Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Party MEPs vote for Ireland to lose EU Tax Veto

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The Green party are a bunch of naive people and outright dribbling morons. This is not a shock to me.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,416 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Wibbs wrote: »
    The Green party are a bunch of naive people and outright dribbling morons. This is not a shock to me.

to think many years ago I thought the greens actually had an alternative policy. instead it just seems like alternative bandwagon jumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Jesus these commies are going to bankrupt the country AGAIN if they get a whiff of power.

Worrying thing is they have the young naive vote.

Very worrying times.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,990 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Whatever happened to dating article's? And idea when this vote was

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The only way they will gain power is by getting the naive vote
    And as it happens - Greens call for voting age to be brought down to 16

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

listermint wrote: »
    Whatever happened to dating article's? And idea when this vote was

Two points MEPs only took up positions on 1 November and article was published today. The vote took place on Tuesday.

General Details:

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-eu-tax-reform-idUKKCN1Q11BA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I liked them when they were proeuropean but slightly euro skeptic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Wibbs wrote: »

I actually think those at the top are shrewd and conniving but bluffers and chancers of the highest order. Eamon Ryan must be one of the biggest conmen that ever darkened the door of Leinster House, yet is given a virtual free ride by the mainstream media.
    It's the clowns that vote for the Greens that I despair about.
    They are the real problem.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Green politicians think they are looking out for the planet when they should be looking out for their country, or even better their county.
    This mindset is globalist which is pretty much the opposite of nationalist (for good or bad).

I was green for many years before I realised the green are children and dreamers with no rooting in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I don't mind if they were proposing to increase the tax rate but getting rid of your own Veto is beyond ridiculous bordering treasonous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52,014 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Anytime I see a Green Party idea in print I know it would cost the taxpayer.
    Useless shower of morons.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

People in Ireland wont vote en masse for "woke" party's.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,149 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Collective guilt hipster wannabes oh we've gotta take responsibility for all the bad things we didn't do it's all everyone's fault so everyone has to help

**** off you delusional little brats

Stupid green party

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

I liked them when they were proeuropean but slightly euro skeptic

I liked them when they told us to buy diesel cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Weren't they the same party that could have Veto'd the creation of NAMA, but OK'd it because they got a ban on mink farming?

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Augme

Seems a fairly sensible idea and I'd say most people who voted green party or would be inclined to vote greens wouldn't have a huge issue with it. The people who hate the idea would never vote greens anyway so it will have zero impact.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,935 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Weren't they the same party that could have Veto'd the creation of NAMA, but OK'd it because they got a ban on mink farming?

Nate

Mink farming is still legal.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭circadian

Wow a lot of hatred for the Greens. I don't usually vote for them but I get the feeling a lot of the derision is from people who don't want to face up to the fact that they are, in a way, correct in running with environmental issues as their core tenant and have been for some time.

The difference is now other parties are also on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Jesus these commies are going to bankrupt the country AGAIN if they get a whiff of power.

Worrying thing is they have the young naive vote.

Very worrying times.

Jeez there was me thinking it was Zanu FF/FG, developers, bankers and low interest rates that bankrupted the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,014 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Jeez there was me thinking it was Zanu FF/FG, developers, bankers and low interest rates that bankrupted the country.

Yes but backed up by the Greens.😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,990 ✭✭✭✭listermint

circadian wrote: »
    Wow a lot of hatred for the Greens. I don't usually vote for them but I get the feeling a lot of the derision is from people who don't want to face up to the fact that they are, in a way, correct in running with environmental issues as their core tenant and have been for some time.

What the article had to do with environmental issues is beyond me......

circadian wrote: »

I think the Greens are naive, but some of the comments in the thread are indeed ludicrous.
    There's a fella ranting about how the 'commies' bankrupted the country. Wtf. It's like the 'commies are stealing our preciously bodily fluids' character from Doctor Strangelove taking to the internet.

Yes but backed up by the Greens.��

Meh. They had very little influence and were only in government for the last year or two of the madness. The bubble had been building for at least a decade.

The people who avidly support Zanu FF/FG today are the ones to blame. That is because they are morons.

Nate

I take if from this that you think vetoing the creation of NAMA would have been a good idea, then. Can you explain your alternative proposal, given the near complete collapse of the banking sector in Ireland and that almost all developers were insolvent?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Meh. They had very little influence and were only in government for the last year or two of the madness. The bubble had been building for at least a decade.

The people who avidly support Zanu FF/FG today are the ones to blame. That is because they are morons.
    The Dummies Guide of/to Politics! You mean they won't vote for other even more useless options? Yes, morons indeed.

is_that_so wrote: »
    The Dummies Guide of/to Politics! You mean they won't vote for other even more useless options? Yes, morons indeed.

Ehm, guess I must have missed compulsory voting being introduced in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I agree with Washmans assessment of Eamon Ryan, and the rest of them.

Trevor Sargent, the leader said he’d never take them into coalition with FF and resigned as leader the day before the agreement was struck but was also happy to take a post as junior minister in that govt.

They tried to pull a fast one in the negotiations where the cabinet would be reshuffled after two years so the non ministerial members of the parliamentary party could become ministers. Why two years you ask? Well two years is the minimum requirement to qualify for a ministerial pension. Even FF couldn’t stomach that one. I know people who left the party in disgust at them abandoning a central tenet of their existence. Clean politics how are ye?
    Mink farming is still legal.

Yes, the Greens that used to be so against corruption and for probity and transparencies in politics until they got a chance to get their hands on power. They did a deal with the devil Fianna Fáil and ended up voting for NAMA, in return for the ban on mink farms that didn’t come through. Like Seamus Brennan said “senior hurling” indeed.

It’s tempting to call them naive, but their actions are dangerous. Like letting someone light a match in a fireworks factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ehm, guess I must have missed compulsory voting being introduced in Ireland.

You seem to have missed a lot, particularly that insulting voters is not a terribly good way to change minds. Your posts look to have just emerged from about 2010.

I agree with Washmans assessment of Eamon Ryan, and the rest of them.

Trevor Sargent, the leader said he’d never take them into coalition with FF and resigned as leader the day before the agreement was struck but was also happy to take a post as junior minister in that govt.

They tried to pull a fast one in the negotiations where the cabinet would be reshuffled after two years so the non ministerial members of the parliamentary party could become ministers. Why two years you ask? Well two years is the minimum requirement to qualify for a ministerial pension. Even FF couldn’t stomach that one. I know people who left the party in disgust at them abandoning a central tenet of their existence. Clean politics how are he?

Yes, the Greens that used to be so against corruption and for probity and transparencies in politics until they got a chance to get their hands on power. They did a deal with the devil Fianna Fáil and ended up voting for NAMA, in return for the ban on mink farms that didn’t come through. Like Seamus Brennan said “senior hurling” indeed.

It’s tempting to call them naive, but their actions are dangerous. Like letting someone light a match in a fireworks factory.

This betrays an incomplete understanding of what actually happened. The reality is the deal was voted for and approved of by the Green party membership. IIRC the vote was approx 60/40. That's what their rules required.

As for NAMA, what was the alternative?

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    You seem to have missed a lot, and this looks like a post that has just emerged
    from about 2010, particularly that insulting voters are not a terribly good way to change minds.

I couldn't care less, I'm not out there campaigning or running for office. I believe that Ireland has a national case of Stockholm Syndrome. I don't care if 60% of the population, the ones who vote for Zanu Fianna Gael are insulted by my comments. I don't like those people and I sure as damnit don't need or want their approval. Kapiche?

Advertisement