Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ram - pc stops detecting HDD

Options
  • 21-12-2019 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all. I added new ram to my pc recently and it's started to intermittently not detect one of my HDDs.

I had 8gb of ram (2x4) and I bought 16 (2x8) to bring me to 24. Initially it worked, but then I started getting the errors and then eventually the HDD stopped mapping altogether. Interestingly when I took out the OLD ram it started working just fine.

I suspect the issue is power supply. I've about 4 case fans, 3 hard drives (2ssd one 7200rpm HDD) a gtx 1060, the ram, and 6700 i5 in there. The psu is 650 wat, but not that new.

Does that sound possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It's unlikely to be the PSU, since RAM & HDDs use less than 15W each (whole system is likely drawing 250-280W at most).

Back up that HDD now, it could be on its way out.
    Also you shouldn't mix sticks like that, in general. All RAM should be same capacities & speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Thanks for that. The ram is same brand, clock speed etc. So I'd read that as long as I put them in the right slots it's fine.

I agree psu is unlikely, and I'm definitely going to back up the hard drive today. Even still, I'm fairly sure it's something else in the rig. The problems started instantly when I added more ram, and went away instantly when I removed the old stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Aye, that's why I wager it's to do with the sticks being unmatched capacity & causing some kind of conflict when it's trying to do dual-channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

errlloyd wrote: »

I had 8gb of ram (2x4) and I bought 16 (2x8) to bring me to 24.
    errlloyd wrote: »
    Thanks for that. The ram is same brand, clock speed etc.

How can they be the same. One is 4GB's and the other is 8GB's.

You can have problems with four 8GB's of stick where as two are from one manufacturer and the other two are from another.

Advertisement