Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closed account in credit.

Options
  • 21-12-2019 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

Closed my Eir account. Went through the correct channels, returned equipment etc.

But the now closed account is in credit. I didn't overpay at any stage but there's €40 in it.

Is it possible to physically get this money back, or will it linger on in there for eternity? I don't know where to start.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just ask them to refund your credit balance,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Just ask them to refund your credit balance,

This. They will send you a cheque once you ask them for your balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Sounds simple but from my own experience of waiting 6 months for a cheque Eir are awful at refunds.

Not great at the billing side either, hence the credit balance and closed account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

When I left EIR they refunded the outstanding balance onto the card I used for payments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Thanks a million for the advice everyone, I'll start the process after Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Having worked with billing and suspense accounts (not in eir) sometimes the system-generated credit is not really due to the customer. A stopped DD could create a debit in another GL account that offsets the credit. So a further adjustment could reduce the balance due to the customer to 0.

But it costs nothing to query so good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Had that with someone I left, "closing balance" statement sent out with a hefty credit balance that didn't exist when a more sensibly timed statement was provided. I can't remember who, its indicative of awful software and systems.

Only firm I had a legit balance with and had to ask for it after closure was Bord Gais on a level pay account.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

I'm waiting for €19.99 from them since December 2018. I gave up after 3 months of bs stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Sparko

I got mine sorted recently through the live chat, they just needed me to confirm my IBAN and I had my refund within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I believe (for some customers) changed their billing system back in 2017(?) where you now pay a month in advance.
    eircom wrote:
    Why is my bill higher than I expected?

Your first bill will be slightly higher than other bills as you are paying for more than one month of usage. This is because your first bill covers the period from when your service starts up until your first bill, as well as your price plan for the month ahead This is called a pro rata billing. [quote\]

Example

My FTTH was 6 month offer €50 per month promotional. Was installed on the 25th of Jun 2018. My DD was designated the 4th July. I was charged around €60. The €50 covered me for that July. If I gave my 30 days notice on the first week of December and officially leave eircom on the 5th December I’ll be refunded my €91 they debited on the 4th. The more I go into the month this will be reduced etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement