Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar post Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

There's a lot more to education than a few years in college playing with the debating society.
    The man has no real life experiences.

I'm not a fan of his at all, but he would have had to complete a fairly exhaustive medical traineeship, and I believe he practiced also for a while before becoming a TD. That's fairly real world to me.

Do we want our TDs to be a minimum of 50 years old and to produce a checklsit resume or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Leo will do the late late to announce his new project, writing a book about being Irelands first gay taoiseach and with some chapters about other gay european leaders, then he'll go on to be head of a quango or NGO.

a spineless leader who caved in on all his ideals to win the praise of bitchy twentysomething students on twitter with all his social progressivism.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

As bad as Varadkar is as Taoiseach the thoughts of Micheal Martin in the bosses chair is unthinkable, this guy was in a Government that lied to the people about the IMF coming here until Chopra was nearly getting off the plane in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

BumperD wrote: »

I have seen nobody give him racist or homophobic abuse.....

Everyone thinks he is useless becuase in fact he is useless

Is that the parade that he walked along with a certain person who shall not be named.....some person to complain about abuse when walking in a parade with that chap!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

His actual comments:
    “I've very little to complain about, much less so than other people who I'm sure have experienced the kind of racism I've never had or have experienced the kind of homophobia I've managed to avoid so I don't like to engage in complaining about it or any self pity because I think that's disrespectful to those who've experienced the kind of racism that I could never imagine,”

As bad as Varadkar is as Taoiseach the thoughts of Micheal Martin in the bosses chair is unthinkable, this guy was in a Government that lied to the people about the IMF coming here until Chopra was nearly getting off the plane in Dublin.

also true, its a contest of very spineless leaders at the moment. MM is just as interested in appeasing the internet and not actually doing anything.

His actual comments:
    “I've very little to complain about, much less so than other people who I'm sure have experienced the kind of racism I've never had or have experienced the kind of homophobia I've managed to avoid so I don't like to engage in complaining about it or any self pity because I think that's disrespectful to those who've experienced the kind of racism that I could never imagine,”

The Taoiseach previously spoke about his experience racism in school in the book ‘Leo Varadkar - A Very Modern Taoiseach’.

Mr Varadkar said he remembered three incidents of being targeted by bullies because of his background - including one episode which involved one of his teachers.

"It happened so rarely that I can only remember two or three occasions. But the fact that I can remember them speaks for itself," he said.

Victim Tourism rolled out for Christmas. Available at all good bookshops.

I do find it strange that people think MM made a decision to lie. At that stage the country was on its knee. The whole thing could go belly up at the drop of a hat

People are very easy to lose the plot and suddenly start pulling all their money out of bank which end up closing the whole place down altogether.

Any economist/banking/government person would say straight away dont let it get any worse. I am not saying FF are part of the mess but really what did you expect them to do? tell everyone the sh*t has hit the fan and we are begging Europe to get us out of this hole? if they did every person in the country would be standing at the door of AIB/BOI trying to pull all their cash out.....which would cripple the banks and send ireland into a worse situation.

The horse was bolted a long time before IMF even got a phone call....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

If people don't care about the taoiseach's sexuality, why is it referred to in so many posts. I don't remember people talking about enda's heterosexuality. I feel like 'spineless' and 'progressive' is used as a lazy euphemism for gay also. I would think his views and policies are actually quite conservative but because of his sexuality everything must be framed as if he is a progressive liberal. There is a certain faction that just hate that a gay man who doesn't 'look' Irish is representing the country, I just think it's an added bonus.

He writes about his honest experiences as a child and doesn't even play the sympathy card but somehow that makes him a target of derision also, it's very clear why that is so. How dare he have a personal experience and be allowed to express it! [Sarc]The absolute hairy fairy progressive gay pride March spineless immigrant lover!!!![\sarc]

Now the legitimate complaints about healthcare and transport and housing I can respect.

• Advertisement

If people don't care about the taoiseach's sexuality, why is it referred to in so many posts. I don't remember people talking about enda's heterosexuality. I feel like 'spineless' and 'progressive' is used as a lazy euphemism for gay also. I would think his views and policies are actually quite conservative but because of his sexuality everything must be framed as if he is a progressive liberal. There is a certain faction that just hate that a gay man who doesn't 'look' Irish is representing the country, I just think it's an added bonus.

He writes about his honest experiences as a child and doesn't even play the sympathy card but somehow that makes him a target of derision also, it's very clear why that is so. How dare he have a personal experience and be allowed to express it! [Sarc]The absolute hairy fairy progressive gay pride March spineless immigrant lover!!!![\sarc]

Now the legitimate complaints about healthcare and transport and housing I can respect.

