Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar post Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    So who do you suggest ? FG sat around talked about change and did nothing .
    Meantime we have thousands of homeless , a hospital which is spiralling out of control ,businesses going to the wall because nothing is being done about the compensation culture , TD cheating the system with no consequences . Our health system failing the ones who need it , our welfare state encouraging people to leech off it

. I could go on but I for one will never vote FG again

Everything you named there FF have past history with.

Seems a lot of young people don’t remember FF and just how corrupt and all the tribunals we had to witness become of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

FG, nor anyone, to this day can't do anything due to the national bankruptcy in 2010.

We are still in the legacy of the economic collapse which was brought about by the mismanagement of the country by FF.

The legacy will be with us for decades.

1.5 billion debt to be paid back a year for 100 years because of FF.

300,000 young people emigrated due to unemployment.

And people give out about overspend on a children’s hospital and think FF should be back in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Leo has done nothing since he became Taoiseach....waste of space

Get him out and never let back in

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Everything you named there FF have past history with.

Seems a lot of young people don’t remember FF and just how corrupt and all the tribunals we had to witness become of them.

So you do you suggest I vote for . By the way I am not young , have lived through two major recessions , struggled to get my kids through college , seen the HSE disintegrate , seen homeless increase
    So now my question is who do I trust ? No one is my answer , they are all the bloody same , self absorbed and not one bit interested in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

FG will keep the public finances under control, FF will not.

People may not like the restrictive spending policies but it means the country can't get itself in to a catastrophic situation again like 2010.

Safety must be first priority. With FF that goes out the window and the dice will be rolled again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

BDI wrote: »
    No I’d say he will take a seat on a board of a multinational company or two. Maybe give speeches at Christmas parties of vulture fund type gatherings for huge money way above market value.

As politicians go, hes a terrible orator. I've never, ever thought hes ever sounded remotely sincere. It's a bit what will make me sound like I care, and very forced.

I'm sure he's an intelligent man, you don't qualify as a doctor without that and hard work, but that he chose politics instead kind of shows that he's a bit vaccuous. That comes across to me when he speaks, and the few times I've met him (used to live in his constituency) I don't know what he'd bring at all to any board of to an EU job, other than a name and no more. Hes so managed, that I'm not sure how much is him anymore, and how much is what a PR / media person is advising him will look cool.

If the Irish people put FF back in after what they did to this country then they deserve all they are going to get.

Yes FF had to get finger pointed at them

But then again the common person has to also look at themselves. Gobs**ts buying houses for over 500k with no savings and terrible wages. Crash or no crash they would never have paid off the house

Everyone wanted to get on the property ladder....didn't matter if they could or couldnt pay for it

Move on 10 years....different government, everyone has seen what happened in the crash. Guess what we are doing again?

Now this time people are bitching and moaning because the Central Bank won't let them take out a mortgage that they will never be able to repay.

As I said FF did have questions to answer, so do the public, who have learned absolutely zero from it.

Leo has done zero in the time he has been in. He will claim the abortion vote and the equality. But on equality he held back till he seen the reaction of the country and then came running out to jump on bandwagon. He done f**k all for abortion to be honest. Again waited to see the polls and then jumped on bandwagon

Insurance he has done nothing now for how many years. The children hospital, the perfect site is in his constituacy and he didn't move it. Every person in the country could tell you it was a f**king disaster and shock horror it is.

The HSE is a mess, his dad is a doctor so he should have some experience. The rural BB, he managed to f**k that up when he handed over all the "good" customer to Eir outside the BB process and then all the bidder withdrew. Thats why it is 3 billion or whatever now, nto that Eir cared when they came out and said they could do for 1 billion. Talk about sticking knife in back....

He has a catalogue of f**k up which cannto be discounted. If and I know big IF the crash never happened, he would have been kikced out years ago. He is hanging on because of Brexit, that is over now and off he goes on his mery way> I liked him, I used to live in his area and watched him move up from junior to his current role. I thought he would do good.....but he is useless

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I can't help but think that there is a lot more to Leo than meets the public eye. I don't think it is possible to be complacent and then sort of meander your way to the Teashops office. It just does not happen that way.

You would have to imagine that it gives Mickie Martin such a headache when he is staring into the ceiling at quarter past four in the morning, it must feel awful. He is just unlucky, I never doubted his work ethic, but people will always tar him with the stains of the corrupted FF party of the noughties. He was minister for health when the smoking ban was introduced, he always appears to foot the blame for all the knife edge moments in Irish politics. He basically is very unlucky and you need a bit of luck in politics, especially in Ireland.

With Varadkar I always feel he creates his own luck. He always seems ahead of whatever scandal the opposition creates. He is cuter than the rest of them. Hardly remarkable mind you.

