Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar post Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Personally I like to read the lines and nothing I'm between, otherwise I am prone to adding my own bias when things are ambiguous.

Can you rewrite this sentence so it makes some sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Can you rewrite this sentence so it makes some sense?

Certainly.

I like to interpret sentences literally rather than trying to derive extra meaning that may not be there. Since I have an inherent bias, I am likely to end up with an interpretation that is less true than the literal sentence. Because it is my bias, I am likely to accept that interpretation since it reinforces my view of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I thought my name sake made a good joke with "a lot done, more to do"
    The Egan interview was cringy but that's Egan. He had a whole section on his celebrity dinner party that included Twink ffs.
    On Varadkar's image I think in the beginning they were banking on a Trudeau, Maccron pretty boy, social media hype to carry the party further than it did, but that's ****ty policies and record breaking crises for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You are behaving like a maladjusted child.
    I couldn't care less about his sexuality. You have raised it before inferring I'm homophobic. I have marched with Michael D. and Co. for equal rights for same sex couples. So cut the nonsense.
    It's called having the craic Blanch. What part of the country do the 152's hail from?
    You are a party hack. If you can't discuss things like an adult, leave me out of it.

Isn’t that just the problem, though? People call it just having the craic when they indulge in a little bit of casual homophobia, wasn’t it all just harmless, a bit of a laugh, and sure isn’t my best friend gay? You wouldnt have taken the username Kathleen Reynolds when Albert was Taoiseach, but it is fair game to take the username of a Taoiseach’s partner if they are not straight, because it is having the craic in a juvenile way.

It says it all that you don’t even see the issue.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Isn’t that just the problem, though? People call it just having the craic when they indulge in a little bit of casual homophobia, wasn’t it all just harmless, a bit of a laugh, and sure isn’t my best friend gay? You wouldnt have taken the username Kathleen Reynolds when Albert was Taoiseach, but it is fair game to take the username of a Taoiseach’s partner if they are not straight, because it is having the craic in a juvenile way.

I'm attempting to discuss the political leader of Ireland, in a thread, funnily enough, about the political leader of Ireland.
    You and wheeliebin raised my handel before inferring it was some kind of homophobic thing. Now you've some new bright spark at it. Would somebody who dislikes gays use a name similar to a gay man? It means **** all to me. I rarely if ever mention it and certainly not his partner. His one redeeming quality is breaking ground for minorities despite not being any use at his job(s). You raise it every few months like it just dawned on you. Are you working from script?
    Just stick to discussing public figures comrade. You have a hang up about Varadkar being a gay man. Maybe you should address that?
    You're a spent docket lad. Look at what you've come down to. Pathetic nasty and spiteful comments on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Give it a rest Matt. You have an obsession with Varadkar and FG and your choice of username is very revealing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

My question is, who is Matt Barrett?

Give it a rest Matt. You have an obsession with Varadkar and FG and your choice of username is very revealing.

Are you trying to suggest its telling, like you couldn't place my opinions on FG otherwise? Would you stop being so clownish.

Why so interested in me? Get your own life maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Are you trying to suggest its telling, like you couldn't place my opinions on FG otherwise? Would you stop being so clownish.

Is it not ironic that you tell a poster to get a life whilst you’re assuming the name of a real person, the partner of the Taoiseach, to post on boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I don’t think you are homophobic, Matt. I do think your obsession with FG and deciding to share that obsession with the good people of Boards by naming yourself after the partner of the Taoiseach does come across as a bit deranged and creepy though.

It just doesn’t come across well, dude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Get your own life maybe?
    Jaysus Matt. That's a bit rich; you spend a good portion of your own life on your anti FG crusade.

I know we all need our hobbies but...

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Is it not ironic that you tell a poster to get a life whilst you’re assuming the name of a real person, the partner of the Taoiseach, to post on boards?

No. You see it's a name and I talk on politics generally. Why randos would take talk on politics so personally is the question.
    Are you obsessed with Ardal O'Hanlon?
    I don’t think you are homophobic, Matt. I do think your obsession with FG and deciding to share that obsession with the good people of Boards by naming yourself after the partner of the Taoiseach does come across as a bit deranged and creepy though.

It just doesn’t come across well, dude.

This isn't a thread about me, although its fast becoming one. Mods?
    It doesn't really I've never posted about the man. I'm being harangued by the party faithful alright. Maybe get this thread shut down too Johnny?
    Tough defending the indefensible, best play the man not the ball I suppose?

