Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar post Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

blanch152 wrote: »
    I have to agree with Fr. Dougal here, there have been comments directed at his sexuality on here.

We have even had a user adopt as his username the name of the Taoiseach’s partner, and then spend every post criticising FG, and in my opinion the username was deliberately chosen as an underhand sly dig to appeal to homophobes by putting up in lights, don’t forget that he is gay.

Most people (myself included) wouldn't have had a Scooby-Doo what Leo's partner's name is/was/whatever until it was pointed out on these boards, but apart from that, I tend to judge people displaying homophobic tendencies based on what they post, not on the username they post under.

Personally speaking, I couldn't care less if Leo is hetro-homo or bisexual, it makes no odds to me who he goes to bed with at night, and I'm sure I am in the majority here.

It would be absolutely shameless to use his sexuality to try and block or hinder his career, just as it was equally shameless for leo and the FG party to piggy back on his sexuality to try and bolster the party/Leo's profile, which (imo) is exactly what they did when leo conveniently outed himself on the radio, and has been consistently photographed at gay pride events etc since.

Leo should be judged on his hypocrisy, his indecisiveness and his no substance but plenty of sound bite.

His sexuality is a red herring that only the most vocal and loyal fans throw out there when they get stumped in defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Yes FF had to get finger pointed at them

But then again the common person has to also look at themselves. Gobs**ts buying houses for over 500k with no savings and terrible wages. Crash or no crash they would never have paid off the house

Everyone wanted to get on the property ladder....didn't matter if they could or couldnt pay for it

Move on 10 years....different government, everyone has seen what happened in the crash. Guess what we are doing again?

Now this time people are bitching and moaning because the Central Bank won't let them take out a mortgage that they will never be able to repay.

As I said FF did have questions to answer, so do the public, who have learned absolutely zero from it.

Leo has done zero in the time he has been in. He will claim the abortion vote and the equality. But on equality he held back till he seen the reaction of the country and then came running out to jump on bandwagon. He done f**k all for abortion to be honest. Again waited to see the polls and then jumped on bandwagon

Insurance he has done nothing now for how many years. The children hospital, the perfect site is in his constituacy and he didn't move it. Every person in the country could tell you it was a f**king disaster and shock horror it is.

The HSE is a mess, his dad is a doctor so he should have some experience. The rural BB, he managed to f**k that up when he handed over all the "good" customer to Eir outside the BB process and then all the bidder withdrew. Thats why it is 3 billion or whatever now, nto that Eir cared when they came out and said they could do for 1 billion. Talk about sticking knife in back....

He has a catalogue of f**k up which cannto be discounted. If and I know big IF the crash never happened, he would have been kikced out years ago. He is hanging on because of Brexit, that is over now and off he goes on his mery way> I liked him, I used to live in his area and watched him move up from junior to his current role. I thought he would do good.....but he is useless

Please can we put this myth that EIR could do it for 1 billion to bed.

If anyone goes into the NMB thread it will show that’s its just lies and impossible from EIR proven to just be stirring it up.

Anything the government announces people just go with a view they seen on facebook that the plan is flawed and could be done cheaper and better without no credible links or evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Yurt! wrote: »
    There is a big enough Coveney faction in the parliamentary party to make him the inevitable FG leader after an election defeat.

A good thing probably, Leo has been a very watery Taoiseach and a few years in most people don't know what he's about. He's an aloof CEO / managerial type. Looking at him on the television, I just don't get the sense he cares all that much - kind of like he's managing an account rather than leading a nation.

I'd much rather have an aloof CEO type who was managing the economy properly than some backslapping "I love me pint and me bit of GAA" shyster like Bertie Ahern who destroys the country by throwing money at everyone to buy votes. That's what you'll get with Martin.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/irish-consumers-to-spend-5bn-over-the-festive-season-971981.html?fbclid=IwAR2a_aBC9srDMf3c6e9XHID4QOncfgG224G9eQAS5HtRBwll5Er-z6k8Bes

Irish consumers are expected to spend over €4.9bn over the Christmas season.
    The latest Retail Ireland Christmas Retail Monitor shows that the figure is up from €4.75bn in 2018.

