Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Army

Options
  • 20-12-2019 3:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all, I am interested in joining the Irish army next year or so but I am partially color blind , now I know in the past you wouldn’t not be aloud to join if you were but , I’ve heard from a few soldiers inside that they’ve taken it away from the entrance medical exam now/getting rid of it , the medical exam itself used to be stated on the defense forces website but has been taken down since or is it really hit and miss? Or do you think it would be possible to be able to bend a few strings if its still in the medical exam, only serious answers only please , I’d hate to be turned away over somethin like this. Can someone confirm this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm not involved, so I don't know of any recent changes.

Note that there are various types of colour blindness an not all are restrictive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Hi all, I am interested in joining the Irish army next year

Have a look at which way the smart money is moving. The forces are bleeding out Technical officers and technicians. Gratuities are not being paid. Pensions have been cut back. Get proper advice before proceeding.

Things have changed from my day. We had girls standing on telephone directories to get height, medical examinations being rode over rough shod. Things have changed, health and safety and insurance is a massive thing. The Army isnt what it was a job for life, VER at 42 (full pension and young enough to start another career), there are no 50 year old corporals anymore. Get in, do your bit, get trained and get out into civilian life.

I wouldnt advise any young fella to join, when his welfare interests arent being looked after. If you are hankering for action, the British Forces have stuff going on, constantly with more opportunities. The British Legion have more resources to look after veterans better.

IF you arent going to pass the physical for the regular army then focus on getting a trade or doing better at school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

As above. Forget the army. Brother was in it 42 years. Wouldn't recommend anyone join it now.

As above. Forget the army. Brother was in it 42 years. Wouldn't recommend anyone join it now.

Big big difference from retiring in the late 1990's to now. VER (Voluntary Early retirement at 42, 100% pension) and still young enough to take a cushy Civil service/Public Service job still young enough to go back and go to university.
    Plenty of opportunities back then. Worst case scenario 50% pension at 32 and still a young man. Ryanair head hunting pilots, Pharmaceutical companies looking for fitters and engineers, different world back then. I would hate to know how many Irish soldiers are now on the streets or homeless. Nobody wants to know about Larimar or dangerous hydraulic fluid.

Go back to school and have a cushier number on civvy street. There used to be a time when you could have both with the FCA/Slua Muiri. You could have your shirt and tie job monday to friday and and Thursday night get your hands on the hardware and be gone off for the weekend on an exercise.

I did it I had fun, I got life long friends, I got my service medal and what not (and I got paid). Look at what your income will be. Look at where you will be going (EU is taking interest in unwinnable wars in Africa). Listen to the veterans and not the "almost heroes" in the mess. They aren't urging their kids in.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The problem is that now is a very different place to 42 years ago in almost any career area. It does not matter what the past was, it is case of comparing the options available now against each other.

For instance there was a time that a defined benefit pension was the norm, today is a very simple defined contribution model - an easy comparison.

There was a time when you pick a career and expected to retire from it, that too is gone, it is not at all unusual for people to have to make a career change at some point in their live - reinvent yourself as the Americans say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

There is a military forum on here with current and past members of the defence forces, may offer you a better option.

not really a work problem, I would suggest going for it few people I know in it and love it.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    For instance there was a time that a defined benefit pension was the norm, today is a very simple defined contribution model - an easy comparison.

I am not sure you understand the pay structure. It is not that you get paid by rank. Your pay is small and you build it up with duties and technical qualification.
    If you go overseas, you have no expenses for 6 months (assuming you live at home). BQMS looks after your food and accomodation. You do a course and get technical pay you get more money. You do two 24 hour guard duties a week, that brings it up again etc etc....

Its only in the past 10 years that they have cut into the gratuity (that is a major sweetener possibly 20% of your overall cheque). They have cut into the pension contribution too. There will come a day maybe sooner than later when the army will say "you are surplus to requirement". On that day you better have a plan in action for you to transfer to civvy street. I would advise on getting out sooner than later so you can change into another profession seamlessly at a younger age. There are some "contractor jobs", they get offered to you through friends and old comrades. A better person to ask about that would be "Tac Foley" over in the military section.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

I am not sure you understand the pay structure. It is not that you get paid by rank. Your pay is small and you build it up with duties and technical qualification.
    If you go overseas, you have no expenses for 6 months (assuming you live at home). BQMS looks after your food and accomodation. You do a course and get technical pay you get more money. You do two 24 hour guard duties a week, that brings it up again etc etc....

Its only in the past 10 years that they have cut into the gratuity (that is a major sweetener possibly 20% of your overall cheque). They have cut into the pension contribution too. There will come a day maybe sooner than later when the army will say "you are surplus to requirement". On that day you better have a plan in action for you to transfer to civvy street. I would advise on getting out sooner than later so you can change into another profession seamlessly at a younger age. There are some "contractor jobs", they get offered to you through friends and old comrades. A better person to ask about that would be "Tac Foley" over in the military section.

Don't listen to this lad, he hasn't a fückin clue.

SSr0 wrote: »
    Don't listen to this lad, he hasn't a fückin clue.

Tell us how it is then?
    "Its all sweet water in the defence forces.
    SM wakes me up every morning with fresh coffee
    and if if I dont want to I go back to sleep"

The Defence forces are bleeding out technicians that is no secret.
    loads of lads (particularly the married ones) are finding it hard to make ends meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I did it I had fun, I got life long friends, I got my service medal and what not (and I got paid)

You have 6 years Reserve service, you dont have enough qualifing service for a Service Medal.

Larimar is a gemstone, maybe Lariam the antimalaria drug is what you mean?

