It's just that all weather data across the globe was altered to meet a standard to make all this data comparable. It's similar to changing feet to metres. It would actually be incredibly wrong to use the unadjusted data as a comparison as it would give you a total false result, like comparing meters with feet. This is not just isolated to Valentia, it was a global standardization and homogenization of data so that the data can be compared.

It's also frankly ridiculous to think there is some sort of global cabal of environmental scientists all conspiring to fudge the data. Research groups are all quite independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

"Historical negationism,[1][2] also called denialism, is a distortion of the historical record. It is often imprecisely or intentionally incorrectly referred to as historical revisionism, but that term also denotes a legitimate academic pursuit of re-interpretation of the historical record and questioning the accepted views.[3]

In attempting to revise the past, illegitimate historical revisionism may use techniques inadmissible in proper historical discourse, such as presenting known forged documents as genuine, inventing ingenious but implausible reasons for distrusting genuine documents, attributing conclusions to books and sources that report the opposite, manipulating statistical series to support the given point of view, and deliberately mis-translating texts (in languages other than the revisionist's).[4]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_negationism

Thanks Oneiric, finally some one has answered why the adjusted data for Valencia? Valentina? Valentia? Venus? Volvo? (Or what ever that little island is called :pac:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nabber wrote: »
    Note: I'm a supporter of the peer review.

That's not quite what a peer review is in the context of this thread.
    There is no one for all peer review process given that there are multitudes of journals.
    The word 'Expert' is ambiguous, typically papers are opened to people within the field, but the journal can select the members for a panel, for the majority of Journals there is no guideline with definitive qualities of an expert.

Peer review also open to human error and social pressures.
    +3,000 scientists responded to a survey relating to peer review.

u0x9btO.png

This were the argument lies with skeptics within any field of science. The peer review process is biased and prone to human error. Earth sciences are influenced politically and socially more than any other field. The argument that skeptics are funded by Big Oil works the same for AGW. Taxation on carbon is billions dollar, science funding also in the billions. How could money not influence publications, where else has a self regulated billion dollar field not failed the human race?

True, there is some human error which accounts for such discrepancies such as Andrew Wakefield. However usually these are scrutinized further by the scientific community and found that they don't hold up. I've been involved in work like this before where published work was bogus and it doesn't take long to get weeded out.

As for funding, researchers do need to apply for funding from various outlets, mostly governmental. However most governments of big research countries (US, Australia, Russia, China etc.) are actively pulling funding from the research into climate change as it does not suit their love affair with big business. Also the money given to research funding is miniscule compared to the investments that big polluters have to lose as well as governments if they had to act on the environmental solutions being proposed. Environmental research out side a few places like the EU is not a good place to be as funding is being pulled to try and hide the actual figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭oriel36

This were the argument lies with skeptics within any field of science. The peer review process is biased and prone to human error.

No kidding !.

Peer review this -

Sidereal rotation period - 23h 56m 4.100 Sec
    Equatorial rotation velocity - 1040.4 mph

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth

The Earth turns once every 24 hour via the clock and the Lat/Long system therefore its equatorial rotational velocity is 1037.5 mph.

That one got away and excruciating watching academics try to retain the British RA/Dec framework to suit what is effectively an assault on the eyes and offence to every known principle where observations and cause/effect meet -

"That the fixed stars being at rest, the periodic times of the five primary planets, and (whether of the sun about the earth, or) of the earth about the sun, are in the sesquiplicate proportion of their mean distances from the sun.... for the periodic times are the same, and the dimensions of the orbits are the same, whether the sun revolves about the earth, or the earth about the sun." Newton

What can I say to an audience unfamiliar to what is being attempted !. The axiom for the orbital motion of the Earth is based on the antecedent observation of the Sun's 365 day motion through the constellations while the axiom for daily rotation is based on the observation that the Sun circles the Earth from horizon to horizon each day. Nothing like getting an axiom for orbital motion (Earth around the Sun) mixed up with an axiom for daily rotation (Sun around the Earth) !!!!.

Before some person steps in and reminds me that this belongs in astronomy or worse, say goodbye to cause and effect with that late 17th century bluffing. Maybe the only reasonable meaningful response I've seen was right - the foundations for any type of reasonable discussion are simply not in existence presently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    No it actually does. Completely ignoring data and science to fit your own narrative.
    No it doesn't.

It states 'manipulating a statistical series', which is not the same as 'ignoring it'. But the only one I can see here ignoring stuff to fit a narrative is you, while attributing these contentious adjustments in Valentia to something more than what is specifically stated on the actual GISS website. Perhaps you know more than these GISS scientists do? Or perhaps, and as I suspect, you are just making it up as you go along, because it is beyond your capacity to actually explain it?

