Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Goose

Options
  • 20-12-2019 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭

So, after a turn of events, I have been tasked with cooking a goose for Christmas. Something which I've never done before. The bird will be boned, rolled, stuffed and expected to come in around 6kg/13lb when I collect it from the butcher on Monday. Other family members are taking care of the veg and desserts.

Can anyone give ideas for the best way to cook it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Your best bet is to ask the butcher for timing and temperature when you collect the roast.
    I've only ever done whole geese, so wouldn't want to comment on how to cook a boned and rolled one.
    Best of luck, I hope it turns out nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I cooked a crown years ago an all I can say is: it will piss fat, so keep an eye o the tray and empty it when needed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Impressed and following for next year. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

kylith wrote: »
    I cooked a crown years ago an all I can say is: it will piss fat, so keep an eye o the tray and empty it when needed

That is simultaneously the best and the worst description of what it's like to roast a goose :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Would suggest getting a meat thermometer probe from the likes of Home Store and More, they're only about a tenner and it takes the guessing out of when it is done which is the trickiest part of cooking a large bird imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Cook it upside down same for a duck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

- just seeing this now - how did it go for you ?
    I followed this recipe https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Goose-with-Chestnut-Stuffing - turned out really well, had superb crispy skin; made red cabbage with prunes as one of the sides.
    - it is true that all geese I've been getting in Ireland (from our local butcher) are very fat, by comparison with the organic ones I would be getting in my home country. but not all bad, I am saving some of that fat for roasties for next weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

I de*boned a 42€ :eek: goose then stuffed it with minced pork mixed with duck liver paté and duck tenders. Served with potato/celeriac dauphinoise and cranberry sauce. For the goose I used the spice mix from the above Jamie Oliver recipe. It was damn delicious.

PS Next year I'll be having our own homegrown geese I suspect.:pac:

I de*boned a 42€ :eek: goose
    69 for ours, and it was worth every penny :)

• Advertisement

mvl wrote: »
    69 for ours, and it was worth every penny :)

How much did it weigh ? Ours was 2.8 kg.

How much did it weigh ? Ours was 2.8 kg.
    ~5kg.

mvl wrote: »
    ~5kg.

Approx similar in price so. Must add that I live in foie gras county, I was expecting a tad lower prices. Doesn't take away that it was really delicious.:)

Advertisement