Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies greatest song of the 80s

Options
  • 20-12-2019 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭

NOW_80s-2-800x800.jpg

The 80s was a great decade for music, I'm sure we all have our favourites.

Lets see what truely is the greatest song.

There are just 2 rules the songs must meet to be elligable.

1. The song must have been released as a single in the UK and/or US, no album tracks here
    2. The song must have been released in the 80s, re releases are accepted.

So, please pm me 5 songs and we will likely kick this off in the new year.

Comments

The 80s were the best!

How the hell am I meant to narrow it down to just 5? You’ve been reading from Nitwit’s book on how to torture boardsies, haven’t ya?

Entered already before I changed my mind :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Me too, I could enter another completely different 5 tomorrow thinking too much about it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I'm struggling to narrow U2 songs from the 80s down to five, and I wouldn't even say I'm a big U2 fan!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Gonna be hard to whittle it down to just 5, but I'll give it a shot...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

List in

Oh man, am so in for this. But choosing just 5 songs will be tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,444 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I'm totally in for this.

I love 80's music, none of this modern ****e!

I'm down to 10 at the moment. Having to make some really ruthless cuts here. This is really difficult, because the '80s are so epic!

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I could choose 5 for each week of the 80's & still think of more.

:mad:

• Advertisement

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    I could choose 5 for each week of the 80's & still think of more.

:mad:

I know how you feel.

I think I have a song for everyday of the 80's. How do I narrow it down??? :confused:

I'm down to 10 at the moment. Having to make some really ruthless cuts here. This is really difficult, because the '80s are so epic!

...and I'm back up to 23 songs on my list. :rolleyes:

We should have talked about this first and formulated a plan. Like, assign a year and then the first or second half of the year.

There’s gonna be so many good tunes eliminated early, isn’t there? I’m sad already :(

There’s gonna be so many good tunes eliminated early, isn’t there? I’m sad already :(

And it's going to be soul-crushing to see each and every one of them go I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

35 songs in, only one duplicate. Feel free to suggest wildcards when submitting, we may use them.

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Kolido wrote: »
    ...only one duplicate

Qmn3.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Can we assume all the tracks on Now Thats What I call the 80's are in by default or not?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

35 songs in, only one duplicate. Feel free to suggest wildcards when submitting, we may use them.

Thanks guys.

My shortlist needs some work before I can send anything in. I'm not finished it yet and it's already a bit, well, long...

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Can we assume all the tracks on Now Thats What I call the 80's are in by default or not?

Hmm...had not thought about it, probably not unless they are picked. I just added that image as it looked good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

working on a short list

• Advertisement

Can we up it to 10 please? ;):p

Can we up it to 10 please? ;):p

Ah sure go on then, gimme 10

Ah sure go on then, gimme 10

Can we all give ten now then?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Still not enough.

I made the mistake to look at a Wiki page, and now & I have a longer list.

Honestly, even if Kolido turned around and said we could all nominate 200 songs, it still wouldn't be enough. The '80s is my definitive decade for music, so I'm hoping this comp will be epic, and also that people won't just vote for the obviously "popular" songs, since some of them lesser talked about tunes are phenomenally good.

How many you hoping for Kolido? 128 I presume, as a mimimum? Would you go 256 or more?

...also that people won't just vote for the obviously "popular" songs, since some of them lesser talked about tunes are phenomenally good.

Yeah, but it's hard to choose. If I just picked my absolute top 5 but they're realy obscure then they'll probably get knocked out in the first round and that will cut deep, real deep.

So trying to get a balance between songs that at least having a fighting chance without just going for the super obvious.

I know that if they've been released as singles the chance of a VERY obscure one are diminished. But he did say they only had to be released as singles, not that they had to chart, so that opens up the field for the obscuras.

There's a psychological phenomenon whereby consumers end up buying nothing if they find there are too many options for them to pick from (eg, a shelf full of jams), and I am feeling totally like this at the moment. I have too many options and struggling to submit anything. I do have a good long Christmas break to be thinking about it so I'm not feeling under pressure yet.

quickbeam wrote: »
    How many you hoping for Kolido? 128 I presume, as a mimimum? Would you go 256 or more?

1024 at this rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

That was much harder than i thought

Advertisement