As I am the only one who called him spineless in this thread ill assume this is targeted at my post. I dont see how spineless could be used in any way as a euphamism for him being homosexual, I have no issue with that and want to make it very clear that your post the only one injecting any kind of air of homophobia or anti leo because of his sexuality / parents immigration into this thread. Everyone has managed to stay above board and only criticise the guy for policy and his conduct in politics.

I did not refer to Leo’s sexuality. However, Leo littered his interview with comments about his sexuality, which, I guess, will lead people to discuss aaaahhhh his sexuality. I do not recall Enda doing an interview on his sexuality, but I could be wrong.

Poor Leo. The victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Why were you a big fan?

He was a dismal failure in his ministerial roles. He has always been the personification of fur coat no knickers.

In fairness I had to get to the second page.

I suppose you could have gone with mutton dressed as lamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I’ve seen many a comment on boards where he is mocked for his sexuality, thankfully the majority of these posts are deleted. He has also been compared to a nan bread on this very thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,014 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Leo is not at all convincing as a leader.
    He is indecisive and flip flops far too much as can be seen in how he dealt with Verona Murphy and Maria Bailey.
    He was poor as Minister for Health and just carried on that trend into his leadership. I think the Europeans like him because they can bend him whatever way they like. He’s not very convincing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I’ve seen many a comment on boards where he is mocked for his sexuality, thankfully the majority of these posts are deleted. He has also been compared to a nan bread on this very thread.

It's 2019. Most people don't give a crap who sleeps with who nowadays so long as no one gets hurt.

But it does allow legitimate criticism to be sidelined and deflected as we can see here in the last few posts as the topic veers to Leo's sexuality and experiences as a gay man in Ireland.

As such, the point of the article has probably been achieved. Just as how him "coming out" on national radio (after the polls were indicating overwhelming support for a Yes vote, and despite it being an apparently open secret in political and media circles) was designed to set him up as the poster child for modern, progressive Ireland.

And similarly, that worked too with his ascension to the Taoiseach's office despite a poor and uneventful stint in the 2 ministries he had prior to that. Indeed much was written about him being the first gay prime minister of Ireland - as if that had any bearing on his competence for the job.

The guy is all spin and populism. Nothing of substance behind it, and his sexuality has f-all to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Health - Does not affect FG voters. They are predominantly all working and have private health insurance. Dissing the HSE is a waste of time. It is another cobweb from the old regime.

Housing - this is not a middle class issue, they won't be losing votes here either. The homelessness issue just gets bandied about down the pub by the shoulder shrugging brigade. No one is ever going to vote for Fianna Fail because people are homeless. What a joke.

Insurance - A witless crank scheme. If anyone gains votes here it will be the left wing and a few independent cranks. The usual cronies won't be switching sides here because premiums are increasing.

You sound like an ardent effeffer. That's fine. But unless you actually bring alternatives to the table your party is doomed. Polls don't win elections, neither does a bit of bad press.

The above post highlights exactly why FG are sliding in the polls.

To suggest that the price of housing, health care or insurance doesn't affect the average FG voter (or potential voter) displays a disconnect and arrogance that is frankly staggering!

The post above makes it sound like we're living in some sort of 18th/19th century world of Lords and Ladies who don't have to bother themselves with such concerns for those are the troubles of the peasants or staff of the Manor :rolleyes:

Rarely have I seen a post that so ably displays what is wrong with FG or their most dedicated supporters, but credit where credit is due - you've managed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Anyone who is unable to advance beyond describing someone's physical appearance or sexual preference is someone who is not really worth listening to. Think about it: if the worst thing you can say about someone is something that is outside of that person's control, and does not negatively affect you in the slightest, what does that say about your position? Equally, on the flip side, if the main reason someone lauds a public person is due to similar, superficial aspects, what does that say about their judgement?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The above post highlights exactly why FG are sliding in the polls.

Polls never won an election.
    To suggest that the price of housing, health care or insurance doesn't affect the average FG voter (or potential voter) displays a disconnect and arrogance that is frankly staggering!