Martin spent €4,000 on a 2 night stay in a hotel when he was minister. Yeah, very unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭riddles

Leo’s done what he intended to do - nothing. Use PR and spin. A strategy that has unraveled like a cheap suit because of his mates Harris and Murphy being a pair of clowns. But he appointed them so it’s on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

To be fair Brexit has taken an inordinate amount of focus just to stop a border being erected on our island.

It takes that focus because the Brits don't care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

FG will keep the public finances under control, FF will not.

People may not like the restrictive spending policies but it means the country can't get itself in to a catastrophic situation again like 2010.

Safety must be first priority. With FF that goes out the window and the dice will be rolled again.

You seem to have forgotten about the €2 Billion plus hospital, The €3 Billion plus Rural Broadband being put down by Actavo. The milliions spent on the courtcase defending their reasons why we shouldn't claim the €13 Billion that Apple owe.

That is unfortunately not even close to the full amount that they have incompetently squandered. It may not be incompetence, it could be that they are just lining 'friends' pockets. Either way it is grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Don’t be fooled by Michael.

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2011/02/11/so-why-did-that-money-end-up-in-your-wifes-account-mr-martin/

“So, Why Did That Money End Up In Your Wife’s Bank Account, Mr Martin?”

This interview must have been a similar experience for Martin as Father Ted had when he was getting the Golden Cleric award and the presenters kept going on about the S02E11-vAxO1DyN-subtitled.jpg

He must have felt like interjecting hlMzt2LSvcph.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Martin spent €4,000 on a 2 night stay in a hotel when he was minister. Yeah, very unlucky.

Small Beans on the overall scheme of things. Very wasteful and endemic of his political generation, or even worse his wife's aspirations. As I said, it is a shoulder shrug when it boils down. In fairness effeffers have an awful reputation for wasting state funds, there really is nothing to see here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

On the marriage referendum-this was largely an irrelevant PR spectacle because it's quite likely that gay marriage was already permissible here under existing equality legislation and could have been dealt with judicially.

sabat wrote: »
    On the marriage referendum-this was largely an irrelevant PR spectacle because it's quite likely that gay marriage was already permissible here under existing equality legislation and could have been dealt with judicially.

Make sure this gets included in the next eff eff election mandate. The yes voters will appreciate it. Considering they were in power for 50 years and never dreamt of delivering it.....

Get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

FG, nor anyone, to this day can't do anything due to the national bankruptcy in 2010.

We are still in the legacy of the economic collapse which was brought about by the mismanagement of the country by FF.

The legacy will be with us for decades.

Ok this conversation on Leo's future is being increasingly hijacked by members of the Fine Gael social media team and their spin of "never mind the last 10 years. It's still all FF's fault". However at only 33% satisfaction in this morning's Sunday Times poll it's pretty clear that the public aren't buying that bullsh1t any more. Leo is down to 38% satisfaction and falling. It's clear that the public have lost faith in him and he is dragging FG down with him. That's why the discussion is starting on what Leo does next and Kermit and the other members of the FG spin team would be better off deciding which horse Simon or Pascal they are going to back to try and win back the public support.

touts wrote: »
    Ok this conversation on Leo's future is being increasingly hijacked by members of the Fine Gael social media team and their spin of "never mind the last 10 years. It's still all FF's fault". However at only 33% satisfaction in this morning's Sunday Times poll it's pretty clear that the public aren't buying that bullsh1t any more. Leo is down to 38% satisfaction and falling. It's clear that the public have lost faith in him and he is dragging FG down with him. That's why the discussion is starting on what Leo does next and Kermit and the other members of the FG spin team would be better off deciding which horse Simon or Pascal they are going to back to try and win back the public support.

If the only thing the effeffers are offering is that the Teashop is unpopular they really are struggling at this point.

Opening up a crank thread on an online forum is not going to secure votes either.

At this rate Leo can be looking forward to another 3 to 4 years come the summer. Cranking won't work, you need to find interesting issues that will gain votes. As I alluded to earlier on, the majority of voters in Irelnad don't care about homelessness, they don't like it but they know well that Mickie Martin will not be solving it. The Hospital issue is a complete waste of time. No votes will be gained here cranking this one, it will be washed off with a bit of decent PR.

The main reason that the effeffers will be losing seats is that they are a stagnant party offering no solutions and no viable alternatives. They are losing votes left right and centre, their main support base is withering. Headless chickens spring to mind, it is really sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    The main reason that the effeffers will be losing seats is that they are a stagnant party offering no solutions and no viable alternatives. They are losing votes left right and centre, their main support base is withering. Headless chickens spring to mind, it is really sad.

The desperate attempt to deflect from the abysmal failures under not just Leo's but Enda's government in your post is amusing but the above quote is massively ironic - why? Because it precisely describes the situation FG find themselves in now!