The countries on its knees!!

No one can afford rent and we’re living in poverty!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Look at the sheer amount of greed at Xmas nowadays.

Was observing in Blanchardstown shopping centre today.

Kids are absolutely spoiled beyond belief.

Years ago we would have been happy with one toy now it’s 10.

We’ll hear in January that parents haven’t got the money to feed their kids who are living in poverty and the government is to blame.

Zero personal responsibility and financial planning.

Please provide the stats on your Blanchardstown observations which brought you to the 10 presents per child conclusion? Ya big loon :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

If anyone goes into the NMB thread it will show that’s its just lies and impossible from EIR proven to just be stirring it up.

Anything the government announces people just go with a view they seen on facebook that the plan is flawed and could be done cheaper and better without no credible links or evidence.

But the giving out good customer to Eir outside the process made the real f**k up of it? That was all FG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Jonny one wrote: »
    If Michael Martin is Taoiseach in a few months time will Leo stick around leading the opposition?

Leo will have a cushy number in the EU or the UN. That’s what he’s been angling for since he became Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

McMurphy wrote: »
    Most people (myself included) wouldn't have had a Scooby-Doo what Leo's partner's name is/was/whatever until it was pointed out on these boards, but apart from that, I tend to judge people displaying homophobic tendencies based on what they post, not on the username they post under.

Personally speaking, I couldn't care less if Leo is hetro-homo or bisexual, it makes no odds to me who he goes to bed with at night, and I'm sure I am in the majority here.

It would be absolutely shameless to use his sexuality to try and block or hinder his career, just as it was equally shameless for leo and the FG party to piggy back on his sexuality to try and bolster the party/Leo's profile, which (imo) is exactly what they did when leo conveniently outed himself on the radio, and has been consistently photographed at gay pride events etc since.

Leo should be judged on his hypocrisy, his indecisiveness and his no substance but plenty of sound bite.

His sexuality is a red herring that only the most vocal and loyal fans throw out there when they get stumped in defence.

You may well be in the majority for whom Leo's sexuality doesn't matter, but there are a minority of homophobes to whom it does matter.

As for the username, why would someone deliberately choose the Taoiseach's partner as a username other than to draw attention to the Taoiseach's sexuality in an underhand sly way? When that poster then spends every waking moment on here criticising the Taoiseach and Fine Gael, well you don't need to be Einstein to figure out the motive.

I fully accept that the Taoiseach's sexuality has nothing to do with his politics, nor should it, but at the same time, when someone everytime they post criticism is also effectively through their username posting "Hey look, the Taoiseach is gay", then in my opinion, there are homophobic motives.

I will leave it there, as obviously boards.ie has no problem with said user adopting that username.

You may well be in the majority for whom Leo's sexuality doesn't matter, but there are a minority of homophobes to whom it does matter.

As for the username, why would someone deliberately choose the Taoiseach's partner as a username other than to draw attention to the Taoiseach's sexuality in an underhand sly way? When that poster then spends every waking moment on here criticising the Taoiseach and Fine Gael, well you don't need to be Einstein to figure out the motive.

I fully accept that the Taoiseach's sexuality has nothing to do with his politics, nor should it, but at the same time, when someone everytime they post criticism is also effectively through their username posting "Hey look, the Taoiseach is gay", then in my opinion, there are homophobic motives.

I will leave it there, as obviously boards.ie has no problem with said user adopting that username.

Totally agree, I’ve never seen anyone with a username of the wife of a TD.

Very weird.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

He is not the only homosexual TD in politics. Either way your sexuality has no significance on your performance.

There have been oodles of heterosexual types who have made a mockery and a shambles of this lovely country. God bless their lovely wives.

It will be interesting to see where the disgruntled eff eff vote goes this time. Who will benefit? They are lucky that a majority of their support comes from the stubborn brigade who are afraid of their grandad's ghost when it comes to actually voting with their hearts and heads as opposed to voting with their eyes. Tedious results are not progressive.

I can only imagine initially that the transfers will go to the greens and labour. Seemingly effeffers are under strict protocol and finger pointing instruction to not " under any circumstances" transfer their votes to " those useless nordie chunts " or " those Cumann na nGaedheal ****" . Subtle enough heartland electorate engineering. Baking the bread.

A hard rain is gonna fall my liddle dumplings. Cash in your backhanders now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I dont care what he does after he leaves office, as long as its in a different country.

Its far more important to get the country into that position in the first place. I voted FG in the last election and there aren't enough characters here to express just how much I despise this man. An utter failure, more concerned about his own image than doing his job. A spineless, pathetic coward who somehow managed to make it palatable to vote FF again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I was just reading how Mary Harney got a nice position with vague duties working for KPMG. Since leaving politics she's worked in the pharmaceutical and insurance industries.
    These people make connections and companies like a known name in the ranks, even if it's Harney.
    Varadkar will not stick around in politics. He's had the top job, it's not like he is any good at working for the people and tbf he doesn't seem to have any interest, going by his record.

You are behaving like a maladjusted child.
    I couldn't care less about his sexuality. You have raised it before inferring I'm homophobic. I have marched with Michael D. and Co. for equal rights for same sex couples. So cut the nonsense.
    It's called having the craic Blanch. What part of the country do the 152's hail from?
    You are a party hack. If you can't discuss things like an adult, leave me out of it.

I have to agree with Fr. Dougal here, there have been comments directed at his sexuality on here.

We have even had a user adopt as his username the name of the Taoiseach’s partner, and then spend every post criticising FG, and in my opinion the username was deliberately chosen as an underhand sly dig to appeal to homophobes by putting up in lights, don’t forget that he is gay.

I don't know how you get away with this bitter nasty behaviour at all.

Leo will have a cushy number in the EU or the UN. That’s what he’s been angling for since he became Taoiseach.

Unlikely the UN. They were on at FG over their supporting Vulture funds buying up areas and putting the average tax payer out of the running for a house. Then they were on to FG about the record breaking child homelessness numbers. So I can't see what the UN would consider a failure getting a post with them. Dara Murphy might return the favour and sort him out mind.

That's right Denis O'Brien's consortium were the only team on planet earth capable ;)
    Like everything Denis goes for....while Fine Gael are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

YEAH!!

And there's no way Siemens could have put in the water meters cheaper either!

:rolleyes:

Suckit wrote: »
    YEAH!!

If one of those French lads brought the right Minister out for a Big Mac meal, things might have worked out for them ;)

Suckit wrote: »
    YEAH!!

Ahh sure it was only a saving of 350m, why would you bother even discussing it

Ahh sure it was only a saving of 350m, why would you bother even discussing it

How many printers is that? ;)

• Advertisement

How many printers is that? ;)

You had the whispers which I wouldn't like to repeat as no evidence for the new Criminal Courts when that was been built....never made the papers

This did make the papers

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/cleaning-bill-criminal-courts-justice-13202957

The printer is just a drop in the ocean of the mindless waste of money by all departments of the government

You had the whispers which I wouldn't like to repeat as no evidence for the new Criminal Courts when that was been built....never made the papers

This did make the papers

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/cleaning-bill-criminal-courts-justice-13202957

The printer is just a drop in the ocean of the mindless waste of money by all departments of the government

Holy moley. If FF were actually in I'd be talking some FF councillor has a cleaning company, but the law and order party wouldn't be involved in such a thing *wink*.

That company have a very interesting resume from prisons to US homeland security, to cash security and event security and of course cleaning.

https://www.g4s.com/en-ie/what-we-do

Uproar at the fiver Christmas bonus mind :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

He responded to a specific question about discrimination with details about his own experiences with racism/homophobia, which he admitted were minimal. He deliberately played down the racism and homophobia he experienced which is the complete opposite of playing the victim card.

The whole article is about Leo the victim. Did you even read it?

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/people-treat-you-differently-varadkar-reveals-racist-and-homophobic-abuse-38807131.html?token=2004527349

2nd paragraph- he’s the Victim. Victim Card in print for you.

“ The Taoiseach also said he has been the victim of racism due to being mixed race but said he was thankful he had not suffered any physical violence due to his sexuality or family background.”

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

BumperD wrote: »
    The whole article is about Leo the victim. Did you even read it?