The houses are still cheaper than when the effeffers poured the economy down the gutter. The HSE was set up by Bertie's government. The insurance issue is a bit meh if I am honest. Joe Duffy stuff. No one changes political allegiance over the price of their car insurance. Desperate straw clutching if you ask me, lazy enough.
    The post above makes it sound like we're living in some sort of 18th/19th century world of Lords and Ladies who don't have to bother themselves with such concerns for those are the troubles of the peasants or staff of the Manor :rolleyes:

Now you are just being rude. My opinion on phantom issues created by dull Effeff PR spin simply will not be generating an increase in support for a dying party. The best you can really hope for at this point is to revamp the party and rebrand. But Mickie Martin is not going to get you there, please be honest about that. Talk about the blind leading the blind, it really is hysterical.
    _Kaiser_ wrote:
    Rarely have I seen a post that so ably displays what is wrong with FG or their most dedicated supporters, but credit where credit is due - you've managed it.

In fairness I can only vote once, my opinion is not going to increase eff eff popularity, for starters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

Hopefully he fcuks off. He's useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Look at the sheer amount of greed at Xmas nowadays.

Was observing in Blanchardstown shopping centre today.

Kids are absolutely spoiled beyond belief.

Years ago we would have been happy with one toy now it’s 10.

We’ll hear in January that parents haven’t got the money to feed their kids who are living in poverty and the government is to blame.

Zero personal responsibility and financial planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It's 2019. Most people don't give a crap who sleeps with who nowadays so long as no one gets hurt.

But it does allow legitimate criticism to be sidelined and deflected as we can see here in the last few posts as the topic veers to Leo's sexuality and experiences as a gay man in Ireland.

As such, the point of the article has probably been achieved. Just as how him "coming out" on national radio (after the polls were indicating overwhelming support for a Yes vote, and despite it being an apparently open secret in political and media circles) was designed to set him up as the poster child for modern, progressive Ireland.

And similarly, that worked too with his ascension to the Taoiseach's office despite a poor and uneventful stint in the 2 ministries he had prior to that. Indeed much was written about him being the first gay prime minister of Ireland - as if that had any bearing on his competence for the job.

The guy is all spin and populism. Nothing of substance behind it, and his sexuality has f-all to do with it.

I have to agree with Fr. Dougal here, there have been comments directed at his sexuality on here.

We have even had a user adopt as his username the name of the Taoiseach’s partner, and then spend every post criticising FG, and in my opinion the username was deliberately chosen as an underhand sly dig to appeal to homophobes by putting up in lights, don’t forget that he is gay.

blanch152 wrote: »
    I have to agree with Fr. Dougal here, there have been comments directed at his sexuality on here.

We have even had a user adopt as his username the name of the Taoiseach’s partner, and then spend every post criticising FG, and in my opinion the username was deliberately chosen as an underhand sly dig to appeal to homophobes by putting up in lights, don’t forget that he is gay.

Nothing to see around here blanch.

A blind eye is turned.

Boards/journal.ie same crew.

You can make your own mind up on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Ahhhh.....

FFS...

It didn't take long.

The reason's for Leo's unpopularity - 'I believe it's down to the racists and the homophobes, Ted'

Suckit wrote: »
    Ahhhh.....

FFS...

It didn't take long.

The reason's for Leo's unpopularity - 'I believe it's down to the racists and the homophobes, Ted'

Don’t think anyone suggested that was the reason for Leo’s unpopularity.

Don’t think anyone suggested that was the reason for Leo’s unpopularity.

Like to throw it around though.. A couple of posts already.

The truth is, he is nothing short of pathetic. I don't care if I'm a patheticist. When one is in charge of a Country, it's obvious they are not the people for the job.

Edit - If there are idiots that specifically go after sexuality or race (on here) - Ignore them. Don't even refer to them. I learned that at a very young age.

Suckit wrote: »
    Like to throw it around though.. A couple of posts already.

The truth is, he is nothing short of pathetic. I don't care if I'm a patheticist. When one is in charge of a Country, it's obvious they are not the people for the job.

Ok

Nothing to see around here blanch.

A blind eye is turned.

Boards/journal.ie same crew.

You can make your own mind up on that one.
    OK. :rolleyes:
    :terribleattempt:

blanch152 wrote: »

If you look hard enough you will always find something to get offended about

Your looking real real hard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I did not refer to Leo’s sexuality. However, Leo littered his interview with comments about his sexuality, which, I guess, will lead people to discuss aaaahhhh his sexuality. I do not recall Enda doing an interview on his sexuality, but I could be wrong.

Poor Leo. The victim.

He responded to a specific question about discrimination with details about his own experiences with racism/homophobia, which he admitted were minimal. He deliberately played down the racism and homophobia he experienced which is the complete opposite of playing the victim card.

Advertisement