New Moon

• Advertisement

It's the environmental science equivalent of ditching imperial and moving everything to ssi units. That's all. You've still got that old data in imperial. You just have to adjust it to be able to compare it to ssi data. It's explain very well why it's done and how it's done. Just because the valentia data adjustments aren't published doesn't mean it wasnt above board. As I've said contact them. They will tell the how and why if you are that interested. But if you are only interested in data that supports your biased narrative I guess you won't.

Thanks Oneiric, finally some one has answered why the adjusted data for Valencia? Valentina? Valentia? Venus? Volvo? (Or what ever that little island is called :pac:)
    In fairness, given that my own spelling skills are pulp, I am in no position to criticise the spellings of others. Focusing in on spelling/grammer mistakes is superfluous.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It's the environmental science equivalent of ditching imperial and moving everything to ssi units. That's all. You've still got that old data in imperial. You just have to adjust it to be able to compare it to ssi data. It's explain very well why it's done and how it's done. Just because the valentia data adjustments aren't published doesn't mean it wasnt above board. As I've said contact them. They will tell the how and why if you are that interested. But if you are only interested in data that supports your biased narrative I guess you won't.

I at a loss here. I can't believe that someone who claims to work in scientific research thinks that converting from Fahrenheit to Celsius (or vice versa) actually changes the temperature. Old readings in F are not any different to new readings in C if the conversion is done properly. The trend should remain the same. Convert everything to Kelvin or Rankine and the trend will still not change.

I at a loss here. I can't believe that someone who claims to work in scientific research thinks that converting from Fahrenheit to Celsius (or vice versa) actually changes the temperature. Old readings in F are not any different to new readings in C if the conversion is done properly. The trend should remain the same. Convert everything to Kelvin or Rankine and the trend will still not change.

That's kind of the point I'm making. The conversion doesn't change the actual data of the historic data doesn't change the actual data. It brings in more in line with the standard. In the case of conversion of F to C it brings it in line with the standard C.

The problem with the historic data is that each independent monitor station or group was a rogue element that took measurements according to their own rules and time lines. Different instruments, different environments, different times of day. The data had to be adjusted to bring it in line with a standard way of measurement which is now used to avoid these kinds of issues. Of course there may be some error in the correction factors, environmental monitoring has a lot more variables than a tests in a controlled environment, but it should be mitigated with the correct use of statistical analysis.

It's also very naïve to think that the upward trend seen in the adjusted temperatures wasn't just accepted as fact. A significant amount of research and analysis would need to be carried to verify the accuracy of the data. This wouldn't just be a Valentia thing, it would be a global effort by different research groups seeing the same thing. This data would not be published unless it was backed up and could hold up to peer scrutiny.

That's kind of the point I'm making. The conversion doesn't change the actual data of the historic data doesn't change the actual data. It brings in more in line with the standard. In the case of conversion of F to C it brings it in line with the standard C.

The problem with the historic data is that each independent monitor station or group was a rogue element that took measurements according to their own rules and time lines. Different instruments, different environments, different times of day. The data had to be adjusted to bring it in line with a standard way of measurement which is now used to avoid these kinds of issues. Of course there may be some error in the correction factors, environmental monitoring has a lot more variables than a tests in a controlled environment, but it should be mitigated with the correct use of statistical analysis.

It's also very naïve to think that the upward trend seen in the adjusted temperatures wasn't just accepted as fact. A significant amount of research and analysis would need to be carried to verify the accuracy of the data. This wouldn't just be a Valentia thing, it would be a global effort by different research groups seeing the same thing. This data would not be published unless it was backed up and could hold up to peer scrutiny.

"A rogue element". Those pesky scientists down in Valentia, sure all they did was make poitín and arse around all day. Hadn't a clue how to take an observation, sure.

Unbelievable nonsense.

• Advertisement

"A rogue element". Those pesky scientists down in Valentia, sure all they did was make poitín and arse around all day. Hadn't a clue how to take an observation, sure.

Unbelievable nonsense.

They took true observations. Just the equipment and measurement procedures weren't standardised to a global standard. It was like this across the globe. They all did what they thought was best but none of them were working together to makes sure they did everything the same as each other. It's was like this is every other science which is why you got initiatives like standardising all scientific measurements to SI units.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Have you read anything in the links? Because one of the big ones that stood out to me was that data collected differed by time of day which would need to be corrected for.
    It was corrected to meet the global standard time of day. Modern data was taken at this time. Historical data before the standardisation had to be adjusted to be comparable to data taken around the world, which also had to be standardised.