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/people-treat-you-differently-varadkar-reveals-racist-and-homophobic-abuse-38807131.html?token=2004527349

2nd paragraph- he’s the Victim. Victim Card in print for you.

“ The Taoiseach also said he has been the victim of racism due to being mixed race but said he was thankful he had not suffered any physical violence due to his sexuality or family background.”

Is that how you interpreted it?

You’re fairly wide of the mark.
    I’ve done well - I've very little to complain about, much less so than other people who I'm sure have experienced the kind of racism I've never had or have experienced the kind of homophobia I've managed to avoid so I don't like to engage in complaining about it or any self pity because I think that's disrespectful to those who've experienced the kind of racism that I could never imagine,” he added.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Is that how you interpreted it?

You’re fairly wide of the mark.

The Taoiseach said he was surprised by the amount of people who asked him if he was “going back to India” after it emerged his family would spend some time in his father Ashok Varadkar’s native country during the Christmas recess.

“They don't mean it that way but it is a way of thinking,” he said.

“I was born in the Rotunda. I'm not from India. People don't hear what they're saying sometimes but I've also never been somebody who goes on about it,” he added.

The Taoiseach’s father married Waterford woman Miriam Howell and they raised Mr Varadkar and his two sisters Sonia and Sophie in West Dublin.

On Friday, the Taoiseach said he had “very little to complain about” and said he suffered far less racism or homophobia than other people who have endured bigotry.

Doesn’t go on about it......except in an interview to national newspaper to splash across the print. That’s not an interpretation. I’m quoting verbatim from his interview.

Victim at Christmas

He’s right about one thing. He’s f all to complain about

TBF he can't be overly impressed with his achievements for the country.

The caretaker who over saw worsening crisis who had all the answers for everyone else's ministerial posts but his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

The Taoiseach said he was surprised by the amount of people who asked him if he was “going back to India” after it emerged his family would spend some time in his father Ashok Varadkar’s native country during the Christmas recess.

“They don't mean it that way but it is a way of thinking,” he said.

“I was born in the Rotunda. I'm not from India. People don't hear what they're saying sometimes but I've also never been somebody who goes on about it,” he added.

The Taoiseach’s father married Waterford woman Miriam Howell and they raised Mr Varadkar and his two sisters Sonia and Sophie in West Dublin.

On Friday, the Taoiseach said he had “very little to complain about” and said he suffered far less racism or homophobia than other people who have endured bigotry.

Doesn’t go on about it......except in an interview to national newspaper to splash across the print. That’s not an interpretation. I’m quoting verbatim from his interview.

Victim at Christmas

So why are you so upset that he is highlighting the racism that other people in Ireland have to suffer?

So why are you so upset that he is highlighting the racism that other people in Ireland have to suffer?

I don’t buy the narrative that Ireland is a nation of racists. Some bad eggs about you have that everywhere. Race and victim card wheeled out far too frequently. It’s the victim narrative I’ve an issue with. Anyway it’s all there in print from his interview. Read between the lines. He’s playing the victim card , subtly, but deliberately as we enter election year. Clever

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Highlighting it just seems more like an attempt to guilt people into voting him back in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I don’t buy the narrative that Ireland is a nation of racists. Some bad eggs about you have that everywhere. Race and victim card wheeled out far too frequently. It’s the victim narrative I’ve an issue with. Anyway it’s all there in print from his interview. Read between the lines. He’s playing the victim card , subtly, but deliberately as we enter election year. Clever

Personally I like to read the lines and nothing I'm between, otherwise I am prone to adding my own bias when things are ambiguous. It's not like he stated that there is a massive racism issue in Ireland relative to other countries. As far as I can comprehend he is pointing out that he anecdotally knows of people who have been racially abused but he has been pretty unscathed by it. I would share the exact same experience(except I receive zero racist abuse) and I am so white, I am borderline blue. Doesn't mean everything he said is not true. People are certainly not going to vote for him just because his dad was born in India, I don't see him playing the race card as a strategy to win votes. Maybe it's possible that he is using his position to highlight a not huge but growing issue in Irish society. No?

Advertisement