Or maybe you missed the local elections, falling polls, increasing anger from the electorate with regards to the worsening situations in health, housing, insurance and the other serious issues that have developed into national crisis under their watch.

As for the headless chickens comment - considering FG is currently led by a man who has no real agenda or identity beyond using the office as a means to meet Kylie and boost his Twitter profile, that's a laughable statement in itself.

FG and their supporters are always their own worst enemies in the end. They genuinely can't see the hypocrisy and arrogance I think, and really believe that spin and smear is enough to make the electorate forget about the uncomfortable truths I refer to above, when in the end they have only themselves to blame for the situation they find themselves in.

As I keep saying.... FG - making FF electable again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Avoiding a hard border is the greatest political victory since the GFA. He runs a country burdened by debt with out of date infrastructure and a history of corruption. He is a very good debater, very smart and represents the country well. I am just glad we weren't represented by enda during Brexit negotiations, I think he would not have had the neck for it.

The country is falling apart but I don't see how a change in leadership solves the issues with healthcare, insurance, public transport, gardai etc etc. When I think about politicians that actually stole from the state i.e. Haughey, varadkar by comparison is like Nelson Mandela. I recoil Everytime I read homophobic slurs masquerade as 'humour' from posters regarding leo, it's embarrassing.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The desperate attempt to deflect from the abysmal failures under not just Leo's but Enda's government in your post is amusing but the above quote is massively ironic - why? Because it precisely describes the situation FG find themselves in now!

Or maybe you missed the local elections, falling polls, increasing anger from the electorate with regards to the worsening situations in health, housing, insurance and the other serious issues that have developed into national crisis under their watch.

As for the headless chickens comment - considering FG is currently led by a man who has no real agenda or identity beyond using the office as a means to meet Kylie and boost his Twitter profile, that's a laughable statement in itself.

FG and their supporters are always their own worst enemies in the end. They genuinely can't see the hypocrisy and arrogance I think, and really believe that spin and smear is enough to make the electorate forget about the uncomfortable truths I refer to above, when in the end they have only themselves to blame for the situation they find themselves in.

As I keep saying.... FG - making FF electable again!

Health - Does not affect FG voters. They are predominantly all working and have private health insurance. Dissing the HSE is a waste of time. It is another cobweb from the old regime.

Housing - this is not a middle class issue, they won't be losing votes here either. The homelessness issue just gets bandied about down the pub by the shoulder shrugging brigade. No one is ever going to vote for Fianna Fail because people are homeless. What a joke.

Insurance - A witless crank scheme. If anyone gains votes here it will be the left wing and a few independent cranks. The usual cronies won't be switching sides here because premiums are increasing.

You sound like an ardent effeffer. That's fine. But unless you actually bring alternatives to the table your party is doomed. Polls don't win elections, neither does a bit of bad press.

• Advertisement

The incumbent will always be vilified, it's always been that way, it is easier to be destructive than constructive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I'm just glad we were represented by Coveney during Brexit and not Leo.

Oh I forgot the leader is only responsible for any failures within the departments, his reports are responsible for any achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

I just want him gone, hopeless uneducated politician, an embarrassment internationally.

Avoiding a hard border is the greatest political victory since the GFA. He runs a country burdened by debt with out of date infrastructure and a history of corruption. He is a very good debater, very smart and represents the country well. I am just glad we weren't represented by enda during Brexit negotiations, I think he would not have had the neck for it.

The country is falling apart but I don't see how a change in leadership solves the issues with healthcare, insurance, public transport, gardai etc etc. When I think about politicians that actually stole from the state i.e. Haughey, varadkar by comparison is like Nelson Mandela. I recoil Everytime I read homophobic slurs masquerade as 'humour' from posters regarding leo, it's embarrassing.

It's hardly a glowing reference is it

Stick with Leo, he is useless f**ker, but he is our useless f**ker :-)

Uneducated? What? I can only think of Garret Fitzgerald as being a more educated taoiseach in the history of the state. Maybe there was another one in there.

I think we expect too much from our leaders and that's how we end up with cowboys, who get by on charm alone as they swindle us for their own personal gain. Give me boring anyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

He knows the reality is that the big decisions are EU wide and intercontinental at this stage. Local branch doesn't have any real power to say no for fear of the smear campaign that would be launched against that country e.g. hungary, england, poland and russia. So Taoiseach is really just a caretaker job.

You can see how life went on for how long after the last GE in 2016 before this rag tag govt. was formed. That was a wake up call IMO. Plus the trouble Britain has had trying to implement their own vote from mid 2016. Shocking stuff. You might not like the result but try and respect democracy.

I just want him gone, hopeless uneducated politician, an embarrassment internationally.

Uneducated? you can't accuse him of that......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Uneducated? you can't accuse him of that......

There's a lot more to education than a few years in college playing with the debating society.
    The man has no real life experiences.

Advertisement