If your data isn't standardised you can't compare it. It's converting apples and oranges into apples and apples.

Your "reason" is the data in Valentia was homogenised because readings were taken at the *wrong* time of day and needed to be corrected.

Given that since 1892, observations were taken at least 2hr intervals: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/giving-his-name-to-cullum-s-cups-1.268952

and Not even the war could stop observations:

From: http://archive.met.ie/publications/METER_Valentia_pages.pdf
    Independence and the Civil War. It was sometimes quite challenging to
    maintain a steady network of weather observations. Official reports from
    C.D. Stewart, Super-intendent at Valentia Observatory, described the events
    of August 1922 when Civil War gripped the town of Cahirciveen, Co. Kerry.
    He reported ‘On 23rd the Irish Free State forces took the town of
    Cahirciveen after some fighting, most of the actual shooting taking
    place in the vicinity of the Observatory. The whole operation was easily
    visible from the Observatory windows. The 18h and 21h observations
    were incidentally rendered extremely unpleasant by the constant
    crossfire of the two sides.’ Stewart later remarked satisfactorily that
    ‘no observation was missed and no record was lost’ during this time.

They were so good and dedicated that they won awards for over 100 years of pristine climate records: http://archive.met.ie/news/display.asp?ID=501

The "need" to alter, adjust, homogenise the Valentia data is on quite shaky ground.

You also linked to information about the homogenisation process where it states that nearby "pristine" stations data is used in the calculations of adjusting another.

What station - nearby - could possibly be more pristine than Valentia?

Again, why was it's data adjusted? What were the unique non-climatic/man-made influences at Valentia that warranted this process?
    Ask them. But that's the reason why. It's the reason all those global adjustments were made.

It's basically having measurements in feet and metres. You standardised the measurements so they are comparable.

Converting from F to C doesn't change a thing either! Why ask them, Met Eireann didn't adjust their data, GL was well able to get their data and present it here to show up the GHCN chart as completely misleading.

In conclusion, you have no solid verifiable answers. Claiming that different times of reading, daylight savings times (which only really came in for WW2 - and especially from the 1970s onwards i.e. it doesn't explain 1892->1939 and 1946->1970 adjustments), conversion from F to C hopping from one to the other and back again. Gosh you must be dizzy. :pac:

They took true observations. Just the equipment and measurement procedures weren't standardised to a global standard. It was like this across the globe. They all did what they thought was best but none of them were working together to makes sure they did everything the same as each other. It's was like this is every other science which is why you got initiatives like standardising all scientific measurements to SI units.

Oh, so now it's the equipment!

Right, scratch all your earlier contributions calling the urbanisation, the time of day of recordings, the daylight savings time and the conversion of F to C as reasons for homogenisation of the Valentia data.

I guess when you fling enough mud, somethings gotta stick. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭posidonia

Several people here seem fixated with the Valentia data. Why not look at another nearby station(s)?

If the perceived problem is widespread it should be easy to provide, say, ten similar examples from relatively nearby?

posidonia wrote: »
    Several people here seem fixated with Valentia. Why not look at another nearby station(s)?

If the perceived problem is widespread it should be easy to provide, say, ten similar examples?

Translation: Hands up, it cannot be explained why it happened at this station so let us off with this one and go find another.

Nah, when you're proposing that humans are responsible fully for Climate Change your evidence has got to be 100%

Otherwise it's not science.

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Come on then. This is a science forum. Less pontificating more science please. Show us your stats with your years of experience.. :-)

I'm happy to PM you details - if you are as open to me by PM. I'm not happy to make myself more identifiable when I'm faced by a host of people who are total, completely, anonymous.

That is surely fair enough?

Danno wrote: »
    Translation: Hands up, it cannot be explained why it happened at this station so let us off with this one and go find another.

You're putting words in my mouth...

Nah, when you're proposing that humans are responsible fully for Climate Change your evidence has got to be 100%

Otherwise it's not science.

Does smoking give cancer to every smoker? No. So, by your definition, the science that says smoking is dangerous isn't science....

I was going to reply but then Danno put better than I ever could. I have just one question; how do you know all this happened at Valentia? For example, why have the last 5 years' data been shifted up about 0.1 of a degree? What happened in 2015?

Such is the quest to alter the past that the high of the 33.3c recorded at Kilkenny Castle occasionally gets called into question.

The equipment at Kilkenny Castle was checked around two years later following the record high temperature and no correction was required.

The Report of the Meteorological Council 1890 which mentions the inspection that took place at Kilkenny Castle in August 1889 (Two years after the record breaking temperature was recorded). The report states that the instruments were all in good order. The maximum thermometer was checked against a known good standard thermometer and the correction to be applied was found to be 0.0° (i.e. the thermometer required no correction and was reporting the true value).