Phoebas wrote: »
    Jaysus Matt. That's a bit rich; you spend a good portion of your own life on your anti FG crusade.

I know we all need our hobbies but...

This is your comment on Varadkar post sitting on his hands?
    Boss you seem to be obsessed. I don't comment on you now do I? My favourite colour is blue by the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Personally I like to read the lines and nothing I'm between, otherwise I am prone to adding my own bias when things are ambiguous. It's not like he stated that there is a massive racism issue in Ireland relative to other countries. As far as I can comprehend he is pointing out that he anecdotally knows of people who have been racially abused but he has been pretty unscathed by it. I would share the exact same experience(except I receive zero racist abuse) and I am so white, I am borderline blue. Doesn't mean everything he said is not true. People are certainly not going to vote for him just because his dad was born in India, I don't see him playing the race card as a strategy to win votes. Maybe it's possible that he is using his position to highlight a not huge but growing issue in Irish society. No?

I am self aware of conscious ( and unconscious) bias. I am also aware the independent journalist may have attached more weight to certain comments that he did, to devote an entire article. Having said that, I stand over my review of his comments/ own words published.

He’s playing victim card. No need for it .

is_that_so wrote: »
    Why would he quit? The result will be tight anyway and still could go either way. It depends what platform or message both use to campaign on. We're not in Corbyn territory at all.

I reckon FG will be slaughtered in the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭mattser

BumperD wrote: »

Good man. Off to the bookies with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

He responded to a specific question about discrimination with details about his own experiences with racism/homophobia, which he admitted were minimal. He deliberately played down the racism and homophobia he experienced which is the complete opposite of playing the victim card.

Was he not opposed to same sex marriage at one stage?

blanch152 wrote: »

People take different names for a variation of reasons.
    There are some on here that have used different names at stages but we are not allowed to question why.
    Why should it be any different now.
    Ye without sin.....etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

No. You see it's a name and I talk on politics generally. Why randos would take talk on politics so personally is the question.
    Are you obsessed with Ardal O'Hanlon?

You see, Matt, Fr Dougal is a fictional character, it’s not actually a real person.

The name you have assumed, is that of a real person.

Massive difference.

charlie14 wrote: »
    People take different names for a variation of reasons.
    There are some on here that have used different names at stages but we are not allowed to question why.
    Why should it be any different now.
    Ye without sin.....etc.

Easier than speaking on the thread topic maybe.

He'll do alright. Probably head to the states if Dara can't sort him in the EU.

• Advertisement

I don`t know about slaughtered, but if he does not come back a Taoiseach then he may not stay leader of FG for long.
    He wasn`t popular with the grassroots to start with.
    Coveney waiting in the long grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

This is the thing.

Varadkar was NEVER popular.

The grassroots wanted coveney!? Ahead of him.

Varadkar spin doctors and allies somehow convinced the parliamentary party he was the man to lead FG. D4 media bubble in full effect.

It will end in tears (I won’t be crying though).

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,592 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Closing this thread while I review a number of reports

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,592 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK, this is a thread about Varadkar. Please discuss the topic and not other users. If you have a problem with what someone posts then report it and leave the modding to the mods. Attack the post, not the poster.

mattser wrote: »
    Good man. Off to the bookies with you.

Great response.

Great response.

Not being smart. Just can't see that happening. As of today I think you'll get decent odds on a hammering.

I cant see it being too bad for them. They'll likely lose but still be a strong opposition.
    I can't see Varadkar sticking around.

I cant see it being too bad for them. They'll likely lose but still be a strong opposition.
    I can't see Varadkar sticking around.

Fair comment Matt.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bunderoon

The two main parties are really one larger party. Have been for many decades.
    Every 4-8 years, the pissed off public fall for the other's promises and vote them back in. Big business wins each time and the other party gets to gorge more than they were able to when in opposition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

bunderoon wrote: »
    The two main parties are really one larger party. Have been for many decades.
    Every 4-8 years, the pissed off public fall for the other's promises and vote them back in. Big business wins each time and the other party gets to gorge more than they were able to when in opposition.

And everyone that votes for neither get screwed by the die-hards that think FF or FG are different and the best (in reality they just benefit greatly under the table or with rezoned land, or a government contract or made into a quango etc.)

It'll never end.

Advertisement