OP, im not sure if your colour blindness will hinder your application. I know it did in the past. I will say that over the last number of years, plenty of "safeguards" have gone by the wayside. Not sure how this will factor in your own situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Big big difference from retiring in the late 1990's to now. VER (Voluntary Early retirement at 42, 100% pension) and still young enough to take a cushy Civil service/Public Service job still young enough to go back and go to university.
    Plenty of opportunities back then. Worst case scenario 50% pension at 32 and still a young man. Ryanair head hunting pilots, Pharmaceutical companies looking for fitters and engineers, different world back then. I would hate to know how many Irish soldiers are now on the streets or homeless. Nobody wants to know about Larimar or dangerous hydraulic fluid.

Go back to school and have a cushier number on civvy street. There used to be a time when you could have both with the FCA/Slua Muiri. You could have your shirt and tie job monday to friday and and Thursday night get your hands on the hardware and be gone off for the weekend on an exercise.

I did it I had fun, I got life long friends, I got my service medal and what not (and I got paid). Look at what your income will be. Look at where you will be going (EU is taking interest in unwinnable wars in Africa). Listen to the veterans and not the "almost heroes" in the mess. They aren't urging their kids in.

If your replying to my post then your answer has no resemblance to what I wrote.

Erm, you do get paid according to your rank. What are you on about?

Larimar is a gemstone, maybe Lariam the antimalaria drug is what you mean?

yes, the anti-malaria drug. Nobody is admitting to it but there are severe problems. The DoD are trying to cover over, if it happened with one, who is to say others arent suffering.

Erm, you do get paid according to your rank. What are you on about?

That is a small part of it. A lot more of it is about your duties and technical qualifications. The gratuity, duties and other aspects may not be the meat but they are the sweeteners that bring pay cheques up.

yes, the anti-malaria drug. Nobody is admitting to it but there are severe problems. The DoD are trying to cover over, if it happened with one, who is to say others arent suffering.

The DoD are not covering over anything. There are a number of cases in the legal system and a number pending review.

It's also not "severe", the number of people affected is low.

If your replying to my post then your answer has no resemblance to what I wrote.

Just expanding on your points.

The DoD are not covering over anything. There are a number of cases in the legal system and a number pending review.

It's also not "severe", the number of people affected is low.

Loads of other countries switched to another options afterwards but not the Irish Defence Forces. I suppose as long as it doesnt affect you then its not a problem. Other countries switched to different options.

That is a small part of it. A lot more of it is about your duties and technical qualifications. The gratuity, duties and other aspects may not be the meat but they are the sweeteners that bring pay cheques up.

No, pay according to your Rank is the main part of it, duty pay is secondary, technical allowances are next for those who qualify.

There are no "sweeteners". Gratuity is paid upon retirement, if you qualify for it.

We are going way off topic here so I am going to bow out.

Be careful of the misinformation and "advice" you are giving out. Stop portraying yourself as an ex-professional soldier. There's nothing wrong with being a currently serving or former Reservist, so own what you have accomplished.

Loads of other countries switched to another options afterwards but not the Irish Defence Forces. I suppose as long as it doesnt affect you then its not a problem. Other countries switched to different options.

I'm aware of that.

You are talking to someone who has served in Africa a number of times and who has been effected by the use of Lariam.

So, lecture not skooterblue2.

No, pay according to your Rank is the main part of it, duty pay is secondary, technical allowances are next for those who qualify.

There are no "sweeteners". Gratuity is paid upon retirement, if you qualify for it.

We are going way off topic here so I am going to bow out.

Be careful of the misinformation and "advice" you are giving out. Stop portraying yourself as an ex-professional soldier. There's nothing wrong with being a currently serving or former Reservist, so own what you have accomplished.

What I meant by "sweetener", a duty is payment paid extra. It could be the difference between 450 and 570 for a private approximately.
    I never said I was member of the PDF. Where did I say that? You have a thing for hating on the FCA. It is a thing I have never understood between the PDF and RDF chip on the shoulder. I never had an argument with a member of the PDF. If you could expand on it that would be great.

• Advertisement

What I meant by "sweetener", a duty is payment paid extra. It could be the difference between 450 and 570 for a private approximately.
    I never said I was member of the PDF. Where did I say that? You have a thing for hating on the FCA. It is a thing I have never understood between the PDF and RDF chip on the shoulder. I never had an argument with a member of the PDF. If you could expand on it that would be great.

Just to clarify from any confusion for anyone else reading, the €450-570 number would be per annum.

I don't have a thing for hating on the FCA...I proudly served in it for 2 years and I still help out my old Unit.

You have been caught out plenty of times in the past skooterblue2, including tonight. Explain your declaration for having a Service Medal. FCA Service Medals are awarded at 7, 12 and 21 years. You did 6 years, pork pies everywhere man.

It's not me, it's you.

Anyway, again...bowing out.

Merry Christmas everyone, best of luck OP.

You have been caught out plenty of times in the past skooterblue2, including tonight. Explain your declaration for having a Service Medal. FCA Service Medals are awarded at 7, 12 and 21 years. You did 6 years, pork pies everywhere man.
    It's not me, it's you.
    Anyway, again...bowing out.

I was a few months off getting that medal, probably less than 8 months. You still havent said where I was portraying myself as a member of the PDF. I am starting to understand where the bitterness comes from.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I am not sure you understand the pay structure.

It seems you did not understand the context. I was talking generally about how the work place has changed in general over the past 42 years. Comparisons with the past simply are not valid because all sectors have changed and not for the better.

Advertisement