It goes to show the high standards of the Irish records that were taken from the late 1880s through to this day.

In fairness, given that my own spelling skills are pulp, I am in no position to criticise the spellings of others. Focusing in on spelling/grammer mistakes is superfluous.

As both sides of the AGW argument have misspelled it's name, I thought it would be a neutral joke.

I'm standing by my joke, as poor as it maybe :pac:

• Advertisement

Does smoking give cancer to every smoker? No. So, by your definition, the science that says smoking is dangerous isn't science....

This is a false equivalence.

The equivalence of cancer from smoking to AGW would be more along the lines of:

Smoking 100% guarantees cancer, continuous smoking will cause a tipping point of no return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Danno wrote: »
    Your "reason" is the data in Valentia was homogenised because readings were taken at the *wrong* time of day and needed to be corrected.

Given that since 1892, observations were taken at least 2hr intervals: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/giving-his-name-to-cullum-s-cups-1.268952

and Not even the war could stop observations:

From: http://archive.met.ie/publications/METER_Valentia_pages.pdf

They were so good and dedicated that they won awards for over 100 years of pristine climate records: http://archive.met.ie/news/display.asp?ID=501

The "need" to alter, adjust, homogenise the Valentia data is on quite shaky ground.

You also linked to information about the homogenisation process where it states that nearby "pristine" stations data is used in the calculations of adjusting another.

What station - nearby - could possibly be more pristine than Valentia?

Again, why was it's data adjusted? What were the unique non-climatic/man-made influences at Valentia that warranted this process?

Converting from F to C doesn't change a thing either! Why ask them, Met Eireann didn't adjust their data, GL was well able to get their data and present it here to show up the GHCN chart as completely misleading.

In conclusion, you have no solid verifiable answers. Claiming that different times of reading, daylight savings times (which only really came in for WW2 - and especially from the 1970s onwards i.e. it doesn't explain 1892->1939 and 1946->1970 adjustments), conversion from F to C hopping from one to the other and back again. Gosh you must be dizzy. :pac:

Ah God love us. I have a mental image of a man dodging bullets to get the temp. What a fantastic man :-)

If the perceived problem is widespread it should be easy to provide, say, ten similar examples from relatively nearby?

Rutherglen

Screen-Shot-2014-08-27-at-4.22.55-AM.png
    Some background: Near Rutherglen, a small town in a wine-growing region of NE Victoria, temperatures have been measured at a research station since November 1912. There are no documented site moves. An automatic weather station was installed on 29th January 1998.

The unhomogenized/raw mean annual minimum temperature trend for Rutherglen for the 100-year period from January 1913 through to December 2013 shows a slight cooling trend of 0.35 degree C per 100 years. After homogenization there is a warming trend of 1.73 degree C per 100 years. This warming trend is essentially achieved by progressively dropping down the temperatures from 1973 back through to 1913. For the year of 1913 the difference between the raw temperature and the ACORN-SAT temperature is a massive 1.8 degree C.

The remarkable change of the Rutherglen record as it got homogenized. This long running rural record that looks ideal apparently had “unrecorded” station moves found by thermometers miles away. Already we have found Bill Johnston who did some work at Rutherglen who confirmed that the station did not move.

Rutherglen

Screen-Shot-2014-08-27-at-4.22.55-AM.png

I did ask for one nearby, not in Australia...

True, take a thanks!.
    I did however want to provide some further examples of the data adjusted in sites that have changed very little if at all.

As both sides of the AGW argument have misspelled it's name, I thought it would be a neutral joke.

I'm standing by my joke, as poor as it maybe :pac:

I'm YEARS saying Valencia!!! :-D :-D

They did already. Knock Airport. Data from when there was nothing there at all.. have a look back through the chats

Even if you just focus on the 'unadjusted' data from Valentia via the that GISS website, it is clear that warming has taken place since the late 80s or there about, which is more to do with the increased infrequency of cooler years than it is with the strength of anomalous warmer years, (which have increased in frequency) which are on par with warmer annual means in the past rather than being greater than them.

This is data for Armagh from the same website. 'Adjustments' don't seem to be as as severe, but are there nonetheless, and seem to be particularly pronounced over the 40s to 70s period.

S7w1kJo.png

New Moon

Are you not capable of looking up this data for yourself?

You seem to be doing a lot of asking, and very little giving.

New Moon

• Advertisement

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    They did already. Knock Airport. Data from when there was nothing there at all.. have a look back through the chats

Nine to go then...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement