Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why did shane McGowan have no teeth ?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

I use Shane as an example to my two kids of what happens if you don't brush your teeth :)

on the other hand I had the pleasure to meet Shane on a number of occasions, he is articulate and sharp when sober and mighty craic

but once he starts getting pissed he turns into an incoherent mess, its a shame that alcohol has such a hold of him

*edit* oh and reading skaterboy comments reminds of an opinionated teenager with zero life experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Congratulations. You're far from the only one on here who has graduated from University having completed the required work. Did not knowing the difference between 'write' and 'right' pose any problems for you when completing those papers? Funnily enough, I don't think the bould Shane would make that mistake.

The poster was not saying ‘right?’ He was saying ‘write’. No mistake made there. Read what he quoted...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭paul71

Nunu wrote: »
    The poster was not saying ‘right?’ He was saying ‘write’. No mistake made there. Read what he quoted...

You are correct but he did make this mistake.

"Dont even say theyre not connected."

Do you see it? Even poor brain damaged Shane would not make it. The poor "boii" cannot even string 1 sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

shut up and leave him alone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

Was delighted to see him on the LLS. When my daughter asked me what was wrong with that guy I used the opportunity to tell her that is what drinking too much and taking drugs does to you. That’s put her right off for life. He’s a poster child for everything that is wrong with his lifestyle now don’t get me started on the enablers around him...

screamer wrote: »
    Was delighted to see him on the LLS. When my daughter asked me what was wrong with that guy I used the opportunity to tell her that is what drinking too much and taking drugs does to you. That’s put her right off for life. He’s a poster child for everything that is wrong with his lifestyle now don’t get me started on the enablers around him...

Absolutely awful rendition of Fairytale of New York. Not just him, but that other woman too, though I can't recall her name.

It was like watching a drunk version of Stephen Hawking doing karaoke.

Why was that even sanctioned!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

greenspurs wrote: »
    So whats your problem ?
    It started off about his teeth, now you think hes being admired for just being a heroin hound, that drinks guinness? And you feel offended about this ?

And now you think there should be some dirt to shovel about the man ?
    Whats your agenda?
    Jealousy ? A begrudgery ?

You sound like a Sun reporter....

Some of us appreciate his song writing ability and the elevation of Irish music through the Pogues records and tours.
    Personally, I feel that his own personal life and what he does in it, isn't my business, and I wouldn't start a thread about it just to get my entertainment, but each to their own...… :rolleyes:

I think the more the thread goes on we realise, it is people like above are the problem, it is easy to be an enabler and cool.

live and let live is the tool they use to remove from actual real life critical engagement and responsibilities.

Shane is a great guy , sad nobody sorted him out and didn't enable him.

Plenty of clever clowns like you to take up that role.

"live and let live".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

This ids on TG4 xmas night.

A lot of people wouldn't know any Popes songs. This could be a good show. I was at a lot of Shane + Popes gigs in the 90s

Paul McGuinness (on Guitar) played with DC Nein and Tokyo Olympics.

01:00
    Shane MacGowan: Live at Montreux
    Shane MacGowan & The Popes Live at Montreux 1995. This show combines tracks from the Snake album including Nancy Whiskey, Donegal Express and Bring Down yhe Lamp with Pogues classics such as If I Should Fall From Grace With God, Streams of Whiskey and The Irish Rover and with a rousing version of the Hippy Hippy Shake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Yes and its as pathetic and sad as it was back then. The problem is people romanticizing the 'noble drunk/junkie' archetype as if it's what makes a performer special or talented. 100% if Shane macGowan wasn't a subhuman junkie his career as a frontman would be much better than what it is now.

Fcuks sake. Subhuman? Lol. Get a grip on yourself would you. No need to be a judgemental dickhead. Addicts are still humans. What Shane McGowan chooses to put into his body has literally no effect on your life whatsoever. It's not like he is held up around the world as a shining example of irishness. Quite the opposite, despite being more talented than most (and I can see that despite not particularly being a fan) Just don't listen to his music if it gets you so wound up. Stick to avril lavigne perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I'd say copious amounts of speed combined with an unhealthy lifestyle and very poor dental hygiene did for the teeth.

I just can't imagine McGowan brushing his teeth - and I've tried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,668 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I think the more the thread goes on we realise, it is people like above are the problem, it is easy to be an enabler and cool.

live and let live is the tool they use to remove from actual real life critical engagement and responsibilities.

Shane is a great guy , sad nobody sorted him out and didn't enable him.

Plenty of clever clowns like you to take up that role.

"live and let live".

Are you taking some sort of substance yourself? Your post is rambling and incoherent. If you had any knowledge or experience of addiction, then you'd know that nobody could have "sorted him out". An addict has to choose to get help and the only person that "enables" them is themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Mate you realize pre 1996 bands performing today are all living clean? Ozzy osborne, rolling stones, the who, motley crue are all teetotaling vegetarians.

Turns out theres nothing to romanticize about drug and alcohol abuse.

And I'm sure people would be queuing around the block to see them play their new stuff that doesn't even trouble the charts?? or do people wanna see the hits that they wrote/made famous while off their heads. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Too many out of touch senior citizens here on boards.ie. All your favorite bands from the 80s are old men now with fitbits and yoga classes. Mick Jagger does Zumba. Stop romanticizing alcoholism and drug abuse. Its out of touch and pathetic.

And just look at all the monster hits they have had since they got clean.......

Shane is a genius, the tortured type, but still a genius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Yes and its as pathetic and sad as it was back then. The problem is people romanticizing the 'noble drunk/junkie' archetype as if it's what makes a performer special or talented. 100% if Shane macGowan wasn't a subhuman junkie his career as a frontman would be much better than what it is now.

You're Rick Astley, aren't you ?

I knew it.

"Never gonna give you up
    Never gonna let you down
    Never gonna run around and desert you
    Never gonna make you cry
    Never gonna say goodbye
    Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you...:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

After 1970 he might still have had massive bone density loss affecting the integrity of his jawbones and creating doubt over the viability of dental implants. It probably wasnt only a matter of fitting a set of dentures.
    Some transplant and chemo patients also lose teeth, there can be many causes, although the substance abuse is the common knowledge explanation for Shane McGowan's problem.

My friend worked as one of Shane's roadies and iirc he found him completely bonkers but very nice. Subhuman is a bit harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,668 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Subhuman is a bit harsh.

Not a bit harsh, it's downright disgusting. It's the kind of description reserved for nazis and serial killers. Poster has clearly got something mentally wrong with him if he thinks Shane McGowan deserves to be called that. Either that or he's a child and doesn't understand what the word means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've a strong family connection to the Pogues. Basically McGowan has never stopped being a punk. The reason the Pogues broke up (twice) was because the touring was gruelling. As the rest of the band and the crew were getting older, getting married and having kids, McGowan stayed the same. Up all night boozing, disappearing for days on end, getting refused access to flights, venues and countries. Puking and pissing on other people's belongings, other people, passers-by, etc.

The kind of thing you tolerate from your mates when you'e having the craic in your twenties, not when you're in your fourties and touring for a living.

There's never a word about Shane being a bad guy. By all accounts he is not at all a nasty person. Not violent or mean. Not even in his drunkest states. But as difficult to deal with as you'd expect a permanently drunk person to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Junkies loose their teeth. That's why.
    Certain drugs just destroy your teeth and gums over time.

Shane is quite accustom to drugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I feel for the wife having to kiss him..

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement

I feel for the wife having to kiss him..

You'd need to rinse your mouth out with dettol.

She's presumably getting the house and all his income when he passes away; a worthwhile endurance from her perspective.

I firmly believe that if he wasn't a man of means, she would have left him for another man a very, very long time ago.

I wouldn't be surprised if she encourages him to drink/take drugs/not look after himself, to advance the rate of his physiological decline.

She probably sees him as a barrier to her future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

She's presumably getting the house and all his income when he passes away; a worthwhile endurance from her perspective.

I firmly believe that if he wasn't a man of means, she would have left him for another man a very, very long time ago.

I wouldn't be surprised if she encourages him to drink/take drugs/not look after himself, to advance the rate of his physiological decline.

You're basing this on what, exactly ?

What house is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

After 1970 he might still have had massive bone density loss affecting the integrity of his jawbones and creating doubt over the viability of dental implants. It probably wasnt only a matter of fitting a set of dentures.
    Some transplant and chemo patients also lose teeth, there can be many causes, although the substance abuse is the common knowledge explanation for Shane McGowan's problem.

My friend worked as one of Shane's roadies and iirc he found him completely bonkers but very nice. Subhuman is a bit harsh.

Subhuman is an expression most people would reserve for rapists and paedophiles tbh. Not a well respected singer/songwriter who has harmed no one other than himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Subhuman is an expression most people would reserve for rapists and paedophiles tbh. Not a well respected singer/songwriter.

Hard to believe it on a thread about dental issues tbh. I get that a life of dissipation disgusts people too but he's a punk rocker...what do people expect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Surely with her clairvoyant talents it would have been easier for her to predict the lotto numbers?? He was potless when they got together.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Oh dear god, you have no idea who his wife is? She met him at 16. She is an amazing empathetic and caring person. Very few real women would put up with his behaviour and addiction issues. She has given the best part of her life looking after him. In psychology terminology she is a "Super Neuro Typical" the kind you usually find the same levels of empathy in Social workers, certain nurses, certain doctors, human rights lawyers and the like.

I came across this tonight. A Pogues concert in Germany in 1985

Raw Pogues , pre Terry Woods and Phil Chevron.

Advertisement