Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport question

Options
  • 21-12-2019 9:20am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

Hi

I need to travel to the United States in very early January.
    My passport expires in March 2020.

Is it ok to travel or is there a 6 month rule? (Where the passport has to be valid for 6 months)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Hi

Is it ok to travel or is there a 6 month rule? (Where the passport has to be valid for 6 months)

It’s fine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

salmocab wrote: »
    It’s fine

Thanks. Final answer?
    Before I book flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Thanks. Final answer?
    Before I book flights.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058036122/1/#post111939793

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Hi

There is a waiver for Irish passports. As long as it is in date when you leave the US it's okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Thanks. Final answer?
    Before I book flights.

Yeah this question is asked very regularly. Ireland is not one of the country's that thatvrule applies to , assuming you have an Irish passport that is.

• Advertisement

Yeah this question is asked very regularly. Ireland is not one of the country's that thatvrule applies to , assuming you have an Irish passport that is.

Yeah. I have an Irish passport alright. Just seen on work email that it mentioned the 6 month thing, but probably just a generic mail that goes to anyone who books a flight via the work travel system.

Yeah. I have an Irish passport alright. Just seen on work email that it mentioned the 6 month thing, but probably just a generic mail that goes to anyone who books a flight via the work travel system.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Thanks. Final answer?
    Before I book flights.

https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/usa/passports/top-passport-questions/travel-between-the-usa-and-ireland/

This is our own Foreign Affairs position but if you don’t accept this as the official position then you’ll have to try and get a new passport before you book.

splinter65 wrote: »
    https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/usa/passports/top-passport-questions/travel-between-the-usa-and-ireland/

This is our own Foreign Affairs position but if you don’t accept this as the official position then you’ll have to try and get a new passport before you book.

Thanks. But can’t see my question answered. Can see for us people to Ireland but not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Thanks. Final answer?
    Before I book flights.

Have you not applied for your ESTA yet? You would want to get cracking.

Id make contact with the US Embassy to get a confirmed answer on your passport query

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There is a six month rule but Ireland and a long list of other countries (members of the Six Month Club) are exempt.

I have travelled for Thanksgiving with a passport which had only six weeks left on it (expired early January) and there was no problem. An Irish passport only needs to be valid for the duration of your stay.

Thanks. But can’t see my question answered. Can see for us people to Ireland but not the other way around.

It says that your ESTA visa is valid until your passport expires or for a period of 2 years, whichever is sooner.
    If it was the case that your ESTA visa actually expires 6 months before your passport expires then it would say that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Make sure you go to the correct US government website for the ESTA, it should only cost $14.00, there are several sites out there that charge significantly more than that.
    Just be warned filling out the form can be a bit of a dose.

kravmaga wrote: »
    Have you not applied for your ESTA yet? You would want to get cracking.

Id make contact with the US Embassy to get a confirmed answer on your passport query

Where do I indicate I haven’t applied for ESTA. I got an ESTA in 2018 and it’s valid until March 2020. Same date as passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Where do I indicate I haven’t applied for ESTA. I got an ESTA in 2018 and it’s valid until March 2020. Same date as passport.

Just sounds like your a dude that leaves things to the last minute.....:D chill

You gotta have all the paperwork tip top with the Americans...

Then you don’t need an ESTA.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Then you don’t need an ESTA.

I never said anything about needing ESTA. I’m just on about my actual passport expiring in March 2020.

Or are you saying ESTA and passport are all linked.

Your ESTA approval is linked to your passport. For example, if you lose your passport and get a new one, you need a new ESTA. If you renew your passport, the ESTA on the old passport will not carry over, you need to reapply. And if you get ESTA approval when there is less than two years remaining on your passport, the ESTA will expire with your passport.

I never said anything about needing ESTA. I’m just on about my actual passport expiring in March 2020.

Yes I’m saying that ESTA is linked to your passport.

Just to update ye I got through. Now the 2nd girl who checked my passport going through made a big deal of it, “you know you have only 3 months on your passport? You should have 6 months, you may not be allowed to enter” etc etc

The actual border officer (or whatever they are called) didn’t even mention this.

• Advertisement

Just to update ye I got through. Now the 2nd girl who checked my passport going through made a big deal of it, “you know you have only 3 months on your passport? You should have 6 months, you may not be allowed to enter” etc etc

So, as a service to other travellers, you told her (per post #12) that there is a Six Month Rule when travelling to the US but that Irish passport holders are exempt?

At the very least, I suggest that you send an e-mail to the airline she works for and ask them to update their staff with the correct information.

coylemj wrote: »
    So, as a service to other travellers, you told her (per post #12) that there is a Six Month Rule when travelling to the US but that Irish passport holders are exempt?

At the very least, I suggest that you send an e-mail to the airline she works for and ask them to update their staff with the correct information.

I replied to her with this alright. But she more a less ignored it and said it’s 6 months and you are at the mercy of customs now, kinda put the sh1ts up me.

I don’t think she even worked for an airline. I think she had a red type hi vis vest on.

Advertisement